As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cellfactor released.

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.cellfactorrevolution.com/_the_revolution_starts_may_8_/index.html

The free game meant to show off the Ageia PhysX card is available now for download. The card is not needed to play, but you're pretty fucked for performance if you don't have one.

Get downloading, and for the love of god you tech gurus please post any performance tweaks you can find or figure out for us non PPU owners..

CFR_Screenshot_4.jpg

CFR_Screenshot_5.jpg

http://www.cellfactorrevolution.com/_the_revolution_starts_may_8_/media/images/screenshots/CFR_2_2.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/724/724870/cellfactor-revolution-20060810032116462.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/724/724870/cellfactor-revolution-20060810032118931.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19209&type=mov&pl=game

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Looks pretty sweet. I saw a trailer for this on Vuze and looked ok.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So this game was made to shill physics cards?

Fuck it, then.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Fuck it, then.

it's free

what are you complaining about

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But you can play it without a PPU?

'cause it's fucking pretty.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Fuck it, then.

it's free

Yeah I know, I was just about to, :arrow:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2007

Fuck it, then.

it's free

Its connection to physics cards, which I loathe.

Rabble rabble rabble rabble

Though yeah, free is nice.

cloudeagle on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Fuck it, then.

it's free

What do you have against physics cards?

Couscous on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Fuck it, then.

it's free

What do you have against physics cards?

Ridiculous consumer exploitation of a piece of hardware you will never realistically need.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • kathoskathos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

Ridiculous consumer exploitation of a piece of hardware you will never realistically need.

But would love to have.

kathos on
    Brlito.png
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is this multiplayer only?

Lep on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lep wrote: »
    Is this multiplayer only?
    Bots too.

The_Spaniard on
    edited May 2007
    kathos wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »

But would love to have.

I dunno.

Cellfactor is the only game that needs it.

I have never been playing another game and thought 'man, if only I had some hardware solution to manage the physics'

Seriously, dual core CPUs are like under £100 now, they can manage nearly every physics solution in current games fine.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No there is singleplayer, my friend has a physx card I'm going to go to his place tonight and see what this is like with it.

bloodyroarxx on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Last time, they released a demo of this game. It said that you needed an Ageia PhysX card to run it properly. Lots of people ran the game without the PhysX card, and it ran slow/choppy.

Until a tweak was figured out -- the game had a config file, and if you told it to change a certain value, the game "thought" you had a PhysX card.

All of a sudden a lot of people WITHOUT PhysX cards were running the game great.. As in, on par with benchmarks running the PhysX card.

The demo was immediatley removed from the site once the tweak got out.

In short, I won't be bothering with this.

slash000 on
    edited May 2007
    No there is singleplayer, my friend has a physx card I'm going to go to his place tonight and laugh at him.

The_Spaniard on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow is that true? If so I hate this game even more. I thought putting out a game as a comercial for a shitty piece of hardware no one needs was bad, but that shit is fucked up.

also: Half-Life 2 already proved the physx card retarded years ago.

Drool on
    edited May 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Last time, they released a demo of this game. It said that you needed an Ageia PhysX card to run it properly. Lots of people ran the game without the PhysX card, and it ran slow/choppy.

Until a tweak was figured out -- the game had a config file, and if you told it to change a certain value, the game "thought" you had a PhysX card.

All of a sudden a lot of people WITHOUT PhysX cards were running the game great.. As in, on par with benchmarks running the PhysX card.

The demo was immediatley removed from the site once the tweak got out.

In short, I won't be bothering with this.
    Hahah the funny thing is that without even knowing that story, seeing other heavy physics using games I actually THOUGHT that they might be pulling a stunt like that.

The_Spaniard on
    edited May 2007
    Drool wrote: »
    Wow is that true? If so I hate this game even more. I thought putting out a game as a comercial for a shitty piece of hardware no one needs was bad, but that shit is fucked up.

It's absolutely true:

It was truly exciting to see this in action; it made people believe in the need for dedicated physics acceleration.

*img*
    This was the typical error message users would get before they could disable the need for the PhysX card.
    This was the typical error message users would get before they could disable the need for the PhysX card.

That was the case until the end of April, when the community figured out how to tweak the Cell Factor demo to run without the PhysX card. One of the members of our forums showed people how to play the demo without the PhysX card. The fix is simple: all you have to do is alter the command line in the shortcut to the demo on your desktop and, abracadabra, you now have a working demo that runs perfectly without the "required" hardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/19/is_ageias_physx_failing/page3.html

They talk about it here, at tomshardware, and a link to the tweak is here:
    http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/play-CellFactor-demo-PhysX-PPU-ftopict185393.html

Later, Ghost Recon was tested, which was said to benefit from the PhysX card. The benchmarks showed minimal increases in performance, and definitely not an improvement that would require a $300 purchase for the card. Which, laughably, that money could go to RAM or a better CPU or Video card to gain higher performance than is provided by the PhysX card itself.

slash000 on
    edited May 2007

It's absolutely true:

It was truly exciting to see this in action; it made people believe in the need for dedicated physics acceleration.

*img*

That was the case until the end of April, when the community figured out how to tweak the Cell Factor demo to run without the PhysX card. One of the members of our forums showed people how to play the demo without the PhysX card. The fix is simple: all you have to do is alter the command line in the shortcut to the demo on your desktop and, abracadabra, you now have a working demo that runs perfectly without the "required" hardware.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/play-CellFactor-demo-PhysX-PPU-ftopict185393.html

Later, Ghost Recon was tested, which was said to benefit from the PhysX card. The benchmarks showed minimal increases in performance, and definitely not an improvement that would require a $300 purchase for the card. Which, laughably, that money could go to RAM or a better CPU or Video card to gain higher performance than is provided by the PhysX card itself.
    Do you think tweaks will be released for this version? I have a high end computer and I'm getting 5-10FPS playing this thing. It's insulting to think that buying a PhysX card will suddenly nock it up a few dozen FPS to a playable rate seeing as the framerate doesn't dip when playing with the physics but is consistently bad even when nothing physics based is going on, for example at the beginning of a round before anybody has even had a chance to do anything.

The_Spaniard on
    edited May 2007
    Do you think tweaks will be released for this version? I have a high end computer and I'm getting 5-10FPS playing this thing.

I cannot say for sure, but what you can certainly bet on is that Ageia will do their damnedest to prevent tweaking the game in such a way that you can play it without the PhysX card at reasonable framerates. They'll certainly try to bury anything that could result in an easy method to 'trick' the game.

Especially after the 'demo fiasco.'

slash000 on
    edited May 2007

It's absolutely true:

*img*

Do you think tweaks will be released for this version? I have a high end computer and I'm getting 5-10FPS playing this thing. It's insulting to think that buying a PhysX card will suddenly nock it up a few dozen FPS to a playable rate seeing as the framerate doesn't dip when playing with the physics but is consistently bad even when nothing physics based is going on, for example at the beginning of a round before anybody has even had a chance to do anything.

Seriously? Wow, and here I was just thinking physics cards were expensive and unnecessary. Nice bit of fraud, there.

cloudeagle on
  • GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, sounds ridiculously shady to me. I'll give it a try once a tweak gets released that bypasses the bogus "need" for a PhysX card.

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That article does go into the need for a Physx card when it comes to the cloth and fluid rendering. But Ageia disabled the fluid in software physics mode so they couldn't test that. The hardware fluid didn't look that compelling anyway. TH couldn't tell if it was the code that made them get 1fps when there was cloth on the screen or if it was just that intense. The cloth tearing demo they show'd was cool, but you can tell that ripped cloth has nothing to do with gameplay it just looks pretty.

HL2 didn't render cloth, but I know Left4Dead is modifying the source engine to handle some cloth and hair movement. I just don't think this will be anything but a gimmick untill Nividia or ATI come out with a physics processor on one of thier GPUs. Or more likely game companies start taking advantage of multicore systems more.

Drool on
    edited May 2007
    Ok nevermind you cannot play the singleplayer with out a physx card which is fucking kife.

Also I tired to start a skirmish and says I need a physx card to use extreme level physics and no where is there an option to change physics, looks like I'm goin on an .ini tweak fest.

bloodyroarxx on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is so dumb. The last thing PC gaming needs is another pricey card required to play. It's already substantially more expensive to play games on the PC, I hope devs are never stupid enough to force us to spend a couple hundred bucks more just to see fancy physics.

Zek on
    edited May 2007
    Ok nevermind you cannot play the singleplayer with out a physx card which is fucking kife.

Also I tired to start a skirmish and says I need a physx card to use extreme level physics and no where is there an option to change physics, looks like I'm goin on an .ini tweak fest.
    Just click the next level down. I believe it meant you couldn't play that level because of the extreme physics. It confused me at first then I just clicked the next map and it worked. It's very misleading..

The_Spaniard on
    edited May 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    This is so dumb. The last thing PC gaming needs is another pricey card required to play. It's already substantially more expensive to play games on the PC, I hope devs are never stupid enough to force us to spend a couple hundred bucks more just to see fancy physics, because noone will ever buy that shit and they will go out of business

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is so dumb. The last thing PC gaming needs is another pricey card required to play. It's already substantially more expensive to play games on the PC, I hope devs are never stupid enough to force us to spend a couple hundred bucks more just to see fancy physics.

Except they're not going to and never will force people to use the fraud physics cards. This game, which seems to me is little more than a tech demo, is just a sponsor for the card. Why can't people think anymore. Why would game developers suddenly limit their market from millions to the probably four people that actually own the card. PC developers make their games run on a large number of configurations so that they widen their audience. Most people don't have high end systems, so they make their game playable on the average machine, which is what most people do have. There are some games that do support the physics card, but that's all they do - support it instead of requiring it; and that's all that will ever happen.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited May 2007

Just click the next level down. I believe it meant you couldn't play that level because of the extreme physics. It confused me at first then I just clicked the next map and it worked. It's very misleading..

Yea it seems so,

Ok so real impressions against like 4 bots its a laggy mess but tooling around by myself it was ok.

Being a bishop was pretty cool lotsa awesome psy abilities. If this gets tweaked for better performance without a physx card I could totally see myself playing this at lans with buddies, or even over hamachi.

bloodyroarxx on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, all these arguments - almost exactly phrased as current - came up way back when graphics cards were introduced. Eventually, developers took advantage of the new hardware, and the results were stellar.

I don't forsee that happening this time - but it's entirely possible. Dedicated silicon can do wonderful things, and we've been told (and responded to the claim) that physics-based gameplay is the next big thing.

Imperfect on
    edited May 2007
    Imperfect wrote: »
    You know, all these arguments - almost exactly phrased as current - came up way back when graphics cards were introduced. Eventually, developers took advantage of the new hardware, and the results were stellar.

I don't forsee that happening this time - but it's entirely possible. Dedicated silicon can do wonderful things, and we've been told (and responded to the claim) that physics-based gameplay is the next big thing.

my only problem with it is now in the age of dual and even quad core processors, the physics could be offloaded on to a core.

bloodyroarxx on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

Except they're not going to and never will force people to use the fraud physics cards. This game, which seems to me is little more than a tech demo, is just a sponsor for the card. Why can't people think anymore. Why would game developers suddenly limit their market from millions to the probably four people that actually own the card. PC developers make their games run on a large number of configurations so that they widen their audience. Most people don't have high end systems, so they make their game playable on the average machine, which is what most people do have. There are some games that do support the physics card, but that's all they do - support it instead of requiring it; and that's all that will ever happen.

You could have said the same thing about video cards...

Zek on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

You could have said the same thing about video cards...

Yeah? No. Sure, back in the day, like one poster just said, they took advantage of the new hardware and results were stellar. Let's go forward in time to the AGEIA physics card, and they take advantage of the hardware and results were... oh look at that, you hardly gain anything. Even that demo that was released to show off the physics card ran marvelously on current hardware. They purposely made it, and now this "game," run bad to try and get people to buy their hardware. The dual and now quadcore CPUs are more than capable of dealing with physics, and will continue to become more powerful that a physics card will just take up extra space and money.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

my only problem with it is now in the age of dual and even quad core processors, the physics could be offloaded on to a core.
    Truth. With multi processor desktops becoming the norm, a dedicated card for physics math processing is exceptionally redundant.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would gladly pay $50 to maybe $100 for a physics card, but at the current prices its a joke. I love my ingame physics so much its not even funny.

The idea behind these cards is to allow something like this Star Wars Unleashed to happen with nearly every object in game.

Veevee on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is a joke, but all things considered, if there was a great game that made amazing use of a physics card, I'd buy one in seconds.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »

Truth. With multi processor desktops becoming the norm, a dedicated card for graphics processing is exceptionally redundant.

Yep.

zerg rush on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    3d accelerators, you mean?
    But it wasn't just that the developers took advantage of the hardware, it was that the hardware stopped sucking. Seriously, the very first 3d accelerators? Utter shit.

Glal on
    edited May 2007
    The analogy is different.

When 3d accelerators came around there was NO alternative.

With physics cards you could easily get a multi core CPU and let one core do all the work. It would probably work better because you dont have a complete extra card running stuff, its all onboard the CPU.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • LepLep Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man I can't even get this shit to run, maybe I need a PPU to render this awesome black screen. :x

Edit: nvm had to disable the haali media splitter to get it to run.

Lep on