Options

[Nintendo] Switch - Everyone is Here!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    Guys? What does the "P" on a P-Switch signify? Not even Mario Wiki knows, and Mario Wiki documents the most pointless minutiae.

Guessing it means power, like electricity. Turns out it's quantumly-entangled with whatever it's linked to.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm gonna guess Power as well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I prefer the P balloon. Dunno what the P is, but we know it's stored in the balloon

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    goddamnit

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    why would it stand for power that's an english word

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

There is an awful lot of English sprinkled through Japanese media. Especially in songs from what I've noticed.

• Options

Well P is also not a "letter" in Japanese so either it's a non-letter symbol we just assumed was supposed to be a P (possible) or it's standing in for an english word for, I dunno, flavor. Mario's American, after all.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    it probably means Reversal because it swaps coins an blocks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    it probably means Reversal because it swaps coins an blocks

but P switches do lots of other things too in other mario & related games besides that

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Possibility switch

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Well P is also not a "letter" in Japanese so either it's a non-letter symbol we just assumed was supposed to be a P (possible) or it's standing in for an english word for, I dunno, flavor. Mario's American, after all.
    I think you solved it: "P" means "Possibility".

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I'm down for whatever sort of system brings in the most people. Which means it'll probably have to be a balance of some things I don't like as much with the things that I do

The only system I refuse to engage in involves microtransactions--put a whiff of that in, and I'm out

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Plonker.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The P stands for P-Block, obvs

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    do we know what the P on the P-wing stands for?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

Piss.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Plane

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Peach?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

It was supposed to be an F but there was a pixel error

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Paku paku, meaning to flap one's mouth open and closed

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i assumed it was power, but piss makes sense.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Somebody should make a game based on that concept

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    See, the part I care about is planning the team out and trying it out. Everything in between is just grinding.

I can't indulge in trying all sorts of silly thimgs when it takes hours per team to get it together.

you're describing Pokemon Showdown

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    See, the part I care about is planning the team out and trying it out. Everything in between is just grinding.

I can't indulge in trying all sorts of silly thimgs when it takes hours per team to get it together.

So I should be forced to use something that's at best gray in legality to play the way I want to?

I don't have a problem with breeding as a concept, I have a problem with IVs and the whole push for perfect stats by RNG. It's the only case I can think of where a F2P style mindless grind was emergent gameplay instead of intended by developers. They keep trying to walk it back each generation and all it ever seems to do is help people who already have hacked dittos and such (it doesn't do much at all to help anyone trying to start from scratch, they merely keep changing the mindless crap you have to spend hours on), instead of just doing away with the whole thing.

If someone wants to actually breed perfect IVs onto pokemon in a multi-generation eugenics project let them, but it shouldn't give them an advantage in versus play. Hell, the games have been broken wide open since forever for people to edit stats, and I don't think they've ever been able to fix that or keep things like that out of official tournaments. IVs are fundamentally sacrificing gameplay for simulation. That was fine before the internet broke everything wide open and competitive play became a thing, but here, here are the only things IVs actually do in competitive:

1) Determine the type of Hidden Power
    2) Impose a mandatory grinding bar to entry

So let me repeat - if you want to have a perfect IV pokemon because you engaged in a eugenics in a series where that's the thing the bad guys do, go for it. But it shouldn't give you an advantage over people who don't want to invest hours into that to try some idea. The popularity of the official tournaments is 100% in spite of IVs and everything around them, because they do not add any decision points to the game beyond the above two items (the correct IVs are always 31 in everything, with 30s to manipulate Hidden Power or 0 speed for trick room, and that's it, anything else is trivially inferior).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

So I should be forced to use something that's at best gray in legality to play the way I want to?

i mean you're not forced to do anything

i'm just saying if that's the experience you want then that is an experience you can have

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    nintendo haven't sent them a C&D yet and it's been running for many many years now

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    nintendo haven't sent them a C&D yet and it's been running for many many years now

Hey, if you want to bring irrelevant points into the discussion, Nintendo can't send them a C&D because they aren't violating Nintendo's copyrights.

I'm going to be frank, the entire thing about defending IV grinding feels similar to when people argue complex inputs are good for fighting games (fuck 720s, etc). You'll see people talk about how it's about spacing and mind games and such, and input complexity has jack shit to do with that. It's the same thing here.

Or from another tack - my proposal of using a fixed stat line for competitive doesn't stop you from grinding out perfect IVs if you want to. But you seem to be proposing that the correct option is that I should be forced to grind to be able to be on a level playing field. What about that makes sense to you?

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I don't enjoy breeding because I find biking up and down a route over and over to be really boring.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Actually, here's a better response to that quip about showdown:

How about I make a breeding simulator and put that up online and you can just go use that while they do away with IVs? The math is simple, the rules public, the assets online, and I do UI building for my day job, so this will be easy. We'll all be happy that way, won't we?

Polaritie on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    that's called my 70 page college rule notebook where I mark down how many rattatas out of 252 i've ko'ed

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options

Hey, if you want to bring irrelevant points into the discussion, Nintendo can't send them a C&D because they aren't violating Nintendo's copyrights.

I'm going to be frank, the entire thing about defending IV grinding feels similar to when people argue complex inputs are good for fighting games (fuck 720s, etc). You'll see people talk about how it's about spacing and mind games and such, and input complexity has jack shit to do with that. It's the same thing here.

Or from another tack - my proposal of using a fixed stat line for competitive doesn't stop you from grinding out perfect IVs if you want to. But you seem to be proposing that the correct option is that I should be forced to grind to be able to be on a level playing field. What about that makes sense to you?

you're getting a little defensive in a way i don't think is really warranted

all bagel was saying was that she likes the grind. you don't and would like it removed. I also don't like it! but, our tastes aren't inherently better than hers

the kind of thing we want could only exist by erasing or severely diminishing something she likes. luckily, there is a way to play the game the way we would want to, officially or no. The competitive meta almost entirely lives on Pokemon Showdown for this exact reason. It's not ideal, I'd rather play in-game, but if all you want is to plan and try out different team comps with minimal time investment, then that is something that you can do.

• Options

you're getting a little defensive in a way i don't think is really warranted

all bagel was saying was that she likes the grind. you don't and would like it removed. I also don't like it! but, our tastes aren't inherently better than hers

the kind of thing we want could only exist by erasing or severely diminishing something she likes. luckily, there is a way to play the game the way we would want to, officially or no. The competitive meta almost entirely lives on Pokemon Showdown for this exact reason. It's not ideal, I'd rather play in-game, but if all you want is to plan and try out different team comps with minimal time investment, then that is something that you can do.

Sorry, I took your comment as being basically "well go play Showdown then" and maybe a bit more dismissive than I should have. I detest the IV setup from multiple angles. I want to just put together a team I designed to take on the battle tower and get the goodies there. But I can't stand not getting at least half-decent IVs and by the time I get a team together all the joy of the game is sucked out (it doesn't help that I gravitate towards "crazy idea" either). It's no fun to just do the old Truant Durant trick.

• Options

Pac Man

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i would play a breeding simulator. but if i don't have to catch the things to breed it is kind of a pointless experience.

• Options
    What's really crazy to me about IVs is the super-simplified version of Pokemon, Pokemon Go, still has them. If they were gonna ditch that concept I would have figured it'd be there, but I guess they wanted to preserve any systems that would make you spend more time catching Pokemon since that's the bulk of what that game is.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Change IVs so that instead of stats they affect how a pokemon looks slightly, tweaking their size and their thickness and their coloration and the placement of their markings

Apply that Spinda tech to everyone else

Kills them as a competitive gate while keeping them in as something you can breed for, and does wayyyyyy more to make your pokemon feel unique than 2 dozen stat points ever could

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Change IVs so that instead of stats they affect how a pokemon looks slightly, tweaking their size and their thickness and their coloration and the placement of their markings

Apply that Spinda tech to everyone else

Yeah, honestly, more varied Pokemon appearance would solve my concerns nicely.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Heck, make the traits dominant and recessive and pass down through punnett squares and use it as an opportunity to teach kids the basics of genetics

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Pac Man

Get outta town

• Options
    Heck, make the traits dominant and recessive and pass down through punnett squares and use it as an opportunity to teach kids the basics of genetics

Eh, Mendellian inheritance is barely applicable to human and a lot of animal biology and we're constantly finding more things we mistakenly believed was that isn't, so I'm kind of okay with not teaching it to kids as "the basis for biology".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

This discussion has been closed.