As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Legion] Begun the Clone Wars have.

• NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Aye, like @crimsoncoyote said, the starter scenario does not include any of the special weapons. Once those are in, there are certainly options, but starting out your only hope is a slow Vader stalk across the map toward it

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I mean it's also possible we included more rules than the L2P scenario assumes you do

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Current Status

w6ufavbm8psc.jpg

I can do a full Stormtrooper squad in one day of a weekend.

Need better red for Vader's saber.

Completely no idea how to base these guys. I still have a ton of static grass left over from my Imperial Guard days.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I have a shittier picture of my progress. I knocked out 4 stormtroopers and the AT-RT (with magnetized guns!) this weekend. 3 of the troopers have no grass or snow because they haven't gotten a spray of dullcote yet. The lighting is terrible in my den and there's not enough space on my desk right now so here it is.
    gPbyv7Rh.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    You guys are amazing

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Those bases look really good!

You can see my custom Stormtrooper of necessity standing to the right of the unpainted officer. He should be like the painted trooper being the painted officer. I got the right arms but the wrong torso. Looks okay cobbled together though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I should probably just order a second Core set. It ends up being cheaper than buying the same expansions. The only things you miss out on is the Impact Grenade and Grapple Hook upgrades (but those are also going to be in the snow troopers and fleet troopers) Comm Jammer (which seemed not very useful) and the alternate pose for the AT-RT driver and one Scout Trooper.

Plus a second set of templates, dice, and a free Vader and Luke for fun?

Also then I could paint the other Luke in this outfit.

pt8c7svw6ga4.png

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I think the comms jammer will be useful in larger games and in the future once we get new command cards. I can envision a few scenarios where negating a specific unit's ability to reliably be activate first could really c-block your opponent. I can totally see AT-RTs being real dicks with jammers but I think for speeders I'd go comm link almost 100% of the time.

If I had 2 speeder squads I might kit on out with a jammer to act as a backfield nuisance.

Grappling hooks though are way too reliant on terrain and I feel like most people so far are coming from X-Wing/Armada (no terrain) or 40k/WarmaHordes (basically no terrain) so we've not yet seen many that actually do terrain correctly (25%+ coverage). I personally want to play on near-Infinity levels of terrain.

I'm waffling on my not buying a 2nd Core set stance. Cards notwithstanding the combined retail price of the contents is $220 (!!!)

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I really want to start putting some terrain maps together but I have no idea where to even start and how to keep it affordable.

I kind of figured the actual expansion boxes would have different poses than the core set units, but it appears they do not... In that case, its a second core all the way

Okay. In two hours I took two squads of rebel troops from primed to almost done.

Those six hundred(?) 40k Imperial Guard infantry miniatures I’ve painted prepared me for this glorious day.

And a good part of that was working out the color ratios as simply as possible.

I am definitely out of practice. My hand is cramping.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Those six hundred(?) 40k Imperial Guard infantry miniatures I’ve painted prepared me for this glorious day.

The Emperor calls for great sacrifices, brother.

Nax wrote: »
    I kind of figured the actual expansion boxes would have different poses than the core set units, but it appears they do not... In that case, its a second core all the way

Actually I believe that the speeder and AT-RT pilots have different poses in the Core and expansion boxes. The expansion AT-RT pilot does not have his blaster in-hand and the expansion speeder pilots both have both hands on the controls.

I really hope we see different version of heroes though. I'd really like a pilot Luke and maybe Vader in different poses. I'd really like a Last Jedi hobo Luke .

Having @Stationary over for a bunch of Legion and Shadespire today! Hoping to see the AT-ST and Snowspeeder in action today

I obtained some more paints to slowly rebuild my now dried out and non existent paint collection.

No more mixing white and black paint to get grey for me anymore!

• alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    How are you guys decking out your Legion tables? I invested heavily in imperialterrain.com STL files and my printer has extruding like an anus after an all prune diet for a week since I got them getting ready for game days coming up!

I would love 3d printed terrain.

I think Im going to start making themed 3x3 panels that can interchange to make varied 6x3 boards. I'm thinking maybe 3 panels of each theme (snow, desert, blasted plains, etc) so its not always the same 3 or 4 variations of each.

Going to buy a very large sheet of pink insulation foam next weekend and start working on some buildings

I've almost finished painting the whole core set. Just got the basing on a rebel squad and storm trooper squad, which is drying now.

I then ordered a second core set since Amazon had it just now for $71.

edited April 2018
    Also now I am looking at a Battlefoam case to carry all this shit. I own a 1520 XL that I needed to carry even a normal sized Imperial Guard army back in the day but that seems overkill right now. Plus the 40k foam is not thick enough for Legion figures? I think?

They have a 352 pack with some legion specific foam. Might just get that and call it a day.

*Edit* It seems that the actual battlefoam foam in the 1520XL would fit the normal troopers but Vader and Luke are iffy. Also fun fact. Opened that thing up for the first time in forever. Found most of my armored company, a Valkyrie and an entire platoon of Chimeras. I'd wondered where those went. Also an army list from 4th edition and my lucky/rigged scatter die.

*Edit* Edit* I just rolled this scatter die five times in a row. Four hits then I pointed in a direction and it rolled an arrow in that direction. Yup. Still got it!

Librarian's ghost on

I really want to paint my Stormtroopers, but I have three problems:

1. I cant find my black primer
    2. I need to go buy a dry brush that is less than 1" thick
    3. I kinda feel like I want to paint them a color other than white? I'm not sure...

I really want to paint my Stormtroopers, but I have three problems:

1. I cant find my black primer
    2. I need to go buy a dry brush that is less than 1" thick
    3. I kinda feel like I want to paint them a color other than white? I'm not sure...

How I painted mine,

White spray. Drybrush white over them to bring the total color up. Nuln Oil on the seams of the armor. Black on exposed under suit and gun. Detail white to clean up any oil run over. Done.

You can actually lightly dry brush the white on the last step to good effect on the legs and arms as well.

I was trying to come up with a dead simple way to paint them with minimal effort/materials since I'm going to be involved with an intro night at my FLGS next Saturday and I know I'm going to need a hook to help massage the fears of people who have only ever played pre-painted/assembled games like X-Wing or Armada.

So I think this would work really well (and actually look pretty good):
    Materials:
    • Army Painter uniform gray primer
    • Some good white paint like GW Ceramite white
    • Black paint
    • Texture paint in color of choice
    • Appropriate dry paint to highlight texture paint
    • Detail brush
    • Dry brush
    1. Prime/basecoat with uniform gray
    2. Heavy drybrush with white
    3. Pick out details/gun in black
    4. Apply texture paint to base
    5. Drybrush texture paint
    6. Paint base rim black

Also I played 2 starter games this weekend and both were really awesome. I took both rebels and imperials for a spin. I also picked up an AT-ST.

edited April 2018
    My plan was to go this route:

Thoughts?

I can drybrush pretty well (as if thats a real skill), especially for terrain:
    41287137612_1c089189b0_b.jpg

but when it comes to an actual model, my skills and brush control are fairly limited. It is not something I have ever really done at all

Nax on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My plan was to go this route:

Thoughts?

I can drybrush pretty well (as if thats a real skill), especially for terrain:
    41287137612_1c089189b0_b.jpg

but when it comes to an actual model, my skills and brush control are fairly limited. It is not something I have ever really done at all

Personally that seems like a very odd way to get to a mostly white model to me. Starting with a black primer and working up?

I much prefer the method in this video, prime white, do the other details, add some shading to the armor in the recessed areas and be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizZYApqGbU

Yeah, I have no confidence that I would be able to actually neatly paint any of the black details

I would love 3d printed terrain.

Here are the pieces that are printed so far, not painted yet stormtrooper for scale.

A House, some scatter of boxes and tanks, a mechanics house, 3 vaporators, and a repulsor truck with truck bed. A big mechanics bay is printing off next followed by some more houses and a landing bay.
    eHmqN2V.jpg

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Dang, how big is your printer?

Big enough

It’s a monoprice makes select v2 I believe the bed is 200mmx200mm it takes a while to print the big pieces but I’ve been very happy with it so far

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I did plenty of Imperial Assault stormtroopers. Trying to get a good white on areas where I had been overly sloppy with putting black in the armor creases was bad enough, I would have gone insane if I had primed black. Definitely recommend priming in grey or white.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I plan on priming grey, zenithal white, paint blacks, wash, paint white. May swap the paint white / wash steps. I hate painting white so much.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Played my second game. Still Core Set only but with upgrades for units and full rules. Also made some really crappily constructed cardstock buildings for LOS blocking.

Here is a photo during turn 2.
    u0wamfowjjtn.jpg

Highlight was when Darth Vader moved up behind that blue container in the middle and Luke and Red Squad had moved up to the center objective, then I Son of Skywalkered and Luke just ran right around the corner and fucking murdered Vader. Just absolutely massacred him, like Jesus Christ. After that the heart was out of my enemy and it was mainly clean up for the rebel forces.

Also my second core set arrived. Everything is perfect in this one. Already begun modifications. Both Duros heads have been swapped. One went onto a squad officer and the other onto the AT-RT pilot for some variety. Adjusted the Scout Trooper Sgt by removing his pistol arm and adjusting the angle so it his held more downward, kinda like the AT-RT pilot, and his head is now looking forward. Also Luke is being modified so when I paint him up in his ceremonial outfit that he wears at the end of ANH and also during most of the current Marvel comics, it will look a little better. Just removing pockets and trying to adjust the jacket to look open instead of zipped closed.

edited April 2018
    I saw a Luke conversion where they added a helmet and flight vest and painted the jumpsuit orange.

It was super rad and I want it but I can't sculpt with green stuff for shit.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Different game system but FantasyFlightGames just announced a new Lothal-based expansion pack for Imperial Assault.
    Gonna be able to get the whole Rebels crew (including Hondo!), deathtroopers and Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Which is huge news because the fans have been asking for them for years, so good to finally have them. And im sure some enterprising soul will make Legion compatible rules for Thrawn to be used as an alternative commander

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    YAY FOR HONDO!

HONDO IS THE BEST!

I happened to be at a game store today and got some paint and accidentally got a Speeder Bike Expansion despite now owning two core sets. It came with two Comm Jammer cards so yay.

Also while assembling the second core set I think my favorite model pose is the Duros. The two I did head swaps on have good hunkered over running for cover looks now. Though their arms are by far the most problematic when attaching.

MVP runner up is the aiming female rebel, followed by the left handed Stormtrooper and Speeder Bike Sgt.