As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Ready Player One] Quarantine Thread

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    You were robbed Theo

GustavZonugalReginaldAtomicTofuMx. QuillDisruptedCapitalistStiltsTox
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Sometimes I think about digging back into the book threads of this forum's past in order to find all of the people here who read the book and enjoyed it at the time

I think I might have a...well, I don't think I ever gave it a super positive review, but I don't think I hated it immediately. It's a weird thing where when it first hit, people, including myself, seem to gloss over a lot of its worst elements and when they get brought up now, there's this "what the fuck, has that been there the whole time?" reaction.

This is pretty much the reason I haven't actually done this. I know there were people around here who had reactions from actually it's fine to enjoyable trash, but I'm pretty certain nobody ended up earnestly defending any of the legitimately shitty parts of the book.

I think I may have initially said, "eh it's a YA book and better written than most YA books," but then other stuff was pointed out to me and now I'm like okay yeah.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh gee I wonder where the planet Zemeckis got its name from...

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    You were robbed Theo

I would never have robbed Theo intentionally

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

I'm certain Spielberg brought a ton of technical craft to this, and he does have a knack for finding humanity in his movies, but I'm not sure that's enough to overcome the core issues I have with the source material. It's something I want to see once it hits cable or Netflix or whatever, but I think I'll skip it in theaters

OlivawCantideBucketman
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    You were robbed Theo

and by player four?! player fucking FOUR?!?!

it's my own fault for leaving all those controllers plugged in

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    A lot of reviews treated the book as a fluffy wish fulfillment fantasy novel and reviewed it as such from what I remember.

Fluffy wish fulfillment fantasy becomes very problematic when the wish fulfillment character is sexist, transphobic, etc.

Couscous on
    AngelHedgiefightinfilipinoMagic PinkRingoMx. QuillGoose!CantideN1tSt4lkerTox
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I read the plot summary on Wikipedia and the movie just barely follows the book's plot, which is probably for the best.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Having seen it in an early showing, I'll spoiler my thoughts:
    I went into the movie with something of an unfavorable opinion - I enjoyed parts of the books but recognized that there were a lot of problematic elements and mediocre writing. I came out of the movie relatively impressed, as I felt it was an enjoyable popcorn flick. The special effects are well done, even if the real world of the characters (as opposed to the Oasis) is not really fleshed out well. But the concepts and ideas of the Oasis are expressed very well.

There's still odd choices/a rapidly accelerated relationship between Wade and Samantha in their IRL life, but a lot of generic problematic stuff is removed or toned way the heck down. The character comes off as nerdy and a bit obsessed, but not in an obnoxious "list everything" way. The movie definitely trades heavily on nostalgia and references, but it's all kind of fun, too. The villains are a bit cartoonish - even when they're not literal cartoons in the Oasis - but you can see a motivation.

There's changes to key events from the book, but they make sense and I think make the movie flow better. There's also a very well done bit in the middle of the movie where their Oasis characters go into a classic film - with the style of the film intact and the characters showing up as outliers.

I'll fully admit I'm relatively easy to please as a filmgoer, so my review should be taken with grains of salt, but it's worth seeing if you enjoyed the book at all.

KoopahTroopahBucketman
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Having seen it in an early showing, I'll spoiler my thoughts:
    I went into the movie with something of an unfavorable opinion - I enjoyed parts of the books but recognized that there were a lot of problematic elements and mediocre writing. I came out of the movie relatively impressed, as I felt it was an enjoyable popcorn flick. The special effects are well done, even if the real world of the characters (as opposed to the Oasis) is not really fleshed out well. But the concepts and ideas of the Oasis are expressed very well.

There's still odd choices/a rapidly accelerated relationship between Wade and Samantha in their IRL life, but a lot of generic problematic stuff is removed or toned way the heck down. The character comes off as nerdy and a bit obsessed, but not in an obnoxious "list everything" way. The movie definitely trades heavily on nostalgia and references, but it's all kind of fun, too. The villains are a bit cartoonish - even when they're not literal cartoons in the Oasis - but you can see a motivation.

There's changes to key events from the book, but they make sense and I think make the movie flow better. There's also a very well done bit in the middle of the movie where their Oasis characters go into a classic film - with the style of the film intact and the characters showing up as outliers.

I'll fully admit I'm relatively easy to please as a filmgoer, so my review should be taken with grains of salt, but it's worth seeing if you enjoyed the book at all.

This sounds kind of like what I both hoped for and expected.

webguy20FawstMortal SkyBucketmanBlackhawk1313Tox
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I'm sure it's probably a fine movie when you take it out of the societal framing of movements like gamer gate. Spielberg probably did a very good job with the material.
    I don't watch movies much anymore, though, so *shrug*

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago, a coworker asked me if I had read the book. I said no, and that I had no interest in doing so, to which she said that it would be a book that I would like.

I was sorely tempted to explain all the little and big ways the book is horrible, to point out why I wasnt interested.

At least there isn't PED weed in it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    A few weeks ago, a coworker asked me if I had read the book. I said no, and that I had no interest in doing so, to which she said that it would be a book that I would like.

I was sorely tempted to explain all the little and big ways the book is horrible, to point out why I wasnt interested.

Wouldn't it be weird to point out how bad it is without reading it?

WhiteZinfandelLegacyMagellshoeboxjeddyKetBraKoopahTroopah
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I don’t need to read Mein Kampf to know it’s dogshit

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    RingoMvrck
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I don’t need to read Mein Kampf to know it’s dogshit

Seriously? We're now comparing this book to Mein Kampf?

LegacyshoeboxjeddyKoopahTroopah
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    its been awhile since i saw a good old fashioned godwins law happen in real time

RingoShortyStraightziYaYaGrey GhostDisruptedCapitalistEtchwartsAndy Joewebguy20StiltsRorshach KringleOlivawMidniteSolarDarmakNeoTomaKwoaruLegacyeddizhereKevin CristDyvim TvarshoeboxjeddyRhesus PositiveJoolanderMortal SkyN1tSt4lkerRomanian My EscutcheonKetBraTheStigRiusKoopahTroopahBucketmanToxFig-DFishmanAbsurdProposition
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Haha oh god here we go

CptKemzik
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Well this was a good thread, got some stuff out of our systems, time to close it

rhylithMalReynoldsWACriminalMagic PinkDisruptedCapitalistAndy JoeOlivawJoolanderRomanian My EscutcheonBucketman
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    You can definitely feel superior without comparing Cline to Hitler, Jesus.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    Andy JoeGreenshoeboxjeddyJoolanderTox
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

If you've read a variety of excerpts then you should feel satisfied critiquing his writing.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    AngelHedgieRingoDonovan PuppyfuckerGoose!EtchwartsAndy JoeStiltsRorshach KringleMysstOlivawGR_ZombieDyvim TvarRhesus PositiveNeveronRomanian My EscutcheonCptKemzikAbsurdProposition
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Wait, which one is Jesus in this scenario? Hitler??

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    ShortyLegacyBucketman
    edited March 2018

I can know the ending of Far Cry 5 is awful without having played the game at all. The only thing that playing it might help is if the rest of the game had important context that was left out.

Couscous on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

If you've read a variety of excerpts then you should feel satisfied critiquing his writing.

Yeah, the casual racism/sexism/misogyny/transphobia killed any interest I had.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    FencingsaxRingoMatevGoose!kimeCantideCommander Zoom
    Couscous wrote: »

I can know the ending of Far Cry 5 is awful without having played the game at all. The only thing that playing it might help is if the rest of the game had important context that was left out.

Ooh, I haven't heard about this yet. Does it involve Hitler and/or Jesus?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

I mean, say what you will, least Hitler didn’t write a best seller about jerking off.
    Like, the book had some fun pieces to it but it’s got a lot (a LOT) of bullshit in there.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited March 2018
    Matev wrote: »

I mean, say what you will, least Hitler didn’t write a best seller about jerking off.
    Like, the book had some fun pieces to it but it’s got a lot (a LOT) of bullshit in there.

Someone never browsed the romance section. Those books will teach you some amazing ways to jerk off.

Casually Hardcore on
    Bucketman
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

well

kind of, yeah

RingoGrey GhostJoolanderBucketmanToxAlistair HuttonNyysjan
    Generally when people ask me things, like, "oh, do you like Big Bang Theory?" I just say, "I haven't really watched it," and change the subject? Most of the time it's better than starting a debate I don't particularly care to have.

FencingsaxPenumbraKadithAndy JoeStiltsNeoTomaKwoaruN1tSt4lkerRomanian My EscutcheonKetBraBucketmanAlbino BunnyToxAbsurdProposition
    Daypigeon wrote: »

well

kind of, yeah

Is it something about how both sides are bad?

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    This answer can be spoiled but is Chucky in this movie?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Knob wrote: »
    its been awhile since i saw a good old fashioned godwins law happen in real time

Second page!

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Generally when people ask me things, like, "oh, do you like Big Bang Theory?" I just say, "I haven't really watched it," and change the subject? Most of the time it's better than starting a debate I don't particularly care to have.

You haven't watched it? Oh, you would love it, its about nerds who like comic books and dungeon and dragon and stuff. Its right up your alley.

DisruptedCapitalistLegacyDark Raven XJoolanderCommander ZoomKetBraBucketmanToxCptKemzik
    Far Cry 5 can’t have a worse ending than Outlast 2 if we’re talking about similar themed games

edited March 2018

well

kind of, yeah

Far Cry 5 spoilers:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/378403-far-cry-5-ending-explained-get-the-good-bad-secret-early-endings
    This is the good ending to Far Cry 5, though I'd refrain from giving it such a positive descriptor. When you travel to the Project at Eden's Gate compound after defeating the three Seed siblings, you'll have to head to the same church from the beginning of the game to attempt to arrest Joseph Seed. After a long monologue, he'll give you the same choice he gave you when Far Cry 5 started, resist or walk away.

If you choose to resist, prepare yourself for an intense fight. Every one of your allies you met throughout the game will be high on Bliss and will turn on you. The objective here is to knock them down then revive them. Once they're revived, they'll once again become your ally and turn their guns on Seed.

Your former buddies will spawn in waves, and eventually, you'll knock down and revive 12 of them. After that, you have to fight Joseph Seed himself. Without the backup from your brainwashed friends, he's not too hard to take down, and even if he manages to kill you one of your 12 allies will revive you.

Once Seed goes down, you and your friends encircle him. Sheriff Whitehorse will arrest Seed, but as he does a bright flash of light will blind you momentarily. When you regain your vision, you'll see the telltale mushroom cloud of a nuclear blast in the distant mountains. As the shockwave approaches, the Sheriff, the two Deputies, and yourself rush to a nearby truck and attempt to head to Dutch's bunker.

As you rush towards the bunker, more nuclear blasts occur, and Hope County turns into a hellscape. You manage to dodge falling trees and exploding cars long enough to make it almost all the way to the bunker, but after being momentarily distracted by another nuclear blast, a burning tree lands on the truck and knocks you out.

When you come to, you see that Joseph Seed has dragged you into Dutch's bunker and killed Dutch. You're handcuffed to a nearby object and unable to resist Seed. Instead of killing you though, he raves about how he was right. He says he should kill you for what you've done, but instead, he makes you his "son," and claims you as his new flock. He then leans back in his chair and gives you a creepy stare as the screen fades to black.

Couscous on
    Knob wrote: »

You haven't watched it? Oh, you would love it, its about nerds who like comic books and dungeon and dragon and stuff. Its right up your alley.

my irl segues are brutally obvious and single-minded. I will get out of that Sheldon convo

well

kind of, yeah

Far Cry 5 spoilers:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/378403-far-cry-5-ending-explained-get-the-good-bad-secret-early-endings
    This is the good ending to Far Cry 5, though I'd refrain from giving it such a positive descriptor. When you travel to the Project at Eden's Gate compound after defeating the three Seed siblings, you'll have to head to the same church from the beginning of the game to attempt to arrest Joseph Seed. After a long monologue, he'll give you the same choice he gave you when Far Cry 5 started, resist or walk away.

If you choose to resist, prepare yourself for an intense fight. Every one of your allies you met throughout the game will be high on Bliss and will turn on you. The objective here is to knock them down then revive them. Once they're revived, they'll once again become your ally and turn their guns on Seed.

Your former buddies will spawn in waves, and eventually, you'll knock down and revive 12 of them. After that, you have to fight Joseph Seed himself. Without the backup from your brainwashed friends, he's not too hard to take down, and even if he manages to kill you one of your 12 allies will revive you.

Once Seed goes down, you and your friends encircle him. Sheriff Whitehorse will arrest Seed, but as he does a bright flash of light will blind you momentarily. When you regain your vision, you'll see the telltale mushroom cloud of a nuclear blast in the distant mountains. As the shockwave approaches, the Sheriff, the two Deputies, and yourself rush to a nearby truck and attempt to head to Dutch's bunker.

As you rush towards the bunker, more nuclear blasts occur, and Hope County turns into a hellscape. You manage to dodge falling trees and exploding cars long enough to make it almost all the way to the bunker, but after being momentarily distracted by another nuclear blast, a burning tree lands on the truck and knocks you out.

When you come to, you see that Joseph Seed has dragged you into Dutch's bunker and killed Dutch. You're handcuffed to a nearby object and unable to resist Seed. Instead of killing you though, he raves about how he was right. He says he should kill you for what you've done, but instead, he makes you his "son," and claims you as his new flock. He then leans back in his chair and gives you a creepy stare as the screen fades to black.

Sooooooo
    It’s the game creators saying we’re all doomed to die in nuclear war?

well

kind of, yeah

Far Cry 5 spoilers:

Oh. So ubisoft was the real MechaHitler all along

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Bucketman
    That’s still a better ending than Outlast 2

At least you know what the fuck is going on

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am really glad I didn’t buy Farcry 5 and play all the way to that ending. I would have been very angry.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

RingoAngelHedgiefightinfilipinodarunia106MatevrhylithGoose!MvrckKnight_EtchwartsCantidoph blakeMysstOlivawSolarKarrde1842CantideMagellDyvim TvarshoeboxjeddyRhesus PositiveRomanian My EscutcheonCommander ZoomBucketmanToxOldSlackerKaplar
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

Not gonna lie but if someone showed my the excerpts with the sexism, transphobia and other gross shit I’d write the book off immediately and tell anyone who asked just that

Instead I read it ages ago, thought it was fun if bland and kinda shitty to its supporting characters and forgot it existed til the film got green lit

Snowbear