As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Ready Player One] Quarantine Thread

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That’s not true, I like two of them and will tolerate the third to enjoy some pleasant company!

sarukun on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It's fine to lie to me and everyone else, just don't lie to yourself

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    But new things are often dope and rad!

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Watched the movie. It was fun. Nothing great and nothing to get angry about. The book did some things better while the movie did other things better. Though Samantha and Wade relationship happened so fast that it was cringey. They know each other for 25 minutes and they're confessing their love.

not gonna lie that sounds better than the creepy shit Wade gets up to in the book

Meh. Wade does indeed act badly after the breakup in the book, but in the movie, that reference was to them getting together. And in the book, they get together like normal people do. By messaging each other over a long period of time, late night conversations, sharing interests, and hanging out.

the breakup stuff was just so bad that it spoiled the entire relationship for me, even the good parts

The movie is how straight games males think relationships happen.

yeah real relationships happen because you like the same childhood video game as another guy you're talking to on twitter

or, well, that's my experience

Nah, nowadays you just swipe right on every profile and have the same generic profile ('I like hiking, animals, and trying new things').

what a strange way of starting a relationship, I refuse to believe that is real

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Oh nobody likes hiking, or animals, or new things

I like sitting, eating certain animals, and nude things.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Oh nobody likes hiking, or animals, or new things

Apparently so!

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    But new things are often dope and rad!

The ultimate new thing

Is death

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Death is literally as old as life itself.

But I will admit, I’ve never tried it, so it’d Be new to me.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "To die will be an awfully big adventure."

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    movie spoilers
    While the shinning sequence was easily the best part of the movie. I think it was a missed opportunity (and more appropriate for the clue) for not using 'Lawnmower Man' as the movie sequence. It would've been hilarious seeing the characters going into the 'Lawnmower Man' version of VR, while being in VR.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    movie spoilers
    While the shinning sequence was easily the best part of the movie. I think it was a missed opportunity (and more appropriate for the clue) for not using 'Lawnmower Man' as the movie sequence. It would've been hilarious seeing the characters going into the 'Lawnmower Man' version of VR, while being in VR.
    Lawnmower Man was '92 though, Halliday wouldn't put it in his MMO-sized puzzle.

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    snipers only on the n64 is like punching yourself in the face over and over.

mines only, now we're talking.

Proximity mines, caves, turbo speed

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Jurassic park should have a scene with an art museum and all the dinosaurs are just quietly appreciating the paintings and sculptures.

Like that part in Ferris Bueller.

The 80s movie.

COWABUNGA.

THE SICKNESS IS IINSIDE ME

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Watched the movie. It was fun. Nothing great and nothing to get angry about. The book did some things better while the movie did other things better. Though Samantha and Wade relationship happened so fast that it was cringey. They know each other for 25 minutes and they're confessing their love.

not gonna lie that sounds better than the creepy shit Wade gets up to in the book

Meh. Wade does indeed act badly after the breakup in the book, but in the movie, that reference was to them getting together. And in the book, they get together like normal people do. By messaging each other over a long period of time, late night conversations, sharing interests, and hanging out.

the breakup stuff was just so bad that it spoiled the entire relationship for me, even the good parts

The movie is how straight games males think relationships happen.
    Nothing great and nothing to get angry about.

so in other words absolutely something to get angry about

Jurassic park should have a scene with an art museum and all the dinosaurs are just quietly appreciating the paintings and sculptures.

The 80s movie.

COWABUNGA.

never seen it

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

The 80s movie.

COWABUNGA.

never seen it

Oh really? It's pretty good! If nothing else it's very funny. Ferris is a prick but Cameron is a Good Boy and the other tertiary characters are rad

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    i have a meditation app to remind me to, y'know meditate, and it gives daily quotes in the notifications. i was both amused and kinda put out at Tuesday's message: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
    i mean, true. also, laser-pointed at my generation. but not the most profound of sources, nor was it credited; i had mistakenly assumed the quotes were written by the app developers, consisting mostly of generic blandishments.

i feel alla that is apropos to the thread.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Death is literally as old as life itself.

Well, very slightly younger

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Was at my local games workshop building models and chatting with a guy there and he mentioned he just saw RPO.

Having social tact I didn’t ya know, rant about RPO being garbage but asked what he thought of it.

He said he liked it and then said “It’s perfect. It’s made for us.”

I smiled politely and said maybe i’d get around to checking it out but ugh that is the exact toxic attitude that I hate about RPO. That, us gamers, bullshit.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    You’re so much better than him

I think I have blockbuster action movie fatigue.

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I posit that it was not made for us NEARLY ENOUGH.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »
    I posit that it was not made for us NEARLY ENOUGH.

If the movie posits that we should venerate someone whose preferred Goldeneye mode was Slappers Only in which he picked Oddjob, it is a not movie made for anyone

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I think we're going to go see it soon (the kid wants to see Tomb Raider first) but my worry is that the in-Oasis people look sort of creepy and annoying. How is it on screen?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think we're going to go see it soon (the kid wants to see Tomb Raider first) but my worry is that the in-Oasis people look sort of creepy and annoying. How is it on screen?

You get used to it quickly. I found irl Wade more creepy than his avatar.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I just saw Ready Player One and liked it a lot.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular

They fully embrace the CG and go for a stylized look instead of a realistic look

I just fucking hate the movie version of Parzival's face so much.

I want to punch that face.

• GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Okay so pretty big plot hole
    Just before Wade's stack gets blown up the IOI guy mentions they've had surveillance on him and they saw him enter the trailer 3 days ago and never leave. But he's in his secret gaming room. From what we see of him going from his trailer to ground level, it is literally impossible that IOI misses him leaving.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Green wrote: »
    Okay so pretty big plot hole
    Just before Wade's stack gets blown up the IOI guy mentions they've had surveillance on him and they saw him enter the trailer 3 days ago and never leave. But he's in his secret gaming room. From what we see of him going from his trailer to ground level, it is literally impossible that IOI misses him leaving.
    I think the point was they knew where he lived and they confirmed he was "at home" because he answered the message. You'd expect better surveillance from a company with a fleet of drones but I guess not.

Anyway, I did get around seeing it, along with my dad who actually very much enjoyed the book. Thoughts:
    I thought it was okay. It mostly addresses most of people's complaints. Would've been nice if the "She could be a 300 pound guy named Chuck!" line would've had a response of "eh, I'd give it a shot" or something along those lines, but there was nothing grosser than that bit of low-grade homophobia. Especially in contrast to that mental image, Art3mis going "DON'T LOOK AT ME I'M HIDEOUS" about a moderately sized birthmark on her face is... an incredibly weak thing to hang character development on. At least the movie replotted things to actually give her some agency. The two Asian-American(?) kids were... more or less non-existent, which was probably a mercy.

Speaking of mercy, those four or five Tracers really stood out.

Beyond that, the overarching theme of it being virtuous to obsess over this one guy is still present and still fairly bad. At the end there is something of a rebuke of the whole virtual reality thing as a whole, but it comes mostly out of nowhere and feels unearned. Something about "appreciate real life, too" but the main character does absolutely nothing to learn that lesson aside from being told by the ghost of the person who he's obsessed over, so obviously he immediately takes it to heart.

My father, for his part, disliked the movie, because it was missing the two things he liked about the book. First, the whole treasure hunt aspect was basically completely removed, which he admits wasn't going to go over well in a movie but still would've liked to see more of than one clue that they figure out after a scene and another clue that wait nevermind someone else figured it out don't worry about it. The second, he liked the idea of the Oasis as a sort of parallel world with schools and offices and shit (similarly, he particularly likes the premise of the book Halting State, which opens with a virtual bank being robbed by virtual orcs), and didn't like how the movie just presented it as one large meta-game.

However the Iron Giant was present in the movie and did fight things so I give it -1/10 utter garbotrash might as well spit on my childhood.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Movie was better than than the book since it condensed stuff so kept the momentum going throughout. Book was OK, this was OK+.

If you don't hate the book you'll like the movie, probably.

Xeddicus on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Can't remember, did the book
    Give an undercurrent throughout the story that Halliday was actually lonely? The movie clues kinda gave more insight to his humanity than I remember.

Give an undercurrent throughout the story that Halliday was actually lonely? The movie clues kinda gave more insight to his humanity than I remember.

spoilers on book and stuff
    Very much so. It pretty clear that the only person Halliday could comfortably talk to was Kira and his friend Ogden.

Very much so. It pretty clear that the only person Halliday could comfortably talk to was Kira and his friend Ogden.
    But was that something Wade & co. realize during the book, so as to learn something from in the end, after-school-special style?

But was that something Wade & co. realize during the book, so as to learn something from in the end, after-school-special style?

Yeah, but it was all in one sentence.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Not to undercut this thread, but Olivia Cooke is in the movie Thoroughbreds that also came out this year and it's fucking awesome. So, like, I guess if you liked this movie (or even if you didn't), you should check her out doing a very good American accent and playing a psychopath in Thoroughbreds.

Basically what I'm saying is that I just want so tell everyone that Thoroughbreds is a good as hell movie and that everyone should see it.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thoreau breads?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Come one, come all, to the crow buffet.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So I saw this over the weekend.

Literally all I knew was from a couple of trailers and the PA comic, and I didn't know about the book until we were leaving the theater and my wife mentioned it was based on a book.

Clearly the book is gross! I'm glad I didn't know about it

Overall I thought it was enjoyable as a "dumb popcorn movie" but pretty much as soon as you try to go any deeper you start running into all sorts of issues ranging from problematic to just gross. The more I think about it the more I feel myself thinking "yeah, that was shitty, but overall it was fun ... well, except for..."

So I'm glad I saw it, and I don't really regret seeing it in theaters, though I wish I'd waited a bit (studios get larger % of ticket sales in the first month than the 2nd/3rd), and I honestly don't know anybody that I'd recommend it to.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    #ReadyPlayerOne is Steven Spielberg’s largest box office opening in the past decade (Indy 4) and his highest non-sequel opening weekend since War of the Worlds. ✊
    This says more about Spielberg than anything else.