As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Ready Player One] Quarantine Thread

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KkGRT_4its

Mike actually read the book ahead of time so there's some interesting discussion on the differences.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Here’s a list of all the references

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/here-are-all-the-references-in-ready-player-one.html

Sure feels a lot like that one chapter of the book reading this whoa wait what
    Chappie: Title character seen as an avatar in a battle royale.

*whispers* That’s Chappie.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Come one, come all, to the crow buffet.

People weren't saying the movie was going to bomb, people were saying the book and movie are both ass.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/2/17188432/ready-player-one-ending-explained
    After the film’s hero, Wade, and his friends find the Easter egg and win control of the company, it appears the film will have the obvious conclusion: Wade, now the wealthiest person on the planet, will say he’s seen literally everything there is to see in the virtual world, and he will henceforth use his money and power to begin restoring the tangible world. But that’s not what happens. Instead, we get the performance of doing the right thing.

As Wade and his girlfriend make out in his ritzy apartment, his voiceover explains that, under his ownership, the Oasis will be shut down on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Wait, what? The Oasis is a massive economy unto itself. People work inside the Oasis; they make a living there. Even those who don’t rely on the Oasis for their income rely on it for relief from a world with no clear path to betterment. Does Wade see himself as patriarch, deciding what’s best for the public, even when he clearly doesn’t know? It’s hard to say because that’s where the movie ends.
    Is that actually in the movie? That sounds just silly.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

People weren't saying the movie was going to bomb, people were saying the book and movie are both ass.

Having no knowledge of that particular phrase, I will instead use my own interpretation:
    That's a lotta eyeballs

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    update: my colleague who really liked the book and was really looking forward to the movie, saw RPO on the weekend and said it was "AWESOME!!!!"

this has not told me anything I didn't already know, about him or the movie.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

seriously dude

Magic Pink on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    After the film’s hero, Wade, and his friends find the Easter egg and win control of the company, it appears the film will have the obvious conclusion: Wade, now the wealthiest person on the planet, will say he’s seen literally everything there is to see in the virtual world, and he will henceforth use his money and power to begin restoring the tangible world. But that’s not what happens. Instead, we get the performance of doing the right thing.

As Wade and his girlfriend make out in his ritzy apartment, his voiceover explains that, under his ownership, the Oasis will be shut down on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Wait, what? The Oasis is a massive economy unto itself. People work inside the Oasis; they make a living there. Even those who don’t rely on the Oasis for their income rely on it for relief from a world with no clear path to betterment. Does Wade see himself as patriarch, deciding what’s best for the public, even when he clearly doesn’t know? It’s hard to say because that’s where the movie ends.

It feels like Summer Wars better explored all this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Was the guy that played the guy in the place the guy who was Chris Finch on the office? The UK one?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    given the amount of money they spent on marketing, Spielberg being attached, and the source material being extremely popular, if absolute rubbish, i'd have been shocked if it had flopped.

but the appeal to box office take as an arbiter of movie quality did make me laugh, so i guess your post created some value.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »
    given the amount of money they spent on marketing, Spielberg being attached, and the source material being extremely popular, if absolute rubbish, i'd have been shocked if it had flopped.

but the appeal to box office take as an arbiter of movie quality did make me laugh, so i guess your post created some value.

Also if we’re gonna talk box office, it had a 53 mil domestic 4 day holiday weekend on a 175m production budget.

Usually you can assume a domestic gross of 2.5-3x opening 3-day weekend (which was 42m) so let’s be generous and give it 3x for 130m domestic. Based on the current ratios, it’s making about 30% domestic / 70% international, so let’s put it at 433m total worldwide as a generous guess. The theaters take a cut of about 55% over the movie’s total run on average, so the theatrical run is looking to make about 195m net for the studio.

Then factor in advertising budget, which is about 0.5-1x production budget typically. So if I generously use 0.5x, the real budget is more like 262m. So it’ll have to make at minimum 70 million in TV/streaming/blu-ray sales before it turns a profit. And I didn’t even include other costs like residuals. Usually studios want a profit before the leave the theater...not how they must’ve hoped it’d perform.

rhylith on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular

Yea. The writers and director were obscenely lazy when it comes to anything related to world building. Zero thought behind anything they did.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

Yea. The writers and director were obscenely lazy when it comes to anything related to world building. Zero thought behind anything they did.

there was definitely thought behind that. the thought was: how do we make this as escapist and nonpolitical as possible? but that in itself is a "political" choice, too.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    This is the only opinion on Ready Player One I care about anymore

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/gamemaster-anthony-reviews-ready-player-one.html

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular

there was definitely thought behind that. the thought was: how do we make this as escapist and nonpolitical as possible? but that in itself is a "political" choice, too.

They made the all encompassing virtual world where you can work and study into nothing more than a more beefed up MMO a la Second Life; no reference to the virtual schools or the IOI desk jockey tech support thing. I suppose there's no time to squeeze the ramifications of the ending to all that in.

• NotYouNotYou Registered User regular

They made the all encompassing virtual world where you can work and study into nothing more than a more beefed up MMO a la Second Life; no reference to the virtual schools or the IOI desk jockey tech support thing. I suppose there's no time to squeeze the ramifications of the ending to all that in.

Yea but therein lies the problem. If it's just a video game then there would be competition and other video games to play. And most people wouldn't be addicted to it. And would have lives in real life. By changing that it no longer makes sense.

• TubeTube Registered User admin

I think I was pretty clear that you were to stop being a jackass. This is the nicest that the warnings are going to get.

Geth, kick @Casually Hardcore from the thread

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. banned from this thread.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Maddoc wrote: »
    This is the only opinion on Ready Player One I care about anymore

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/04/gamemaster-anthony-reviews-ready-player-one.html

I'm glad someone did the legwork for this. I had no idea Anthony was doing it for so long, I only ever saw the original post.

Crippl3 on
    https://youtu.be/QgNamh__3rI

I do think Bob's really glossing over why people are so down on the book and all the negative things about it, but in the end, the movie was going to be better because it had better people building it. That said, I don't think there's really any way to fix Halliday. The book version is built on a number of incredibly toxic tropes regarding geeks and sexuality, and I don't think there's any way to fix that without having to change the character fundamentally. Making him more wistful doesn't make the bad shit go away.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Wait a minute.

Did Bob just call Jurassic Park second tier?

RT800 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Saw this movie. I enjoyed it.
    I thought the pop culture would have me sinking in my chair, but I didn't feel that way at all. They showed cool nerd things but always moved on from them. Halliday's riddles transforming from nerd trivia into understanding his deepest regrets for his shittyness or timidness was appreciated.

My girlfriend was upset that the movie "held back" and wanted Artemis to be a man, instead of a pretty white girl with a minimal dis-figuration.

I agree that the movie played it too safe.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I thought the Artemis reveal was kinda hilarious

I half expected her to start shouting "Don't look at me! I'm hideous!"

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So one thing that confused me was why the IOI people were called "Sixers" I didn't get the reference

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    pod six is jerks

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So one thing that confused me was why the IOI people were called "Sixers" I didn't get the reference

If they don't say in the movie, their character names are all serial numbers, starting in the number 6.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

They deep-six people.

Cantido wrote: »
    I thought the pop culture would have me sinking in my chair, but I didn't feel that way at all. They showed cool nerd things but always moved on from them. Halliday's riddles transforming from nerd trivia into understanding his deepest regrets for his shittyness or timidness was appreciated.

My girlfriend was upset that the movie "held back" and wanted Artemis to be a man, instead of a pretty white girl with a minimal dis-figuration.

One rather cool idea I've heard for an alternative idea for Artemis was for her to be an AI program, designed to become the "perfect" love interest to anyone who got far enough in the challenges. The idea here is that this conceptualization of Halliday sees himself as the only person capable of properly controlling the Oasis, so his challenge is designed to shape the winner into a "new Halliday" to take over. Of course, to pull it off, you'd need a better writer than Cline.

Cantido wrote: »

One rather cool idea I've heard for an alternative idea for Artemis was for her to be an AI program, designed to become the "perfect" love interest to anyone who got far enough in the challenges. The idea here is that this conceptualization of Halliday sees himself as the only person capable of properly controlling the Oasis, so his challenge is designed to shape the winner into a "new Halliday" to take over. Of course, to pull it off, you'd need a better writer than Cline.

Oh hey.
    That's the plot of the second book of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
    The Hive leader clones himself and then has that clone overthrow him, rather than dying a simple death.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Finally, someone's cracked the China movie market who isn't Michael Bay

I'm glad the movie performed well at the box office. Nobody should judge a movie's quality based on how much it earns - that's what got Hollywood execs in trouble chasing their own tails

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    To sum up the film...
    Reality is better....because it's real, not virtual

My take on that is
    Oh yeah, reality is better...especially in my life where my brother is schizophrenic. So sure Steve, tell me reality is better!

Also...
    About the young Halliday. Wouldn't playing D&D require friends and some social skill?

Ronin356 on
    Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's pretty simple:
    Reality sucking doesn't mean ignoring it makes it better, which is what the Oasis is. It's a false choice which the book and movie can't even make a call on.

And that's all we need is AI's running around deciding what is good for people...

Ronin356 wrote: »
    To sum up the film...
    Reality is better....because it's real, not virtual

My take on that is
    Oh yeah, reality is better...especially in my life where my brother is schizophrenic. So sure Steve, tell me reality is better!

Also...
    About the young Halliday. Wouldn't playing D&D require friends and some social skill?
    Perhaps Halliday just DMed some random people blind through the Tomb of Horrors?
    They would have all died of course.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    X-post from the D&D movie thread.

Spoiler-free review:
    It was eh. It unfortunately still maintains many of the weaknesses of the source material - in this case, an over-reliance on pop culture references.

And, much like the book, if you take away all said references, it is hard to see the movie as anything but a well-executed popcorn flick whose varius plots and characters can be described as dated at best, and vaguely misogynistic and racist at worst.

To be fair, the movie does try hard to fix some of the more glaring issues with the book, but only succeeds in varying degrees (if at all). So it's likely a testament to Steven Spielberg's skill that the whole thing still manages to be entertaining based purely on said references and execution.

So yeah, it will probably do well overall. Which is fine. It's not a terrible movie by any stretch of the imagination. But it is disappointing, much in the same way that re-watching Saved by the Bell as an adult is disappointing - now that you've grown up, you can see all the ways in which Zack Morris is an entitled douchebag and you wonder why you found him to be so cool when you were younger.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Hell, I am even open to the idea that the movie might be okay, purely because Spielberg is a good director

The book is still shit though

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the movie seems okay, given what I've heard? definitely not for me, but that's okay

however, the book deserves far more unkind opinions

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I hope that when Ready Player One releases on home video there is an "extra" wherin Ernest Cline performs his erotic poetry in the rap style

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I hope that when Ready Player One releases on home video there is an "extra" wherin Ernest Cline performs his erotic poetry in the rap style

Prison is too good for you

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Only on VHS though, that's what I had back in the 80s

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hobnail wrote: »

Even just the the Nerd Porn Auteur poem from 2000 would be too much.
    http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/Nerd_Porn_Auteur-Ernie_Cline.mp3

I've noticed that there don't seem to be any porno movies

that are made for guys like me.

All the porn I've come across

was targeted at beer-swilling sports bar dwelling alpha-males

Men who like their women stupid and submissive

Men who can only get it up for monosyllabic cock-hungry nymphos

with gargantuan breasts and a three-word vocabulary

Adult films are populated with these collagen-injected

liposuctioned women

Many of whom have resorted to surgery and self-mutilation

in an attempt to look the way they have been told to look.

These aren't real women. They're objects.

And these movies aren't erotic. They're pathetic.

These vacuum-headed fuck bunnies don't turn me on.

They disgust me.

And it's not that I'm against pornography.

I mean, I'm a guy. And guys need porn.

Fact.

"Like a preacher needs pain, like a needle needs a vein,"

Guys need porn.

But I don't wanna watch this misogynist he-man woman-hater porn.

I want porno movies that are made with guys like me in mind:

Guys who know that the sexiest thing in the world

is a woman who is smarter than you are.

You can have the whole cheerleading squad,

I want the girl in the tweed skirt and the horn-rimmed glasses:

Betty Finnebowski, the valedictorian.

Oh yes.

First I want to copy her Trig homework,

and then I want to make mad, passionate love to her

for hours and hours

until she reluctantly asks if we can stop

because she doesn't want to miss Battlestar Galactica.

Summa cum laude, baby!

That is what I call erotic.

But do you ever see that kind of a woman in a contemporary adult film?

No.

Which is why I'm going to start writing and directing Geek Porno.

I shall be the quintessential Nerd Porn Auteur.

And the women in my porno movies will be the kind

that drive nerds like me mad with desire.

I'm talking about the girls that used to fuck up the grading curve.

The girls in the Latin Club and the National Honor Society.

Chicks with weird clothes, braces, four eyes, and 4.0 GPAs.

Brainy articulate bookworms, with MENSA cards in their purses

and chips on their shoulders.

My porn starlets will come in all shapes and sizes.

My porn starlets will be too busy working on their PhD to go to the gym.

In my kind of porno movies the girls wouldn't even have to get naked.

They'd just take the guys down to the rec room and

beat them repeatedly at chess

and then talk to them for hours about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

or the underlying social metaphors in the Aliens movies.

Buy stock in some hand cream companies

because there is about to be a major shortage.

And I'm not just talking about straight porn. Oh no.

There should be fuck films for my nerd brethren

of all sexual orientations.

Gay nerd porn flicks with titles like "Dungeons and Drag-queens."

This idea is a fucking gold mine.

I am gonna make millions,

because this country is full of database programmers

and electronics engineers

and they aren't getting the loving they so desperately need.

And you can help . . .

If you're an intelligent woman is interested in breaking into the adult film industry,

and if you can tell me the name of Luke Skywalker's home planet,

then you are hired.

It doesn't matter if you think you're overweight or unattractive.

It doesn't matter if you don't think you're beautiful.

You are beautiful. . .

And I will make you a star.

Couscous on