As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Ready Player One] Quarantine Thread

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I am really glad I didn’t buy Farcry 5 and play all the way to that ending. I would have been very angry.

I’m still going to play through it

But I’m glad I’m now prepared for that ending

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I am really glad I didn’t buy Farcry 5 and play all the way to that ending. I would have been very angry.

I had thought about playing it on the grounds that if you're going to shit on something, make it an educated shit. But thoss endings pretty much ends that desire.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I read it years ago and thought the main character was a horribly unlikable, repugnant mary-sue who treated women as prizes to be won.

Also Nostalgia.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    It's a great ending if and only if the main thing you're looking for is
    "WHAT A CRAZY TWIST". And that can only be the main thing you're looking for if you're solely consuming the game as popcorn entertainment, with no emotional attachment to it or interest in anything it might be trying to say on a deeper level. However, 1) that's not how the game was marketed, for at least a portion of the hype cycle, 2) that's not a realistic approach for many people to take to it, given the presence of white supremacists, gun-toting cults, etc. It hits too close to home right now for many players (including myself) to be able to enjoy it on a purely superficial, popcorn level.

You can't send me to Trump country and then end it with, "...and they were right the whole time!" and expect me to just accept that as a meaningless Shyamalan twist.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    There is no way this book can possibly be as bad as some folk maintain. Like, I'm gonna read this thing, and if at the end it hasn't killed one of my children and set fire to the house, I'm gonna be disappointed.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah I remember I read it like a popcorn book and didn’t think about it very hard while reading

But I STILL thought the book was awful to the supporting characters and the relationship was pretty gross

Now I have even worse things to say about the book, having thought about it further

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I will grant RPO one thing, and it's that everytime it's brought up, I actually want to go watch some of the 80s/90s things it references.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Knob wrote: »
    There is no way this book can possibly be as bad as some folk maintain. Like, I'm gonna read this thing, and if at the end it hasn't killed one of my children and set fire to the house, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Do you have life and home insurance?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

The writing is mediocre, it has a gross romance, it’s transphobic as fuck in a few scenes, it’s pretty sexist and kinda racist.

That’s enough to make it downright awful, to me.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod

Do you have life and home insurance?

Insurance isn't very punk rock, User Raijin Quickfoot.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Even then it's like, did it let you pick which kid?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

I dunno, that Twitterpic of the delorean description is physically painful to me

I'm positive that some percentage of the book has better writing than that, but I can't take that risk to find out

Sword of Truth taught me that bad books should be thrown in the trash where they belong

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Even then it's like, did it let you pick which kid?

It'd be a real Sophie's Knob

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    whichever kid you have the fondest memories of us is absorbed into the book

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    The thing that baffles me about RPO having ever gotten any good critical reception is that, setting aside it's extremely problematic elements which god knows doesn't always translate to bad reviews, it's just horribly written on a basic structural level

Everyone was so quick to jump down Twilight's throat as the worst thing to ever happen to literature but god does it's prose look amazing in comparison

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    NeoToma wrote: »
    You were robbed Theo

I would never have robbed Theo intentionally

I've been planning to rob Theo for the past 5 years

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, a coworker asked me if I had read the book. I said no, and that I had no interest in doing so, to which she said that it would be a book that I would like.

I was sorely tempted to explain all the little and big ways the book is horrible, to point out why I wasnt interested.

At least there isn't PED weed in it.

Wouldn't it be weird to point out how bad it is without reading it?

I can know the ending of Far Cry 5 is awful without having played the game at all. The only thing that playing it might help is if the rest of the game had important context that was left out.

Ooh, I haven't heard about this yet. Does it involve Hitler and/or Jesus?
    well

kind of, yeah

Is it something about how both sides are bad?

Far Cry 5 spoilers:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/378403-far-cry-5-ending-explained-get-the-good-bad-secret-early-endings
    This is the good ending to Far Cry 5, though I'd refrain from giving it such a positive descriptor. When you travel to the Project at Eden's Gate compound after defeating the three Seed siblings, you'll have to head to the same church from the beginning of the game to attempt to arrest Joseph Seed. After a long monologue, he'll give you the same choice he gave you when Far Cry 5 started, resist or walk away.

If you choose to resist, prepare yourself for an intense fight. Every one of your allies you met throughout the game will be high on Bliss and will turn on you. The objective here is to knock them down then revive them. Once they're revived, they'll once again become your ally and turn their guns on Seed.

Your former buddies will spawn in waves, and eventually, you'll knock down and revive 12 of them. After that, you have to fight Joseph Seed himself. Without the backup from your brainwashed friends, he's not too hard to take down, and even if he manages to kill you one of your 12 allies will revive you.

Once Seed goes down, you and your friends encircle him. Sheriff Whitehorse will arrest Seed, but as he does a bright flash of light will blind you momentarily. When you regain your vision, you'll see the telltale mushroom cloud of a nuclear blast in the distant mountains. As the shockwave approaches, the Sheriff, the two Deputies, and yourself rush to a nearby truck and attempt to head to Dutch's bunker.

As you rush towards the bunker, more nuclear blasts occur, and Hope County turns into a hellscape. You manage to dodge falling trees and exploding cars long enough to make it almost all the way to the bunker, but after being momentarily distracted by another nuclear blast, a burning tree lands on the truck and knocks you out.

When you come to, you see that Joseph Seed has dragged you into Dutch's bunker and killed Dutch. You're handcuffed to a nearby object and unable to resist Seed. Instead of killing you though, he raves about how he was right. He says he should kill you for what you've done, but instead, he makes you his "son," and claims you as his new flock. He then leans back in his chair and gives you a creepy stare as the screen fades to black.

Wow. What a pile of dog shit.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I know someone who loves Ready Player One, and they're not a slavering moron of any kind. They actually followed the book tour, I think? Literally followed Cline around for the whole tour and showed up at every stop because they loved it so much. I should get their take on this, because they are very much not the type of person you picture when you think "hardcore fan of Ready Player One"

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    You were robbed Theo

Okay how do I get in on this heist

• Options

I dunno, that Twitterpic of the delorean description is physically painful to me

I'm positive that some percentage of the book has better writing than that, but I can't take that risk to find out

Sword of Truth taught me that bad books should be thrown in the trash where they belong

I'm reminded of a comment on Atlas Shrugged -
    This is not a book to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

My brain would destroy itself to protect me before I got to this part:
    166Qthd.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2018
    Is it wrong that if I was presented with Raijin's Choice I already know who I would pick?

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    The thing that baffles me about RPO having ever gotten any good critical reception is that, setting aside it's extremely problematic elements which god knows doesn't always translate to bad reviews, it's just horribly written on a basic structural level

Everyone was so quick to jump down Twilight's throat as the worst thing to ever happen to literature but god does it's prose look amazing in comparison

Welcome to latent cultural sexism, where we rip down everything women like and cover up the flaws in what men like.

• Options
    You were robbed Theo

Blackmail is a fast and easy way to make friends!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    You were robbed Theo

Straightzi......... welcome to the crew

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I used to say that RPO reads like fanfiction but that's unnecessarily insulting to people who write fanfiction, of which I have read a great deal that is executed better than RPO

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hey @Theodore Floosevelt, some folks are planning to kidnap you.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Is it wrong that if I was presented with Raijin's Choice I already know who I would pick?

YES

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a reminder. Armada is actually worse than RPO in terms of quality and references.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Also look, I actually really enjoyed RPO when I read it a few years ago on the advice of a friend who was a big fan
    But time and distance and perspective mean I look back on it now and wonder how none of the problems ever jumped out at me

• Options
    What is Armada?

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    As a reminder. Armada is actually worse than RPO in terms of quality and references.

Again, it has PED weed. Not making this up, not enough drugs in the world.

• Options
    What is Armada?

Cline's sophomore novel. It's best to leave it at that.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, a coworker asked me if I had read the book. I said no, and that I had no interest in doing so, to which she said that it would be a book that I would like.

I was sorely tempted to explain all the little and big ways the book is horrible, to point out why I wasnt interested.

At least there isn't PED weed in it.

Wouldn't it be weird to point out how bad it is without reading it?

I can know the ending of Far Cry 5 is awful without having played the game at all. The only thing that playing it might help is if the rest of the game had important context that was left out.

Ooh, I haven't heard about this yet. Does it involve Hitler and/or Jesus?
    well

kind of, yeah

Is it something about how both sides are bad?

Far Cry 5 spoilers:
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/378403-far-cry-5-ending-explained-get-the-good-bad-secret-early-endings
    This is the good ending to Far Cry 5, though I'd refrain from giving it such a positive descriptor. When you travel to the Project at Eden's Gate compound after defeating the three Seed siblings, you'll have to head to the same church from the beginning of the game to attempt to arrest Joseph Seed. After a long monologue, he'll give you the same choice he gave you when Far Cry 5 started, resist or walk away.

If you choose to resist, prepare yourself for an intense fight. Every one of your allies you met throughout the game will be high on Bliss and will turn on you. The objective here is to knock them down then revive them. Once they're revived, they'll once again become your ally and turn their guns on Seed.

Your former buddies will spawn in waves, and eventually, you'll knock down and revive 12 of them. After that, you have to fight Joseph Seed himself. Without the backup from your brainwashed friends, he's not too hard to take down, and even if he manages to kill you one of your 12 allies will revive you.

Once Seed goes down, you and your friends encircle him. Sheriff Whitehorse will arrest Seed, but as he does a bright flash of light will blind you momentarily. When you regain your vision, you'll see the telltale mushroom cloud of a nuclear blast in the distant mountains. As the shockwave approaches, the Sheriff, the two Deputies, and yourself rush to a nearby truck and attempt to head to Dutch's bunker.

As you rush towards the bunker, more nuclear blasts occur, and Hope County turns into a hellscape. You manage to dodge falling trees and exploding cars long enough to make it almost all the way to the bunker, but after being momentarily distracted by another nuclear blast, a burning tree lands on the truck and knocks you out.

When you come to, you see that Joseph Seed has dragged you into Dutch's bunker and killed Dutch. You're handcuffed to a nearby object and unable to resist Seed. Instead of killing you though, he raves about how he was right. He says he should kill you for what you've done, but instead, he makes you his "son," and claims you as his new flock. He then leans back in his chair and gives you a creepy stare as the screen fades to black.

Remember when Farcry 5 was announced and everyone was like 'omg, your going there!' and Ubisoft was like 'yeah, but no' and Wolfenstein 2 came around and was like 'sit down and hold by beer'?

• Options
    Also look, I actually really enjoyed RPO when I read it a few years ago on the advice of a friend who was a big fan
    But time and distance and perspective mean I look back on it now and wonder how none of the problems ever jumped out at me

I am a slavering moron though, so, who knows

• Options
    Ah, yeah that tracks

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey @Theodore Floosevelt, some folks are planning to kidnap you.

now, zonnie, nobody likes a narc

that being said, thank you for tattling. point of clarification I'd ask of the assembling crew: are you robbing me or are you robbing me

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

It at least has some hilarious lines that are worth reading.

Spoilers for Armada.
    tJ9fnLA.png

166D8Oq.png

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    What is Armada?

Have you ever written a report for a class, and then you get assigned to write a report for a different class that your first report kind of covers? So you copy paste the whole report and change a few things and turned it in?

That's Armada.

• Options

YES

Oh... I was just kidding...