Options

The new and improved [Movie] thread that is not a bit

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

Yes please. Pump this shit into my veins

That reminds me, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey belongs with the good comedy sequels.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I find that image so disturbing for reasons I can't really articulate.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    That image makes me feel inferior, because I am not Keanu Reeves.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Someone mentioned Bill Paxton in the previous thread (in reference to Club Dread I think, which I haven't seen), and it reminded me of how I love him in Frailty

So I decided to look around some Frailty stuff

and Matthew McConaughey wears the same jacket in Interstellar that he wears in Frailty

I am convinced it is secretly a sequel

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the anna karenina with keira knightly and kick-ass took its movie-as-play in a quite literal sort of direction. I remember liking it, though overall reception of that aspect seemed a bit tepid

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.

Had wooden teeth, chased moby dick.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Just for the record, this photo makes me even happier.

0fmg7rtvk3ol.jpg

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    seriously alex winter looks like he's halfway through transforming into Fyvush Finkel

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I saw pacific rim 2.

I wandered in with very low expectations, but was actually really entertained! It isn't a great movie or anything and they definitely prioritised action over characters, and nothing particularly feels earned, but the action scenes, while lacking the neat, neon-gothic night setting of the original, had a cool energy to them.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm wondering how they are going to handle that face that Keanu has about 1 billion times more screen presence than Alex Winter now.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    They don’t have feathers and so they are phonies at best
    h1dcha0tdui8.png

So cuddly
    pmqo0hgqfw4a.png

4Tm6flt.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Up was on TV tonight, I hadn’t watched it in a few years

That movie still hits me like a truck. We actually missed the famous opening and I was still crying long before the scrapbook scene. I’d forgotten about the “boring parts” speech and the house burning/Kevin choice (which was absolutely gut wrenching). The score, especially in moments where the main theme becomes more triumphant, was so affecting

That’s such an incredibly well-made and emotional movie. I think a lot of times nowadays it doesn’t get the credit it deserves, I think the rest of the film is often overshadowed by the (brilliantly heartbreaking) opening scene

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    They don’t have feathers and so they are phonies at best
    h1dcha0tdui8.png

So cuddly
    pmqo0hgqfw4a.png

4Tm6flt.jpg

I thought about posting fatbrid raptors but didn't, thank god one of us had the courage.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Song still holds up too.

https://youtu.be/fiBLgEx6svA

This is so going in the 90's thread.

I love that song, but I was pretty surprised when I heard Patrice Rushen's Forget Me Nots (which it samples) and heard how close they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amzp7W0RkPA

Like, there's borrowing a hook, and then there's just changing the lyrics...

Anyway, saw Isle of Dogs. Thought it was entertaining, though less so than many of Wes Anderson's other films.* It also has a fair number of moments of casual brutality, which I guess is one of his trademarks. But there were a lot of small children in my theatre, and while things mostly worked out I think there were a few potentially traumatising moments.

*(As said in the previous thread people's opinion of his work varies wildly. For a gauge of my tastes, of his movies that I've seen I'd rank them as such: Grand Budapest Hotel, Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Darjeeling Limited, Isle of Dogs, Moonrise Kingdom, Royal Tenenbaums.)

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So, before last Sunday, I had not seen any of Darren Aronofsky's films.

I have now seen all of them save for Pi.

"Things take a turn" was basically the theme for my movie watching this week.

Also I now know why people hate 'mother!' and I get it but I don't agree with them because that movie was right up my weird weird alley.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned Bill Paxton in the previous thread (in reference to Club Dread I think, which I haven't seen), and it reminded me of how I love him in Frailty

So I decided to look around some Frailty stuff

and Matthew McConaughey wears the same jacket in Interstellar that he wears in Frailty

I am convinced it is secretly a sequel
    Good to see that jacket is still getting work.

• Options

"Things take a turn" was basically the theme for my movie watching week this week.

Also I now know why people hate 'mother!' and I get it but I don't agree with them because that movie was right up my weird weird alley.

mother! was fucking fantastic and this is the hill I'll die on.

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    I saw the first hour of Jason Bourne yesterday. It gave me absolutely no interest in watching the second hour, which I was kinda surprised by considering how much I've enjoyed that franchise. The plot felt aggressively dumb (there's a hacktivist group and they namedrop Edward Snowden multiple times in a plot about surveillance and online privacy, while also having real time access to every CRT camera in the entire world) and the action was near-incomprehensible even for a film series that made its name on shaky cam action.

I wonder if the original Bourne movies still hold up. And if mid-twenties me would have the same reaction to this film.
    That first movie definitely holds up. It's got a tone and a perspective that still feels unique and original. It's a very smart distillation of the kind of paranoid thrillers that the 1970's was full of, but it also moves the formula forward. Plus that chase with the Mini looks fantastic and is now also kind of hilarious since Paul Oakenfold, the most 2003 artist of all time, plays in the background.

The second movie is pretty good, but it's still fucked up that they put Bryan Cox and Albert Finny in the same movie. That's just mean.

But, yeah, that fourth movie is just. . . Man is that movie confusingly bad. I mean, fuck-- okay, this is stupid, but it ends in a fist fight in an underground run-off in Las Vegas and, like, dude. VEGAS DOESN'T HAVE BASEMENTS. It has an inadequate sewage system that floods any time it rains. I've literally known that since I was ten, how does the United 93 guy miss that? . . . But that's, like, the tenth lamest thing about it.

Fuck, now I'm mad. Shit.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Talk to me about Noah, because I'd sure like to hear the thoughts of someone else who actually watched it. :razz:

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I liked Noah! It wasn't perfect but it was a rad weird little grimy bronze age fantasy movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Man, I love Noah. The only thing crazier than the movie itself is the fact that somebody gave Darren Aronofsky a hundred million dollars to make it.

Plus, the whole back half of the movie involves whether or not the main character is going to merk a baby.

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    I saw the first hour of Jason Bourne yesterday. It gave me absolutely no interest in watching the second hour, which I was kinda surprised by considering how much I've enjoyed that franchise. The plot felt aggressively dumb (there's a hacktivist group and they namedrop Edward Snowden multiple times in a plot about surveillance and online privacy, while also having real time access to every CRT camera in the entire world) and the action was near-incomprehensible even for a film series that made its name on shaky cam action.

I wonder if the original Bourne movies still hold up. And if mid-twenties me would have the same reaction to this film.
    That first movie definitely holds up. It's got a tone and a perspective that still feels unique and original. It's a very smart distillation of the kind of paranoid thrillers that the 1970's was full of, but it also moves the formula forward. Plus that chase with the Mini looks fantastic and is now also kind of hilarious since Paul Oakenfold, the most 2003 artist of all time, plays in the background.

The second movie is pretty good, but it's still fucked up that they put Bryan Cox and Albert Finny in the same movie. That's just mean.

But, yeah, that fourth movie is just. . . Man is that movie confusingly bad. I mean, fuck-- okay, this is stupid, but it ends in a fist fight in an underground run-off in Las Vegas and, like, dude. VEGAS DOESN'T HAVE BASEMENTS. It has an inadequate sewage system that floods any time it rains. I've literally known that since I was ten, how does the United 93 guy miss that? . . . But that's, like, the tenth lamest thing about it.

Fuck, now I'm mad. Shit.

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know exactly how they portrayed it, but, uh, Vegas is chock full of underground tunnels, actually. Hundreds of miles of them, running under the entire city.

• Options
    I haven't seen the movie so I don't know exactly how they portrayed it, but, uh, Vegas is chock full of underground tunnels, actually. Hundreds of miles of them, running under the entire city.
    THEY GOT TO YOU TOO

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

You should really see Pi if you liked his other stuff.

My fav of his is The Wrestler though. Sure, it's his most grounded movie, but Rourke is just so fucking good in it.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    hmm. thor 3 was good and I really liked the soundtrack.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Bourne 1 and 2 are awesome still. Bourne 3 is slightly less awesome but still good. Jeremy renner Bourne sucks and the newest one is garbage.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Bourne Legacy is good, actually

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    THEY GOT TO YOU TOO

Get some rest, @Penguin Incarnate. You look tired.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    if I own the book Annihilation and have yet to see the movie Annihilation, should I just go ahead and read it or should I go see the movie before I know where it goes

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    if I own the book Annihilation and have yet to see the movie Annihilation, should I just go ahead and read it or should I go see the movie before I know where it goes

I think you're fine either way. The movie keeps a lot of the tone of the book while being different enough in the actual events that it won't spoil either experience.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    ah man

bridge of spies was a very well made film from a technical standpoint, but it didn't do much for me beyond just being a decent film

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I just watched the post.
    That was a good film

• Options
    THEY GOT TO YOU TOO

Get some rest, @Penguin Incarnate. You look tired.
    I WILL NEVER LOG OFF

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Bourne 2 is unwatchable.

As in, I become physically ill if I keep my eyes on it for more than five minutes at a time.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Lalabox wrote: »
    ah man

bridge of spies was a very well made film from a technical standpoint, but it didn't do much for me beyond just being a decent film
    Boooo! Boo this person!

I was surprised by how much I loved Bridge of Spies. It's not the most daring movie in the world, but there's just something deeply compelling about making a drama that centers around a man standing by his principles. Like, I know it's no A Man For All Seasons, but considering how many movies (especially in the Cold War and especially when taken in the context of nowadays, the War on Terror and all) revolve around action, it's really cool to see a movie that's central conflict is whether or not somebody is going to stick to their principles.

Not that you're wrong or anything, but I found it to be a really cool, really compelling movie (that has way too much over-exposed shots, but whatever). It's an idealistic movie that doesn't come off as sappy or sentimental. It's just a decent movie about a decent person. That's really neat. I'm also a guy with an unironic Norman Rockwell print in my room so, whatever.

Also, they're spies, dude. They're on a bridge. The fuck you want? DO YOU WANT MY BLOOD? TAKE MY BLOOD

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hmm. Just saw Annihilation. Long, slow and sadly dumb.
    the effects of the shimmer excuses a lot, but not everything.

I guess the book gives more reasons for why things happen. But the film has a lot "this happens then this happens" why? Because we need this to happen. Again, the effects of the shimmer accounts for some,
    But it didn't quite stretch far enough for me.
    I liked a lot of it, but not worth my time.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    ah man

Boooo! Boo this person!

I was surprised by how much I loved Bridge of Spies. It's not the most daring movie in the world, but there's just something deeply compelling about making a drama that centers around a man standing by his principles. Like, I know it's no A Man For All Seasons, but considering how many movies (especially in the Cold War and especially when taken in the context of nowadays, the War on Terror and all) revolve around action, it's really cool to see a movie that's central conflict is whether or not somebody is going to stick to their principles.

Not that you're wrong or anything, but I found it to be a really cool, really compelling movie (that has way too much over-exposed shots, but whatever). It's an idealistic movie that doesn't come off as sappy or sentimental. It's just a decent movie about a decent person. That's really neat. I'm also a guy with an unironic Norman Rockwell print in my room so, whatever.

Also, they're spies, dude. They're on a bridge. The fuck you want? DO YOU WANT MY BLOOD? TAKE MY BLOOD

yeah i agree with all that, but to me it just ended up being a nice little film, that did some neat things

i'm glad that it resonated with you tho

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Have we talked about Margot Robbie Femme Fataleing her way through a neon criminal underwonderland yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1LU_M4qL9w

I can't really comment on whether the story will hold up, but I am super down with the visual style this trailer is laying down.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.