As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I think Deadly Arsenal would have been a better card if it either:
    • Cost 4 mana
    • Allowed you to Discover a weapon and deal that damage
    • Draw a weapon and deal that damage

As it is now, the damage does not justify the costs alongside the inefficiency of your deck construction. 6 mana for 5 or 7 AoE (Arcanite/Gorehowl) would normally be fine, but it's hinged on adding a sub-optimal weapon set to your deck. The only really good weapons to run have 2 attack each (Woodcutter's Axe/Bloodrazor), which ain't gonna cut it.

Unless Blizzard prints a high attack, mid-cost mana weapon I don't see this seeing play. Something silly like:

Fragile Blade
    3 mana 6/2
    Battlecry: When equipped, reduce this weapon's damage by 3.

Man, even typing that out makes it situational and bad. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    there has been a bit of control warrior support, so gorehowl could be re-appearing. problem is that blood razor is too good to not run with just about every warrior strategy that's currently or imaginably viable. and that's not a very good combination.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It might not be bad in all-odd warrior

Like kibler, I will also miss dirty rat in standard

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i have an intensely bad feeling about the way people are hedging their bets on odd warrior

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

there's an, uh, issue with that

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

there's an, uh, issue with that

did i misremember a mana cost? if so, my bad

i don't think the all-odd warrior will be very good but i think it'll require experimentation and i'm open to a lot of stuff right now because I really just have no sense of what things'll look like in ~2 weeks

• Options
    the reveal-a-weapon aoe card is 6 mana yes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    whoops, i thought it was 5

why the hell isn't it 5, tho. it's dragon's fury

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I guess the idea is that they already have Brawl on five?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    there has been a bit of control warrior support, so gorehowl could be re-appearing. problem is that blood razor is too good to not run with just about every warrior strategy that's currently or imaginably viable. and that's not a very good combination.

Yeah, basically.

I can't imagine a Warrior deck that wants to damage all minions and wouldn't also want to run Blood Razor

And that just makes Arsenal too weak for a 6 cost spell

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

Yeah, basically.

I can't imagine a Warrior deck that wants to damage all minions and wouldn't also want to run Blood Razor

And that just makes Arsenal too weak for a 6 cost spell

A warrior deck that kills everything in one hit rather than one that takes things down with a lot of pings is an option. Blood Razor really wants other Whirlwind effects (and Sleep, which is rotating) to combo with it, it's only ok by itself. If you're not running Whirlwinds or the DK it's an easy cut.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    warriors don't have an amazing track record for "getting mage spells"

26mOFJo.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    i have an intensely bad feeling about the way people are hedging their bets on odd warrior

Let me tell you how good Odd Druid is though

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

Yeah, I figured it was a deliberate attempt to give Warriors an AoE option for an even cost build.

The odd-cost build is more attractive to me. I have vague ideas of an odd-cost quest warrior build possibly featuring Phantom Militia and Witchwood Grizzly.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Roz wrote: »

Please, go on.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Yeah, I figured it was a deliberate attempt to give Warriors an AoE option for an even cost build.

But both good weapon hits for it are odd!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    it's almost as though the odd/even split is brutally cruel for most classes and not viable

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Please, go on.

I got 15 cards in and sighed then gave up.

You're basically a deck that just hero powers on turn 2/4. Maybe there's a bridge in the remaining cards or its a long term plan, but out of the gate it's pitifully bad.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    How are the prospects for combo Druid without Kun?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »

Guess :D

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I mean there's still Twig! It's.... playable... I think...

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options

I played Twig-only combo Druid just after release and then stopped because it didn't meet my requirements for playability.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2018

jungle giants and twig of the world tree both theoretically enable some shenanigans. problem with the quest is that you need combo pieces to be at the back of your deck. but a 20 mana turn with the potential for a discount enables some stuff.

the witching hour - devilsaur / savage roar or branching paths interaction will at least get attempted pretty early

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Weapon hate cards shut that down pretty hard if it becomes popular

• Options

I played Twig-only combo Druid just after release and then stopped because it didn't meet my requirements for playability.

To clarify, this was a Barnabas-less version that was about Maly->swing last hit of Twig->Ixlid->Faceless (or the other way around, you get three malys either way) into 2x Moonfire. It can't fail to go off like the Barny one can, but you need five turns of swinging with Twig manually and you just can't if it's in your last, say, ten cards.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    Deadly Arsenal is a prank right? That art is from Pathfinder iirc, or a D&D source book so I don't see how it could have ended up in a Blizzard game.

It was on the card reveal schedule, and the streamer who was revealing it hasn't revealed a different one to go "April Fool's", so

Yeah, ek0p did an april fools joke before he revealed that card, so it's definitely genuine.

Here's the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_CCE2N7GG4

Artwork also matches the thumbnail from the visual schedule on the blizzard website.

Weird. That art is definitely not new, I even found some custom hearthstone cards with it from awhile back, but I can't remember where it's originally from. I'm almost certain it's Wayne Reynolds who does a bunch of PF art.

That art is from 3rd edition D&D. It's no younger than like 15 years old.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Just in case anyone was wondering about the revealed count so far:

New druid cards that interact with Jungle Giants: 0

New Neutral minions that interact with Jungle Giants: 3. (Baku which is unplayable, Genn which is also unplayable, and Muck Hunter lolz)

• Options
    honestly i wouldn't sneeze at muck hunter in druid, thinking about it

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018

witching hour is great for the quest. 3-mana for a quest tick with stranglethorns / longnecks / shellshifters .

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options

It feels real cutesy. Sure it fuels spreading plague and swipe takes care of the minions, but against aggressive decks you just put 4 extra damage into your face. It starts as a 5/4 for 5, effectively, and we weren't slamming hungry dragon already.

• Options

witching hour is great for the quest. 3-mana for a quest tick with stranglethorns / longnecks / shellshifters .

Good point.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So many cards in this rotation that I am ready to see go. Maybe I'm an "Original Basic Sets" purist? Everything felt so balanced back in beta. Today, it's essentially impossible to keep everything balanced from set to set. There always have to be stronger classes and weaker classes, and new card releases have to deal with an evolving meta, and... I don't know.

Played a bunch of Spiteful Dragony Priest tonight - thanks for the rec, @Dibby - and went like 1-5, but I also played almost all Secret Mages (Rank 5), so a bit of bad luck there. Will play a lot more of it. Want to get Priest to 500 wins next, and also think I'm going to try for Legend again this month.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Paladin, Priest, and Shaman laugh at your idea of stronger and weaker classes being a thing new to post-expansion metas.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

It feels real cutesy. Sure it fuels spreading plague and swipe takes care of the minions, but against aggressive decks you just put 4 extra damage into your face. It starts as a 5/4 for 5, effectively, and we weren't slamming hungry dragon already.

i think rush is a meaningful enough difference that you can't really compare it to hungry dragon

in general i've warmed a bit up to muck hunter as cards have been shown - not something ubiquitous, but a roleplayer in a few decks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Also I should caveat that every prediction I make takes place after the nerfs, when there's a reason to play something other than Cubelock

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Marin is fun in the miniature warfare brawl. You actually have a reasonable chance of killing the 1/1 chest before losing, unlike with normal shitty 8-mana Marin.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Paladin, Priest, and Shaman laugh at your idea of stronger ad weaker classes being a thing new to post-expansion metas.

Well, fair. You got me there.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    I think Muck Hunter is one of the better cards in the set right now. 8 health is just what you want on a Rush minion, and 5 attack is also enough to be able to trade into most threats and kill them. The downside seems like something you can play around a lot of ways, and also doesn't seem like a bad trade in circumstances where you can't.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Marin is fun in the miniature warfare brawl. You actually have a reasonable chance of killing the 1/1 chest before losing, unlike with normal shitty 8-mana Marin.

But, the chest either draws you 3 cards that likely would have cost 1, summons a pair of 1 cost minions or replaces you hand with random 1/1s. Maybe you highroll an onyxia or something

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Had to win 5 paladin games and 5 brawl games so I threw together this mess for the brawl and ended up going 5-1. I probably got more lucky than the deck is good, but a lot of these cards seem to work pretty well in this brawl!
    vQKwwgLJxwLCzgKc4gKd4gKk5wLQ5wIG8gWWCbLBAobUAtHhAufhAgA=.png