As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I need to watch someone win a game. Any of you on for the next 20 minutes?

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Dungeon run counts right? I’m about to start one

Noggin#1936

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I still think odd Hunter is a thing, maybe? I dunno, I'd have to see some odd costed magic with those last few Hunter cards.

Kripp did another card review and was pretty hype about dropping the double dmg/heal hero power card with Bloodreaver to deal 6 and heal a shit ton. That might just be better than trying to force Hunter into the better hero power class unfortunately.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    Dungeon run counts right? I’m about to start one

Noggin#1936

Thanks Noggin! Got 10 cards of dust instead of 5 today! Yippee hooray!

(one was a golden Wandering Monster....I was really tempted to keep it)

• Options
    I mean, if a few odd/even decks make sense, but most of them don't, I think that's perfectly fine.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Go go Temporus.
    4sx40t5b3bvx.gif

I was worried he might drop DK Anduin as he was running Northshire in the deck (My DK killed off a 5/5 Northshire) so who knows what else he might have in there.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    New Card - Neutral Epic

Witch's Cauldron
    3 Mana
    0/4
    Whenever a friendly minion dies, add a random Shaman spell to your hand.

636582464825791194.png

Edit: Quick Update on Card Totals

6/10 Druid Cards
    5/10 Hunter Cards
    2/10 Mage Cards
    3/10 Paladin Cards
    5/10 Priest Cards
    4/10 Rogue Cards
    3/10 Shaman Cards
    2/10 Warlock Cards
    7/10 Warrior Cards

14/45 Neutral Cards

at least it's not a shaman card

that's all i'll say

if it was a shaman card that'd mean one less card for shaman than everyone else

i, uh, man

....at least epics aren't insta-include must-crafts this time, right? ...ehhh

edit: MEAT WAGON SYNERGY Y'ALLS OH DANGGGGggg

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    New Rare Hunter spell

Wing Blast

636582747220847481.png

4 mana

Deal 4 damage to a minion. If a minion died this turn, this costs (1).

EDIT: Found a nicer image.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    I really fucking like this spell. Lots of synergy with Hunter stuff in this set already, as well as Scavenging Hyena.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    New Rare Hunter spell

Wing Blast

4 mana

Deal 4 damage to a minion. If a minion died this turn, this costs (1).

EDIT: Found a nicer image.

OKAY YEAH I LIKE THIS ONE A LOT

THAT'S A GOOD HUNTER SPELL

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Fak, it's a good even spell. BAKU NOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

(OTK memes aside 2 damage for 1 mana is a better deal than 3 for 2)

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

To add: This is a 4 mana card that you'll probably cast for 1, which makes it an all-even Hunter shoo in.

• Options

I totally agree, but odd costing Hunter cards are better IMO overall for burst and control stuff. If we do the even hero cost route, it could be very good but you're missing out on things like Leeroy, Eaglehorn, Kill Command, Deadly Shot, Hunter's Mark, Tracking, Call Of The Wild... Honestly, the deck would build itself if the Leggos were reversed. Odds reduced to 1, and evens upgraded. It's just upsetting me more that it's not the case, because I like those legendaries and their effects, I'm just not convinced on the value yet.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

I totally agree, but odd costing Hunter cards are better IMO overall for burst and control stuff. If we do the even hero cost route, it could be very good but you're missing out on things like Leeroy, Eaglehorn, Kill Command, Deadly Shot, Hunter's Mark, Tracking, Call Of The Wild... Honestly, the deck would build itself if the Leggos were reversed. Odds reduced to 1, and evens upgraded. It's just upsetting me more that it's not the case, because I like those legendaries and their effects, I'm just not convinced on the value yet.

Call of the Wild gets rotated.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cool hunter card and only a Rare. Nice.

Btw, I never knew that Alleria had a special voice line when playing Deadly Shot. I wonder if there are anymore? Probably a YouTube video with them all. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I don't like the new Hunter spell.

Firstly, it can't go face.

Secondly, at four mana it competes directly with much better cards like Flanking Strike and to some extent even Kill Command. And it falls pretty far short of both of those.

Thirdly, yes, I see that there's a discount. I don't think that the discount will matter much. I think that the discount in this case will be like that of Second Rate Bruiser or Nerubian Prophet, rather than like Corridor Creeper - it'll make it useful in arena, sure, but I just can't see it finding a home in constructed.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options

All I know is that I'm probably building Odd Quest Hunter day one. I want to use Blackwald Pixie/Clockwork Automaton together with the Baku Hunter hero power.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Secondly, at four mana it competes directly with much better cards like Flanking Strike and to some extent even Kill Command. And it falls pretty far short of both of those.

Thirdly, yes, I see that there's a discount. I don't think that the discount will matter much. I think that the discount in this case will be like that of Second Rate Bruiser or Nerubian Prophet, rather than like Corridor Creeper - it'll make it useful in arena, sure, but I just can't see it finding a home in constructed.

It's if *any* minion died this turn. If you're trading it costs 1. If you're going face it costs 4.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It's also only one mana to cast after casting your other Deadly Shot or Flanking Strike or what have you.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Or using Hunting Mastiff.

That's 4 Mana to do 6 damage to something.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Alright let's dissect this

Just because a spell is minion only doesn't mean it's automatically bad. Spells don't always have to go face to be valuable. See: Arcane Blast, Flamecannon, Implosion (granted yes, you got the Imps), Flanking Strike (yes yes same deal).

I think the best direct comparison here is to Arcane Blast and Flamecannon. Arcane Blast was 1 mana, 2 damage, doubled with spell power to 4. Flamecannon was 2 mana, 4 damage, random target. This is 1 mana (yes, 1 mana, it's any minion) choose your target. It's conditional is hardly a conditional.

Again, it's not 4 mana. Not really.

Flanking Strike is good, but that is 4 mana and it's only 3 damage. Often it'll take up your whole turn.

Kill Command is 5 damage, but you often wanna save that as burn. It feels real bad using that to bypass a taunt or kill some threat otherwise.

Wing Blast fills a nice spot (4 damage) that's very very lean on mana usage and allows you to utilize the rest of your mana for developing board and you get to save KC for burn.

Any minion dies this turn. Any. Even disregarding that, you're Hunter. When do you not have a bunch of cheap minions on board? Trade in a 1/1 or some shit and this activates.

All said and done this fills an extremely useful role for Hunter: Cheap, efficient removal. You no longer have to burn KC (and thus your whole turn) to kill a Tar Creeper. You no longer have to trade your whole board in to kill the Tar Creeper. Just one minion.

This also goes really goddamn well with something like UTH.

I feel like every kind of Hunter deck runs this card, maybe even Aggro. Hell, it's actually REALLY good against other Aggro decks, as Aggro yourself. Because you can cheaply and efficiently remove their board whilst continuing to develop yours and you're not using your whole turn to do so.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    Man, I am liking Even control Hunter with this card. Or at least the idea of it.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Hunter has gotten the most love out of the reveals so far.

Priest and Warlock got some strong ones, but overall Hunter's card quality is legit.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Yeah I'm very happy with Hunter in this set thus far. There's a couple cards that are kinda iffy but the rest of them are pretty good.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Dibby, I'm sorry, I continue to disagree. Hunter just does not need a card that will frequently cost four that cannot go face and has no other benefits. Yes, it has a discount. So do cards like Second Rate Bruiser and Nerubian Prophet. Those don't get played either. I also really don't see it being terrible efficient against the better decks in the format - Paladins don't care if you kill a 1/1 dude, Warlocks don't care if you do four damage to a Void Lord or Doomguard. The one card I can see it being handy against in the most obvious T1 decks post-rotation is Knife Juggler, and if you're teching against Paladin that hard you might as well use Grievous Bite instead.

And no one plays Grievous Bite.

I will admit that I'm wrong later if it turns out that I'm wrong, but I'm just not seeing how this card is playable in constructed. It's almost strictly inferior to Hunter's Mark, and Hunter's Mark is by no means an auto-include.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Spiteful priest is such a scumbag deck, I love it. Clawed my way up to rank 5 for the month with my final game being a control warlock matchup that had me:

1. get a free deathwing
    2. grand archivist to mind control his Rin (forcing him to twisting nether)
    3. SECRET AGENT his bloodreaver gul'dan
    4. destroy his deck

he conceded before i could mind control a void lord and then resurrect it against him

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Wingblast seems pretty strong. Minion dying conditional (any minion, not just friendly) doesn't seem too difficult unless you're playing lolspell hunter. And if you're playing that, well, you've already decided you want to be different so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »

Call of the Wild gets rotated.

Wasn't that rotated out a long time ago? ;-)

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Just had a gold quest mage rope each turn at rank 20; when it was obvious this was a thing he was doing it, I just did it back.

I was happily watching Mission Impossible anyway and it had just reached the bike chase scene, so I really wasn’t that fussed.

The 3 ice blocks didn’t save him.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    The thing is that 4 damage to a minion for 4 mana in the absolute worst case isn't even that terrible. Shadow Bolt has seen occasional play. The upside on this card is very high (1 mana is an unreal rate for this type of effect) and having minions die isn't that hard to achieve. Even the most aggressive of decks will trade minions at some point (into either taunts or to preserve board position).

In a mid-range or control shell this card is excellent. In pure aggressive decks it's not as strong, but warrants further testing to see if it edges out Hunter's Mark.

• Options

Interesting....?

Probably not worth playing, but interesting...

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah, dunno how good it is, but that's a fun card to work around and such.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Good against Dude pally after the divine favor. Don't know if it is useful anywhere else.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    This Kills The Rogue

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm glad to see they're printing answers to the most overpowered deck in the meta, Miracle Rogue

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Rat Trap looks great. Either your opponent throttles their threats very carefully for the full game, or they eventually give you a 6/6. Either is a good thing.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    certainly makes it much harder to test a hunter's secrets

• Options
    certainly makes it much harder to test a hunter's secrets

On the other hand, all other Hunter secrets are very easy to test, making this one easy to figure out.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's...a thing, I guess. Hard to see how often it would be useful enough to give up your turn 2 but maybe it slots into Spell Hunter since Cat Trick is rotating.