As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PlayStation’s Insomniac’s Marvel’s Spider-Man, Out September 7

• Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    Cool. Thanks.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine who's playing this now just asked a question I'm stuck on
    What's up with naming a black character Jefferson Davis?
    Is that ever commented on in the comics? Is it an empowerment thing, taking the name away from the president of a racist slaver nation?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's 100% so that Miles would be Miles Davis if he took his dad's last name

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Is that ever commented on in the comics? Is it an empowerment thing, taking the name away from the president of a racist slaver nation?

I don't think so, I think the story outside the comics was that Brian Bendis named him after a friend of his and not, you know, the other Jefferson Davis, but I don't think it was ever made an issue in the comics.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is the weird augmented reality game show mission

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular

Subscribe to my vlog to find out.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

It is a pull from the comics that I didn't expect!

Also, fun fact
    If you scan the QR codes in real life, it redirects to Insomniac's site

• Options
    I guess NG+ isn't coming out today

• Options
    I finally completed all the districts

Or precincts, maybe, because this Spider-Man is a goddamned cop

Cop fan boy aside, this is the best Peter Parker Spider-Man I've ever seen, sorry Tom Holland, you're a close second

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think you mean he’s a...
    Spider-Cop

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The annoying thing is, they could have written the cop bit better.

Oh, I've hacked into the police network. Oh it has boosted my receiving system to my own network and can now see my old bag signals.

Saying he can get into all the networks nearby is weird, unnecessary and too surveillance statey.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The scanners thing is exactly how I was reading it as well. An improved comm system that integrates data from alarms and traffic cams etc. Not HACK ALL THE THINGS including all civilian phones and whatever. It never comes up so it's easy to just treat it as that and not act like Spider-Man has a badge now despite a bunch of evidence to the contrary.

But I'm not american so it's nothing close to as sensitive an issue re Cops. (it's there, sure but still).

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I finally completed all the districts

Cop fan boy aside, this is the best Peter Parker Spider-Man I've ever seen, sorry Tom Holland, you're a close second

Yeah, the performance is so fucking good.

Ending spoilers:
    "I don't know what to do!"

That broke me.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It's 100% so that Miles would be Miles Davis if he took his dad's last name

There's a YA novel (that I don't think is set in any particular continuity) by Jason Reynolds that I believe actually addresses both of these issues

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Well don't keep me in suspense here

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Oh I don't remember if there's any specific commentary, I just know they bring it up

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd call him that to give him a ready-made personality; he'd have no sense of humour anymore because everyone would ask him what the deal was with his name, and he's sick to death of it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • Options
    Question: can I take my tricked out Spider-Man into Ultimate NG+ and go for both trophies at once?

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Question: can I take my tricked out Spider-Man into Ultimate NG+ and go for both trophies at once?

Someone on twitter says that they confirmed that you can do this, but I do not have a direct citation/source

• Options
    I'm hung up on a stupid bullshit reason to not immediately start NG+
    I wanna do like, a "canon" run for costumes

So I'll do one costume at the beginning, and then another one when the switch happens in game, and that'll be it

The problem is, I don't know which costume to start with

I think the "advanced" suit for me is going to be the Last Stand suit, and so part of me is into the idea of going with Homecoming's homemade suit, so that it's an upgrade from one clothing based thing to another

But I'm hung up on indecision

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Goose! wrote: »

Someone on twitter says that they confirmed that you can do this, but I do not have a direct citation/source

you can do this

also it changes you costume as soon as you swing out the window during the first cutscene

I suggest saving as comic or undy spiderman

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They smartly create NG+ in a new save slot so it doesn’t erase your original file, which I’ll likely use to do the DLC stuff.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

you can do this

also it changes you costume as soon as you swing out the window during the first cutscene

I suggest saving as comic or undy spiderman

I did that.
    Also it skips little things like giving you a new suit, so you'll get people complementing your new look (which for me at the time was a skeleton man with a burning skull).

• Options
    It feels really good to be playing through this again

I can't wait for the DLC

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So if I do the NG+, are the tokens from all the side missions reset? Like, instead of bashing my head against all these Gold challenges, can I just grab as many Bronzes and Silvers as I can on two runs and still get enough to unlock all my gear?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    So if I do the NG+, are the tokens from all the side missions reset? Like, instead of bashing my head against all these Gold challenges, can I just grab as many Bronzes and Silvers as I can on two runs and still get enough to unlock all my gear?

It seems that way!

At least, the game is telling me I'm getting tokens from stuff, though I guess I haven't actually checked

• Options
    Yeah, you can do everything again, but any tokens you have are carried over, along with suits, powers, skills and gadgets.

DLC is out tomorrow according to the game, which I'd be happier about if I didn't have today off work.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    My NG+ run is slower than my first run, because I know where the story is headed with certain characters and it makes me sad

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My NG+ run is slower than my first run, because I know where the story is headed worth certain characters and it makes me sad
    I love how the game never really tips its hand when it comes to whether Otto was ever genuine, while leaving a ton of evidence that he was up to something sinister long before Peter figures it out.

• Options
    I've been skipping every cutscene where Sable blame Spider-Man for their own gross incompetence.
    It's turning the game into a speedrun.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the sable stuff was the weakest part of the writing, imo

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yeah I thought the Sable stuff was the weakest link
    I did not buy her sudden shift from "it's cool to have my mercenaries stage a fascist takeover of the city!" To "oh no I feel bad, I must go back to my home country".

Kinda felt like they just needed to get her out of the way so they could wrap the game up.

• Options
    The whole sable's mercs thing was definitely a shitty dodge from addressing actual fascism in American police

• Options
    sable:
    yeah the main thing is that they don't even really do anything with her

she shows up, is kind of a jerk in a really dumb way, and then just....leaves?

otherwise I thought the writing was generally really good

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    sable:
    yeah the main thing is that they don't even really do anything with her

she shows up, is kind of a jerk in a really dumb way, and then just....leaves?

otherwise I thought the writing was generally really good

Isn't there a Sable DLC planned?

• Options
    I don't know

it would make sense though, this kind of thing is like, a classic method for foreshadowing in comics too, which is kind of funny

reminds me of something Peter David might do

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Some of those Sable mercs take way too many hits to bring down.

I'm at the point where most of my upgrades need challenge tokens and I've bronzed all of the challenges and got silver on like... 2?

This is going to be tough.