As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PlayStation’s Insomniac’s Marvel’s Spider-Man, Out September 7

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Raimi suit has some minor differences, raised webbing being one that would be perhaps more difficult to spot at the distance the camera sits from Spidey, more noticeable would be the different back spider

I would not call it distinct looking, however

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    doc ock went from nice to evil a little too quickly for my liking but the slow building was really enjoyable

weird that this version of spider-man has been active for like, fifteen years, but still hasn't met the green goblin

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hey who would you call Spider-Man's "archenemy"

does he have one?

I think the Raimi movies made everyone decide it's Green Goblin, but it seems like the comics (and this game) lately push it as Doctor Octopus

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey who would you call Spider-Man's "archenemy"

does he have one?

I think the Raimi movies made everyone decide it's Green Goblin, but it seems like the comics (and this game) lately push it as Doctor Octopus

I think it's actually followed that exact arc over the publication history

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think Norman Osborn is Peter Parker's arch nemesis

I think Doc Ock is Spider-Man's arch nemesis

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think the suits look outstanding on a technical level but in terms of actual design yeah there's a lot of stinkers

But that's not Insomniacs fault

Except for the one ugly one they designed

That one is very much their fault

Which one is theirs

Edit: asked and answered, counselor

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah for a while it was Green Goblin, then it was Venom for a hot minute, then it was Goblin again (Norman Osborn in particular) and then it became Doc Ock after no one could think of anything cool for Norman to do anymore

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Back in the old old days, Doc Ock was definitely the villain who would most regularly beat Spider-Man all to shit and gone

Goblin basically rocketed to the top of the list with the whole Gwen Stacy thing

By the way if they do make a sequel to this I'm very glad they have in no way made it likely, or even possible, for Norman to establish himself as a villain by killing Peter's girlfriend

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Green Goblin rocketed to the top after the Gwen Stacy thing but I think people forget that Norman Osborn was dead for 20 years. Sure there were Green Goblins after him but it was never really the same. Then of course they brought him back to end the Clone Saga...and then the other Gwen Stacy thing...and just ugh. Ugh.

Jayricho on
  • Options
    Doc Ock is his original nemesis

He was putting together the Sinister Six before The Green Goblin was even introduced

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Doctor Octopus is not just Spider-man's nemesis because of all the stuff he's done but because of his narrative contrast to Peter. Otto is also a very smart but not well-liked guy who the universe kept fucking over who gained some sort of unnatural power in an accident. But unlike Peter he internalized all his bitterness and resentment at a world that spurned him and decided to use his power to take what he believes he is owed. He's in many ways the antithesis of Peter Parker/Spider-Man. It's why Superior Spider-Man worked. The whole "we're not so different you and I" thing is, I believe a really important aspect to a nemesis in fiction, because it needs to be a character who, by their very nature, informs your understanding of the protagonist.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    One of the bigger reasons I think a sequel to this game could be really good is that the way they've set up the nemeses for the next chapter is really bonkers
    And no I don't mean Harry or Venom or Norman or any of that silly shit

The final close-up on Octavius's face is maybe the best facial acting I've ever seen in a video game; you go into that scene thinking Octavius would be broken, maybe inconsolable, but the degree of sheer, unrestrained fury and hatred he has there is both unmistakable and utterly chilling

There's almost no way he returns for Spider-Man 2, but if he ever does then it's going to be the hypest shit

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I really am expecting them to
    Go into Superior Spider-Man at some point

The relationship between Peter and Otto is probably the richest storytelling vein in this first game, and elevating it to that level feels like a natural fit

I'll be curious about when they do it, though

If they do the black suit stuff in the next game, it would probably lead to a Miles v Peter showdown, which would also be the natural endpoint of a Superior Spider-man storyline in this universe, I would think, and they probably wouldn't want to do that twice in a row

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Was really hoping the Iron Spider power would be cooler than what it was.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think Norman Osborn is Peter Parker's arch nemesis

I think Doc Ock is Spider-Man's arch nemesis

I feel like maybe this should be the other way around.

PS4 game spoilers:
    At the end, Peter was going off on how Otto was everything he wanted to be and how much he admired him. On the flip side, there's that bit where Otto says that people like them have a duty to rule those beneath them, even if they don't appreciate it. That is a bona fide evil/perverted take on the ol' "With great power comes great responsibility". I really get the feeling that, at least in the PS4 game anyways, that Otto is what Peter could become if he had no morals.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Oh man, people were actually seriously angry about the no Raimi suit thing? The Raimi trilogy was my introduction to Spider-Man, and he's been my favorite superhero since, but I thought it was just a meme. The internet never fails to disappoint!

Well, to be fair, I don't really like the suit selection of the final DLC either, but I guess they have to save some fan favorites for the sequel, no?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    They're also angry that Insomniac dared to respond to them on Twitter without begging and scraping for forgiveness, because gamers are the goddamn worst.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think the Raimi suit is boring looking so this whole thing has gone over my head.

• Options
    Also this game got me thinking...

What the hell Rocksteady studios been up to? They've been quiet for a while now.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    The rumor going around a while back is that they are working on two DC games, maybe both open world.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Anything folk suggest that I watch before hitting the movies tomorrow and watching Into the Spiderverse.
    I'm only distantly familiar with spider man, and less familiar with the last 6 years.

90's cartoons and an occasional comic, Spiderman 1, 2, & 3, the 2012 reboot, Infinity War movie.

Saw the end of the last few hours of "Insomniac’s Marvel’s Spider-Man".

Huh dang, I've seen more spiderman stuff than I thought.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I have no idea why one of these Hammerhead fronts is giving me so much trouble, but I've died 5 times
    I catch one big haymaker from one of the brute enemies and I'm fucked. I hate these guys

• Options
    Christ, the Screwball challenges in this one suck too

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Christ, the Screwball challenges in this one suck too
    I've liked them a lot more once I stopped going for the best ranking.
    I also super love Insomniac for only making the trophy require second best for everything.

This game has a much more friendly trophy list than most.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I think the SB challenges are actually easier than the ones on the default game.

In the main game time is the most important factor. In this one its just about abusing photobomb bonuses.

It actually messed me up on the stealth mission though cause if you complete it too fast instead of waiting for all the photobombs to appear you actually get less points.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Not sure how I feel about this.
    “Surprise! It’s time to party like it’s 2002. A certain suit is available now in #SpiderManPS4. Yes, *that* suit,” PlayStation said in a tweet.

marvels-spider-man-raimi-suit.jpg

I guess it's good that they want to please their customers, but this wasn't necessary and it does enable whiners to think they can do it again.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I am honestly very disappointed in them, especially after their response to puddles was so good.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This sends a message that harassment works

• Options
    that sucks

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    something like that isn't created overnight, they would have to have already been working on the suit and/or finished it before the latest round of whiny pissbabies got on them

they didn't cave to pressure, and not releasing it to spite the whiners would have been unfair to all the fans of the Raimi movies who aren't entitled turdscooters

• Options
    i feel awful for their social media team

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    obviously it still sucks that the people harassing them got what they want, but I think allowing those people to influence their plans in any way would have been the wrong decision

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    There's been "fans" harassing insomniac staff about that stupid suit since the game was announced

• Options
    So if all this shit hadn't happened, what do you think the plan was for when they were gonna release that

• Options
    Probably christmas day? Film release anniversary?

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    So if all this shit hadn't happened, what do you think the plan was for when they were gonna release that

thats my thing

they completed their dlc plan

i understand this couldn't just have been made because of whiners but theres no way it was planned to release randomly after all the dlc was finished

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

An in-game picture of it on their social media with the words "Merry Christmas", I'm guessing.

But whiny pissbabies threw a tantrum before their surprise Christmas present was revealed so now it looks like capitulation.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's cool to have this, but it will surely validate those goobers in thinking their stupid bullshit is the way to go.

But I also assume they were working on this prior to now, licensing and model work doesn't happen that quickly. So the only reaction they could have would be to not release it...

Blah. Thanks for making me feel conflicted about a cool thing, internet!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea I wish they never released it.

Bleh.

Played the first part of the DLC last night (that was... quick)
    I like that it confirmed Peter and Black Cat were totally boning before.