As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Halfway through the year already? Backlog down or growing?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I mean Valve bought Turtle Beach when they were making Left 4 Dead (and L4D2)

And then they split and made that Evolve game.

Evolve's issues really weren't Turtle Rock's fault.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I mean Valve bought Turtle Beach when they were making Left 4 Dead (and L4D2)

And then they split and made that Evolve game.

You mean Turtle Rock?

stealth-600-ps_headset_4_2.png

This is Turtle Beach.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Look man theres some terrapins and theres some geography.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    You know how relatively recently it was that I discovered that gaming headsets weren't just chat headsets but did the game's audio too? Somehow I was kept out of that loop for a long time.

Very much related, I never thought my Xbox would be the solution to watching movies with big explosions after the neighbors have put their little kids to bed. Yet, here we are.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    You know how relatively recently it was that I discovered that gaming headsets weren't just chat headsets but did the game's audio too? Somehow I was kept out of that loop for a long time.

Very much related, I never thought my Xbox would be the solution to watching movies with big explosions after the neighbors have put their little kids to bed. Yet, here we are.

Some models have a dial that let you ratio game audio and Discord, chat, etc

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same deal with both portals. "Hey, these students from digi-pen have some good game ideas. Lets hire them and have them make them."

And Team Fortress, and Counter Strike, and Day of Defeat, and...

Half Life 3 taking place in a huge open forest where you have to navigate via map, compass, and landmarks confirmed.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This just makes me wonder where Portal 3 is.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    This just makes me wonder where Portal 3 is.

It might be tough to work on Portal 3 before Half Life 3 gets released ( :? ), since there is a chance that Portal 2 takes place fairly far into the future of the Half Life timeline.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

PC audio needs a serious revamp. It is by far the most config stupid thing anymore. I use a nice rainmeter app to toggle between speakers and headset because apparently no one wants audio just going everywhere?

I’ve never heard of a headset with built in controls like what you describe though. Can you give a link or model info?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Pfft- time travel, ignore it, set it in the ffffffffar future. Problem solved with 0 thought put into it!

They just got bored and make too much money not making games, obviously. The people who made Portal may have lucked into that too!

• Options
    edited April 2018

That would be handy. I'll have to remember to look for that if I ever decide to upgrade. It would probably involve model-specific drivers/software, though.

It's weird, when I talk into the mic on my headset, I'm still not used to how I can't hear myself because of the ouside-noise-deadening cans on my ears, and in amongst the background sound of the game and/or chat. But I remember my one and only experience of online gaming on the PS2 - the original Metal Gear Solid Online in MGS3:S - and that fired my own audio right back into the earpiece, which despite it not being lagged at all, was weird and offputting, but that's the only time I've ever had that aside from just dodgy echoes. I guess I'm still used to just using a chat headset on the Xbox, with game audio through speakers so I still hear myself normally.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    ToyD wrote: »

PC audio needs a serious revamp. It is by far the most config stupid thing anymore. I use a nice rainmeter app to toggle between speakers and headset because apparently no one wants audio just going everywhere?

The consoles can do that so easily, there really is no sane reason some simple software couldn't do that for PC (at least without fiddling in Windows sound settings, which can be a bit unhelpful at times). Especially since gaming PCs have made their way into the living room more in recent years, there's absolutely a use case for it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I should replay Portal 2 now that I probably don't remember the solutions to the puzzles.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I should replay Portal 2 now that I probably don't remember the solutions to the puzzles.

It is immensely fun to play every 4 years or so. I just had a replay myself this past December.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Does this mean that Valve makes games again? Or that Campo Santo doesn't make games anymore?
    something something Half Life 3 confirmed

Half life with no guns?

Speed-run: The Game

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Only if there is a specific door you can use to glitch yourself hundreds of thousands of points of health like in Half Life.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    So I dreamt that I woke up at 1:30am last night and, as you do, checked my phone. I had an email saying I'd been gifted Gorn! Then I fell asleep. I woke up this morning and thought 'that was a weird dream'.

Then I turn the laptop on and this is there:

jrisscdibojw.png

I'm not even going to go the usual route of "you monster @jdarksun " because I'll be honest, it's been a tight month for cash this month due to kid stuff and this is one of the VR games I've been wanting to play the most. Seeing it on sale and still potentially out of reach was really winding me up! I absolutely can't wait to give this a go, and I'll try and get a video posted up of me punching the wall/light shades playing this. Massively appreciated!!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Sometimes being a reviewer has its advantages, and I managed to get a copy of Frostpunk, steampunk city builder made by a creators of This War of Mine a few days before its official release.

It's hard, it's grim, and it's engaging. I was forced to restart first scenario a few times after realising what mistakes I made earlier, so I didn't make much progress so far, but it's definitely one of the most interesting games of this part of the year. I hope that it will be as much critically acclaimed as This War of Mine when it get's released!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Sometimes being a reviewer has its advantages, and I managed to get a copy of Frostpunk, steampunk city builder made by a creators of This War of Mine a few days before its official release.

It's hard, it's grim, and it's engaging. I was forced to restart first scenario a few times after realising what mistakes I made earlier, so I didn't make much progress so far, but it's definitely one of the most interesting games of this part of the year. I hope that it will be as much critically acclaimed as This War of Mine when it get's released!

Phew. It releases on the 24th. Which means that my hype for battletech is higher and I can hold off on this game for a few months or until some hypothetical sale.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Heroth wrote: »
    Slowly making my way through all these key's... indie giveaway's!

signature.png
    [...]

I gotta strongly recommend shifty to anyone who likes high-speed action/puzzle games.
    Mechanically it's really similar to Ruiner, and although I think Ruiner is much prettier Mr Shifty got the mechanics and gameplay way tighter. Super fun.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Only took me 8 months, but I finally beat Ys Seven. I enjoyed it, but I can't say it was anywhere near the best of the games in the Ys series. I didn't really enjoy the story, and if I hadn't been overpowered at the end, I would've absolutely hated the final boss because they force you to use all of your party members. I'm glad they auto-level your unused characters as your in-use characters level up, but each character also has skills that only level up when you use them, so many of my unused characters had undeveloped skills. This was the first Ys game to feature a group combat system, and I honestly just missed the simplicity of the previous games where you only have to use one character.

On the other hand, I kind of had similar feelings about Ys: The Ark of Napishtim when I played it on PS2 many years ago. It was the first of several new Ys games that used a new engine, and I didn't like it too much. The following two games greatly improved on that, though, so I'm hoping Ys: Memories of Celceta and Ys VIII do the same thing.

In the meantime, I intend to go back to the earlier Ys games. I want to play both versions of Ys IV, as well as Ys V. Maybe by the time Ys VIII gets fixed on PC (if that ever happens), I'll have finished all the earlier games.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Alright gang, it's nearly go time.

signature.png

Ends just before preload goes live!

A little less than a day to get in on this, and just a couple days until the game drops.

Also, this link is sort of a strategy primer from one of the devs (and apparently HBS winner of their skirmish tournament) and is pretty fantatstic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907

Includes a video of him taking on another dev in a 4v4 skirmish on a cool urban map.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Alright gang, it's nearly go time.

signature.png

Ends just before preload goes live!

A little less than a day to get in on this, and just a couple days until the game drops.

Also, this link is sort of a strategy primer from one of the devs (and apparently HBS winner of their skirmish tournament) and is pretty fantatstic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907

Includes a video of him taking on another dev in a 4v4 skirmish on a cool urban map.

Apparently I'm not in the steam group for these. Sad day. Someone can fix? :)

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Which is more likely in 2018, a furry battle royal game getting announced or a star wars battle royal game getting announced?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    a furry battle royal game

Yes please.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I've been saving spare keys for way too long and never get to do anything with them so I figured I should just give them away at once, and what better place than the Steam thread.
    Some of these are really old, so I'm only 90% sure that the keys are still valid meaning it's possible that a few of them are already redeemed/expired and I apologize in advance if some of them are invalid.

If you see anything that looks interesting, either for yourself, a friend or a loved one, feel free to just send me a PM with the name of the game(s) and I'll hook you up.
    Please take these away from me, Steam thread denizens!

GAMES
    DLCs

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That's some crazy games!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So, I have a handful of games via humble bundle that I don't want. Can I put the gift links into those codes tags here?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Dungeon of the Endless:
    Loading...?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Endless Space collection:
    Loading...?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Endless Space collection:
    Loading...?

Thank you sir for this one.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Mafia III (this one's region locked, so only take if your in somewhere like US, UK, Canada, etc)
    Loading...?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Mafia III: Sign of the Times (DLC; this one's region lock only lists PL as barred from entry)
    Loading...?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Outlast 2
    Loading...?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Subterrain
    Loading...?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Spoit says I throw people under the bus but then he goes and tears up my character sheet and obliterates my soul!
    oxbe0h7a76yz.jpg
    Thank you @ReverseCreations for Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation! I would like to file a complaint! <3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    Instead of working on the games that are in progress on my backlog, I am installing F1 2011 (the one that was free for a bit a while back).

I can't wait to bring prizes and glory to my new racing team, Staximum Overdrive.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Mafia III (this one's region locked, so only take if your in somewhere like US, UK, Canada, etc)
    Loading...?

I took this one. Thank you very much. I'm going to stream it tomorrow. :)

Oh, also wanted to say: Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle is now on Steam & free. It's also free on mobile but it's surprisingly fun. Reminds me of old school NES games like Adventures of Lolo.

Coffey on
    76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So much awesome game giftage going on today.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
This discussion has been closed.