As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bonded vs Unbonded modem channels

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
Do they matter?

I've lived in my current house for over two years, and the upstream/downstream indicator lights on my modem have always been blue, apparently indicating bonded channels. Had some wonkiness with the network extender downstairs this afternoon and had to power cycle the modem/router a couple times. Now the downstream light is still blue, but upstream is green.

the only thing on the wired connection is my PS4/XBone, and running a connection test on PS4, I'm getting download speeds between ~48-60Mbps and upload speeds right around 4.7Mbps which I think is normal for me.

I'm just wondering if I should care. It's only bothering me right now because the light being green is out of the ordinary...

Also, I'm not super tech savvy, so please don't ridicule me mercilessly if I've used the completely wrong terminologies here :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Channel bonding just gets more throughput through more channels. It may or may not actually impact your speed.

50/5 is pretty normal for asymmetrical internet like cable modems.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ok, cool. I'm not gonna worry that something is broken then! :^:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Could be intentional by your isp, could be an snr issue. Either way it may or may not affect your total bandwidth so I wouldn't worry too much if you aren't seeing congestion.