As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't Play With [The Elder Scrolls] Or You'll Go Blind

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Details are so sparse that even vague rumours about where Elder Scrolls 6 will take place are difficult to come across. There’s certainly no shortage of locations, however. The last time the series took us somewhere completely new was when we visited Solstheim in the Dragonborn DLC, exploring an ash-covered Island populated by Dunmer (and perpetually pissed-off Ash Spawn). Both Oblivion and Skyrim took us to places inhabited dominantly by humans, so we’re hoping that a serious change is on the cards - hopefully somewhere inhabited primarily by a non-human race.

The strongest candidate so far is the continent Akavir. A screenshot from Morrowind appears to foreshadow Skyrim’s civil war, saying that the Akaviri (a vampiric serpent race, otherwise known as pure nightmare fuel) is just waiting for a chance to invade the country. Parted from Tamriel by one whole ocean, Akavir would be a wildly different landscape to explore. Hard details on just what the continent looks like from the ground aren’t easy to come by, but four new races do call it home. Regions include Tang Mo (home to an ape-like species), Kamal (populated by demons), Ka’Po’Tun (where you can find tiger-people, who are allied with the inhabitants of Tang Mo), and lastly Tsaesci. Tsaesci is where those bloodsucking serpentine vampires come from, and therefore according to that screenshot is the most likely to invade Tamriel. Not good. Or maybe it is, if you especially relish the idea of encountering such horrifying foes on the battlefield.

https://www.gamesradar.com/elder-scrolls-6-release-date-location-news-races/

I would not be surprised if ES6 is a polished version of ESO

Betheseda has been hiring a lot of positions lately so hopefully we get a teaser at E3

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    What fake geek boy thought solstheim was new F+ write your senator

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Skyrim

random vampire attacks suck (ahaha).

but what sucks even more than that is that there is no indication that you have contracted vampirism until you turn into one =/

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I remember reading a Todd Howard interview a couple of years ago where he said that he knows exactly what he wants to do with TES6, but the technology wasn’t there yet, whatever that means.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Skyrim

but what sucks even more than that is that there is no indication that you have contracted vampirism until you turn into one =/

There's at least one mod that'll fix the vampire attacks on the townfolk so at least you don't have to worry about them. Either When Vampires Attack or Run For Your Lives oughta work. I know one was folded into the other but I don't remember which. As for checking your current afflictions, you can go to your Magic tab and check 'Active Effects' which will tell you about not only any buffs you have but any debuffs and diseases you're currently suffering from.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I remember reading a Todd Howard interview a couple of years ago where he said that he knows exactly what he wants to do with TES6, but the technology wasn’t there yet, whatever that means.

He needs the player to mantle the role of Dreamer and thus create a gradient between Is and Is Not within their brains

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    BLACK MARSH

BLACK MARSH

BLACK MARSH

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm still holding water for the invasion of Akavir.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Smart money is on one of the elf places.

I still hold out hope that they will announce it's coming out in November, and no once can convince otherwise until I am disappointed at E3 again

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Skyrim

There's at least one mod that'll fix the vampire attacks on the townfolk so at least you don't have to worry about them. Either When Vampires Attack or Run For Your Lives oughta work. I know one was folded into the other but I don't remember which. As for checking your current afflictions, you can go to your Magic tab and check 'Active Effects' which will tell you about not only any buffs you have but any debuffs and diseases you're currently suffering from.

Also, if you've contracted the virus that leads to vampirism, you'll get a message the first time the sun goes down that says something like "you feel a strange thirst as night falls." That message means you've got three days to drink a cure disease potion or visit a shrine, and then you won't become a vampire.

An in-game day is a little over an hour real time, so you've got quite a bit of time as long as you don't forget and go nuts with the fast travel.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    After Skyrim, I was absolutely convinced that 6 would be about an Akiviri invasion of Black Marsh, but I don't actually remember what made me think black marsh specifically. It wasn't entirely wishful thinking. I think.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    The Elder Scrolls 6: Dominion

• Options
    Does anyone have any tips when it comes to Oblivion's leveling system? I got the urge to play the GotY version I got on my PC but I heard leveling in Oblivion is somewhat butts as the cool kids say. Is there anyway to make it less so or do I need to download a mod to fix it?

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Skyrim

Also, if you've contracted the virus that leads to vampirism, you'll get a message the first time the sun goes down that says something like "you feel a strange thirst as night falls." That message means you've got three days to drink a cure disease potion or visit a shrine, and then you won't become a vampire.

An in-game day is a little over an hour real time, so you've got quite a bit of time as long as you don't forget and go nuts with the fast travel.

Installing mods removes achievements though

Didn't know about the message, I've somehow missed it every single time =p

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any tips when it comes to Oblivion's leveling system? I got the urge to play the GotY version I got on my PC but I heard leveling in Oblivion is somewhat butts as the cool kids say. Is there anyway to make it less so or do I need to download a mod to fix it?

You pick 7 major skills at the start and levelling those up determines when you Level Up. So if you pick skills you use all the time like athletics and your favourite armour skill you will level up really fast, which makes all the baddies and loot level up fast too. So best to pick major skills you will not use all the time, or which you can control using (like I always used to make Mysticism a major skill cos when you want to raise it you just run around casting Detect Life or something)

There are probably mods that improve it but I can't help you there as all I ever achieved with mods was breaking my game.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I recommend a mod simply because the enemies become annoying damage sponges if you get to a high level.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying Skyrim

There is a mode to enable achievements when playing with mods.

• Options
    what's the mod support like on skyrim enhanced? Is it worthwhile playing on that version, or vanilla skyrim?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Skyrim

There is a mode to enable achievements when playing with mods.

Is that available on the console versions of Skyrim?

• Options

Every time you level you get 3 stat points to assign. Each stat then has a multiplier that is based on the number of that stats related skills you raised since your last level up. It's the number of skill ups divided by 2 rounded down. So if you level up 7 strength skills, your multiplier would be x3. The max multiplier is x5.

Any time you raise a major skill, you get 1 exp towards a level and level up every 10 exp. Due to how level scaling works in that game, if you don't watch your leveling and get a lot of x1s or x2s and end up weak compared to your enemies. Honestly, it a bit over blown. As long as you are getting x3s and x4s you'll be fine. Or just get the mod that fixes all the multipliers at x5.

• Options
    The mod you want is one that fixes the multipliers. Use the number as a difficulty setting (5 is going to be overpowered).

That’s all the game really needs, the levelling is ok otherwise

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    what's the mod support like on skyrim enhanced? Is it worthwhile playing on that version, or vanilla skyrim?

Things have gotten better with the Special Edition since SKSE came out for that version of the game, but if you want to go nuts on mods I'd stick with vanilla Skyrim.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    BLACK MARSH

BLACK MARSH

BLACK MARSH

This is what I want more than anything

But in my heart I know it'll be Dominion

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I really hope it's not the Aldmeri Dominion. They're just so boring.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

I'm sure they'll try to make fighting them more appealing to fans that didn't dig their presence for some reason or the other. At the end of the day though, they do need to get a game dealing with them as you can't just set up a group that's trying to unmake the world by starving a god to death and NOT have them as proper villains for a future game. It was ok to set them up off-screen but you can't likewise off-screen them away.

• Options
    I thought the Dominion were a good foe.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

I'm sure they'll try to make fighting them more appealing to fans that didn't dig their presence for some reason or the other. At the end of the day though, they do need to get a game dealing with them as you can't just set up a group that's trying to unmake the world by starving a god to death and NOT have them as proper villains for a future game. It was ok to set them up off-screen but you can't likewise off-screen them away.

Of course you can

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    yeah, 99% of Elder Scrolls happens off screen

which is fine really

• Options
    I would not be surprised if the next game has a completely different geopolitical situation

Which is fine, really. The grand geopolitical stuff usually isn't that interesting, if it's not in the assassin's guild subplot.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    As long as I get to be a doggy again in the next one I'll be happy enough.

• Options
    So it seems like the original-XB version of Morrowind has gotten a page on the XBox Store site.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I tried asking in G&T but nothing so far. None of my high res textures are loading, and the weird part is they're loose files rather than a .bsa (if I remember correctly loose files have higher priority). I've tried reinstalling them, but no such luck. Any ideas?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’d quite like a Elder Scrolls game taking place anywhere in Nirn, with whatever plot about a tyrant or dragon, then a quarter of the way through a bunch of smoking dwemer craft port in and crash into the earth.

They’re not the bad guys, but whatever they’re running from is.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    The Aldmeri Dominion are awesome foes because they are so fucking mad that the world is a thing that exists, and want everything to just go back to primordial chaos like, yesterday.

• Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    I tried asking in G&T but nothing so far. None of my high res textures are loading, and the weird part is they're loose files rather than a .bsa (if I remember correctly loose files have higher priority). I've tried reinstalling them, but no such luck. Any ideas?

Is Archive Invalidation working?

• Options
    edited June 2018
    McHoger wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »

Is Archive Invalidation working?

I've tried it set to 1 and 0, no change to the textures. My other mods are fine.

edit- Bethesda did a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnEW6dX_BmU

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    For the few on this side of the board that hadn't heard yet, ESO announced it's next expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxG55Li1ADI

It's named after it's locale, Elsweyr, which is the Khajit homeland. It'll introduce the Necromancer class and it's plot is actually part of a year-long story that starts with an earlier DLC called Wrathstone. Again for those few that hadn't heard yet, you might wanna watch the trailer first or just check out the spoiler box below for the name of the story...
    ...which is the Season Of The Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnRQJxanVM

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    As part of the 25th anniversary of the Elder Scrolls series, Bethesda is offering a number of deals, including Morrowind for free if you sign up for a Bethesda account and use their launcher

I have picked up Morrowind and will perhaps finally see what everyone was raving about with this weirdo mushroom game

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    As part of the 25th anniversary of the Elder Scrolls series, Bethesda is offering a number of deals, including Morrowind for free if you sign up for a Bethesda account and use their launcher

I have picked up Morrowind and will perhaps finally see what everyone was raving about with this weirdo mushroom game

This will be the end of you, s'wit.