As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Michael Cohen thread] SDNY cases against Cohen, Stormy Daniels case, bribes through Cohen

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Privilege has been waived for all 12 audio recordings made by Cohen.

Link sources please

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    To clarify, was privilege waived by Team Trump, or was privilege denied by the court?

WACriminal on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    WACriminal wrote: »
    To clarify, was privilege waived by Team Trump, or was privilege denied by the court?

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4615447-Notice-Other.html

Mutual consent, it appears?

Also sorry SIG, just assume it's southpaw if I don't link something. It's usually southpaw.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Who or what is Southpaw and why should I trust them?

• Options
    Yeah just link it always so we all can get the deets

He can pay you for the clicks later

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

They're a lawdog on Twitter who does a lot of solid commentary.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Also sorry SIG, just assume it's southpaw if I don't like something. It's usually southpaw.

If it was mutual consent, I'm doubtful there'll be anything helpful in there.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

We should sticky this! Or let me make an ebum's guide to media consumption thread. ;)

Southpaw is nycsouthpaw, who is a pseudononymous lawyer in New York and prolific tweeter. Not technically verified, but literally everyone on the left trusts them, from media figures like Josh Marshall and Jon Favreau and what not all the way to a ton of elected officials. Smart person generally, particularly good at reading court documents and ferreting out useful information from them.

• Options

Also sorry SIG, just assume it's southpaw if I don't like something. It's usually southpaw.

Remember that Trump's lawyers are Rudy Giuliani and similarly intelligent individuals.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

These are people who tweet out their notes on a possible criminal conspiracy.

• Options
    Fair points, both.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Mutual consent does temper my expectations quite a bit--but Giuliani...

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It's okay to consider that it might mean there is nothing. A competent lawyer wouldn't allow access without a specific and good reason.

But, then...

A stopped clock can be right occasionally, so we'll see soon enough.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Theory is that it’s better for trump et al to waive privilege on this rather than having the special master determine that they are not privileged due to the, you know, recording a criminal conspiracy thing these folks seem to be doing.

Edit: from a PR perspective that is...

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Weren't there actually a ton of recordings, and only 12 or so of them were deemed to be privileged?

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

Remember that Trump's lawyers are Rudy Giuliani and similarly intelligent individuals.

Giuliani is now saying that Trump is not a participant in the other tapes, but merely the subject.

Now, you don't have to be a legal expert to ask, "How could he invoke privilege on a tape he is only the subject of?", but here is a legal expert asking just that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If Giuliani says a thing it’s safe to assume the opposite is true almost always

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    12 does not seem like a lot of recordings

Those were the conversations protected by privilege.

Presumably, there were many other conversations that weren't.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Cohen's friends make it really sound like he is looking to squeal.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07/the-cohen-vs-trump-battle-ratchets-up
    “DID THEY THINK I WAS JUST GOING TO ROLL OVER AND DIE?”: THE COHEN VS. TRUMP BATTLE RATCHETS UP

What might Cohen know about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower between Don Jr., Kushner, Manafort, and a Russian lawyer with ties to the Kremlin who promised to provide them with “dirt” on Hillary Clinton? “When Michael says that he wants the truth out there, and that the truth is not the president’s friend, he is not talking about marginal issues,” says a person close to Cohen. “He’s talking about core issues at the heart of the Mueller probe.”
    Giuliani asserted that the recording confirms that Trump did not know about the McDougal arrangement beforehand (a claim that Cohen’s camp has denied): “People always wondered how he could make the Stormy payment without permission, and this shows that Cohen had the authority to do things like that.” He added that the payment was never made because “Cohen wasn’t able to make the deal.” People close to Cohen have disputed some of Giuliani’s characterization of the conversation, such as his claim that Trump suggested he make the payment with a check, rather than cash, so that it could be documented. (Those around Cohen said that it was, in fact, the other way around.) Two people familiar with Cohen’s thinking believe that Trump’s lawyers decided to waive privilege to undercut Cohen, who could have potentially used the exclusive possession of the material as a bargaining chip to cut a deal with prosecutors. (Cohen has not yet met with the government, according to these people, but he suggested that he may be open to the possibility during a recent interview with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos. Giuliani told me that while he did not leak it, he was glad it got out.)

Despite the tape’s release, however, people familiar with Cohen’s thinking are confident that his value as a potential cooperating witness is undiminished. “It’s not the recording that is valuable,” one person said. “It’s the backstory.” Another person close to Cohen said that he was privy to information that could be valuable to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia’s attempt to interfere in the 2016 election. “When Michael says that he wants the truth out there, and that the truth is not the president’s friend, he is not talking about marginal issues. He’s talking about core issues at the heart of the Mueller probe,” this person continued. Three people familiar with the situation believe that Cohen has discussed information about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower, during which Don Jr., Kushner, and Paul Manafort met with a Russian lawyer with ties to the Kremlin who promised to provide them with “dirt” on Hillary Clinton. (Cohen declined to comment.)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I feel like this is just Cohen trying to coerce a pardon out of Trump that Cohen knows isn't coming on its own, given the news about the recordings and Trump's reaction.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I feel like this is just Cohen trying to coerce a pardon out of Trump that Cohen knows isn't coming on its own, given the news about the recordings and Trump's reaction.

After secretly recording conversations with Trump, there is a 1% chance Cohen gets a pardon now, and only that because Trump may just forget it happened.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »

After secretly recording conversations with Trump, there is a 1% chance Cohen gets a pardon now, and only that because Trump may just forget it happened.

If that's all it takes, then I'd put the odds closer to 50/50.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    If Giuliani says a thing it’s safe to assume the opposite is true almost always

If Giuliani said the sky was blue, I’d sprint to check outside in a panic because the the atmosphere is probably on fire.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Why would you ever wave priveledge for anything that you aren't 100% sure exonerates you.

Like I'm an ADD riddled 36 year old living at home and even I get that privilege is something you cling to like a god damn life ring.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Why would you ever wave priveledge for anything that you aren't 100% sure exonerates you.

Like I'm an ADD riddled 36 year old living at home and even I get that privilege is something you cling to like a god damn life ring.

It's all according to keikaku*

*keikaku means really stupid plan

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

It's really weird when you're pretty sure that a team of marginally intelligent law students could do a better job than the president's lawyers. Well, at least a better job than Guiliani is doing.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

It's really weird when you're pretty sure that a team of marginally intelligent law students could do a better job than the president's lawyers. Well, at least a better job than Guiliani is doing.

I am confident that between all the lawyers we have here we have a better legal team than the president.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »

I am confident that between all the lawyers we have here we have a better legal team than the president.

I am pretty confident we don’t even need them

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

more like caca-ku

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

more like caca-ku

Caca coup.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yes, it really feels like Cohen has become increasingly desperate as he has run out of money for his lawyers and is steadily realising that Trump does not give a shit about him and is not gonna save him. And so Cohen keeps floating the vague threat that Trump needs to give him some help or else.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Anything Cohen says to the media is designed for an audience of exactly one person.

I'm ignoring him until he shuts his gob in public and starts actually talking to Mueller and/or whatever prosecutors are involved with his particular case. Everything else is begging for help from the President.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Chris Cuomo has the Cohen/Trump audio tape and is playing it now on CNN.

Cohen's lawyer is on and pleaded directly to the camera to please just listen to the tape, where Trump says "we should pay her in cash."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Chris Cuomo has the Cohen/Trump audio tape and is playing it now on CNN.

Cohen's lawyer is on and pleaded directly to the camera to please just listen to the tape, where Trump says "we should pay her in cash."

The recording, which was provided to CNN by Cohen's attorney Lanny Davis, was made in September 2016.

"What is this about? This is about honesty versus false disparagement of Michael Cohen. Why is Giuliani out falsely disparaging Michael Cohen -- because they fear him," Davis said on "Cuomo Prime Time."

"What do they fear, Chris? Why am I representing him? They fear that he has the truth about Donald Trump. He will someday speak the truth about Donald Trump. The truth is that when Donald Trump said 'cash,' which Rudy Giuliani knows that only drug dealers and mobsters talk about cash, it was, you heard Michael Cohen ... say what? 'No, no, no, no.'"

Davis later added: "Ladies and gentlemen, if you voted for Donald Trump, listen to the tape and ask yourself: Is Donald Trump lying when he said he didn't use the word 'cash' and accuses Michael Cohen of using the word 'cash'? Cohen has been disparaged. Cohen has been insulted and called all sorts of things by people around Donald Trump."

I wouldn't take him at his word necessarily but it's hard to imagine this being a scheme initiated by Trump. Cohen's lawyer released it because he thinks it looks good for Cohen. At least better for him than for Trump.

Zek on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Cohens Lawyer releases it because Trump waived privelege.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Wait, so Giuliani said that the tape exonerated Trump because he insisted on paying with a check, but the tape clearly has Trump saying they should pay in cash? And they waived privilege on this?

Nothing means anything.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Wait, so Giuliani said that the tape exonerated Trump because he insisted on paying with a check, but the tape clearly has Trump saying they should pay in cash? And they waived privilege on this?

Nothing means anything.

These people really do make me want to use the Psyduck picture.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular

Nothing means anything.

This is like a direct-to-video sequel to Liar, Liar where he can only speak in the dumbest, most obvious lies

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I wouldn't take him at his word necessarily but it's hard to imagine this being a scheme initiated by Trump. Cohen's lawyer released it because he thinks it looks good for Cohen. At least better for him than for Trump.

Guiliani likely leaked the story in advanced in order to control the narrative before anyone else had the chance.

And apparently the campaign is now basically claiming that Trump actually said "wouldn't" in regards to using cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBB9TcOGqTg

8:45 in.

CNN is a TV news network.

This discussion has been closed.