As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Michael Cohen thread] SDNY cases against Cohen, Stormy Daniels case, bribes through Cohen

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    These are not mob-boss tactics. Anyone this incompetent would never rise that far.

He didn't rise this far, he was placed at the top by his father and everyone below him has resented him his entire life. It's why he's so starved for friendship and why he values loyalty so much. He's playacting the role of a mob boss because that's what he thinks he's supposed to do as the boss of a company, and now as the President. He literally has the same thought processes he had as a child because nothing in his life ever forced him to actually grow up.

Its more then that. Stories from his school tell of Trump claiming to hits in baseball games where he plainly didn't hit a single ball(in front of hundreds of witnesses). Of being a ladies man in an all male boarding school. If Trump hadn't been born rich, he would have gone through life as a Walter Mitty type AT BEST.

Guy has all the hallmarks of a Narcissist from an early age.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    These are not mob-boss tactics. Anyone this incompetent would never rise that far.

He didn't rise this far, he was placed at the top by his father and everyone below him has resented him his entire life. It's why he's so starved for friendship and why he values loyalty so much. He's playacting the role of a mob boss because that's what he thinks he's supposed to do as the boss of a company, and now as the President. He literally has the same thought processes he had as a child because nothing in his life ever forced him to actually grow up.

I never said he did rise. I said he never would.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This isn't on topic.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So, this is probably some of what Cohen had helped Hannity with.

Jon Swaine is a reporter for the US branch of the Guardian.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Uh

hmmm.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "real estate advice"

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Propagandist and real estate vulture. All he needs to do now is own a sweatshop and he'll get the Scumbag Triple Crown

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    That makes me probably incorrectly suspicious of if there were other payment than the ones Hannity denied when he said, “Michael Cohen never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received, and invoice or paid legal fees.”

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    From the article.
    Hannity’s chosen investment strategy is confirmed by thousands of pages of public records reviewed by the Guardian, which detail a real estate portfolio of remarkable scale that has not previously been reported.

The records link Hannity to a group of shell companies that spent at least $90m on more than 870 homes in seven states over the past decade. The properties range from luxurious mansions to rentals for low-income families. Hannity is the hidden owner behind some of the shell companies and his attorney did not dispute that he owns all of them.

The real estate holdings linked to Hannity are spread across more than 20 shell companies formed in Georgia. Each of the companies uses a variant of the same name, which combines the initials of Hannity’s children. Public records show the companies have bought up dozens of properties in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, New York, North Carolina, Texas and Vermont.

The Georgia purchases were funded with mortgages for $17.9m that Hannity obtained with help from Hud, which insured the loans under a program created as part of the National Housing Act. The loans, first guaranteed under the Obama administration, were recently increased by $5m with renewed support from Carson’s department.
    The article also notes that Hannity criticized Obama for those loans. While he took advantage of them starting in 2013.

So yeah. It's easily verifiable in public record, his lawyer doesn't deny it, and he seems to be basing the companies out of Georgia for some reason. I don't see anything in this article about why that is the base of operations for this sham.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    We're gonna need a Hannity thread, aren't we?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    That makes me probably incorrectly suspicious of if there were other payment than the ones Hannity denied when he said, “Michael Cohen never represented me in any matter. I never retained him, received, and invoice or paid legal fees.”

That was probably one of those "clever" literally true statements that are effectively false.

The shell corporations probably paid Cohen.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Is there any evidence of Hannity doing anything illegal, or is it just him being a hypocrite?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Seems like something we'll have to wait to find out. Shell company usage doesn't mean he did anything legally actionable. But this does 100% confirm hypocrite status. And proves that he loves him some Obama policy.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Is there any evidence of Hannity doing anything illegal, or is it just him being a hypocrite?

He sought legal advice from Michael Cohen?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    What are the possible reasons behind the shell companies besides masking the true owner? Is there anything truly nefarious here or just standard deception and hypocrisy typical of a blowhard like Hannity?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I guess we'll find out since this is breaking now. Again, I'm personally interested why Georgia is the pit for all these companies to be based in - does it have some sort of law that benefits property ownership or the acquisition thereof? More importantly this highlights the current administration being corrupt as shit because of HUD being used to Hannity's benefit in a very direct way.

But either way not direct relevance to the case against Cohen I guess. Well, yet anyway.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Ask again on Friday?

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Well now we know Hannity is a shady hypocrite with massive shell companies he didn't want disclosed who had contact with shady ass "lawyer" Cohen.

I guess nothing illegal as of yet but there definitely seems to be dots waiting to get connected.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I guess we'll find out since this is breaking now. Again, I'm personally interested why Georgia is the pit for all these companies to be based in - does it have some sort of law that benefits property ownership or the acquisition thereof? More importantly this highlights the current administration being corrupt as shit because of HUD being used to Hannity's benefit in a very direct way.

But either way not direct relevance to the case against Cohen I guess. Well, yet anyway.

I mean, it sounds like he also got millions from Obama era programs (while he railed against them)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Spoit wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

I mean, it sounds like he also got millions from Obama era programs (while he railed against them)

This aspect (Hannity is a hypocrite) seems like it doesn't have much to do with the investigation targetting Cohen.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    What are the possible reasons behind the shell companies besides masking the true owner? Is there anything truly nefarious here or just standard deception and hypocrisy typical of a blowhard like Hannity?

Tax dodge

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Butters wrote: »

Try asking Cohen.

Edit: That's probably why Hannity said he didn't get any actual help. "Hey Cohen, how do taxes for shell corporations work?"

"I don't know, try asking a lawyer."

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Its been kind of fun watching the legal system hoist Cohen on his own petard, by explicitly denying him his preferred tactic to get a lawsuit to settle: delaying actions to bleed your opposition's coffers dry. They finally came up against someone who won't run out of money fighting them at legal bull-jitsu and can simply say "Stop this, now" and actually get compliance.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Which goes to show that our justice system has some serious issue. Imagine shitheads like Cohen are probably rather abundant because as long as you don't get in a fight with the government or someone with the means to either shut down your legal bullshit or weather it, you can pretty much get away with a ton of shit. This probably explains some of the flailing because they aren't used to legal matters going this way. Hell, government is also one of the opponents, where once you start doing illegal shit, you can't really control when they decide to crack down on your ass and there is no way to avoid them doing so.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Which goes to show that our justice system has some serious issue. Imagine shitheads like Cohen are probably rather abundant because as long as you don't get in a fight with the government or someone with the means to either shut down your legal bullshit or weather it, you can pretty much get away with a ton of shit. This probably explains some of the flailing because they aren't used to legal matters going this way. Hell, government is also one of the opponents, where once you start doing illegal shit, you can't really control when they decide to crack down on your ass and there is no way to avoid them doing so.

I was listening to pod save america, or the world, one of them, and I think it was a washington post guy saying that basically most white collar crime goes unprosecuted, and thats why trump was able to get away with so much shit, because by the standards needed to investigate white collar crime, he was a small fry. Becoming president was the stupidest thing to do in the context of how he conducted his business.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I was listening to pod save america, or the world, one of them, and I think it was a washington post guy saying that basically most white collar crime goes unprosecuted, and thats why trump was able to get away with so much shit, because by the standards needed to investigate white collar crime, he was a small fry. Becoming president was the stupidest thing to do in the context of how he conducted his business.

It's not just that the standards to prosecute are high, but that real estate in every global city is partly an engine of wealth because it is money laundering for foreign entities. Also domestic entities.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I think I'm gunna keep suspecting that at least some of the money Hannity has stashed in shady housing deals is coming from corrupt Russians.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It’s probably less standards of prosecution and more standards of warrants

For the most part white collar crime produces few victims that either

A) know they’re a victim
    B) want to talk to the police about it.

The rest of the evidence is on paper only, hidden away in a cabinet or on a computer. And unless there is a reason to search there is no search.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So, this is probably some of what Cohen had helped Hannity with.

Jon Swaine is a reporter for the US branch of the Guardian.

Definitely a $10 advice situation

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

This particular episode has come up a few times in the thread, so I am just going to link to it in case people want to hear it.
    https://crooked.com/podcast/not-scrupulous-individual/

It's an interview with Adam Davidson, writer for the New Yorker, about his recent piece.
    Michael Cohen and the End Stage of the Trump Presidency

The interview starts at 44:10

The bit about white collar crime starts at 51:36

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

A) know they’re a victim

The rest of the evidence is on paper only, hidden away in a cabinet or on a computer. And unless there is a reason to search there is no search.

Plus agencies like the IRS are severely underfunded so they don't have the proper expenses or manpower to go after a big corporations and/or wealthy individuals even if they wanted to.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

A) know they’re a victim

Plus agencies like the IRS are severely underfunded so they don't have the proper expenses or manpower to go after a big corporations and/or wealthy individuals even if they wanted to.

And the punishments are so lax that there's no deterrent. Oh, you committed a multi-billion dollar fraud? We'll fine you a couple hundred million.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DedmanWalkinDedmanWalkin Registered User regular
    I don't understand why the Government doesn't use Civil Asset Forfeiture to punish companies on top of fines.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I don't understand why the Government doesn't use Civil Asset Forfeiture to punish companies on top of fines.

The sort of folks who commit these crimes are the sort of folks who employ lawyers. Forfeiture works a whole lot better against people who are too poor to retain lawyers.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    It's a weird thing to reflect on, but a person who makes 36 million dollars a year for talking out his ass, spewing vitriol and hate at the poor for taking government money, having found to also have been secretly taking government money in order to turn a profit he did not need at all, and knowing that it was wrong and hypocritical enough to actively cover it up with shell companies...it's a supreme obscenity. It's fucking obscene in a way that goes beyond words.

...it's just so much more morally repugnant than the whole stormy Daniels thing.

It's this kind of deeply upsetting swampy mass. Like there's this grand undercurrent of grotesque wealth acquisition that exists so far below what the media actually ends up covering, and what stories actually get traction.

Did cohen actually manage the real estate stuff? Or did hannity use proper lawyers for that? Because my sincere hope is that because cohen is such a shit lawyer that he fucked up and did something illegal in the process, and hannity loses money or gets dragged through proceedings

Though honestly in this country it feels like once you're rich enough you can never lose your wealth no matter how much you fuck up, and there's no level of shame which will shoo these people away.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I guarantee you Hannity doesn’t think it’s hypocritical at all that he took advantage of a scheme he criticised in public.

If you called him on it, he’d probably say he was proving a point about how easy it is to take advantage of the system or most likely go “why shouldn’t I make money this way?”.

And with regards to making money he doesn’t need, I imagine he doesn’t see it that way (regardless of whether it’s off the misery of others).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Enron. After the political blowback of Enron and their accounting frim getting (deservedly) completly destroyed and those working there all on the news talking about how the government took their jobs away, there has been no appetite to even try to inflict any sort of penalty that would actual affect their bottom line.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Slight irony then that Enron were taken down by Mueller.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I guarantee you Hannity doesn’t think it’s hypocritical at all that he took advantage of a scheme he criticised in public.

If you called him on it, he’d probably say he was proving a point about how easy it is to take advantage of the system or most likely go “why shouldn’t I make money this way?”.

I love it when people say they were proving a point about something.
    That's why they hide their involvement behind multiple front companies, to prove a point.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I only committed crimes to prove how easy it is in our broken society to commit crimes.

You should be thanking me.

This discussion has been closed.