As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM: Steam sale almost over! Red Faction & Wreckfest out now!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They're self publishing the game, and given the reception of LawBreakers, they're probably pushing the game into early access ASAP to get revenue in.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    They're self publishing the game, and given the reception of LawBreakers, they're probably pushing the game into early access ASAP to get revenue in.

Yeah. Lawbreakers was such a colossal flop that I'm surprised it didn't destroy the company outright. The probably needed an immediate infusion of money.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh jeeze your history with battletech sounds eerily similar to mine, down to trying the tabletop a few times and not really getting into it and carrying a mech schematics sourcebook around to school with me. I think I first got into the setting with mechwarrior 2 in 5th or 6th grade, and I brought the manual to school sometimes because it was awesome. It was styled like a small version of the technical readout sourcebooks with the schematics for the mechs that were in the game, and I later started collecting the actual sourcebooks to read the fluff and look at the pictures and schematics. Loved that shit. I also got very into the battletech novels for a few years, I devoured them as fast as I could find them.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide what I want to play for the PoE2 character.

I'm not going to be porting a character over, despite having played the first game probably three times now (once when it was first released, once when the first expansion came out, and once when both expansions were out). I'm just not sure if I have the save games available or if I want to revisit those characters or whatever.

So far I've played an Aumua chanter, a human (I think) cipher, and a pale elf barbarian. So I'm probably not going to repeat one of those, although I remember very little about my cipher so I might dip into that well again. Plus I know they changed some things about how classes work so maybe I can revamp a concept I've done previously and pull it off better this time?

I believe you get to retool your character's class and such if you import

not sure about other character details though

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide what I want to play for the PoE2 character.

I'm not going to be porting a character over, despite having played the first game probably three times now (once when it was first released, once when the first expansion came out, and once when both expansions were out). I'm just not sure if I have the save games available or if I want to revisit those characters or whatever.

So far I've played an Aumua chanter, a human (I think) cipher, and a pale elf barbarian. So I'm probably not going to repeat one of those, although I remember very little about my cipher so I might dip into that well again. Plus I know they changed some things about how classes work so maybe I can revamp a concept I've done previously and pull it off better this time?

I believe you get to retool your character's class and such if you import

not sure about other character details though

I've switched computers since I last played, so I'm not sure which (if any) save games I still have around. Plus, my favorite of my three major characters was the last one, and I went for some really hard choices roleplaying wise. I doubt things ended in the best light with many of the characters.

I'm pretty sure Aloth is dead in a ditch somewhere is what I'm saying (my character did not take certain things that she considered to be a betrayal very well).

Which, given that he's supposedly coming back, I'm not sure I really want to continue in that particular path? Like, she was a good character, but it's also been like a year and a half since I played her too, so I'm not sure if I want to try to bring her back, you know?

So I'm looking at the new multiclassing and specialization stuff. I think a multiclassed rogue might work for me in a way that the rogue class by itself never really did - I'd probably go for either ranger or monk as my second class.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Lars wrote: »
    So I managed to actually get Oculus Rift, and way sooner than I'd anticipated.

It's cool.

I have been rubber-banding the right controller to my arm, so even though I'm missing that hand I can still move the controller around and hit the trigger on it with the end of my arm. For any other buttons I have to reach over with my left hand and hit them, which is a little awkward when I can't actually see the controllers.

(also on a personal note, it is a little odd seeing a right hand when in a virtual space)

Anyways, here's my experience with the games I've played:

Payday 2:

Controls fine, I can do everything I need to do without much trouble...except it gives me really bad motion sickness. I'm going to work on adjusting the settings to see if I can make it easier to stomach.

Robo Recall:

This game is great. I can do the controls just fine, except I only use one gun instead of two so it makes it a little harder for me. I have trouble tearing robots apart with my bare hands though, as it requires using both controllers at once in a way that's not easy for me. No motion sickness with this one. On another note, my wife loves this game and has played it more than me.

Dead & Buried:

A lot of fun, and again it controls fine but I'm only using one gun instead of two so it makes it a little harder for me. I tried the Horde mode alone and got easily overrun, so I guess I'll need to find other players to play that mode with.

Lucky's Tale:

I've only played a little, but it seems fun and is perfectly controllable with one controller. It makes me a little motion sick though.

Valkyrie's Blade

Again, only played a little but it worked fine. I just switched the sword to my left arm and went to town.

Air Car

This was cool, but I had trouble with the controls because a lot of important functions are on the right controller. I need to test to see if I can plug in a 360 controller and use that instead (I don't have an Xbox One controller).

Some Disney Thing:

This was just some free thing I downloaded because I think my nieces and nephew may like it. It doesn't have much though. Two notable things put you into the live action Jungle Book movie, seeing through the eyes of Mowgli. It's essentially just a video and you can't move or interact, just watch. The first scene is when Mowgli meets Kaa. I noped out of that one because a giant snake curling all around me with me unable to move is not a fun time. The second one is Mowgli's meeting with King Louie. If some primal part of your brain screamed "that monkey is too big" when watching the movie, then just wait until he comes out of the shadows and towers over you in person. Sadly, the scene ends before he starts his song.
    The other notable thing is sitting at the dinner table in the live action Beauty & the Beast while Ewan McGregor's Lumiere sings "Be Our Guest" and the plates and everything dance in front of you. In this one you can interact and grab things that fly by, and there is a checklist at the end of all the things you managed to interact with or missed. My nieces are obsessed with that movie so should love this.

BBC's Home:

FUUUUUCK. Okay, so you're on the International Space Station. You're pulling yourself around in zero gravity. It works fine because the only buttons it uses are the triggers and that's the one button I can easily hit on the right controller. So they want me to go out into space and pull myself over to a damaged panel to take some pictures of it. No problem, it's a little trippy pulling myself around in Zero-G but whatever. Then...
    ...the fuckers pulled a Gravity on me and had debris knock me off the station and sent me spiraling off into space, then tasked me to try and get back with the limited O2 and fuel that I had. However, I was so motion sick from the ordeal that I failed that and haven't reattempted it. I'm not sure how much longer the game would be after you get back.

Google Earth:

Okay this is pretty amazing. Being able to stomp around cities as a giant, or zoom out so far you can hold the Earth in your hand, or swipe across the sky to turn day into night. It's also cool with how certain landmarks allow you to go inside and look around. I may have spent more time with this than any of the other programs so far. It's also super easy for me to control.

Also I looked into that Nicholar Cage VR thing, but it's kind of dumb. It's just you in a VR space watching a movie on a theater screen, except for certain scenes it will fold out into 3 screens so you can also look left and right at those.

I also got a free Chess and free Solitaire game, just because I was amused by having an expensive VR rig and just playing Chess/Solitaire. Both of those games controlled fine and didn't make me sick or anything. There was also a free Wingsuit game I tried, but it didn't work. I've also downloaded some horror games that I haven't tried yet.

Overall I'm happy with it and have had a lot of fun. I do have to figure out a way to handle the motion sickness though. I'm also debating getting into streaming as a one-handed VR player or something like that.

It’s surprising and awesome that so many of these work with only one hand

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It’s surprising and awesome that so many of these work with only one hand

Yeah, I'm lucky that I can hit the right trigger since that's usually the most important one. I also got to test it out at a Best Buy before I got it, to make sure I could use it well enough (though when I tested it there, I bound the controller to my arm with a wrist brace instead of rubber bands--still not sure which method is better for me).

I've been really happy with it, and I've only used the free software so far (aside from Payday 2, which I already owned from years ago). Half those games came free with the bundle, and the rest were free on the Oculus Store.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    oh hey endless space 2 for 12 bucks seems like a good enough deal all on its own, I may grab that

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dungeon of the Endless is a lovely little game. Kind of a tower defense/dungeon crawler with just the best characters and item descriptions.

Also, if you like 4x games and haven't tried Endless Legend, you got to try Endless Legend. It's so good in so many unexpected and innovative directions at once, it's nuts.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://kotaku.com/korean-companies-fined-950-000-over-loot-boxes-1825129253
    Korean Companies Fined $950,000 Over Loot Boxes
    Three game companies—including online giants Nexon—have been fined almost one million dollars by Korea’s Fair Trade Commission over deceptive loot box practices.

NextFloor ($4,600) and Netmarble ($55,000) were also ordered to pay small fines, but the bulk of that judgement ($875,000) was reserved for Nexon, particularly for its handling of the game Sudden Attack.

The Korea Herald reports (via DOT esports) that Nexon’s fine comes as a result of its advertising of loot boxes for a Sudden Attack event, in which two of 16 puzzle pieces (which when completed could grant an in-game bonus) were offered in $0.85 purchases.

The Korean FTC argued that consumers believed the odds of obtaining each piece were the same, when in fact some of the pieces would only be present in 0.5% of loot boxes. They highlighted the case of one player who spent $430 trying to get the pieces as an example of the effect that advertising was having on players.

[...]
    Wow. That is just evil.

That is exactly how the mcdonalds monopoly contests work too. Though I guess they print their odds. Somewhere.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That's why it's super important that blind box and gacha games ought to have rates listed

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Re: difficulty, if I want to play a harder difficulty I will set it to that from the get go. Once I lower the difficulty I find it very hard to ever raise it again.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I ran lower difficulty just to knock out a few really annoying achievements

If I'm playing for realsies it's still on Normal

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I've been installing some older-ish RPGs on Rachel's laptop (using GoG, so I don't have to worry about being connected to the internet), and most are running pretty well, actually! Wasteland 2 looks a little grimy but I don't think that was ever optimized terribly well, but it seems playable at the very least.

Legend of Grimrock looks really good, actually! And Pillars of Eternity has longish load times (something I even noticed on my PC), but when ingame seems to run pretty nicely. I haven't tried it yet but I imagine Tyranny would run similarly, since they're on the same engine and all.

• Options
    I'm over the hump with BG1 I think. Adding Edwin helped a lot, mages are the most interesting part of BG combat. He and Viconia don't actually do much, but occasionally throwing a sleep into the mix can be helpful. I'm not being challenged very often, but as it's an "evil" group, I do have balls hard flaming fist mercenary groups constantly spawning on me.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    AH SERVE THE FLAMIN' FIST

• Options
    I had to go and dump a bunch of money in the temple, it was getting a bit much. I have a constant -4 from Viconia and Dorn, and I'm planning on picking up the evil sorceror for an extra -2 as well. At some point I imagine I'll be able to just roll them, for sweet loots and xpees.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I am really liking Wasteland 2 right now despite some issues I have with certain characters.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    *rocks back and forth* Two weeks till Battletech.

I started watching some livestreamer play through the game as I do chores around the house and my hype levels are rising.

I hope they have a better tutorial in the final launch because while the game seems pretty intuitive to me, there are some key concepts (moving more in a turn makes you harder to hit) that the streamer is having to sort of stumble into learning.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    hm. Hollow Knight now reports 100% completion, but I'm missing a mask shard and three charms.

seems a touch glitchy.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Valve just implemented a change that basically kills Steam Spy.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ok

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Well, that certainly makes looking at people's profile pages a lot less interesting. (Also harder to figure out what games they might like based on what they've played a lot of.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    hm. Hollow Knight now reports 100% completion, but I'm missing a mask shard and three charms.

seems a touch glitchy.

Take it and run, you're free.

Freeeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Hello Most Relevant thread,

Can anyone help me figure out what regional accent Mathias has in Tomb Raider 2013?

https://youtu.be/nrnnZrMxRB8?t=240

(At 4:00 if timestamp doesn't work).

I fully cannot place it.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Hello Most Relevant thread,

Can anyone help me figure out what regional accent Mathias has in Tomb Raider 2013?

https://youtu.be/nrnnZrMxRB8?t=240

(At 4:00 if timestamp doesn't work).

I fully cannot place it.

it's somewhat affected

i think it's supposed to just deliberately be "off" and "unplaceably foreign"

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I haven't played Tomb Raider, but that accent sounds like he's from Obvious Evil Guy Lying About His Identity Island.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Well, that certainly makes looking at people's profile pages a lot less interesting. (Also harder to figure out what games they might like based on what they've played a lot of.)
    is it still visible to people in your friends list? I feel like that would alleviate the problem.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    While I understand the frustration in losing access to that data letting users have a more concious degree of opting in to sharing that data is a much better policy.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    is it still visible to people in your friends list? I feel like that would alleviate the problem.

Yes, the default privacy setting for the games list is "friends only".

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    the real solution here is for Steam and other retailers to just post sales figures

Shorty on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the real solution here is for Steam and other retailers to just post sales figures

accountability to the public?

sounds like some commie shit

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Maddoc wrote: »
    That's why it's super important that blind box and gacha games ought to have rates listed

Probabilities and randomness should be maintained, served, and assayed by a regulatory agency. Since that's not going to happen, they should give us the math.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

seems a touch glitchy.

Take it and run, you're free.

Freeeeeeeeeeee

I still have two bosses left!

both of whom I took one look at and just started laughing.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    This came across my twitter feed this morning

Looks kind of cool. Boat action game. Looks a little faster than the Assassin's Creed style boats.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Square Enix actually went and fixed the Chrono Trigger port that came to Steam earlier this year.

https://kotaku.com/chrono-trigger-pc-looks-way-better-now-1825171895

They fixed the graphics issues and redid the UI so it no longer looks like touchscreen garbage.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I should get some work done...

Or maybe I should just sit here and watch all these Alpha Centauri technology advancement videos.

• Options
    BG1 has really clicked now and I’m having fun. Should I replace Edwin with Baeloth? I don’t need two mages really. Baeloth doesn’t have Sleep, the uber spell though.

Also is there a quick place to grind xp? That way if I leave someone behind I know I can change my mind

This discussion has been closed.