As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

1106107108110112

Posts

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Insight is like "how much of this bullshit world is real and how much isn't" right? Except I'm not sure if more insight is supposed to suggest that the madness is more real than things just being quiet and inert. So like the inverse of what I think of actual insight.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • QanamilQanamil life cheated us all and i'm full of angst Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Insight is like "how much of this bullshit world is real and how much isn't" right? Except I'm not sure if more insight is supposed to suggest that the madness is more real than things just being quiet and inert. So like the inverse of what I think of actual insight.

    It's something that you should just let build up unless the stuff you can buy with it is particularly appealing.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    You can pvp for more, right?

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    You can pvp for more, right?

    Yes, but you also get insight from bosses, and drops in the world can be used for some (Madman's Knowledge)

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    I really like that Code Vein doesn't really penalized you for dying other than dropping your Haze or whatever they call it. It makes it way less frustrating when you die because you know you'll be heading back there anyway to retry.

    I just wish everything else about the game wasn't so... mediocre. The environments are awful. There are like 5 total mobs they just change color based on where you are.

  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    urahonky wrote: »
    I really like that Code Vein doesn't really penalized you for dying other than dropping your Haze or whatever they call it. It makes it way less frustrating when you die because you know you'll be heading back there anyway to retry.

    I just wish everything else about the game wasn't so... mediocre. The environments are awful. There are like 5 total mobs they just change color based on where you are.

    I don't really get what's wrong with Code Vein environments, but it's definitely a criticism I see a lot. I always play these games even the first time through with a marked-up map at hand, though, and honestly I just sorta...don't care about interesting maps, I guess, as long as I'm not getting lost in samey corridors (cough cough Surge 1). I also really enjoy the way the map works, though I guess that's not really about the environment itself.

    The limited enemies one is interesting to me, since it's limited relative to a Souls...but one of the big reasons I like Code Vein more than other Soulslikes is because it actually has some enemy variety, unlike The Surge and The Surge 2 or Nioh 1 (2 is much improved in that area). Since using your relatively limited moveset to engage a wide variety of challengers is a large part of Dark Souls' combat's appeal for me.

    Kamar on
    Kalnaur
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Bloodborne's focus on primarily close quarters combat has meant I'm playing the game with one arm tied behind my back up to the point I'm at (the forest with the snake freaks), because all the play methods I used in the Dark Souls games were about defensive, long range play and heavier, staggering attacks against low amounts of enemies that could be pulled or killed in sword and board style play. In Bloodborne, that's asking for a quick trip back to the lantern.

    It's technically tied as my third Souls title, as I started Dark Souls 3 around the same time. I have yet to get back to and finish either, though. It's hard to find time to do so. Still, between the two I still feel more proficient with Dark Souls style play; I'm very not good at high-risk close quarters play without instantly panicking (and usually trying to get distance as soon as I get hit as well).

    One thing that took me a while to learn is that almost every boss (and a good number of regular enemies as well) have attacks that are designed specifically to punish you for dodging away from the boss. Once I got into the habit of panic rolling to the side or even into the enemy things got a good bit easier.

    It just takes time to get used to the notion that Bloodborne wants you to go in. Get hit? Go in. Swing your weapon, rally some health back. Always be going in. Some of the strongest attacks on certain weapons are the dodge -> attack moves.

    Yeah, that's what's got me. In the "fight or flight" experience, even in games, flight will always take immediate precedence.

    It doesn't help that if I'm not locked on I can't see what I'm swinging at and will miss 9 times out of 10, and apparently the locked on dodge is slower from what I've heard? If I'm not locked on, the likelihood that I'm dodging in the correct direction is basically nil.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah the map is a godsend. If there was no map with your walked path there's absolutely no way I'd find my way around any of these environments. But that's kind of the problem. Everything looks too similar.

    I didn't get very far into the Surge and never played Surge 2 or Nioh 1/2 so I can't comment on that. But the monsters kind of feel like the monsters in Metal Gear Survive where they aren't all that interesting to look at. The bosses are unique though, which is okay, but overall it just feels... Average.

    Qanamil
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Surge 2 is... close to being a decent Soulslike game. Nowhere near the atmosphere of the Soulsborne games, the story is really bland generic scifi, enemies have yawn design, the bosses are entirely meh, and what looks like a bunch of weapons is just a few movesets with palette-swapped weapons. I really don't like that you're kinda forced to commit to gear sets because otherwise you won't get any kind of gear bonus, but they at least will give you a partial bonus for an incomplete set. But that partial set bonus is 3 of 5 items, so you can never mix and match partial set bonuses.

    It does have some decent ideas. Being able to target an enemy limb for a part you want is good. It's also a counter-heavy game and bothers to give you clear indicators for how and where to counter (specific attack directions require specific counters).

    Definitely nowhere near worth the $40 price tag it always runs with, I wouldn't pay more than twenty for it, if that much. And the first Surge is even more simple and less developed, so I wouldn't even bother with that one.

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think Surge was a PS+ game and I tried it out... Loved the idea of targeting specific limbs. That's a cool idea.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This is the first time I’m legitimately enjoying Bloodborne and I’m really loving it.

    I think Dark Souls 3 was a good gateway game to get me to stop thinking in a turtlesouls kind of way and instead thing of it as aggressivesouls.

    I’m so used to sitting back with L1 (shield raised) almost perma-pressed. You can’t really do that in Bloodborne. I AM A PARRY GOD.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
    cB557
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's why I was enjoying it too. BB forces you to remove that turtle shell. You have to be aggressive and smart with your attacks. I like that... feels different from Dark Souls because I'm almost always "SHIELDS UP!" when I walk around in that game.

    Drez
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    This is the first time I’m legitimately enjoying Bloodborne and I’m really loving it.

    I think Dark Souls 3 was a good gateway game to get me to stop thinking in a turtlesouls kind of way and instead thing of it as aggressivesouls.

    I’m so used to sitting back with L1 (shield raised) almost perma-pressed. You can’t really do that in Bloodborne. I AM A PARRY GOD.

    For whatever reason, the devs expressed a major distaste for defensive play which is why the Soulsborne games get less and less rewarding for turtling as you go through the progression of them. Bloodborne was a big jump in that there is no defensive play; the one single shield in the game is a joke shield. Which is also why taking damage can be mitigated by quickly dealing damage back, as the devs wanted to encourage aggressive gameplay.

    I parry very little in Bloodborne myself because I utterly, utterly hate the lag on it (it takes frames to pull the pistol and it takes frames for the shot to travel to the target, plus you actually have to stock up on bullets or use health to make them); combined with the fact that basically every enemy has a much larger reach than you, I generally find it much faster and more reliable to just skip the parrying and go right to the killing. Otherwise, I just get irritated at how much the timing on parrying varies even against the same enemy because they might be standing a couple feet closer or further.

    Drez
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    This is the first time I’m legitimately enjoying Bloodborne and I’m really loving it.

    I think Dark Souls 3 was a good gateway game to get me to stop thinking in a turtlesouls kind of way and instead thing of it as aggressivesouls.

    I’m so used to sitting back with L1 (shield raised) almost perma-pressed. You can’t really do that in Bloodborne. I AM A PARRY GOD.

    For whatever reason, the devs expressed a major distaste for defensive play which is why the Soulsborne games get less and less rewarding for turtling as you go through the progression of them. Bloodborne was a big jump in that there is no defensive play; the one single shield in the game is a joke shield. Which is also why taking damage can be mitigated by quickly dealing damage back, as the devs wanted to encourage aggressive gameplay.

    I parry very little in Bloodborne myself because I utterly, utterly hate the lag on it (it takes frames to pull the pistol and it takes frames for the shot to travel to the target, plus you actually have to stock up on bullets or use health to make them); combined with the fact that basically every enemy has a much larger reach than you, I generally find it much faster and more reliable to just skip the parrying and go right to the killing. Otherwise, I just get irritated at how much the timing on parrying varies even against the same enemy because they might be standing a couple feet closer or further.

    there are a lot of weapons with larger reaches than the enemies do (2h axe, threaded cane transformed, transformed rifle spear R2 attack, to name a few), and the trick with parrying is do not try it if the enemy is physically on top of your character model. the parry window extends outside the pistol/rifle model itself, so if the enemy is that close you will not be able to parry. it mostly comes down to learning the timing of it/practicing it and when the animation of that particular enemy you're trying to parry is actually in a parryable state/window, if its parryable at all.

    the wooden shield is actually fucking godlike in pvp, as you can use it to block enemy hunters' bullet spam for very little stamina lost, and the DLC shield is also good for arcane tool spam blocking as well.

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    Drez
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    @Kalnaur there's one ranged weapon in the DLC you could speedrun to if that's more your style. If you can get to the DLC I don't think there's a boss in the way. You should be able to get the two good ranged spells by where you are, too.

    uyvfOQy.png
    twotimesadingo
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 7
    Reynolds wrote: »
    @Kalnaur there's one ranged weapon in the DLC you could speedrun to if that's more your style. If you can get to the DLC I don't think there's a boss in the way. You should be able to get the two good ranged spells by where you are, too.

    Really I just need to knuckle down and go grab some of the arcane tools since I've been building mainly towards Arcane for my entire build. I just need the time (I have none, both the kid and the PS4 are almost always in the livingroom) and a guide to look through to find what I can grab other than the bone that was back in "that place". I'm in the Forbidden Woods, so I might also have Beast Roar, but I need some magic shit that will actually attack from range, not just a simple push move and a swift dodge.

    Edit: that whistle will be harder to get considering I don't have (nor want) co-op play. Apparently they really wanted to force people to pay for PS+ instead of presenting alternate ways of getting the multiplayer items in this one . . .

    Edit's Edit: Yes I know I can just kill the NPC to kill the other NPC to get the whistle, but I prefer not murdering NPCs if I can help it at all. Bosses? Kill 'em all. NPCs? Protect at all costs (unless they're murdering fuckers in disguise, then they die too).

    Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    @Kalnaur there's one ranged weapon in the DLC you could speedrun to if that's more your style. If you can get to the DLC I don't think there's a boss in the way. You should be able to get the two good ranged spells by where you are, too.

    Really I just need to knuckle down and go grab some of the arcane tools since I've been building mainly towards Arcane for my entire build. I just need the time (I have none, both the kid and the PS4 are almost always in the livingroom) and a guide to look through to find what I can grab other than the bone that was back in "that place". I'm in the Forbidden Woods, so I might also have Beast Roar, but I need some magic shit that will actually attack from range, not just a simple push move and a swift dodge.

    You can get access to Augur of Ebrietas and Executioner's Gloves at least (not counting DLC tools) then, which are both good damage now.
    Gloves are in Cainhurst, Augur in Lecture Building (can get there by being grabbed by the Amygalada in the side cathedral down from the other path from the Grand Cathedral, need the tonsil stone from talking to Patches)

    Whistle scales off Bloodtinge, not Arcane.

    Naphtali on
    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    ReynoldsKamarKalnaurtwotimesadingo
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    Bloodborne's issue isn't that it runs at 30fps, it's because the frame pacing is so bad, that the 30fps feels like 20fps.

    This issue is still present when playing on a PS5 which means it's something with just how the game was programmed.

    Satsumomo on
    ElendilButters
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Ohh that explains it. Some 30fps Switch games run smoother.

    Butters
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Well RIP Greirat, I let him loose too soon the second time, before I met the jolly fellow.

    But I got the big chaos fire orb and that thing mocks a lot of enemies.

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And if you ever drop to 0, you lose the ability to talk to the doll until you get it back to at least 1, so keep that in mind.

    Note that you can still level up, you just can't talk.

    Oh, didn't actually know that!

    You can actually kill her and still level up from her corpse....


    I uh....I just realised me knowing this leads to questions...

    Nah, I've seen enough speed run videos that do exactly this.

    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
    Satsumomo
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Well RIP Greirat, I let him loose too soon the second time, before I met the jolly fellow.

    But I got the big chaos fire orb and that thing mocks a lot of enemies.

    Is he actually dead yet? I think as long as Ziggy is in the kitchen when you beat Pontiff (or some other boss, apparently), you should be OK. I’m not sure it matters when you mean him as long as you can get him to the kitchens.

    I think the trigger is defeating a boss after you tell Greirat to go scavenge in Irithyll so as long as you get Ziggy to the Irithyll kitchens before you do that you should be OK.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And if you ever drop to 0, you lose the ability to talk to the doll until you get it back to at least 1, so keep that in mind.

    Note that you can still level up, you just can't talk.

    Oh, didn't actually know that!

    You can actually kill her and still level up from her corpse....


    I uh....I just realised me knowing this leads to questions...

    Nah, I've seen enough speed run videos that do exactly this.

    Why? Just to shave seconds off from her dialogue?

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
    ElJeffeMorninglord
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    Kamar on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    Ah I see. That makes sense.

    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Never pre-order anything. Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And if you ever drop to 0, you lose the ability to talk to the doll until you get it back to at least 1, so keep that in mind.

    Note that you can still level up, you just can't talk.

    Oh, didn't actually know that!

    You can actually kill her and still level up from her corpse....


    I uh....I just realised me knowing this leads to questions...

    Nah, I've seen enough speed run videos that do exactly this.

    Why? Just to shave seconds off from her dialogue?

    Yes.

    Speed runs.

    npgf5tyafjv0.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    . . . Cheatsssss? Tells us about . . . cheatssssss?

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    . . . Cheatsssss? Tells us about . . . cheatssssss?

    look up "false depth chalices"

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    urahonky wrote: »
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

    You miss them in that you choose whether you get the
    code for saving an heir (collect and view their memories before fighting them, interact with their statue before you leave) vs. the code for not saving them. You have to do NG+ to have all of the codes for that reason.

    Kamar on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    . . . Cheatsssss? Tells us about . . . cheatssssss?

    look up "false depth chalices"
    • This method only works for online players.

    Well damn.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

    You miss them in that you choose whether you get the
    code for saving an heir (collect and view their memories before fighting them, interact with their statue before you leave) vs. the code for not saving them. You have to do NG+ to have all of the codes for that reason.

    Gotcha. I must have missed all of that. I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where I never interacted with the statue and also never got all of the memories because generally I'm done with an area by the time I make it to a boss. It's just a shame because I would love to have the Frost Weapon gift but now that's gone. I doubt I'll do a NG+ on this game.

  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

    You miss them in that you choose whether you get the
    code for saving an heir (collect and view their memories before fighting them, interact with their statue before you leave) vs. the code for not saving them. You have to do NG+ to have all of the codes for that reason.

    Gotcha. I must have missed all of that. I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where I never interacted with the statue and also never got all of the memories because generally I'm done with an area by the time I make it to a boss. It's just a shame because I would love to have the Frost Weapon gift but now that's gone. I doubt I'll do a NG+ on this game.

    Ah. So you know in case you ever replay it, that's also what determines your ending: save none, worst ending (and you don't fight the real final boss); save at least one, middle ending; save them all, good ending; save them all and finish all of Io's memories, best ending which is the good ending with like 3 seconds of extra footage.

    edit: For bullshit, one of the achievements is to see all four endings...on a single character.

    Kamar on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

    You miss them in that you choose whether you get the
    code for saving an heir (collect and view their memories before fighting them, interact with their statue before you leave) vs. the code for not saving them. You have to do NG+ to have all of the codes for that reason.

    Gotcha. I must have missed all of that. I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where I never interacted with the statue and also never got all of the memories because generally I'm done with an area by the time I make it to a boss. It's just a shame because I would love to have the Frost Weapon gift but now that's gone. I doubt I'll do a NG+ on this game.

    Ah. So you know in case you ever replay it, that's also what determines your ending: save none, worst ending (and you don't fight the real final boss); save at least one, middle ending; save them all, good ending; save them all and finish all of Io's memories, best ending which is the good ending with like 3 seconds of extra footage.

    edit: For bullshit, one of the achievements is to see all four endings...on a single character.

    How would one do that, 3 new-game+ runs?

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

    Kamar
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

    You miss them in that you choose whether you get the
    code for saving an heir (collect and view their memories before fighting them, interact with their statue before you leave) vs. the code for not saving them. You have to do NG+ to have all of the codes for that reason.

    Gotcha. I must have missed all of that. I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where I never interacted with the statue and also never got all of the memories because generally I'm done with an area by the time I make it to a boss. It's just a shame because I would love to have the Frost Weapon gift but now that's gone. I doubt I'll do a NG+ on this game.

    Ah. So you know in case you ever replay it, that's also what determines your ending: save none, worst ending (and you don't fight the real final boss); save at least one, middle ending; save them all, good ending; save them all and finish all of Io's memories, best ending which is the good ending with like 3 seconds of extra footage.

    edit: For bullshit, one of the achievements is to see all four endings...on a single character.

    How would one do that, 3 new-game+ runs?

    Yup.

    edit: Two might be enough? You can do bad ending in one, middle ending in the second, good ending in the third, then I think you can load the good ending file without going to NG+ and finish Io's stuff before finishing it again to get the best ending.

    Kamar on
    Kalnaur
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    . . . Cheatsssss? Tells us about . . . cheatssssss?

    One particular glyph I found (this is seriously game breaking if you want it to be so don’t eat the fruit of knowledge contained within this spoiler lest you are prepared):
    Grants you ~80,000 blood echoes in 10-20 seconds. And it’s infinitely repeatable. You don’t have to fight anything, just walk into the next room. Also, it only requires you to have the first chalice from beating the Blood Starved Beast.

    I don’t want to break the game or trivialize it cheat too much but I loathe farming bullets and blood vials so I got just enough blood echoes to max out my inventory and storage of each (via purchases). I also bought a bunch of bold Hunter marks because I hate not being able to refresh an area without going back to the hunter’s dream.

    If you really want the glyph code, message me and I’ll send it to you.

    Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238
    Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Playing: Persona 5 Royal (PS4), Animal Crossing (SW), FF7remake (PS4)
    KalnaurKamarButters
  • QanamilQanamil life cheated us all and i'm full of angst Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    TIL you can miss out on Blood Codes in Code Vein. That's just super.

    You miss them in that you choose whether you get the
    code for saving an heir (collect and view their memories before fighting them, interact with their statue before you leave) vs. the code for not saving them. You have to do NG+ to have all of the codes for that reason.

    Gotcha. I must have missed all of that. I'm pretty sure there have been a few times where I never interacted with the statue and also never got all of the memories because generally I'm done with an area by the time I make it to a boss. It's just a shame because I would love to have the Frost Weapon gift but now that's gone. I doubt I'll do a NG+ on this game.

    Ah. So you know in case you ever replay it, that's also what determines your ending: save none, worst ending (and you don't fight the real final boss); save at least one, middle ending; save them all, good ending; save them all and finish all of Io's memories, best ending which is the good ending with like 3 seconds of extra footage.

    edit: For bullshit, one of the achievements is to see all four endings...on a single character.

    How would one do that, 3 new-game+ runs?

    Yup.

    edit: Two might be enough? You can do bad ending in one, middle ending in the second, good ending in the third, then I think you can load the good ending file without going to NG+ and finish Io's stuff before finishing it again to get the best ending.

    Yeah, it's super fast to do 3 runs, too.

    Getting 400 marks of honor from multiplayer is the real grind.

  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I...removed the need to farm quicksilver bullets and blood vials now because I thought that was dumb.

    Some of these chalice dungeons feel like a flat out cheat to me but if it means I can remove a pointlessly annoying aspect of the game, so be it.

    That's likely because they are cheats, I'd wager you're going into the edited dungeons that have higher level/more convenient contents than they should based on what you've actually unlocked through your own chalice dungeon progression.

    I still use them myself (for consumable farms, gems, and late-game weapons I want to do full runs with), but yeah.

    Not exactly, IIRC, the "story" depth 3 dungeons have a section where you fight a bunch of small beasts right at the start and it nets you about 67K echoes each run. The depth 4 is even better. They definitely give way more echoes than similarly difficult areas of the main game. I never played any online chalices, only the "story" ones.

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Fire/Ice duo down and Mido down in Code Vein. Even though it was a duo fight it wasn't too bad. They killed me the first time because I was unprepared for a Fire/Ice boss. But I ended up getting them. Mido also killed me the first time but I got him the second time.

    Kamar
Sign In or Register to comment.