As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fromsoft has a distinctive artstyle.

This becomes incredibly clear when you see the Demon's Souls remake and realize it looks NOTHING like a Fromsoft game.

Their art style is raggedy and everything looks jagged and rough or wet and gross. Shit looks used up, decayed, and also intricate and ornate as fuck.

I want to see that translated into rainbows and teddy bears so bad.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    From's output is overwhelmingly not Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Those games have a distinctive artstyle, the company does not.

They made this just a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rG_B_NL6ZE

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    From's output is overwhelmingly not Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Those games have a distinctive artstyle, the company does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rG_B_NL6ZE

I dunno that's pretty god damned horrifying

• Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    i dunno what's going on but with pupils that big I can only guess those cats are all on acid.

i just wanna fight a giant colossus that is made of the various parts of teletubbies, carebears and pokemon.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    1dfwc2nlqhx0.jpg
    The Adventures of Cookie & Cream - Gameplay PS2 HD 720P 9:39
    https://youtu.be/GMr8mwr_UbM

edit: In other news

How to Beat Dark Souls 2 without Talking 52:36
    https://youtu.be/3zD7rBcgduw

Peas on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Here's another Cookie & Cream playthrough if you want to see people break down in real time

• Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I question if a PS1 could actually handle that, I guess?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

If it could handle Tenchu, probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbuXFZS1eE

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

FROM Software has 3 main claims to fame: King's Field, Armored Core, and Souls They also made a handful self-owned one-offs, and are well-trusted in the JP game industry to develop games for other IP holders as a dev-for-hire.

Among their self-owned stuff, the Dark Souls art style had a lot in common with Armored Core: intricate, well-worn functional metal and structures. Armored Core even did gross when it came to escaped bio-lab specimens. (Their storytelling styles, controls, and number-heavy systems were extremely similar too). Can't speak to King's Field as I didn't play them. Also barely played their one-offs like Eternal Ring, Metal Wolf Chaos, Frame Glide, etc.

Those Monster Hunter: Felyne Village games are contract work following Capcom's existing aesthetic, not FROM's own, so while they're quite capable of following art direction from other companies, it's not one of their house styles.

I don't know that "well-worn ornate post-apocalypse" is their only house aesthetic, but it's been their aesthetic for 2 of their 3 big-name series and over 20 years. Presuming they exist, going to have to dig deeper for other FROM-owned games that use a different look.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Nah not at all, it's just trying to evoke that era's aesthetic rather than be faithful to the real hardware limitations.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    IceBurner wrote: »

FROM Software has 3 main claims to fame: King's Field, Armored Core, and Souls They also made a handful self-owned one-offs, and are well-trusted in the JP game industry to develop games for other IP holders as a dev-for-hire.

Among their self-owned stuff, the Dark Souls art style had a lot in common with Armored Core: intricate, well-worn functional metal and structures. Armored Core even did gross when it came to escaped bio-lab specimens. (Their storytelling styles, controls, and number-heavy systems were extremely similar too). Can't speak to King's Field as I didn't play them. Also barely played their one-offs like Eternal Ring, Metal Wolf Chaos, Frame Glide, etc.

Those Monster Hunter: Felyne Village games are contract work following Capcom's existing aesthetic, not FROM's own, so while they're quite capable of following art direction from other companies, it's not one of their house styles.

I don't know that "well-worn ornate post-apocalypse" is their only house aesthetic, but it's been their aesthetic for 2 of their 3 big-name series and over 20 years. Presuming they exist, going to have to dig deeper for other FROM-owned games that use a different look.

You are right that there is aesthetic DNA shared with the armored core games, the influence of the king's field games is much more direct and obvious. Look up an LP of the last king's field game (king's field: the lost city in the english release) and it looks, feels, and to some degree plays like a proto-demon's souls. Just without the good action combat yet.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I played the last King's Field just for fun, just to see, and the first NPC you run into is a depressed guy sitting in the starting area, talking about how pointless everything is.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

You are right that there is aesthetic DNA shared with the armored core games, the influence of the king's field games is much more direct and obvious. Look up an LP of the last king's field game (king's field: the lost city in the english release) and it looks, feels, and to some degree plays like a proto-demon's souls. Just without the good action combat yet.

Also it has the MLGS

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    They also, uh, did eleven Tenchu games so that definitely deserves a mention.

edit: Oh wait they only published them. They only made one.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    They made two, one in 2008 and one in 2019.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

This reminds me of Nightmare Creatures, except with better color, light and framerate.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options

Also it has the MLGS

"Armored core, or king's field?"
    "Yes"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    The best camera trick in all of Dark Souls 0:47
    https://youtu.be/lV_9wQWWLjc

I love this stuff.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Drez wrote: »
    I love this stuff.
    Some conjecture here on why they might have done this:

By shrinking the world around him instead, they didn't have to create higher-res textures for normal Ornstein to avoid blurring with being scaled up.

If both versions of the boss are the same model, then I believe it was just to avoid blurry textures with the camera in so close for a watermark scene.

If they're separate models, then we have the question: why not start with a shrunken Super Ornstein that scales back up? What makes sense to me would be time savings. Regular Ornstein was already featured in the duo boss intro, so that model is already rigged for scenes by necessity. The back half of Dark Souls suffered an obvious time crunch, so reusing existing animation rig work could amount to a solid time savings.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That puts me in mind of the ancient Shadows of the Empire which had a large flooded level and player has to pump the water out to progress. Something about the water made it extremely difficult to move, so instead they just moved the entire level upwards out of the water.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I love this stuff.

By shrinking the world around him instead, they didn't have to create higher-res textures for normal Ornstein to avoid blurring with being scaled up.

If both versions of the boss are the same model, then I believe it was just to avoid blurry textures with the camera in so close for a watermark scene.

If they're separate models, then we have the question: why not start with a shrunken Super Ornstein that scales back up? What makes sense to me would be time savings. Regular Ornstein was already featured in the duo boss intro, so that model is already rigged for scenes by necessity. The back half of Dark Souls suffered an obvious time crunch, so reusing existing animation rig work could amount to a solid time savings.

My thoughts were that it might have had something to do with the rigging on Ornstein. Scaling him up might have potentially messed with that or been tricky to do. So better to just scale down the things that are static.

Another guess would be the fire effect around him might have behaved or looked weird if it had been scaled up.

My last thought is that From Software has a weird sense of humor and they thought it was funny.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I love the fact the MLGS is also in Ninja Blade, which came out with Demon's Souls

cmz9s1vwlneb.jpg

I also love the fact Iron Pineapple recorded the segment with the MLGS in a clown suit

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Apostate wrote: »
    I love this stuff.

My thoughts were that it might have had something to do with the rigging on Ornstein. Scaling him up might have potentially messed with that or been tricky to do. So better to just scale down the things that are static.

Another guess would be the fire effect around him might have behaved or looked weird if it had been scaled up.

My last thought is that From Software has a weird sense of humor and they thought it was funny.

something with the particle effect not scaling nicely is my guess out of those options, scaling the rigging and textures should be a non-issue unless the dark souls engine is programmed really unusually. For example, it doesn't screw up the textures on the rest of the room and Smough's corpse when they shrink.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I jumped back into my first BB playthrough and thought hard about platinum.

It turns out I'm 1 weapon away from old hunter essence trophy. That's in the research hall, and I'm at the start of NG+.

I'm also halfway through the very last Chalice (I started that today) so that's another trophy.

After that I just need two endings I never take (cos why would I not fight more bosses?).

I reckon I could do this thing.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    It's the one Platinum I got. Back up and reload your save to avoid having to beat the game again.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I have a few characters. It'll give me an excuse to finish the game with the others.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Maybe they use regular Ornstein for the cutscene so they can use the model they already have loaded in.

• Options
    It would probably be the same model either way, it doesn't appear to change aside from the size, and scaling models is usually trivial in 3d engines.

Again I would guess it's either the particle system for the gold glow on ornstein looking weird if it gets scaled or being unable to as trivially change size as the model; or it could just be arbitrary, since in the end one object growing larger or everything but that object growing smaller are the same if you have no other reference points.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Little did we know, FromSoft development methods were the Dark Souls of.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Doing a DS2 run (yes I am going through the games to try and slake my thirst for Elden Ring) I remembered why I never used great weapons in it.

The aiming sucks

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    It would probably be the same model either way, it doesn't appear to change aside from the size, and scaling models is usually trivial in 3d engines.

My guess is a floating point rounding issue. They shrink to keep everything closer to 0.0 and preserve the highest range of precision.

Maybe when the model scaled up they noticed Z fighting in certain places.

• Options
    Doing a DS2 run (yes I am going through the games to try and slake my thirst for Elden Ring) I remembered why I never used great weapons in it.

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

• Options

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

The fact that focus/targeting does not determine where a great weapon will hit is a gameplay style I just cannot abide

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Bloodborne Cut Content - Mergo's Wet Nurse Original Concept Cutscenes - All Unreleased Versions 8:10
    https://youtu.be/cuXKv5qqgtM

I didn't know that the Wet Nurse was supposed to be a succubus

Peas on
  • Options
    edited July 2021

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

The fact that focus/targeting does not determine where a great weapon will hit is a gameplay style I just cannot abide

Hmmm? Leave the movement stick neutral when you attack. It will aim automatically like normal weapons with lockon. The aiming is a manual choice by holding the left stick in a direction when you press attack.

It's a learning curve, but doesn't take too long. You don't need to be moving when you attack after all.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

certain weapons have certain tolerances

i like one-handed great axes with vertical swings as they can be manually aimed almost in a full circle

some of the vertical hit greatswords can't be manually aimed outside of about a 45 degree angle and they feel kinda shit to play

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

certain weapons have certain tolerances

i like one-handed great axes with vertical swings as they can be manually aimed almost in a full circle

some of the vertical hit greatswords can't be manually aimed outside of about a 45 degree angle and they feel kinda shit to play

I don’t like the manual aim. I use the lock on to pick my targets in DS2 and my movement to get them in place and missing a shot because I was moving back and to the left feels really bad.

This discussion has been closed.