As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Any particular trick to cutting off Seath's tail or do I just have to chase it and hope he lets me hit it?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Any particular trick to cutting off Seath's tail or do I just have to chase it and hope he lets me hit it?

Going solo it's mostly a matter of keeping him in the middle of the room so you can actually get around his fat ass to the tail when he goes into an attack and stops spinning to face you. Also the sever point is a fair ways down the tail, you don't wanna be right on his ass.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

it's stupid bullshit

the best time is right at beginning, make him break the crystal and hopefully you can run back and hit it

if not

well get ready to get fucked

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Less of a pain than Kalameet at least.
    Though I suppose Kalameet is entirely optional, you need Seath's tail for Knight's Honor.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    I am on my NG+ already, going to get the final miracles from Rhea and then I will only need one covenant, one ending, and a few final upgrade paths to get my platinum. I will have to finish NG++ though to get the final boss weapons.

wait, finish NG++ for the boss weapons? All you need to do is tag Sif then get your butt to the giant blacksmith, they're the only tri-use soul.

Yeah I know, not sure why I said that. This will be my 3rd time getting 100% in this game, once in 360, PS3, and now PS4.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

it's stupid bullshit

the best time is right at beginning, make him break the crystal and hopefully you can run back and hit it

if not

Well, between this and the wiki's suggestion to use great combustion that went pretty quickly. When you're not trying to hit his tail, Seath's moveset isn't too impressive, huh?

• Options

it's stupid bullshit

if not

Well, between this and the wiki's suggestion to use great combustion that went pretty quickly. When you're not trying to hit his tail, Seath's moveset isn't too impressive, huh?
    seath is a joke when you're not trying to cut the tail

but his ability to spin like a turbine and his ridiculously overpowered tail flail makes him miserable to get the moonlight out of him

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I got into a fight with my brother last night.

He's adamantly convinced that the remaster removed a bonfire in Anor londo.

The bonfire he's thinking about is the one in the Darkmoon Covenant room. He's convinced there was a second bonfire downstairs on the rotating stairway

• Options
    That seems silly to fight over, just look at the wiki or any let's play or the original strategy guide.

• Options
    Zunde wrote: »

The bonfire he's thinking about is the one in the Darkmoon Covenant room. He's convinced there was a second bonfire downstairs on the rotating stairway

Well I mean the Vamos bonfire had to come from SOMEWHERE.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »

Back when messages were still working there were like 4 saying variations on "bonfire here!" at the bottom of the elevator in the spinning tower, right before the steps leading up to the stone guardians and blacksmith shortcut. I know that's not a thing in the Prepare to Die version at the very least, but maybe it's there in DS3.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    i'm a little confused as to the geography here

darkmoon tomb is at the bottom of the rotating elevator, and there should be a bonfire there
    in the original, anor londo gets weird if you kill gwynevere and will only ever respawn you at the first bonfire, though it's still otherwise functional, including as a warp point

Elendil on
  • Options
    Erm, the middle then? I didn't know there was a further down / darkmoon was down there because I haven't seeked it out yet.

Anor Londo fire > run straight out to elevator > come out to stairs with stone guardians guarding the O&S hallway doors. Normal progression is to the right, giant blacksmith shortcut is to the left.

Anyway, there were a bunch of messages at the bottom of those stairs in the corner opposite the lever to reset the tower.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone got tips for a Greatsword build in DS2? I bought the game a while ago but I got distracted away from it not long into it.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    DS3:
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Erm, the middle then? I didn't know there was a further down / darkmoon was down there because I haven't seeked it out yet.

Anor Londo fire > run straight out to elevator > come out to stairs with stone guardians guarding the O&S hallway doors. Normal progression is to the right, giant blacksmith shortcut is to the left.

Anyway, there were a bunch of messages at the bottom of those stairs in the corner opposite the lever to reset the tower.

You return to Anor Londo in DS3, and there is a bonfire at the bottom of the stairs.

broken image link
  • Options
    Bed of Chaos might be the least fun thing I've ever done in a game ever.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bed of Chaos might be the least fun thing I've ever done in a game ever.

I really liked the idea of it.

The execution is not good at all, though

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, the idea is cool, but it was just so dang annoying.

And you're right about my geography being wonky, El, I was combining the elevator and the rotating towers into one thing without thinking.

Edit: just finished my first playthrough (ever, though seen most of the game played over the years). My single biggest complaint besides Bed of Chaos is that the back half for me felt super lonely with the messages being broken, especially after soooo many messages everywhere up till the change. A particular problem was having to go back or check ahead for secret walls, rather than being told where they were / hitting walls and putting down 'liar' notes.

I only messed up getting the miracles, so should be on track for the 2 games + Sif to get 100%

Qanamil on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

it's stupid bullshit

if not

seath is a joke when you're not trying to cut the tail

but his ability to spin like a turbine and his ridiculously overpowered tail flail makes him miserable to get the moonlight out of him

Still easier than low level Ludwig.

I've been doing a lot of invading in DSR, and my opinion of the pvp remains largely unchanged from my forays into it with PTDE. Build and weapon variety is the worst in the series, the ease of backstabbing (and a Hornet Ring you can get by killing next to nothing) turns fights with more than 2 opponents into a circus, and passive poise is a shitshow.

There's fun to be had thanks to the revitalized population, but it's more like the fun you have in playing a bad game in co-op with a friend; it's the shared misery.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    trust me i know a thing or two about low level ludwig

https://youtu.be/mpCAZwysBmM

Elendil on
  • Options
    those whips across the face at perfect distance tho

• Options
    those whips across the face at perfect distance tho
    i basically have one giant roided out phase one arm and one shriveled phase two arm

• Options
    man the lucerne is real good

i was doing meaty 200+ damage a hit on gaping dragon

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Solaire amiibo is up on Gamestop site for a little. I got an order for one through.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Hooray I got one too. I don't even own a switch I just want a little Solaire statue.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Just came back to Dark Souls III after a long stretch of nothing but Warframe and pinball, and I’m loving it. With a full set of Lothric Knight armor and the weight load to wear it without fat-rolling, I’m looking forward to the next boss shattering this sense of invulnerability.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    I posted in the other thread but I got my platinum in DS1 remaster a few days ago. It was a blast to revisit my favorite in the series at a butter smooth frame rate and working online. It course I got my strategy guide about an hour after I earned my platinum but I didn't really need it anyways. Just looks nice.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Looks like today's patch fixed player messages on PC.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I did finish my NG run in Remaster last night. I don't know if it's the 60 fps or something finally clicked or what, but I always used to really suck at parrying, and finally this run, I got half-decent at it. So I finally know exactly what people meant about Gwyn being a joke when you can parry, because he always used to give me trouble before.

Now I just need to do my NG+ and half of an NG+2 to finish getting the 100% achievements.

• Options
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I did finish my NG run in Remaster last night. I don't know if it's the 60 fps or something finally clicked or what, but I always used to really suck at parrying, and finally this run, I got half-decent at it. So I finally know exactly what people meant about Gwyn being a joke when you can parry, because he always used to give me trouble before.

Now I just need to do my NG+ and half of an NG+2 to finish getting the 100% achievements.

I'm dragging my feet in my NG+ run because I have 4 Kings and Bed of Chaos to do bleh

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I beat the Bell Gargoyle last night after not playing for a few days. The fight I won on, it just "clicked" and I smashed it.

Then after that I almost immediately found the Moonlight Butterfly because I had already done a lot of pre-exploring of Darkroot. So I basically just went from boss to boss.

Man this butterfly is a dumb fight. I haven't won yet, but it seems pretty easy unless there's a low-health phase change that I haven't seen yet. I just need to get better at dodging the wispy energy shots. But this fight is super annoying. I hate how long the dodge periods are between damage opportunities. It's just annoying.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I beat the Bell Gargoyle last night after not playing for a few days. The fight I won on, it just "clicked" and I smashed it.

Then after that I almost immediately found the Moonlight Butterfly because I had already done a lot of pre-exploring of Darkroot. So I basically just went from boss to boss.

Man this butterfly is a dumb fight. I haven't won yet, but it seems pretty easy unless there's a low-health phase change that I haven't seen yet. I just need to get better at dodging the wispy energy shots. But this fight is super annoying. I hate how long the dodge periods are between damage opportunities. It's just annoying.

If you summon the NPC phantom she can solo it for you.

• Options
    I don't know how to do that.

• Options
    1) Have some humanity (the number by your healthbar)
    2) Spend a humanity at the bonfire to stop looking like beef jerky.
    2.1) Be aware, in this state you can be invaded by other players.
    3) Head towards the boss fog.
    4) Underneath the steps up to the butterfly, there should be a glowy white sign hiding in some bushes. Poke it.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Ahh ok thanks for that. I've never once spent any humanity. I always lose that number. In fact, I did not know that number represented humanity. I often have wondered what the number was for, but since I keep losing it, it hasn't mattered. I had that number as high as 5 at one point before I lost it.

This is my first time playing Dark Souls 1. So I am unaware of a lot of the tricks, techniques, and general gameplay mechanics that exist. I'm sort of doing this the whole "beat your head against the wall" way.

In terms of experience with the Souls series, I have beaten Bloodborne's core game once. Never finished the chalice dungeons. Never finished the Old Hunters DLC because Ludwig crushed me. Dark Souls 2 I have played maybe 20% but I stopped for unknown reasons. I don't remember being stuck on a boss. I just stopped playing it. Dark Souls 3 I own, but I don't think I even completed one boss. Again, reasons unknown. Probably another game.

And this is my first experience with Dark Souls 1. So all of that history combined basically means I have no idea what I'm doing in the Souls games.

Edit: Also I'm playing in Offline Mode. If I activate a Humanity, will I still be invaded in offline mode?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Follow-up thought:

I still to this day do not understand why the multiplayer exists in this series, and additionally, I cannot even comprehend why people choose to participate in it. These games are balls-crushing hard as it is. I don't need real people with unpredictable intelligence and bastardly ways coming into my game and adding more heartache and frustration than already exists. I just simply do not get it. At all. Why would you willingly invite griefing into your game?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Ahh ok thanks for that. I've never once spent any humanity. I always lose that number. In fact, I did not know that number represented humanity. I often have wondered what the number was for, but since I keep losing it, it hasn't mattered. I had that number as high as 5 at one point before I lost it.

This is my first time playing Dark Souls 1. So I am unaware of a lot of the tricks, techniques, and general gameplay mechanics that exist. I'm sort of doing this the whole "beat your head against the wall" way.

In terms of experience with the Souls series, I have beaten Bloodborne's core game once. Never finished the chalice dungeons. Never finished the Old Hunters DLC because Ludwig crushed me. Dark Souls 2 I have played maybe 20% but I stopped for unknown reasons. I don't remember being stuck on a boss. I just stopped playing it. Dark Souls 3 I own, but I don't think I even completed one boss. Again, reasons unknown. Probably another game.

And this is my first experience with Dark Souls 1. So all of that history combined basically means I have no idea what I'm doing in the Souls games.

Edit: Also I'm playing in Offline Mode. If I activate a Humanity, will I still be invaded in offline mode?

There's some NPC invaders here and there that can still get you in offline mode, but not at the Butterfly.

• Options
    Follow-up thought:

I still to this day do not understand why the multiplayer exists in this series, and additionally, I cannot even comprehend why people choose to participate in it. These games are balls-crushing hard as it is. I don't need real people with unpredictable intelligence and bastardly ways coming into my game and adding more heartache and frustration than already exists. I just simply do not get it. At all. Why would you willingly invite griefing into your game?

The headache of invaders is more then made up for by jolly cooperation. For me at least.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Follow-up thought:

I played the 3 Souls games and Bloodborne with zero interest interference from other players, good or bad. But if you get players with good covenants, then they can help you beat tough bosses. And some people just like PvP fighting, so there's that angle as well. But I view the games as a challenge for me and not a playground for other people to fuck with me, so I also completely avoid getting invaded.

The setting itself is this multi-dimensional time-skewed monstrosity for the Souls games, which is the lore-based explanation. There's no telling actually how long these places have been in the states they're in, or how long your character is there with all the recursive deaths. I do like that the feature is there as it actually adds to the setting, but I'm also glad that I can avoid multiplayer with crippling the game.

• Options
    I mean, even the passive multiplayer stuff, such as the blood pools and the tip markers annoy me. They are too spoilery. I don't like seeing people's ghosts dancing around and getting killed. It ruins the surprise of what's around the next corner. If I see a ghost, I know I'm about to encounter an enemy or a trap. I don't want that surprise ruined. I'd rather eat a death and learn organically that there's a trap there than have the fun of the surprise ruined by the passive multiplayer of some rando's ghost.

This discussion has been closed.