As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    That looks like a completely different game. I guess this is for people that started with DS3 or something.

the combat, what little was shown, doesn't read like DS3 to me at all. Definitely in the DS1 wheelhouse.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I don't understand how they can make a mistake that big at a Sony event. Like...it baffles the mind. I kinda feel like there is a PC version in the works but they didn't intend to reveal it at that event. Oh well, if it never comes to PC I guess I just won't play it.

Same.

I'm not buying a console just for a couple of games, even if I really like From's stuff.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Rewatching it closely, other than the more involved critical animation and the camera change it looks like DeS. It's just the tutorial area recreated.

Feel will be more important to a full assessment, and honestly I'm not sure keeping it the same as DeS is a winning play.

Like, DeS has a weapon-based hyper-armor system with very few armored attacks (great axes and a one or two moves on other bigger weapons), and people didn't even like DS3's comparatively less limited hyperarmor/poise system, so.

Hope they jettison the carry weight limit, there's a reason DS1 dropped it and it never came back.

Etc.

Kamar on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If enemies don't ragdoll around like crazy, why even bother?

uyvfOQy.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the ripostes weren't changed that much

DeS just has better riposte animations

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    DeS was always smoother in a lot of ways. In Dark Souls 1 the player character was kinda nerfed into a more lumbering, awkward character, that uses weapons inexpertly.

In DeS you were playing a "hero" come in from the outside of Boletaria. He knew how to use weapons and attack.

Also while I probably wouldn't complain if they changed things to something better, the other part of me just wants them to keep everything the way it was, warts and all. It was part of its charm. World tendency, weight limits, hidden super armor mechanics on large weapons. Sure it'd probably be a better game if that stuff was gone or reworked.

It just wouldn't be Demon Souls.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm really hoping that the plan is to eventually release a PC version later, and Sony just wanted to down play that. I really don't want to buy a system for two exclusive games... looking at you PS4, aka the Bloodborne / God of War machine / dust farm.

edit: also
    n1m3796w5trp.jpg

DanHibiki on
    edited September 2020
    Finally started Surge 2. Feels great, environments are much improved over the first one.

Too bad they decided to make every single combat encounter reminescent of the worst parts of DS2 by making sure well over half of all encounters past a certain point are multi-pulls of melee guy and ranged guy, equally sturdy (sometimes ranged guy is melee guy once you attack him) so you can't rush down ranged guy. Better hope you have the ammo you need to delete one of them each time (you won't)!

Kamar on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I don’t know, by the time I got to gideon rock I had very little trouble just outright deleting humanoid ranged enemies with a single stamina bar?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing Hellpoint? Sounds like it's buggy but fun.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited September 2020
    I don’t know, by the time I got to gideon rock I had very little trouble just outright deleting humanoid ranged enemies with a single stamina bar?

Kill time feels a bit more reasonable a bit further in, yeah. I'm still not a fan of the deluge of enemies, almost always with one or more of them ranged, though at least at Gideon Rock the ranged hits aren't gibbing me when they hit me.

As I said in the SE+ Dark Souls thread, I think this is going to end up a Dark Souls 2 experience for me even moreso than the first game: I'll dislike or even hate portions of it the first time through, but familiarity with the weirdo fucky bosses and some of the other meaner encounters will make it replay a lot better.

Kamar on
    Most of the time you can do single pulls if you are careful, or can separate the enemies, though there are definitely a few forced 2 or 3 pulls. I felt honestly like surge 2 was better in a lot of ways than a lot of soulslike games on this. Also if you run into red number enemies you probably need to grind a bit, there were a few places where I ran into this, I was underleveled a bit and the difficulty just spikes up.

The part where you are going after Little Johnny is definitely a spike in difficulty compared to before and after, though.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Do they still have that electromagnet ability for your drone in 2? That was a great way to make sure that you were fighting just this one dude.

edited September 2020
    I don’t think so, there is one that knocksdown, one that stuns but it doesn’t last long, and one that does something like force pull from fallen order from what I have seen.

I haven’t really been focusing too much on drones so far though, been mainly just doing a lot of melee with spears and staffs.

Jealous Deva on
    and one that does something like force pull from fallen order from what I have seen.
    Like, it pulls a target over to you from a long distance, and deals a slight stagger to them? Because that's what the electromagnet did.

cB557 wrote: »
    and one that does something like force pull from fallen order from what I have seen.
    Like, it pulls a target over to you from a long distance, and deals a slight stagger to them? Because that's what the electromagnet did.

Yeah that is in then. I think you buy it off a vendor later in the game?

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I restarted Sekiro because I don't remember what I was doing from last year, and I'm a masochist. I one shot the horse boss, and am at the drunken general in Hikata. Snek stealth area was equally as tense as the first time.

I figured it would be Bloodborne by a landslide.

There's a reason 20's considered a high investment in stamina in BB.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

i can't watch it atm but i would not be surprised at all if DS3 rolls are cheaper

bloodborne weapons tend to be easier on stamina. big weapons are astronomically expensive to swing in DS

Elendil wrote: »

i can't watch it atm but i would not be surprised at all if DS3 rolls are cheaper

bloodborne weapons tend to be easier on stamina. big weapons are astronomically expensive to swing in DS

Ah, my phrasing was ambiguous.

I figured it would be Bloodborne by a landslide and wasn't surprised by the outcome. More than double DS3s, which was half-again more than the others.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Ah, my phrasing was ambiguous.

I figured it would be Bloodborne by a landslide and wasn't surprised by the outcome. More than double DS3s, which was half-again more than the others.

26 BB, 11 DS3, 8 DeS, 7 DS2 and DS.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Im a minute and a half in, does the slow talking gimmick ever stop or should i just quit now

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    Im a minute and a half in, does the slow talking gimmick ever stop or should i just quit now
    People are going to talk like that for basically the entire franchise, but you can just read the text dialogue and hit A to skip to the next chunk.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    People are going to talk like that for basically the entire franchise, but you can just read the text dialogue and hit A to skip to the next chunk.

I meant the youtube video :)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I meant the youtube video :)

Nope that's old man limit breaker. He doesn't get any faster. Just the way we all like him.

He does occasionally make non old man voice videos but nobody likes those as much as the old man ones.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    As someone who can barely stand the shift to informative video as the standard because of how much longer video+speech takes over images+text, the idea that someone would want a 'talk slower' gimmick is astounding.

I love old man limit breaker and his useless data.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    As someone who can barely stand the shift to informative video as the standard because of how much longer video+speech takes over images+text, the idea that someone would want a 'talk slower' gimmick is astounding.

Right? Give me some pictures and text I can speed-skim. I don't need a 10 minute video for something that can be conveyed in 30 seconds.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can't run 6 ads over a paragraph

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't run 6 ads over a paragraph

Adsense: Bet

edited October 2020
    I'm remembering the wild west days of Adsense, when the top result of a search would be some spammy SEO-optimized blog packed absolutely to the brim with as many adsense ads as they could convince Google to serve.

Google has of course defeated that sort of SEO by, uh, making its search engine worse and worse? I seriously hate when it guesses what you want instead of caring about your search terms, sometimes completely ignoring quotes around a term in favor of its not-actually-the-same-thing synonyms.

...I'm not sure which is worse?

Kamar on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    My special edition copy of You Died arrived today, in it's fancy coffin:

Box lid:
    klaxEuS.jpg?1

Book:
    gPxvGVz.jpg?1

Some pages:
    1gXhWQA.jpg

The book itself has a lot of old school King James bible stylings. The pages aren't that thin, but when the book is closed the pages definitely have that gold finish to them along the edges. The box itself is pretty nice but the feet are questionably secured. One fell off in shipping, which was a very easy super glue fix, but it is a touch annoying given the cost of the package. It's made of really nice wood and the locking and opening mechanisms are nice and well secured. It came in really nice packaging and was very well protected overall (short the aforementioned foot). From inspecting the foot it seems predicated on how close to the edge they tried to screw them in. It's really the only piece of questionable craftsmanship I see in the package and thankfully is easily fixed.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    My special edition copy of You Died arrived today, in it's fancy coffin:

The book itself has a lot of old school King James bible stylings. The pages aren't that thin, but when the book is closed the pages definitely have that gold finish to them along the edges. The box itself is pretty nice but the feet are questionably secured. One fell off in shipping, which was a very easy super glue fix, but it is a touch annoying given the cost of the package. It's made of really nice wood and the locking and opening mechanisms are nice and well secured. It came in really nice packaging and was very well protected overall (short the aforementioned foot). From inspecting the foot it seems predicated on how close to the edge they tried to screw them in. It's really the only piece of questionable craftsmanship I see in the package and thankfully is easily fixed.

So uh... what's you died? I mean, I could google it, but I'm sure your fan description will be far superior.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It's a book about Dark Souls, kind of in it's totality. Some lore, some history, some cultural stuff around the game. It's kind of just a big love letter to Dark Souls. I haven't read it yet myself, but it it's got good reviews and came highly recommended from my friends. It's kind of a purchase of two halves for me. On the one hand the book is great and it's in my queue to read, on the other hand it's just a fancy, fun, item to add to my little Dark Souls shrine at my house.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    It's a book about Dark Souls, kind of in it's totality. Some lore, some history, some cultural stuff around the game. It's kind of just a big love letter to Dark Souls. I haven't read it yet myself, but it it's got good reviews and came highly recommended from my friends. It's kind of a purchase of two halves for me. On the one hand the book is great and it's in my queue to read, on the other hand it's just a fancy, fun, item to add to my little Dark Souls Firelink shrine at my house.

FTFY?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sekiro DLC is out and those new boss rushes don’t fuck around.
    The last boss of each leg is basically a ‘hard mode’ of an existing boss. Even the first tier, Genichiro, is WAY more aggressive and has some moves that are very reminiscent of Sword Saint. Really fast, long reaching attacks that he can chain to/from others. It was a slow play, because the first two bosses are vanilla Gyobu and Lady Butterfly.

You get to keep your health, tools, items and skills, but your strength is normalized so you can’t just overpower them. And if you lose a fight you go all the way back to the beginning.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Surprised this wasn't posted yet. Demon's Souls Gameplay Trailer #2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7NqSTQvRBw&feature=emb_title

KoopahTroopah on
    Surprised this wasn't posted yet. Demon's Souls Gameplay Trailer #2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7NqSTQvRBw&feature=emb_title

Still not a fan of the camera change. But it looks great otherwise.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Yeah the camera concerns me as well but the animation and the enemy design look incredible.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
This discussion has been closed.