As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Took my Pokeball Plus on a spin around the park today and oh my goodness this feels like cheating. I just...walk and press a button? And I catch Pokemon and spin stops and I can look around me instead of down at my screen!? It is a miracle.

In other news, I have to clear out my Pokemon bag tonight because it is too full and I can't catch anymore Pokemon. Who'da thunk.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    huh something weird going on with eggs?

Just had 3 hatch at once, and a 7km egg I started incubating 10 minutes ago is already 4.7 / 7 even though I only walked about 500m home

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

Just had 3 hatch at once, and a 7km egg I started incubating 10 minutes ago is already 4.7 / 7 even though I only walked about 500m home

I hope they're giving us back all the distance they screwed us out of over the past year with their garbage distance tracking method!

• Options
    I did just turn on the adventure sync thing last night so this is the first time I've been out with it.

I know for a fact that Go's distance tracking method comes up quite short since I usually only get ~2.5k out of my afternoon dog walk despite it being more like 4-5k

But then like I said, I only had this alolan egg in for about 10 minutes and it got 70% of the way to hatching so IDK

sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I hope they're giving us back all the distance they screwed us out of over the past year with their garbage distance tracking method!

...sorry Warlock, I think Xaquin has officially taken your crown for the PoGo Thread's Grumpiest Poster. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

...sorry Warlock, I think Xaquin has officially taken your crown for the PoGo Thread's Grumpiest Poster. :P

I thought I always had it!

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I did just turn on the adventure sync thing last night so this is the first time I've been out with it.

I know for a fact that Go's distance tracking method comes up quite short since I usually only get ~2.5k out of my afternoon dog walk despite it being more like 4-5k

But then like I said, I only had this alolan egg in for about 10 minutes and it got 70% of the way to hatching so IDK

In my short experience with it, adventure sync is both far more accurate and far more generous about the distance you cover. It’s registered more than half a kilometre for me since I got home tonight, and I haven’t left the house.

A quick google hasn’t shown me anything, but I assume it works on your steps, rather than the in-app calculation of distance (as woeful as that is). So having the phone in my pocket while chasing my toddlers back and forth at bedtime and just going up and down the stairs a few times has got me that much closer to my next hatch.

It’s a godsend. I might finally earn enough candies for that Slaking.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I will, relatively soon, actually get this sunkern off my shoulder and get that special quest.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I just got a new phone so I'm back in the game! I'm going to go back and add as many friend codes as I can find in the thread.

Mine is 3875 3200 2441.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    On third stage of Meltan quest, getting the feeling I’ll find a ditto in the wild before I get an Excellent throw off.

Doesn’t help all the pokes I’m finding have a smaller circle than I’m good at for getting excellent throws.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I think I got mine off of a drowzee, it's pretty large compared to a lot of the other common spawns right now and a good distance away

though ive been seeing a lot of ponyta today which are also pretty great for it

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Well, since the Mime Plague continues unabated over here, Excellent Throws aren’t that hard to obtain. Ponyta are good for that as well, if you have those nearby.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Nevermind, I just got it via an Ex Raid Deoxys (that I couldn’t actually catch, but that’s fine).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The big chaps you get as rewards for completing the research tasks are good for getting an excellent as well, because there’s no chance that you’ll accidentally catch it but it won’t run away, so you can refine your throw over multiple attempts

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Finding the "hatch 2 eggs" temp event is proving to be a pain in the ass, even with a downtown location, but the hunt continues, and I believe there's still a week left while it's around.

It would be nice if they'd solve that "sometimes your friend list just disappears, lol" thing. I've reset my game a half dozen times and no luck so far. I've read that deleting and reinstalling can help, but I'm eternally forgetting what password I used for Pokemon, so it's annoying enough to be leaving as a last resort.

Edit; also the "trying to open my friends list crashes the game" bug.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    After the first day of getting two in a row, I haven’t seen the hatch two eggs one at all. Maybe I should have kept one.

Edit: on stage 4, I’m loving the glut of magnemites right now

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The 10 raids is the hardest thing to do right now, it's a bummer.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I spent close to 2 hours hunting down raids and I only got through 5... it's a bit of a slog. But knowing that the rest of it is just catching things gives me hope that I can finish it before the special spawns end.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If you've got a spare 45 minutes you can enter a raid, wait for the battle to start exit the raid then join again (same pass, doesn't cost a new one) and it will count as separate battles I believe.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    If you've got a spare 45 minutes you can enter a raid, wait for the battle to start exit the raid then join again (same pass, doesn't cost a new one) and it will count as separate battles I believe.

I think that behavior was changed before Celebi special research. It essentially counts used raid passes now.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The next community day Pokemon is -- EVERY community day Pokemon that's shown up so far. Meaning Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu, Eevee, Dratini, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Mareep, Larvitar, and Beldum. Yep, you can get their special move too. And it's not just for three hours... you can get them Nov. 30 through Dec. 2. But, during the usual three-hour window on Dec. 1, you can get double xp, stardust and incubator effectiveness.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I really want this to be the time I get some shinies of the ones I've missed so far, but in reality I expect I will see nothing but god-damn Pikachu all weekend.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I hatched a shiny Pichu, and I only noticed when I got the warning when trying to juice him. That’s a subtle hue change.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    @wordherder we will become best friends when you open my gift. It would be nice if you give me a heads up when you'll do it.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Hey so if anyone was wondering you can catch shinies via the Pokeball Plus.

oqu77wto4g5t.png

Opened up my game to find this in my box.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone for friendship acceptance so far! I haven't had much opportunity to play just yet but I have the day off tomorrow so I'm going to be spinning stops and earning lots of gifts.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've got one Sinnoh stone and apparently I can evolve my Rhydon? I haven't seen any in gyms yet, which is surprising. Might pop a lucky egg later and go on an evolve spree.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Rhydon, Electabuzz, Magmar, Roselia, and others, actually.

EDIT: That may be inaccurate, only a few 'mons are able to be evolved via Sinnoh Stones right now. The others are merely speculation.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    But not all of those have the option to evolve at the moment, so they're presumably staggering the releases? I wanted to evolve my Magnemite and Piloswine, but they don't have the option yet.

And it's still weird that I haven't seen any of these additional evolutions in gyms. Usually people want to be the first to put a new poke in a gym, even if it's technically no good.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I've seen plenty Rhyperior and Togekiss. Also some Roserade and Weavile.

The real hipster 'mon are probably like Gliscor or Dusknoir. Haven't seen any of them. According to this list, they are pretty bad, also: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/sinnoh-stone-tier-list

Sinnoh stones come from the 7day research breakthrough and were made available Nov 14th. That means noone has more than 2 right now, so people are stingy with them.

/edit: Also the Gen4 evos that are still missing use evolution methods that currently aren't in PoGo. (the ones we got use either stones or held items) Magnezone needs a "magnetic field", Mamoswine has to have a specific move. Then there are the gender based evos. We don't know how Niantic will handle these in the future, but they did recently add code referring to "geofencing", so at least the location based evos could happen soonish.

Grobian on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Unless they’re really dumb locations like ‘one place on the whole planet’ dumb.

Edit: Rhyperior is a beast and totally worth the stone. Next up, Togekiss, apparently.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I spotted a Dusknoir at a nearby gym a few days ago.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    how do i do the cresselia thing and the community thing
    i know nothing about pokemon go except the very basic stuff

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    My Porygon 2 also has the option to evolve into Porygon Z now

sig.gif
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    how do i do the cresselia thing and the community thing
    i know nothing about pokemon go except the very basic stuff

Cresselia takes ~5 people to take down. You just click on the gym when Cresselia is there and spend a Raid Pass and you're on your way, like any other Raid. You and some friends or strangers need to be at the gym at the same time to coordinate this. Many regions have local facebook groups they use to coordinate this (There's a raid at the Park Fountain at 3:20! Anyone going? etc.)

Community Days are just once a month where the featured Pokemon has vastly increased spawns, with an increased shiny rate and special event moves for 3 hours. There are also special bonuses (double stardust for all catches! double EXP! etc.) during that time. The upcoming one has the featured Pokemon ALL WEEKEND long, but the special bonuses are still only in the 3 hour window. You can show up wherever you want to for them, they aren't restricted to Parks, but I like to go to Parks because that's where I see a lot of my friends & it is the densest arrangement of Pokestops so I can just walk around the park and continually catch stuff.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I caught a Ditto today. Then finished the 10 great throws and moved to the next stage of the Meltan quest. Now I need to catch another Ditto.

On the plus side the walking bonuses have given me a shit ton of regular pokeballs for low level pokemon. Last week I ended with 24.9 KM, it was pretty sad.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    So I got a Sinnoh Stone and evolved a Honchkrow, but it got Psychic for a charg e move. Ugh.

I'm figuring it's better to attempt to Charge TM it out if I want a pure Dark attacker, rather than use another Sinnoh Stone (which are hard to come by) to evolve another Murkrow with "awesome" IVs (of which I have one, but it's low level). What do you guys think?

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So I got a Sinnoh Stone and evolved a Honchkrow, but it got Psychic for a charg e move. Ugh.

I'm figuring it's better to attempt to Charge TM it out if I want a pure Dark attacker, rather than use another Sinnoh Stone (which are hard to come by) to evolve another Murkrow with "awesome" IVs (of which I have one, but it's low level). What do you guys think?

You'll probably get plenty of charge TMs with the ...dozen? raids you need to do for meltan

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not much of a raid guy, really, but yeah, I see what you mean. Charge TM it is!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    One Meltan step is indeed 'fight in 10 raids' or similar wording.

Note, you don't have to finish the raid to get credit. Joining is sufficient. Now, of course, picking fights you (or the group in the area) can win is a better idea, but it can be done in 10 raids, period, is all I'm trying to convey.

Note 2; that's just one step. I blew through the 9 stages pretty swiftly, it's possible there was another raid or three in there somewhere, but I'm not feeling motivated to go google'ing for an exact answer.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!