As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I found a Ditto finally!! We were out for a drive when my Lovely Partner says, "Oh?" And I'm thinking an egg just hatched. And then she says, "You might want to turn around. I got a Ditto." so I made a completely illegal U-turn, forgetting to keep left and going back to my US-based driving habits which are completely wrong here (but you know, 30+ years of habits are hard to break when you're acting on instinct). It took a bit for the (apparent) Gulpin to show up on my scanner but then it was a simple one-ball catch and voila: Ditto!

I have no idea what the rest of this mission is like, but nothing can possibly be as maddening as that requirement.

ummmm

well

=(
    Honestly the ONLY way it could possibly get worse is if it requires evolving a Dragonite or a Blissey. I've only seen (including on gyms) 11 Dratini and 3 Chansey since the game came out. Literally anything else is doable.

EDIT: Okay, I caved and looked at the quest steps online. Doesn't look too bad at all, comparatively. I'm curious what is supposedly harder than finding the nearly impossible Ditto?

I'm working on the Mew thing - before I got the research project I caught 3 Dittos within a couple of weeks, since I got it zero...I figure it'll eventually happen. *sigh*

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Belasco32 wrote: »
    I'm working on the Mew thing - before I got the research project I caught 3 Dittos within a couple of weeks, since I got it zero...I figure it'll eventually happen. *sigh*

This is exactly what happened to me when I was doing that one. Took me quite awhile to find another one.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I found a Ditto finally!! We were out for a drive when my Lovely Partner says, "Oh?" And I'm thinking an egg just hatched. And then she says, "You might want to turn around. I got a Ditto." so I made a completely illegal U-turn, forgetting to keep left and going back to my US-based driving habits which are completely wrong here (but you know, 30+ years of habits are hard to break when you're acting on instinct). It took a bit for the (apparent) Gulpin to show up on my scanner but then it was a simple one-ball catch and voila: Ditto!

I have no idea what the rest of this mission is like, but nothing can possibly be as maddening as that requirement.

ummmm

well

=(
    Honestly the ONLY way it could possibly get worse is if it requires evolving a Dragonite or a Blissey. I've only seen (including on gyms) 11 Dratini and 3 Chansey since the game came out. Literally anything else is doable.

if you're talking about meltan, it'll be 10 raids, 2 omanyte or kabuto an aerodactyl, and 2 anorith (which you can get now) or 2 ummmm somethings
    Yeah, Meltan.

10 raids takes a couple weeks.
    Catching everything else seems pretty easy. Even the rare stuff shows up eventually.

It took me FOUR MONTHS of dedicated searching to find a Ditto. I'm sorry but nothing can compare to that.

26904.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I have been stuck on the exeggcute task of Meltan for about two-three weeks now.
    Haven't seen any.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    I finally got 1 exeggcute today, so 1/5.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I have been stuck on the exeggcute task of Meltan for about two-three weeks now.
    Haven't seen any.

Alolan Exeggutor is back as a T2 raid boss, should be easily beaten with anything with ice moves. I expect that would count since Alolan Marrowak counted for cubone.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Haven't seen any.

This was the boat I was in until literally yesterday. Catch X Pokemon tasks, when said Pokemon is explicitly not reliably or commonly found (say, a Kanto Pokemon during the "Hoenn Festival", really sucks and shouldn't be a thing. If you can't reasonably complete a task by playing daily for about a week, its probably too much.

The Ditto was actually easier for me because when the event first started there was a task that would give you a "Pidgey" that was actually a Ditto, 100% of the time. Coordinating with local groups people could tell you where to get said task. But since that event is over, I imagine that hurdle is nigh-impossible.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Haven't seen any.

Alolan Exeggutor is back as a T2 raid boss, should be easily beaten with anything with ice moves. I expect that would count since Alolan Marrowak counted for cubone.

Haven't seen him either

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Surprise -- big, big changes! Here's a very brief rundown.

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/sinnoh-evolutions/

--More new Sinnoh pokemon in the wold
    --Sinnoh stones now evolve more Pokémon
    --Tier 3, 4, and 5 raid bosses have more HP to compensate for more powerful moves
    --Raids give more stardust
    --Some moves have damage changes
    --A whole bunch of Pokémon have new moves

...most of the new moves are on lower-tier pokemon, but there's some exceptions. Donphan FINALLY has a fast ground move, all the legendary dogs have off-type new moves and Ho-oh has Hidden Power. Most of the new moves are different than the pokemon's base type and seem geared toward giving them an interesting second charged move for trainer battles. All those details are here:

https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/sinnoh-evolutions/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    nice of them to completely kill raiding for rural folk!

glad I got that stupid meltan before they made tier 3 raids unsoloable

• Options

I wouldn't despair just yet... wait for the analyses to come out.

• Options

From what I have heard this only affects 3* - 5*, not 1* and 2*. I've also heard 3*s that were soloable are still soloable. But I dunno.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    It's only a 20% buff to HP. All tier 3s should still be soloable. Anything with a double weakness is still easier than before the type effectiveness changes. Bosses with only a single weakness are a bit harder but not by much.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    good

3 tier raids were necessary for me to get meltan so hopefully they'll stay in range of my pokeskills

• Options
    Here's a good analysis of just how the changes will affect the game. The good news is that the changes to existing moves are all buffs.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I just upgraded a megnemite!

@Belasco32 goes "what'd it become?"

me: Magneton!
    her: ooh, Magneto
    me: no...
    her: *stares* no, it's mag-neato....

I have to kill her now, and then myself

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Pulled a shiny Shinx out of a raid, so that’s pretty neat!

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    any suggestions for how to find a group to do occasional raids with as a filthy casual*?

my health isn't awesome, and when it's going to be even less awesome is unpredictable, which makes approaching things as lightly/casually as possible important regardless of how much I might wanna get to nerd-out with everybody else

My local organisation is a What'sApp group chat. I'd start with your generic local busybody Facebook community group. Ignore the mind-numbingly tedious posts complaining about parking and kids etc and do a search on that for Pokémon Go. If that comes up with nothing put up a post yourself. Someone in the loop should hopefully hook you up.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    What Chinese sign is Electabuzz meant to be

... Looks like tiger.
    Just give everyone shiny growlithes

discrider on
  • Options
    What Chinese sign is Electabuzz meant to be

Tiger apparently. I dunno why they didn't go with Growlithe...

• Options
    For comparison, goodest boy:
    ydt23wf6qneb.png

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Growlithe is a doggo, though.

Electabuzz apparently is inspired by an Japanese folklore oni with horns and wearing tiger skin.

• Options
    I got the announcement notice in my client today at lunchtime and proceeded to catch no fewer than seven Growlithe in a two block walk. Maybe the infographic is wrong?

I'm super excited to see if Dratini spawns increase because I really need/want those! Maybe I'll actually be able to get a Dragonair!

26904.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I got a field research quest today to spin 10 stops/gyms with a reward of what turned out to be silver pinap berries. I thought it looked like a steel berry in the thumbnail.
    xaag1jrskywa.png
    2m681r9l8eu8.png
    It gives more candy and increases catch chance. I assume it's just a combined pinap and razz berry but I haven't used one yet.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I think the catch chance is a little better than a regular Razz, but otherwise, you are correct.

• Options
    infernalsummerinfernalsummer Registered User regular
    It seems that the friends event has a higher incidence of getting a lucky Pokémon than usual. I’ve gotten one every 4-10 trades so far until it told me I have reached the trade limit for the day. Flinging Pokemon across the room commences again at midnight.,.

3fr6u6356x6p.jpeg

• Options
    In case you glossed over the info about the crappy community day Pokémon and its equally crappy special move, the event (this Saturday) will also allow you to get up to five Sinnoh Stones from team leader battles and five more from trainer battles, for a total of ten.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    In case you glossed over the info about the crappy community day Pokémon and its equally crappy special move, the event (this Saturday) will also allow you to get up to five Sinnoh Stones from team leader battles and five more from trainer battles, for a total of ten.

plus 5 more from pvp on Sunday (although I believe sunday is not guaranteed to be sinnoh stones, just you can get 2 more rewards than normal)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Mamoswine isn't crappy. It's the best ice attacker.

Also it's a mammoth with a snout.

Grobian on
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Would be nice if they extended the exclusive move period to the whole weekend if they're going to have the increased Sinnoh stone chances on Sunday too...

I mean there are plenty of other things to evolve with Sinnoh stones so I'll take it, haha... but just feels like that would be in better keeping with community day goals?

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Valentine's Day event is live.
    Lures last 6 hours
    Double Catch Candy
    Happiny is in 7km eggs
    and more..lovedisc and chansys (chansey is low cp level 3 raid) and snubull and other pinky mon
    New spinda is live (heart pattern) no confirmation if they did release the heartbroken shiny variant yet.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Would be nice if they extended the exclusive move period to the whole weekend if they're going to have the increased Sinnoh stone chances on Sunday too...

I mean there are plenty of other things to evolve with Sinnoh stones so I'll take it, haha... but just feels like that would be in better keeping with community day goals?

exclusive move is crap though so most people won't evolve it during the event.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

exclusive move is crap though so most people won't evolve it during the event.

Seriously, a rock move for a ground/ice type? Blargh.

• Options
    omg, both spool and I finally caught the f'ing Ditto to finish that research piece.

After many evenings of going for long "Poke-walks" around our neighborhood we both happen to be really sick and laying in bed and I opened the app...first thing I caught was the much sought Ditto.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    A partial view from my apartment today:

(yes, I know one could be creepy and figure out where we live with this...just, ya know, don't be creepy)
    NJe9NfLl.png
    pVrVpokl.png

edit: it so sucks that we're both too sick to go walk around and take advantage of any of this :(

Belasco32 on
  • Options
    Well, now that the lunar new year event is over, I can sadly report that I saw exactly one Dratini, bringing my lifetime total of Dratini "seen" to 13!

Maybe I'll luck out and see a Chansey raid around here somewhere and tick that "seen" counter up from three... to four! (And maybe have a non-zero number in the "caught" column.)

26904.png
  • Options
    Huh, Niantic just announced stat boosts during trainer battles. Specifically, some charge attacks have a chance to raise attack and/or defense on a Pokémon until it faints or is switched out. Ancient Power is one of them, so maybe Mamoswine's special move isn't terrible after all.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

(yes, I know one could be creepy and figure out where we live with this...just, ya know, don't be creepy)
    NJe9NfLl.png
    pVrVpokl.png

edit: it so sucks that we're both too sick to go walk around and take advantage of any of this :(

Wow, that's intense!

Poké thread, if anybody reading hasn't got me as a friend, please add me!

I need 3 additional friends for research purposes.

Code: 3875 3200 2441

Please and thank you! Feel free to pass on my code to friends or other acquaintances, I don't really mind who adds me :)

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    soitissoitis Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

NJe9NfLl.png
    pVrVpokl.png

Wow, that's intense!

Poké thread, if anybody reading hasn't got me as a friend, please add me!

I need 3 additional friends for research purposes.

Code: 3875 3200 2441

Please and thank you! Feel free to pass on my code to friends or other acquaintances, I don't really mind who adds me :)

I added you, as zinif, hope you are getting your three.

I am bad at checking this thread, but if any ever needs an additional friend they are free to add me: 3612 4054 9986