As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I'm two for three already, and thanks for the add! I'm sure it won't take long to get the last one, certainly the other tasks will take much longer to accomplish in the mean time.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Huh, Niantic just announced stat boosts during trainer battles. Specifically, some charge attacks have a chance to raise attack and/or defense on a Pokémon until it faints or is switched out. Ancient Power is one of them, so maybe Mamoswine's special move isn't terrible after all.

I'm kinda doubtful about this. You need to charge a move, fire it with low damage, have it not shielded (probably?) and get lucky on the activation which isn't guaranteed. That stat buff needs to be huge to make this worth it, because your mon will be at least half dead once you get it.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Surely this means it'll be available in some form after this, right?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Surely this means it'll be available in some form after this, right?

*shrug* Nincada still isn't

Edit: Ok, will be available in the wild after:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/asfdvu/discover_more_with_limited_research_featuring/?st=jsc9mnew&sh=6eaa677c
    TSR has reached out to Liz @ Niantic to see what more we could learn about the Clamperl Research Day, and she's confirmed that Clamperl will not be exclusive to Research Day. It will be available in the wild afterward - so folks missing the event his weekend won't be stuck out of luck with holes in the 'dex (though it sounds like Clamperl isn't intended to be a super common wild spawn).

She also shared that they've taken a little different approach to the Research Tasks after learning from Feebas Day. They've been reviewed and adjusted after feedback. Here's hoping we see a less frenetic and more enjoyable event! Additionally, she said it should overall feel more like a water festival, with more water spawns and chances to encounter other shiny water types like Krabby, Wailmer, and even Feebas.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    How do the three-hour windows work for non-US people? I would look it up myself but I'm behind a corporate firewall and most (but not all) gaming related sites are blocked.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    How do the three-hour windows work for non-US people? I would look it up myself but I'm behind a corporate firewall and most (but not all) gaming related sites are blocked.

Just like the Community Days, they're done in waves:

Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: Feb. 23, 2019, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. UTC (GMT +0)
    The Americas and Greenland: Feb. 23, 2019, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)
    Asia-Pacific: Feb. 24, 2019, from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. JST (GMT +9)

Glad they're making this event less of a pain than the Feebas one, especially with a new Pokémon.

• Options

Probably the same as any other community day. I'm sure everyone has their own window of time.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Bleh, I don't like these research task events. They should be an entire weekend or something- I just can't complete that many research tasks to make it worth while, and I end up with like 5 of them. Its especially bad since its the weekend after a community day- I don't like to load my weekends up with Pokemon GO back to back.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and India: Feb. 23, 2019, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. UTC (GMT +0)
    The Americas and Greenland: Feb. 23, 2019, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. PST (GMT −8)

Glad they're making this event less of a pain than the Feebas one, especially with a new Pokémon.
    So if I'm GMT +11 then it would be 2 pm to 5 pm on Sunday, right? I still haven't internalized how to adjust time zones in this bizzaro upsidedownland place!

26904.png
  • Options

So if I'm GMT +11 then it would be 2 pm to 5 pm on Sunday, right? I still haven't internalized how to adjust time zones in this bizzaro upsidedownland place!

https://p337.info/pokemongo/ always has timers for events for your local time. The clamperl day isn't online yet, but you can check back later, they'll definitely add it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is it just me, or is Palkia a gigantic asshole to catch? Defeated 6 times, zero successful catches. Golden raspberries on every throw, though he's far enough away that I find landing well timed curveballs a challenge. The first few were straight shots for accuracy over increased catching, no luck. So now I've zeroed in on how to land fairly accurate curveballs on his '100 yards away' ass, and they still fail to catch. Just fought him twice to today, easily a half dozen+ nice curve shots, and a pair of great curve shots, still nothing.

I'm at level 36 and have caught my share of Legendaries, but this one feels like either I'm super unlucky, or it has a sub 5% catch chance. I mean, it's a top 10 attacker according to the gamepress stat listings, so I'd expect it to be tough, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

I believe it's around for raids for another week, so it's not like I won't have more chances (and more than my fair share, based on living in the midst of a dozen gyms that pop raids pretty frequently), but it's making me wish for a mercy mechanic of some sort at this point.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is Palkia a gigantic asshole to catch? Defeated 6 times, zero successful catches. Golden raspberries on every throw, though he's far enough away that I find landing well timed curveballs a challenge. The first few were straight shots for accuracy over increased catching, no luck. So now I've zeroed in on how to land fairly accurate curveballs on his '100 yards away' ass, and they still fail to catch. Just fought him twice to today, easily a half dozen+ nice curve shots, and a pair of great curve shots, still nothing.

I'm at level 36 and have caught my share of Legendaries, but this one feels like either I'm super unlucky, or it has a sub 5% catch chance. I mean, it's a top 10 attacker according to the gamepress stat listings, so I'd expect it to be tough, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

I believe it's around for raids for another week, so it's not like I won't have more chances (and more than my fair share, based on living in the midst of a dozen gyms that pop raids pretty frequently), but it's making me wish for a mercy mechanic of some sort at this point.

I didn't think he was that much of a pain, but I've randomly had trouble on some legendaries that others didn't. It took me seventeen tries to get Zapdos.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    A little reading is indicating that not having the Gold Dragon Tamer badge might be part of the problem.

I'm at 64/200 for that.

So.... guess it'll just be an uphill climb for the next week.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
  • Options
    FYI, Palkia will still be available through Feb. 28.

• Options
    Yeah this is just for this weekend. The link also mentions Latios is coming at some point for a weekend too.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

So I checked my rates for this because it's definitely been harder for me to catch compared to e.g. Mewtwo (both when he was an EX and regular) - I'm at 28/37 caught, so approx. 75% catch rate (honestly, it felt like closer to 50%, so I'm kind of surprised it's that high). My friend has had much better luck than me and is probably closer to 85-90%. Sometimes RNG gonna RNG.

He is a huge pain in the ass though, no doubt about it. What my friend and I have been doing, is that if we have 10+ balls, we alternate nanab + golden razz on every throw - we're still not sure if it's placebo but in our anecdotal experience it basically guarantees us consistent great throws, which in our opinion is better than whiffing balls because of the multi-jump multi-attack pattern. Though, we also both have the dragon tamer badge, so I don't know how much of a factor it is.

If you're consistently under 10 balls it almost always sucks though.

• Options
    Mewtwo was exceptionally easy to catch. (as ex raid, not sure about regular)

• Options
    Oh really? I thought Mewtwo had one of the lowest catch rates when it was an EX but got a higher catch rate when it moved into regular. That was around when I started playing again after taking a break though, so it's all hearsay on my end, I have no evidence to back it up one way or another.

• Options
    Yeah, Mewtwo was easier to catch when it was an EX raid reward. He's harder to catch now.

And alternating between golden razz and nanabs is a myth. There's no reason not to go full golden razz (unless you're out of them, of course).

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Palkia was a pain in the ass to catch, but it looks like enough people complained and they moved him way closer to the front of the screen. I did a couple raids this morning and the difference is huge. I still failed to catch one though because he is a jumping/knockaway jerk still, but at least it is way easier to land the curveballs.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    So all of you who guessed that Treecko would be the next community day 'mon, you win. March 23, 1/4 incubator distance, etc.

But! This time Niantic's doing something new -- no matter where you live, Community Day will happen from 3-6 p.m. local time.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    So all of you who guessed that Treecko would be the next community day 'mon, you win. March 23, 1/4 incubator distance, etc.

But! This time Niantic's doing something new -- no matter where you live, Community Day will happen from 3-6 p.m. local time.

Yeah, not a fan of this. Mine was 1-4 which was a really nice time window. 6 feels so late :/

Also, datamine of Clamperl research tasks (spoiler for size)
    RLMz6o0.jpg

Not too terrible

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Oooh, much better. Though there's going to be so many gym battles.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Oooh, much better. Though there's going to be so many gym battles.

Depending on how common that quest is, ya. Though honestly the most efficient thing would probably be to battle in a gym and hop out as soon as you get quest credit so as to not waste a lot of time on it. So not sure how much actual gym turnover there'll be.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    This weekend is Latias raid weekend too, with a chance at shiny! Goes through Sunday iirc.

• Options
    My CD window was 11-14, and I much prefer the new one. I think 2-5 would be ideal for me, but I can just skip the last hour, so it's still great.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Btw they're adding a feature on the 26th, where you can buy a medallion for 1000 gold which allows you to change teams!

Once a year.

If anything, it'll probably lead to a complete exodus of the yellow team!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Btw they're adding a feature on the 26th, where you can buy a medallion for 1000 gold which allows you to change teams!

Once a year.

one does not join instinct for teammates.
    one joins instinct to FIGHT CONSTANTLY.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    wait does anyone actually care about the teams

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Shimshai wrote: »

Once a year.

one does not join instinct for teammates.
    one joins instinct to FIGHT CONSTANTLY.

<~<
    That's our, Valor's motto though.
    Although perhaps it's more of a necessity for Instinct rather than a hobby or core motivation.

discrider on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular

From a practical standpoint, if you and your friends are the same team you can get a bonus chances to take down legendaries you raided together, and can take down gyms together, etc. It's nice for semi-rural areas where there may be too few Yellow Team players to ever get these bonuses or coordinate a gym, which can make the game a lot harder.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »

From a practical standpoint, if you and your friends are the same team you can get a bonus chances to take down legendaries you raided together, and can take down gyms together, etc. It's nice for semi-rural areas where there may be too few Yellow Team players to ever get these bonuses or coordinate a gym, which can make the game a lot harder.

Oh yeah, I certainly get that. But that wouldn't explain why Instinct specifically would get gutted. Unless, like, the vast majority of people chose the other two so those practical reasons would encourage people to switch out of Instinct.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    My girlfriend is Instinct and would never, ever leave, so I'll be switching to it... even though that means far fewer coins from the gym next to work.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I'm actually playing this again! I finally got a new phone with data plan a couple months ago, so I can actually, y'know, play this on the go and not be 100% reliant on Wi-fi hotspots.

If any of you want to add me as a friend for trades and such, my code is 3189 2010 4973.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    TDawg wrote: »

Oh yeah, I certainly get that. But that wouldn't explain why Instinct specifically would get gutted. Unless, like, the vast majority of people chose the other two so those practical reasons would encourage people to switch out of Instinct.

This is basically what people are foreseeing, yeah. In general some areas have a much higher density of players (for my area it's mostly Mystic) so if you want to maximize your raid and gym rewards, it makes more sense to swap to the dominant team.

Edit: to answer why Instinct specifically, it's because when the game first launched, most people chose Valor or Mystic and Instinct became the "casual player" meme team. I think it's different now but that means a lot of areas have much lower Instinct numbers.

mightyjongyo on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Except you don't maximize gym rewards if everyone is the same team. Gyms need competitive team balance to create turnover in gyms. Otherwise you mons are just stuck there, no one gets rewards and you can't put new things in gyms.

I agree people may switch to the dominate team in the area (and it is good for raiding), but it's not necessarily great for the game.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Except you don't maximize gym rewards if everyone is the same team. Gyms need competitive team balance to create turnover in gyms. Otherwise you mons are just stuck there, no one gets rewards and you can't put new things in gyms.

I agree people may switch to the dominate team in the area (and it is good for raiding), but it's not necessarily great for the game.

At least you'd get 50 that way. If you're yellow, you're going to constatly get kicked out after like an hour or so

steam_sig.png