As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

1717274767787

Posts

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Aipom is almost a guaranteed break out of 47 balls in a row and then run away.

    Fixed.

    This is me and Cherims, motherfuckers hate the ball.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh, I never completed my Melody quest.

    3541 9043 4031

    Someone be my frond.
    Pwease

    Bless your heart.
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Oh, I never completed my Melody quest.

    3541 9043 4031

    Someone be my frond.
    Pwease

    I'll be your buddy!

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Need a new friend for an research task.
    5272 4226 4407

    :so_raven:
    Capt Howdy
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Request sent!

    Corvus
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Sent to all was pretty scary to think I wasn’t friends with some of you already gosh

    Corvus
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Request sent.

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Corvus
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Sent to all was pretty scary to think I wasn’t friends with some of you already gosh

    I didn't do all the friend invites available, because I knew there'd be more new challenges for these.

  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    dang this daily spotlight hour got me zero shinies so far
    and i got like 60+ of each pokemon

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    dang this daily spotlight hour got me zero shinies so far
    and i got like 60+ of each pokemon

    I usually have terrible luck farming shinies during spotlight hour. But I managed to get two shiny Sableyes when I was just seeking one, so, uh. Thanks, RNG Jesus?

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Stormwatcher
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I only have 3 shinies; a shadow Scyther with trash stats, a Kirlia with a top hat, and a random Ferroseed

  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I have some shiny pokes but not the one I actually want, which is gyarados. This game mocks me!

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Shiny Charizard is the only one I want and the game mocked me when half my friends got it. My ex got a shiny charmander and didn't have the candy to evolve it while I'm sitting on hundreds. Let me have a shiny Charizard game!

    StormwatcherTox
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular


    Satan Go!

    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    cloudeagle
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Perfect
    Shadow
    Larvitar

    I have named him Darth Tyré

    ...and I have a 43/45 Tyranitar that just this morning I powered up to being my third best.

    Good news is I can always get more candies off of Go Rocket. Rock team almost always opens with Larvitar.

    Capt HowdyMNC DovercloudeagleRuldarGrobianNyysjan
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    So I have never been a big Battle League player, because I don’t do group raids and thus don’t have any of the top tier ‘mons that you seem to need for the meta. But I’ve been giving it a go anyway, and I have this week found out that the reward Pokémon you get can include legendaries! This is probably not news to anyone else, but so far I’ve netted a Kyurem and a (shiny!) Heatran, so this has been a great discovery!

    CruorToxIvelliuscloudeagleGrobianGnome-Interruptus
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 13
    pezgen wrote: »
    So I have never been a big Battle League player, because I don’t do group raids and thus don’t have any of the top tier ‘mons that you seem to need for the meta. But I’ve been giving it a go anyway, and I have this week found out that the reward Pokémon you get can include legendaries! This is probably not news to anyone else, but so far I’ve netted a Kyurem and a (shiny!) Heatran, so this has been a great discovery!

    Is that only the premier league or the free league as well?

    e: nvm, doesn't matter if you can't win

    Tox on
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    pezgen wrote: »
    So I have never been a big Battle League player, because I don’t do group raids and thus don’t have any of the top tier ‘mons that you seem to need for the meta. But I’ve been giving it a go anyway, and I have this week found out that the reward Pokémon you get can include legendaries! This is probably not news to anyone else, but so far I’ve netted a Kyurem and a (shiny!) Heatran, so this has been a great discovery!

    Is that only the premier league or the free league as well?

    e: nvm, doesn't matter if you can't win

    I got mine in the free league. After reading up on it, it seems the Pokémon rewards in the premier league are the same as the free one, it’s just that you only have to win one match to get a Pokémon instead of three.

    I just kept messing about with different team combinations until I found something that let me win enough matches to get the rewards. It’s much more fun in the lower levels where the CP is limited to 1500 or 2500.

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    pezgen wrote: »
    So I have never been a big Battle League player, because I don’t do group raids and thus don’t have any of the top tier ‘mons that you seem to need for the meta. But I’ve been giving it a go anyway, and I have this week found out that the reward Pokémon you get can include legendaries! This is probably not news to anyone else, but so far I’ve netted a Kyurem and a (shiny!) Heatran, so this has been a great discovery!

    Is that only the premier league or the free league as well?

    e: nvm, doesn't matter if you can't win

    I got mine in the free league. After reading up on it, it seems the Pokémon rewards in the premier league are the same as the free one, it’s just that you only have to win one match to get a Pokémon instead of three.

    I just kept messing about with different team combinations until I found something that let me win enough matches to get the rewards. It’s much more fun in the lower levels where the CP is limited to 1500 or 2500.

    Disagree with that last part because I've been powering up my duders to whomp on Rocket, so I don't have anything particularly good under 1500. I think I'm gonna spend some candy to get some second charge attacks

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Glad you've gotten a team that works, but if you're ever struggling again, try pvpoke.com. There's surprisingly little overlap between Pokemon optimized for raids and Pokemon optimized for pvp.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Interesting. I don’t really raid anyway, so it’s not like of got loads of raid-optimised mons ready to go. I’ll take a look.

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 13
    Gonna try fighting Giovanna again tonight. Tyranitar (Bite /Crunch), Mamoswine (Powder Snow / Bulldoze), and Torterra (Razor Leaf / Bulldoze).

    Anyone know how it determines how strong his pokemons are?

    Tox on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah idk why they changed battle league to limit it completely to only 1500 but I cannot win at all.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    There are different formats
    Great - 1500 CP
    Ultra - 2500 I think
    Master - Any CP.

    1500 I just jump in with random caught pokes.
    Usually gets me to rank 6ish.
    It's much easier to level pokes to 1500 too, so I enjoy it much more than the others, but bit of a waste of stardust if you want two attacks.

    I find that in 1500 it's all about typing and shield management.
    Ideally you want to spam fast attacks to blow through shields before the opponent knows what other typing matchups they are facing.
    But obviously switching away from a disadvantageous initial typing is preferable to trying to get a fast charger's attacks out before dying.
    You also want to conserve shields where you believe your poke can tank the shot. Or have it KOed when it has no chance of another strong attack anyway.

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 14
    discrider wrote: »
    There are different formats
    Great - 1500 CP
    Ultra - 2500 I think
    Master - Any CP.

    Not anymore. Not for me.
    nbvjuwh6aw6j.png

    Tox on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    There are different formats
    Great - 1500 CP
    Ultra - 2500 I think
    Master - Any CP.

    Not anymore. Not for me.
    nbvjuwh6aw6j.png

    Sorry, I mean there are different formats that they rotate through within a league season.
    Not sure if it's weekly or what; I don't play enough to know.
    I just dump time into Great League when it comes around from time to time.

    Sometimes all three leagues are playable.
    Looks like it's only great at the moment.

  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    They seem to have settled into a rotation format, so it'll be Great League for a couple of weeks, then Ultra, then Master, then back to Great again.

    And you'll sometimes see things like the Sinnoh Cup up there, or (I seem to recall) the Bidoof League.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Right, there's only a short time at the end of the season when all three are available.

    Assuming you have the stardust, putting together a Great team isn't too bad - pvpoke will help you pick the best ones, you can find decent fighters relatively easily, and IVs don't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Sinnoh cup seems much harder to get wins in then regular play.

    :so_raven:
    Tox
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Gonna try fighting Giovanna again tonight. Tyranitar (Bite /Crunch), Mamoswine (Powder Snow / Bulldoze), and Torterra (Razor Leaf / Bulldoze).

    Anyone know how it determines how strong his pokemons are?

    Giovanni whooped my ass. Twice.

    First time I made bad choices and got owned. Second time I was able to get Lugia halfway down.

    Fuckin Persian had 5k CP.

    discriderPreacher
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I had to unequip my Giovanni radar because he kept hunting me down in his balloon

    Ruldar
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I had to unequip my Giovanni radar because he kept hunting me down in his balloon

    Yeah, last time, when I first got the Super Radar, he whooped me bad, so I just unequipped and decided to do another round of the Leaders again. So I'm just gonna keep doing that, and after I've beat each of the leaders one more time, I'll try Giovanni again. Rinse and repeat until success or until next year or whenever the next Giovanni level event occurs (probably will be just before Pokemon Go Tour: Hoenn (Horray for finally an awesome Grass Starter, now gimme dat Flygon!)

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I have multiple Super radars now.

  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Gonna try fighting Giovanna again tonight. Tyranitar (Bite /Crunch), Mamoswine (Powder Snow / Bulldoze), and Torterra (Razor Leaf / Bulldoze).

    Anyone know how it determines how strong his pokemons are?

    Giovanni whooped my ass. Twice.

    First time I made bad choices and got owned. Second time I was able to get Lugia halfway down.

    Fuckin Persian had 5k CP.

    I just bring Lucario i think it was for Persian, having both fighting / normal types makes him double resist Persian dark attacks, and give you double damage against it, as well as super fast charge attack to bust through them shields.

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    Don't have Lucario, sadly. Tyranitar can probably handle either Persian or Lugia, but def not both. Which makes it turn into a 1:1 series encounter (bring a mon specifically for each of Giovanni's). But because of the three that are randomly chosen from for his second, you really need 4 pokemon to be prepared for anything, unless you have the exact three best to counter with all relevant overlaps, and even then having second charge attacks on stuff helps too (I think, I haven't bought a second atk yet).

    For the record, I think that's good design. There's an obvious element of luck, which is always there anyway in the combat mechanics. I think the trade off is good, because it means you can game it out to have a good chance, if you're lucky and or risky

    Tox on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    On the plus side I now have enough Spheal and candies to have a max level Walrein with two charge attacks, plus enough candies to evolve a shiny into Sealeo.

    e: of course I have nowhere near enough stardust for all that, but still, the candies are there when I've got the stardust to spare

    Tox on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Machamp with Counter and Cross Chop can burn through Persian (and otherwise burn shields for any opponents), and has the advantage of being a super common pokemon.

    :so_raven:
    CruorGnome-InterruptusDaenris
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 18
    Machamp sucks against Persian.
    Persian's bite burns through him.

    Wait, that makes no sense.

    In any case, I kept dropping like two Machamps against the Persian , and then gave up.

    discrider on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Counter / Cross Chop should be fast enough to stun lock Persian with it only getting to attack minimally... Unless they fixed that semi-exploit?

    I vaguely remember relying on my Poliwrath (that fast Mud attack + Dynamic Punch) for shield burning / Persian killing against Giovanni before I built up my Lucario.

  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Oh, you need to start someone else and then switch in machamp maybe. There’s a bit of a pause when you switch in and you can start burning through shields.

    :so_raven:
Sign In or Register to comment.