As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, the next few Ultra Beasts are going to be exclusive to in-person Go Fests.

We'll get them eventually - Regigigas was originally released as a ticketed event and has since been made available to everyone multiple times. But we can probably forget about getting all the Ultra Beasts this season.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Well, the next few Ultra Beasts are going to be exclusive to in-person Go Fests.

We'll get them eventually - Regigigas was originally released as a ticketed event and has since been made available to everyone multiple times. But we can probably forget about getting all the Ultra Beasts this season.

I saw that. I wonder if they're intending to make some of the ultra beasts region exclusives or if this is more of an "early access" thing for these events. There's still that Go Fest thingy in August - curious if they'll release them here as part of that.

Oh, also forgot to post. Was doing some Timburr raids last night and somehow managed to get a weather boosted 100% Timburr :3 Of course, now that means I need to farm 150 more candy for the thing (I still have 50 left after evolving to Gurdurr) instead of being able to trade evolve :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Is it just me or have some of the Pokémon become ball sponges for anyone else? It's like certain ones (the original 4 starters especially) just shrug off excellent throws+blue/black balls+berries, despite having low CP and stats.

And I'm starting to suspect Niantic is nerfing Mewtwo catch rates if you initiate via remote pass. I've caught all the Mewtwos I've battled in person, but haven't caught a single one I initiated via remote. I catch them via remote if someone sends the invite, but not if I'm the one initiating using remote. Damnedest thing.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Like, more than normal?
    Starters have always been pains to catch.
    Are you throwing curve balls?
    Because berry+excellent+curve ball is what you should be aiming for.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Is it just me or have some of the Pokémon become ball sponges for anyone else? It's like certain ones (the original 4 starters especially) just shrug off excellent throws+blue/black balls+berries, despite having low CP and stats.

And I'm starting to suspect Niantic is nerfing Mewtwo catch rates if you initiate via remote pass. I've caught all the Mewtwos I've battled in person, but haven't caught a single one I initiated via remote. I catch them via remote if someone sends the invite, but not if I'm the one initiating using remote. Damnedest thing.

I think you're just hitting RNG. I've been remotely grinding Mewtwos for this event, and they're still easier to catch than the average legendary (as they were when they were only available in ex-raids). I've only missed a couple and I even caught a few with pinap berries. Granted I've finally gotten to where I can curveball reliably.

As for starters, yeah, they're a pain in the ass. They're really not worth messing with unless you've got balls to burn or you want to power up a specific one. Same with Pikachu. I got the platinum medal for catching them and I'm happy I never have to mess with that goddamn rodent ever again (outside of hats).

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    Like, more than normal?
    Starters have always been pains to catch.
    Are you throwing curve balls?
    Because berry+excellent+curve ball is what you should be aiming for.

I've got my curve throw down pat. I score curve excellent throws more often than not on the majority of Pokémon. Mewtwo is super easy to get excellent curves to boot.

Maybe it's just a bad string of luck that coincides with initiating using a remote pass, but it certainly feels intentional when all the others were caught. It probably doesn't help that I don't trust Niantic to not screw around with crap like that. But, to be fair, they earned that distrust.

Same with Pikachu. I got the platinum medal for catching them and I'm happy I never have to mess with that goddamn rodent ever again (outside of hats).

Yeah, I pretty much don't even bother with the electric rat anymore. Special releases only. But we've already established my fondness for Charmander, so I soldier on and rub my head when one busts out when it probably shouldn't.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'll be honest, this game gives out WAY too many potions in general. I am constantly throwing tons of them away. I don't even want regular and super potions because they don't heal hardly anything when I'm this high level and I am always sitting on ~200 hyper and max potions (each, usually still after throwing them away).

I find the opposite. As someone who very rarely raids, I am often very short on potions, and sometimes Revives, too. If I’ve had a run of Rocket battles or managed to place a lot of Pokémon in gyms recently, then I’m probably going to have a few in my storage that have fainted or aren’t completely healed. It’s usually not too hard to get some healing items, but I’m certainly not holding hundreds at a time.

Even when I was raiding a few times a week, I was usually still a bit short on hyper+ potions. It is a net positive gain, but unless you're grinding out like probably 6+ a week, you're not going to match the attrition from knocking down gyms/rockets.

Of course, since covid and changing my phone I've basically not raided at all, so I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel by now, and only put random mons I intend to melt down for candy into gyms

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2022

I know the main games have different catch rates for each pokemon with starters, evos and legendaries tending to have super shit rates (you will *often* hear people bitch about this in randomizers especially... you aren't catching that level 2 Arceus with a normal pokeball :P). I'm guessing PoGo wholesale pulled the gen 6 catch rates and applied them to their game during development, which is why this event it's harder to catch the starters (and starter evos especially) and Mewtwo. But it's not any different than it's always been. It may be more noticeable now due to the large number of Kanto starters and mid-tier starter evos spawning right now (the mid-tiers especially just have terrible catch rates).

Also in terms of remote raid passes - I haven't done like, a TON of raids but for like the maybe 8ish(?) Mewtwo remote raids I've done, I've caught every one (always just use a golden razz). It doesn't feel any harder than however many years ago when Mewtwo was still in EX raids and crap :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I went out today and tried some of the rocket leaders for the first time. Holy crap was I overthinking this. They are stupid easy. I did three to get my three 12k eggs, tho one was a dupe because I couldn't find Arlo for the life of me. I have one radar left so I'll probably just save that for him (once I have egg space again.. Not gonna waste a radar without getting an egg)

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Mewtwo get!

Man I wish I'd tried to get Kangaskhan when they were in mega raids. That one and the Legendary Birds are the only Gen Is I'm missing

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Oh, if you still need to evolve Pancham and haven't been able to catch enough dark-types to meet its evolution requirement, don't forget Deino is dark and will be abundant tomorrow.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Hydreigon with the exclusive move is also a very good (pve) dark attacker. And there are plenty of pokemon you can mega evolve to get more candy. (Lati@s, Gary, Charizard (only X), Ampharos, Houndoom, Altaria, Absol)

Overall looks like it can be a good comm day

• Options
    So did they actually drop the shiny rates? I got a really good Shiny Venusaur from that event, and the wife is really, really wanting a Shiny Hydra

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    So did they actually drop the shiny rates? I got a really good Shiny Venusaur from that event, and the wife is really, really wanting a Shiny Hydra

It's been varying a bit from event to event, but I've never not been able to catch several shinies. I know I got a few from the last month, and I didn't hit that one all that hard.

• Options
    Finally hit level 43. Oh man, what a dick move making literally everything tied to PvP bullshit to get to 44. I hate PvP :/ At least I still have an alt account I can grind this shit with but man that's gonna be annoying (like 60 battles? Yuck!).

Wonder if tomorrow will still have the same raids. Wouldn't mind grinding Timburr raids with 2x catch candy....

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    I’m still on level 40, but I’m not looking forward to some of the future requirements - anything involving raids or legendaries will really slow me down.

At least PVP is essentially free to enter - you can play over and over without needing potions or revives, unlike raiding.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I just hit 39, it took 15 million xp total to reach that point. It takes 5 million just to go from 39 -> 40

I started playing in 2018.

Definitely paying more attention to maximising XP now though. Last week I saved up a bunch of cheap trash mons to evolve during double-evo xp spotlight hour with a lucky egg, you can easily clear a few hundred thousand xp once a month doing that.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Finally hit level 43. Oh man, what a dick move making literally everything tied to PvP bullshit to get to 44. I hate PvP :/ At least I still have an alt account I can grind this shit with but man that's gonna be annoying (like 60 battles? Yuck!).

Wonder if tomorrow will still have the same raids. Wouldn't mind grinding Timburr raids with 2x catch candy....

You can grind them by battling the team leaders (you know, Spark, Candela, whatserface). No need for alt accounts or encounters with humans!

Though I'm at level 48, and I can tell you what is the absolute worst level requirement - get 50 lucky trades. So, unless you just happen to have 50 friends within reach that are already set up to be lucky, you're going to have to grind. I'm trading back and forth with my wife to do it. And you'll only get one lucky trade every 20 or so trades. Granted if you trade pokemon that at least one of you caught a long time ago the chances go way up, but yeah. Absolutely sucks. 20 lucky trades would have been plenty.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Anyway, woo, what a community day. The threshold for triggering Zwelious to lures was stupid easy, so for 2 1/2 hours I caught a truly ludicrous amount of those two-headed beasties. Including a weather boosted, 14 15 14 mon.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I only found a single shiny Deino, but it's nearly perfect (15, 15, 14) so hey, I'll take it!

Also remembered to make my Pancham my buddy and got him evolved. I think that's successful enough for me.

• Options
    So apparently the Zweilous 4-skull raid, with 26k CP and 15k HP, is more "bring many good Fairy types or this'll feel like a 6-skull" than a typical 3/4-skull raid. Anybody try one yet?

• Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular

The level 43 quests are literally why I made an alt account.

• Options
    Ruldar wrote: »

The level 43 quests are literally why I made an alt account.

You don't have to fight other players - you can beat up the team leaders solo under "training" in battle. That's how I did it.

• Options
    edited June 2022

You can grind them by battling the team leaders (you know, Spark, Candela, whatserface). No need for alt accounts or encounters with humans!

Though I'm at level 48, and I can tell you what is the absolute worst level requirement - get 50 lucky trades. So, unless you just happen to have 50 friends within reach that are already set up to be lucky, you're going to have to grind. I'm trading back and forth with my wife to do it. And you'll only get one lucky trade every 20 or so trades. Granted if you trade pokemon that at least one of you caught a long time ago the chances go way up, but yeah. Absolutely sucks. 20 lucky trades would have been plenty.

Not the last one as far as I'm aware. Plus I already have the alt account - I'd rather fight three 10 cp Ralts 60 times than something that actually might take a minute to kill :P But I looked and I'm only like halfway to 44 anyways XP-wise so there's no rush.

Also got my Gurdurr evolved to Conkeldurr this weekend.. woooo! Also went around last night on my alt account catching shit just so I could trade Venusaur/Charizard/Blastoise to my main for the event research thingy (oo boy, a Meltan). My alt actually got a god damn Shiny Blastoise from one of those research things. Also time I remember PoGo hates inaccurate clocks... for some reason (battery?) I had auto-time sync off on my alt phone and the clock was an hour behind. PoGo did *not* like that. It kept despawning everything until eventually it wouldn't even let me log in. Luckily I figured out the problem quick enough (feel like I've run into this in the past).

Also did Giovanni finally last night. Damn, ok he was hard (at least, Shadow Latias was hard.. the other two were easy). I finally stopped banging my head trying to get Dialga to work and switched to Mamoswine and was able to just *barely* squeak by a victory. No 12k eggs from Giovanni? Boooooo. I was specifically holding off until I had egg space :( Oh well. The Shadow Latias sucked too (like 1* or some garbage.. wish it had a min like raids). Oh and two of the first three 12k eggs I hatched were garbage. One was a Vullaby which was new for me, but then I got a Dieno (ugggggggg) and a friggin Absol. So boo. I'll have to build up some more and try again (wish I had gotten some during community day.. that hatch distance was nuts! Like 5k eggs with 0.8k distance or something absurd)

Edit: Oh, and I got 24 shiny Deino from community day :3 My brother texted me and with ~2000 candy he got exactly 0. That's nuts to me. I told him I'd trade him one next time I see him :3 I actually bought the research this time just to try it out. Kind of fun, if a tiny bit pointless (I mean, the rewards were like two Deinos and a Hydreigon... I could have gotten that fine on my own). But I might do it in the future just because those quests are actually a thing in PoGo I enjoy a lot (and it's only $1).

I'm excited for this event to finish now to see what megas show up in gyms after this. Now that I'm using Poke Genie I can actually do this shit and I'm hyped :3 (watch it go back to Mega Aerodactyl which I already got through persistent farming of the one research task that awarded 25 energy at a time :P)

Oh, and found a rando shiny Ditto yesterday. I was seriously about to ask on Silph Road if the pokemon it was disguised as would be shiny too and I never got around to it. TIL that no, it's not. I probably passed on so many god damn shiny Dittos on that shiny Ditto April Fools day thing....

Warlock82 on
  • Options
  • Options
    Seriously I'd rather they do a classic and bring back Pidgey.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Or at least have some good bonuses with the event. Give me like double stardust, then I might actually care. (and after I made my peace with giving them the extra $1 for the special research... I kinda don't feel like Staraptor is worth a $1...)

Edit: Ok, did see someone mention Starly's easy catch rate + 3x EXP might be nice. I can probably Gotcha this up and maybe actually hit 44.

Warlock82 on
  • Options

Or at least have some good bonuses with the event. Give me like double stardust, then I might actually care. (and after I made my peace with giving them the extra $1 for the special research... I kinda don't feel like Staraptor is worth a $1...)

Edit: Ok, did see someone mention Starly's easy catch rate + 3x EXP might be nice. I can probably Gotcha this up and maybe actually hit 44.

Yeah, even if the featured pokemon sucks the bonuses are nice and you get a reasonable pile of stuff for the research ticket.

But I kind of figured something like this was coming. While you were gone we got Fletchling day.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Yeah, even if the featured pokemon sucks the bonuses are nice and you get a reasonable pile of stuff for the research ticket.

But I kind of figured something like this was coming. While you were gone we got Fletchling day.

I mean, at least Talonflame is like the coolest of the early route birds :P But yeah, I probably should have expected this. Deino day was pretty cool so it stands to reason they'd follow it up with a lame one. Hopefully that means August's is good. (side note, I am super sad I missed Gabite day in hindsight :( Did they ever do a Riolu day?)

Pretty dumb they're trying the raid thing again, especially with *this.* Word of mouth I was seeing was that pretty much everyone hated Zweilous on the Deino day. There's gonna be literally no one doing this Staravia raids :P (it is bonkers to me that the evolved forms can't be shiny... who thought that was a good idea?)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    wtf is this starly hate staraptor is cool

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    wtf is this starly hate staraptor is cool

If this was the main games I might be more ok with it since Staraptor is pretty decent. But it kinda sucks in PoGo :P Also Starlys are EVERYWHERE atm. I think it'd be less lame if it wasn't something that was currently spawning en-masse. (honestly I just never understand why they even do community days for common pokemon... it feels like they should save them for cooler/rarer stuff and/or starters)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Won't shiny starly be new at least? I've never seen a shiny one in PoGo anyway, so I'm perfectly happy with a Starly community day!
    I'm less happy with them reducing the length of the community days, and then sliding the timeslots around though, I almost missed this months cos I assumed it would be the same three hours as the previous one! I have a host of other things to be doing on a weekend, so the 6 hour window was way more convenient for being able to dip in for an hour and grab a few shinies.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Won't shiny starly be new at least? I've never seen a shiny one in PoGo anyway, so I'm perfectly happy with a Starly community day!
    I'm less happy with them reducing the length of the community days, and then sliding the timeslots around though, I almost missed this months cos I assumed it would be the same three hours as the previous one! I have a host of other things to be doing on a weekend, so the 6 hour window was way more convenient for being able to dip in for an hour and grab a few shinies.

Yeah, it's new apparently. But I mean, they didn't have to wait for a community day to make it shiny :P

I totally agree though, I hate the 3 hour community days. Wish they'd just make them longer rather than trying all this weird 4* raid nonsense. It feels very much to me like Niantic not trusting its playerbase to, you know, not feel like they have to play the entire duration and pre-emptively policing undesired behavior (which I assume is the reason they made it short again... blah blah it's not healthy to play for six hours blah blah). It's like, even when they are 3 hours I don't play for the whole duration. But doesn't mean I like waking up at 10-11am :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options

Niantic gives entire players base "the bird"

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    For those interested in Battle League Fletchling day was actually pretty good - Talonflame is a common sight in the Great League.

Staraptor, though… never seen one.

I’d much prefer a longer window, but I quite like them moving the time around. My kids have got all kinds of stuff happening at weekends, and I can’t ever guarantee I’ll be free from 11-2 each day (or whatever). For the same reason I like that it’s sometimes Saturday, sometimes Sunday.

• Options

Yeah, it's new apparently. But I mean, they didn't have to wait for a community day to make it shiny :P

I totally agree though, I hate the 3 hour community days. Wish they'd just make them longer rather than trying all this weird 4* raid nonsense. It feels very much to me like Niantic not trusting its playerbase to, you know, not feel like they have to play the entire duration and pre-emptively policing undesired behavior (which I assume is the reason they made it short again... blah blah it's not healthy to play for six hours blah blah). It's like, even when they are 3 hours I don't play for the whole duration. But doesn't mean I like waking up at 10-11am :P

Niantic said the reason they shortened community days is because the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't play the whole time. Which tracks with the extended challenges catering to the hardcore. Sounds like they just want to make sure people can actually run into each other on community days, given their desire to make the game social.

• Options
    edited June 2022

Niantic said the reason they shortened community days is because the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't play the whole time. Which tracks with the extended challenges catering to the hardcore. Sounds like they just want to make sure people can actually run into each other on community days, given their desire to make the game social.

Ah yes, their stupid desire to spread covid :P (only half kidding) I swear every stupid decision they make is based around this stupid fantasy of people getting together and getting exercise and all that crap. Just once I wish they'd think of us poor anti-social introverts :P (I am still utterly shocked they actually listened to that petition after they originally reverted all the covid improvements - no lie, longer spin distances and remote raiding make the game infinitely more fun for me)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I've known about this for a while and can finally talk about it...

https://youtu.be/l39EaJe4WbY

I just...don't know what the point of this is going to be.

Also, Niantic is cutting 85-90 jobs (about 8% of their total employee count) and cancelling 4 projects in development. Looks like my wife is unaffected (doubt they'd lay off PGO people), so we should be fine.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Apparently it plays a lot like Pokemon Go? Bless 'em for trying.

I've been curious how all their non-Pokemon projects have been going. I know Harry Potter was a bit of a flameout.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I've known about this for a while and can finally talk about it...

https://youtu.be/l39EaJe4WbY

I just...don't know what the point of this is going to be.

Also, Niantic is cutting 85-90 jobs (about 8% of their total employee count) and cancelling 4 projects in development. Looks like my wife is unaffected (doubt they'd lay off PGO people), so we should be fine.

Yeah this feels like a bad idea that's going to fail. I mean, how is that gonna even work? Do you catch basketball players with basketballs? :P I'm kind of guessing maybe it's more "combat" focused where you can play little basketball matches with other people but I mean, I'm not quite sure there's interest in that. *shrug* (edit: Oh, the article says what it is and I guess, yeah it kind of is that... that... feels dumb)

Glad your wife isn't getting laid off tho! That totally sucks. It feels like they've gotta be making a ton of PoGo so why are they hemorrhaging jobs? (but I guess if they're cancelling four projects that's too many people to have sitting around twiddling their thumbs... I hope they're at least keeping SOME of that team to help, you know, fix some of the PoGo bugs that have been around for six years and never addressed :P)

Edit: Random thought - unlike Pokemon, Harry Potter and Pikmin, this is using the likenesses of real people. Just how expensive are the licensing rights going to be here? It sounds unsustainable IMO. Niantic isn't EA :P

Warlock82 on