As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

18182848687

Posts

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    My wife burned out on Go, and plays it less and less just the various things going back to pre covid days pushed her away.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I started using Poke Genie a few weeks ago and it was game changing for getting the raids done that I want to focus on.

    Warlock82
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

    I absolutely promise the only information you provide are your Pokemon Go name and friend code, nothing else. I know there's a lot of sketchy looking third-party apps but this one's tried and true. Especially since it has loads of other great tools like a typing chart.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    There are also discords and telegram channels and probably other avenues (subreddits? Fb groups?) to find remote raids.

    PoGo friend code: 7835 1672 4968
    cloudeagle
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

    I absolutely promise the only information you provide are your Pokemon Go name and friend code, nothing else. I know there's a lot of sketchy looking third-party apps but this one's tried and true. Especially since it has loads of other great tools like a typing chart.

    I absolutely promise that apps do not "ask" for the data they take. Like, I get your reassurances and I'm not that paranoid (mainly because every app scrapes absolutely every bit of data they can because data is king), it's more just "Do I really want one more app scraping and selling my data? Do I really care if they do? Does anything matter anymore? Do- ...ooh, a rhyhorn."

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

    I absolutely promise the only information you provide are your Pokemon Go name and friend code, nothing else. I know there's a lot of sketchy looking third-party apps but this one's tried and true. Especially since it has loads of other great tools like a typing chart.

    I absolutely promise that apps do not "ask" for the data they take. Like, I get your reassurances and I'm not that paranoid (mainly because every app scrapes absolutely every bit of data they can because data is king), it's more just "Do I really want one more app scraping and selling my data? Do I really care if they do? Does anything matter anymore? Do- ...ooh, a rhyhorn."

    I absolutely promise Poke Genie doesn't, unless they're lying to Google. :P (Check the "data safety" section)

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Why're you trying to steal my data, cloud?

    WHO DO YOU WORK FOR?! IS IT ROCKET? IS THIS GIOVANNI'S LATEST SCHEME? KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY PIKACHU!

    cloudeagleRuldarGnome-Interruptus
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

    I'll just say as someone who only started recently using it, it's been extremely great. And yeah, they don't ask for hardly any information. It's literally, "I want to raid Articuno", they put you in a queue, the queue pops with the friend code of the host that you need to add to your friends list (press button in app once you've sent the request), then wait for host to invite you. It's extremely easy. Like, I think I am raiding more now than I did when I used to play just because it's so easy to get setup in raids with this. It's honestly made the game infinitely more fun for me.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    ToxGnome-Interruptus
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

    I'll just say as someone who only started recently using it, it's been extremely great. And yeah, they don't ask for hardly any information. It's literally, "I want to raid Articuno", they put you in a queue, the queue pops with the friend code of the host that you need to add to your friends list (press button in app once you've sent the request), then wait for host to invite you. It's extremely easy. Like, I think I am raiding more now than I did when I used to play just because it's so easy to get setup in raids with this. It's honestly made the game infinitely more fun for me.

    Hosting raids is only slightly more complex. You take a picture of the raid boss, hit submit, and you'll get five friend requests to accept. Once everyone's ready you have to hit confirm to notify them.

    It's also a great way to get a ton of friends and grind gifts - not only do you get loads of items, but becoming best friends nets you 100,000 XP. Double that if you time it with a lucky egg. At this point I've netted close to 5 million XP just from gift grinding alone.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    Huh... HMMMMMMMMM....


    I do believe that is a Vivillon I see :3 (also who is black girl with glasses, she's cute :3)

    (but yes, hype! They did the 666 thing after all :D Someone on Silph road totally called it.. also god damn you Home GTS, give me the rest of the Furfrou cuts before Vivillons become common AF :P I've already gotten like five of them)

    Edit: Oh, I totally didn't notice Mimikyu, Charjabug and Cosmog on there. Not particularly unsurprising but I sorta figured Cosmog would be further off. *shrug* (Mimikyu was 100% always coming for October... it's the most obvious thing ever). I'm actually weirdly hyped for the Grubbin line. Vikavolt is actually a pretty cool Pokemon. I gained a new appreciation for him in my recent Ultra Moon playthrough (seriously that thing had amazing coverage and hit pretty dang hard)

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Huh. Are we getting more human characters?

    And don't get too excited just yet on the new Pokemon - the 5th anniversary poster featured one of the Mega Mewtwos, and we still haven't gotten them.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Huh. Are we getting more human characters?

    And don't get too excited just yet on the new Pokemon - the 5th anniversary poster featured one of the Mega Mewtwos, and we still haven't gotten them.

    It seems that way, unless this is related to more character customization (which would be awesome but I doubt it). I do kinda wonder if maybe they're adding a second "leader" (or equivalent) for each team tho, since it seems like there's one character next to each of the team leaders (with Rhi maybe just slotting in to Mystic?) and they kinda sorta match the color schemes? (except burly guy is maybe more yellow than red, but he's also mostly hidden behind a Pokemon).

    And it's possible Mega Mewtwo was planned but got side-lined, especially since the Mega Update came out recently. They may have decided to focus on that before devoting more resources on Mega Mewtwo. Just a guess though *shrug*

    But assuming that's not the case, I'd say maybe the same could be true for Cosmog but I bet we'll still get the other Pokemon featured. There's nothing too crazy shown on there beyond that one :P

    Edit: How am I just now noticing Dusk Form Lycanroc?

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    cloudeagle
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Kinda salty that it looks like I won't be getting Articuno this week, which makes me less likely to want to bother with the others, which makes me want to stop playing Go altogether.

    Really sucks because my wife's gotten a lot more into over the last couple of months

    Poke Genie can't help?

    Haven't tried it because I don't think about it because I generally don't trust third party apps and also we've been raiding with my BIL and his wife, but I may need to give it a shot

    I absolutely promise the only information you provide are your Pokemon Go name and friend code, nothing else. I know there's a lot of sketchy looking third-party apps but this one's tried and true. Especially since it has loads of other great tools like a typing chart.

    I absolutely promise that apps do not "ask" for the data they take. Like, I get your reassurances and I'm not that paranoid (mainly because every app scrapes absolutely every bit of data they can because data is king), it's more just "Do I really want one more app scraping and selling my data? Do I really care if they do? Does anything matter anymore? Do- ...ooh, a rhyhorn."

    I absolutely promise Poke Genie doesn't, unless they're lying to Google. :P (Check the "data safety" section)

    As far as I can tell, it's basically one of those "website in a wrapper" apps, which are generally as safe as whatever wrapper they use.

    Either way, I got an Articuno and Google's been giving me ads exclusively in Spanish for years so at this point maybe they should steal a bit more of my data.

  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Another benefit of Poke Genie is that if you do the work to list your high level pokemon in its database it will give you raid party suggestions and search strings to find them in-game. It turned me into someone who for lack of deeper knowledge commonly uses the suggested list to someone with much more optimized play.

  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah okay PokeGenie is good.

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Pansear are in the wild for this event!

    Also, beating up a team leader also works for the "battle another trainer with your buddy Pokemon" task. Just choose "battle" and scroll all the way down to "training." You'll squeeze out another buddy heart by doing that, too.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Weeee, time to farm some Tyranitar and Metagross raids too :3 All my Metagross suck, maybe I can actually get one with a good IV. Still absolute garbage that they can't be shiny when shiny versions DO exist but only if you catch a Larvitar/Beldum.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Weeee, time to farm some Tyranitar and Metagross raids too :3 All my Metagross suck, maybe I can actually get one with a good IV. Still absolute garbage that they can't be shiny when shiny versions DO exist but only if you catch a Larvitar/Beldum.

    Damn Metagross is a nice shiny. Feels a bit "Steel/Electric" but it's very cool

    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Weeee, time to farm some Tyranitar and Metagross raids too :3 All my Metagross suck, maybe I can actually get one with a good IV. Still absolute garbage that they can't be shiny when shiny versions DO exist but only if you catch a Larvitar/Beldum.

    Damn Metagross is a nice shiny. Feels a bit "Steel/Electric" but it's very cool

    Yeah, unfortunately that was like the one community day that decided to screw me over too. Only ever found one shiny for it. It must have a low shiny rate (that while boosted for community day is probably still lower than your typical community day) along with having a terrible catch rate making it hard for Gotcha to grab rando shinies :/

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Anybody else having trouble getting snapshots to count?

  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Anybody else having trouble getting snapshots to count?

    I found that wild Pokémon seem to only count for the tasks that actually ask for wild Pokémon. If it just says “take a snapshot of a Normal Pokémon”, then it has to be one from your storage.

    cloudeagleWarlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    Anybody else having trouble getting snapshots to count?

    I found that wild Pokémon seem to only count for the tasks that actually ask for wild Pokémon. If it just says “take a snapshot of a Normal Pokémon”, then it has to be one from your storage.

    From what I saw on Silph Road it's this. Niantic does a *horrible* job at labeling these tasks correctly.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Tox
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    I'm glad there's a raids path so I don't have to touch the pvp bullshit :P Wonder why they don't have full teams for the Rocket Leaders yet tho.

    Also side note - why the hell are the queues for Metagross in PokeGenie so insanely large? Everything else is reasonable and these are like 1500+. Is no one doing Metagross raids or something? I mean, I don't mind doing Tyranitar but I actually have good IVs for that one so it's more for candy than anything. But all my Metagross are like 70%ish range so I wanna get some good ones :P

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Magell
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    I'm glad there's a raids path so I don't have to touch the pvp bullshit :P

    You might have mentioned this before, but is there a reason you don’t like PvP? It took me a while to get into it, but after some experimenting I kind of like it now. It’s frustrating to lose regularly, but it’s basically a free source of stardust, even if you don’t ever win. You don’t need to heal like you do with raids, so taking part doesn’t cost anything. And then eventually your rewards start to include raid bosses, which is how I’ve got things like Kyurem and Heatran, and recently a bunch of Mewtwos.

    (Yes, getting to the top ranks means spending dust/candies, but if you’ve got decent raiding teams then you’re probably nearly there.)

    Edit: obviously I’m not saying you have to like PvP! You might just not like the vibe, that’s cool! But the benefits are sometimes great, so I was interested.

    pezgen on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    I'm glad there's a raids path so I don't have to touch the pvp bullshit :P Wonder why they don't have full teams for the Rocket Leaders yet tho.

    Also side note - why the hell are the queues for Metagross in PokeGenie so insanely large? Everything else is reasonable and these are like 1500+. Is no one doing Metagross raids or something? I mean, I don't mind doing Tyranitar but I actually have good IVs for that one so it's more for candy than anything. But all my Metagross are like 70%ish range so I wanna get some good ones :P

    Mainly because no one really posts raids for sub 4* stuff. And honestly, nearly all 3* raids and below are absolutely soloable if you're reasonably prepared, even the ones that were formerly 4*.

    Except Shuckle. Shuckle raids are a trap.
    pezgen wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    I'm glad there's a raids path so I don't have to touch the pvp bullshit :P

    You might have mentioned this before, but is there a reason you don’t like PvP? It took me a while to get into it, but after some experimenting I kind of like it now. It’s frustrating to lose regularly, but it’s basically a free source of stardust, even if you don’t ever win. You don’t need to heal like you do with raids, so taking part doesn’t cost anything. And then eventually your rewards start to include raid bosses, which is how I’ve got things like Kyurem and Heatran, and recently a bunch of Mewtwos.

    (Yes, getting to the top ranks means spending dust/candies, but if you’ve got decent raiding teams then you’re probably nearly there.)

    Edit: obviously I’m not saying you have to like PvP! You might just not like the vibe, that’s cool! But the benefits are sometimes great, so I was interested.

    It helps if you realize that Warlock82 is basically hate-playing this. :P

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    pezgen wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

    I'm glad there's a raids path so I don't have to touch the pvp bullshit :P

    You might have mentioned this before, but is there a reason you don’t like PvP? It took me a while to get into it, but after some experimenting I kind of like it now. It’s frustrating to lose regularly, but it’s basically a free source of stardust, even if you don’t ever win. You don’t need to heal like you do with raids, so taking part doesn’t cost anything. And then eventually your rewards start to include raid bosses, which is how I’ve got things like Kyurem and Heatran, and recently a bunch of Mewtwos.

    (Yes, getting to the top ranks means spending dust/candies, but if you’ve got decent raiding teams then you’re probably nearly there.)

    Edit: obviously I’m not saying you have to like PvP! You might just not like the vibe, that’s cool! But the benefits are sometimes great, so I was interested.

    I just don't like it. I dunno. Don't like it in mainline Pokemon either (or really most games). I don't really know why (I mean, except in some games where there's actually communication with the other player(s), then I know exactly why and it's largely because other people are assholes :P) but I just have never really liked it. Would rather face a more predictable AI than a real person *shrug* (but specifically for PoGo I enjoy catching waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than battling overall too, even if it's PvE battling...)
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It helps if you realize that Warlock82 is basically hate-playing this. :P

    And this is only half true :P To be fair, I have always enjoyed the catching part of this game (maybe less so the running away, that can be frustrating and bullshit, but overall I like catching stuff). Honestly my #1 issue with the game has always been the way Niantic runs it. Decisions along the vein of initially removing the Covid QoL stuff for example. Recent examples being the recent spamming of the Kanto starters, especially Mega Charizard twice in a row, the crappy new boxes in the shop, etc. Just stuff like that frustrates me when I feel like another company could run this game so much better.

    But as I said before, since coming back I actually have been having a lot of fun. Remote raiding is great and eliminates most of the frustrations of in-person raiding (coordination, travel time, limited by what eggs spawn, etc). I just wish Niantic didn't look at things like this with disdain because it's not "being super social and exercising"
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Mainly because no one really posts raids for sub 4* stuff. And honestly, nearly all 3* raids and below are absolutely soloable if you're reasonably prepared, even the ones that were formerly 4*.

    I kinda wondered if it was maybe this, but it's weird because every single other 3* raid has fine queues. They aren't instant like Zapdos but they are like, at most, 100-200, not 1500+. It's literally only Metagross. And maybe it's cuz he's easy to solo? I'm not sure. But that doesn't help me when I don't see any metagrosses up locally to even attempt to solo :P (also it's hot, I wanna raid in the nice AC indoors :3)

    P.S. - speaking of Zapdos, holy shit fuck his movement patterns. I forgot how much I hated this back in the day. He's by far the most annoying to actually hit with the damn ball

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 8
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Mainly because no one really posts raids for sub 4* stuff. And honestly, nearly all 3* raids and below are absolutely soloable if you're reasonably prepared, even the ones that were formerly 4*.

    Silph Road certainly seems to disagree, at least for Metagross
    9cvdjdmybhh0.png
    j2uahea7os9h.png

    Tox on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    That definitely looks like what I remember from the old days, but I haven't raided Metagross in years so I didn't know if it was still true :P I do remember him being super easy to duo.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    And this is only half true :P To be fair, I have always enjoyed the catching part of this game (maybe less so the running away, that can be frustrating and bullshit, but overall I like catching stuff). Honestly my #1 issue with the game has always been the way Niantic runs it. Decisions along the vein of initially removing the Covid QoL stuff for example. Recent examples being the recent spamming of the Kanto starters, especially Mega Charizard twice in a row, the crappy new boxes in the shop, etc. Just stuff like that frustrates me when I feel like another company could run this game so much better.

    Eh, I'm really not sure the problem is Niantic. This type of game was always going have a strong emphasis on playing in groups. And hey, they caved on the pokestop distance, that was the big thing.

    Honestly they may not have had much of a choice on the Kanto starters lately - their card game crossover pretty much had to be tied to the release of the card game, which is heavy on the Kanto. And how could they not do an anniversary event without Kanto starters? Though to be fair it's focusing on all the starters from all gens. Well, kind of. I hate catching those bastards, so it's nice that they don't spawn all that stuff and are largely limited to research.

    Though the new boxes are kinda crappy, especially without the packs of incubators. But they've been experimenting a lot lately, and this is probably part of that. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

    Thinking about all the stuff they do things are running pretty well all things considered. Yeah, we'd all like every community day to be some new awesome mon, but there's a finite amount of mon and they've got to keep us playing in some way. They're managing the drip-feed pretty well I'd say.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Magell
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    And this is only half true :P To be fair, I have always enjoyed the catching part of this game (maybe less so the running away, that can be frustrating and bullshit, but overall I like catching stuff). Honestly my #1 issue with the game has always been the way Niantic runs it. Decisions along the vein of initially removing the Covid QoL stuff for example. Recent examples being the recent spamming of the Kanto starters, especially Mega Charizard twice in a row, the crappy new boxes in the shop, etc. Just stuff like that frustrates me when I feel like another company could run this game so much better.

    Eh, I'm really not sure the problem is Niantic. This type of game was always going have a strong emphasis on playing in groups. And hey, they caved on the pokestop distance, that was the big thing.

    Honestly they may not have had much of a choice on the Kanto starters lately - their card game crossover pretty much had to be tied to the release of the card game, which is heavy on the Kanto. And how could they not do an anniversary event without Kanto starters? Though to be fair it's focusing on all the starters from all gens. Well, kind of. I hate catching those bastards, so it's nice that they don't spawn all that stuff and are largely limited to research.

    Though the new boxes are kinda crappy, especially without the packs of incubators. But they've been experimenting a lot lately, and this is probably part of that. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

    Thinking about all the stuff they do things are running pretty well all things considered. Yeah, we'd all like every community day to be some new awesome mon, but there's a finite amount of mon and they've got to keep us playing in some way. They're managing the drip-feed pretty well I'd say.

    I know that and all, but it definitely feels like Niantic goes out of their way to push people towards this kind of gameplay and away from non-social stuff (to the point of actively hampering things). Like I said, they initially wanted to remove all those Covid QoL improvements. There's literally no reason to do that! You're deliberately taking away features to make your game worse just to push people to play it a certain way. I'm still surprised they relented on that, but of course they did remove remote raid passes from the free boxes :/ (and don't get me wrong, some of the blame here is on me too for probably projecting a bit too much at times, but sometimes it can really feel like they're saying "Stop having fun playing the way you like, you're playing our game wrong!")

    As for the Kanto stuff, the TCG event was fine. I totally get that and why they'd feature the Kanto starters there. I actually have no gripe with that (and I haven't been back *that* long but I don't think they've done a Kanto starter event type thing for awhile before that anyways). The problem is immediately after that finished they did the Kanto starters AGAIN when that TCG event had already been running for two weeks. It's just like, how can you not see people hate that? Doing the same pokemon over and over is not fun. The anniversary research part is fine - people like starters and you can get all of them that way and there's no problem with the Kanto starters being one of the research tasks (if you don't want em you can delete it). But they shouldn't be spawning in the wild again and the evos shouldn't be clogging up 3* raids. That's just dumb and a little frustrating. All of that said, I will say there's a decent amount of other spawns so they haven't been as absurdly common as they were during the TCG event. So at least that's good.

    Ironically I have weirdly made my peace with Starly community day. Starly has an ugly shiny (seriously, it's like they put a sepia filter over it and called it a day) and is kind of garbage for gameplay, but ever since I heard the XP + easy catch rate thing I've been a little hyped. Also with all the gen 4 stuff happening lately in the mainline series I'm probably in more of a Starly mood now than any other time :P

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    PreacherGnome-Interruptus
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Realistically they should have timed the TCG crossover to be the anniversary event, but I can only imagine how little control they had over that sort of thing.

    Warlock82
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    Tox wrote: »
    Realistically they should have timed the TCG crossover to be the anniversary event, but I can only imagine how little control they had over that sort of thing.

    Yeah, I don't really blame them for that. They were probably beholden to whoever handles the TCG and their release dates (I'm sure they wanted the event to correspond with the new Go-inspired TCG series release). Honestly, they could have just left Kanto out of the anniversary stuff :P I mean, I love Kanto and everything but even I'm getting sick of it being shoved in our faces all the time :P I mean, heck, it's the sixth anniversary, do a bunch of gen 6 pokemon instead :P (I know they did the gen 6 starters which I actually approve of because I still needed candy for those :P)

    Edit: Totally unrelated but linking this cuz it feels super helpful for this weekend and which Pokemon you might want to prioritize getting the community day moves on:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/vu5rvu/analysis_6th_anniversary_event_community_day/

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    And this is only half true :P To be fair, I have always enjoyed the catching part of this game (maybe less so the running away, that can be frustrating and bullshit, but overall I like catching stuff). Honestly my #1 issue with the game has always been the way Niantic runs it. Decisions along the vein of initially removing the Covid QoL stuff for example. Recent examples being the recent spamming of the Kanto starters, especially Mega Charizard twice in a row, the crappy new boxes in the shop, etc. Just stuff like that frustrates me when I feel like another company could run this game so much better.

    Eh, I'm really not sure the problem is Niantic. This type of game was always going have a strong emphasis on playing in groups. And hey, they caved on the pokestop distance, that was the big thing.

    Honestly they may not have had much of a choice on the Kanto starters lately - their card game crossover pretty much had to be tied to the release of the card game, which is heavy on the Kanto. And how could they not do an anniversary event without Kanto starters? Though to be fair it's focusing on all the starters from all gens. Well, kind of. I hate catching those bastards, so it's nice that they don't spawn all that stuff and are largely limited to research.

    Though the new boxes are kinda crappy, especially without the packs of incubators. But they've been experimenting a lot lately, and this is probably part of that. Hopefully they'll be back soon.

    Thinking about all the stuff they do things are running pretty well all things considered. Yeah, we'd all like every community day to be some new awesome mon, but there's a finite amount of mon and they've got to keep us playing in some way. They're managing the drip-feed pretty well I'd say.

    I know that and all, but it definitely feels like Niantic goes out of their way to push people towards this kind of gameplay and away from non-social stuff (to the point of actively hampering things). Like I said, they initially wanted to remove all those Covid QoL improvements. There's literally no reason to do that! You're deliberately taking away features to make your game worse just to push people to play it a certain way. I'm still surprised they relented on that, but of course they did remove remote raid passes from the free boxes :/ (and don't get me wrong, some of the blame here is on me too for probably projecting a bit too much at times, but sometimes it can really feel like they're saying "Stop having fun playing the way you like, you're playing our game wrong!")

    As for the Kanto stuff, the TCG event was fine. I totally get that and why they'd feature the Kanto starters there. I actually have no gripe with that (and I haven't been back *that* long but I don't think they've done a Kanto starter event type thing for awhile before that anyways). The problem is immediately after that finished they did the Kanto starters AGAIN when that TCG event had already been running for two weeks. It's just like, how can you not see people hate that? Doing the same pokemon over and over is not fun. The anniversary research part is fine - people like starters and you can get all of them that way and there's no problem with the Kanto starters being one of the research tasks (if you don't want em you can delete it). But they shouldn't be spawning in the wild again and the evos shouldn't be clogging up 3* raids. That's just dumb and a little frustrating. All of that said, I will say there's a decent amount of other spawns so they haven't been as absurdly common as they were during the TCG event. So at least that's good.

    Ironically I have weirdly made my peace with Starly community day. Starly has an ugly shiny (seriously, it's like they put a sepia filter over it and called it a day) and is kind of garbage for gameplay, but ever since I heard the XP + easy catch rate thing I've been a little hyped. Also with all the gen 4 stuff happening lately in the mainline series I'm probably in more of a Starly mood now than any other time :P

    But... they reversed themselves and reinstituted the pokestop distance? Man, you hold a grudge. If nothing else this should show that they're willing to listen to the community.

    And yes, Kanto starters, we get it. You've mentioned it... a few times. But have some perspective! They'll go away soon enough and be replaced by something else. Plus, you've got Metagross to grind. I mean, I've mentioned I hate catching starters. And now, at least 1/3rd of the field research is catching starters. I'd much rather be catching stuff for shinies or earning stardust. So yeah, for me personally, it's not great! And so, my frustration is... about a 1 on a 10-point scale. Yeah, it's cutting down on what I personally like, but it'll be gone soon enough.

    I mean, this probably isn't your intention, but the way you post it really, really gives the impression you're hate-playing this game.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 8
    I know you probably don't mean to, but just so you're aware, sometimes some of the stuff you say comes off as very, like ... idk this isn't D&/D, not everything has to be a debate and not everyone has to be proven wrong.

    It's just very dismissive sometimes. "Actually with reasonable effort it's easy" cool, tell me you think I'm dogshit at the game without telling me.

    People are allowed to not like stuff. People are allowed to engage with stuff that they get some enjoyment from, while wishing they got far, far more. You don't have to defend PGO's honor. It's not that deep.

    Tox on
    PreacherFiatil
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    To be very, very clear: I don't think you do it on purpose, I think you're just enthusiastic and like the game.

    It's just a vibe

  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    Tox wrote: »
    I know you probably don't mean to, but just so you're aware, sometimes some of the stuff you say comes off as very, like ... idk this isn't D&/D, not everything has to be a debate and not everyone has to be proven wrong.

    It's just very dismissive sometimes. "Actually with reasonable effort it's easy" cool, tell me you think I'm dogshit at the game without telling me.

    People are allowed to not like stuff. People are allowed to engage with stuff that they get some enjoyment from, while wishing they got far, far more. You don't have to defend PGO's honor. It's not that deep.

    Funny, some comments also come across as people trying very hard to be angry at the game and Niantic when I try to post something that people might like, so I know the feeling.

    Never mind that I said I hate catching starters and this event isn't for me, but whatever.

    And I apologize if I sounded condescending, I truly do. But - this isn't like people saying Dark Souls isn't actually hard. It's Pokemon Go - there's strategies that can make things much easier. I mean, Poke Genie made things vastly easier for you, right? If there's anything specific that you're having problems with that I can offer some suggestions on, let me know.

    Edit: With Metagross, all you really need are a squad of 6 strong dark, fire, ghost, or ground mon leveled up to 25-30 or so, and you'll be fine. And if you specifically said you struggled with Metagross I promise I wouldn't tell you you're doing it wrong. You posting that just kinda came across like you were... trying to prove me wrong. :P And really, I was just trying to be encouraging. Despite the graphic 3* raids are tuned pretty fairly, I promise.

    Except Shuckle. Fuck that thing.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Never mind that I said I hate catching starters and this event isn't for me, but whatever.

    And I apologize if I sounded condescending

    ...dawg...

Sign In or Register to comment.