As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kana wrote: »
    if you're that sensitive to even the hintiest hints of non-story spoilers, you may just not want to be in this thread at all? Cuz like... Vague info like that is going to be all over the place on every page...

You can be not up to that part but still playing it and wanting to discuss the game. Threads aren’t just for people who have beaten the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm so glad Sindri is a thing they put in the game.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I like the opening to the boss fight after meeting Sindri:
    Ogre's trying to bite Kratos' arm off, Boy stabs him in the eye, then you look around to see you're surrounded:
    Kratos: "Ready yourself."
    No 'get back and let me handle this', just 'right, we are going to kill all of these fools'.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    if you're that sensitive to even the hintiest hints of non-story spoilers, you may just not want to be in this thread at all? Cuz like... Vague info like that is going to be all over the place on every page...

You can be not up to that part but still playing it and wanting to discuss the game. Threads aren’t just for people who have beaten the game.

The issue isn't "don't go into a thread if you haven't beaten the game", it's "don't go into a thread if your definition of spoilers is massively more strict than everybody else's."

Typically stuff like minor mechanics, "there's a cool thing if you do X", and (non-hidden) character or area names are not considered spoilers, but I have (rarely) seen people get angry at all three of those. If you want no spoilers to that extent, yeah, discussing the game will be impossible before you beat it.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    Sindri is hilarious and I'm happy every time I see him in a new location.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    100%'d the Wildwoods and Riverpass areas. These ravens are going to be the end of me...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Brok's first Favor spoiler
    "Well, I guess we can go back and tell Brok what happened to his friend."

"No. We're going to fight it."

"But why? I thought you said you didn't care? Why do you want to fight it now?"

"Because you're scared of it."

I really love the interactions between these two.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Okay, I know I was excited about how big the map was but
    Realms? Now the map can be duplicated nine times with different layout/themes to each one?
    Wtf, game!? How are you doing this?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Okay, I know I was excited about how big the map was but
    Realms? Now the map can be duplicated nine times with different layout/themes to each one?
    Wtf, game!? How are you doing this?

Well,
    The realms range from kinda small to decently sized but they're definitely not as large as Midgard, and three of the realm towers aren't accessible in this game(the ones that say "will never work"). But that still leaves a pretty large amount of real estate to explore.

And they're all gorgeous.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    FYI, there's now an option to increase text size. It's under the accessibility option.

Weirdly it doesn't affect all text (Anything dealing with weapons, crafting, runes, etc remains the same) which makes me think that may not be fixeable, but the bestiary and journal sections are a huge improvement.

• Options
    Speaking of accessibility options, all glory to the Barlog for including the option to change button tap QTEs to hold the button ala Uncharted 4. It's a little thing, but very appreciated. The same goes for one button press chisel doors.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Alternatively, people could follow the rules of the thread and keep things behind spoilers. Dude literally has something unspoiled for something post-credits. That's pretty shitty.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    What controls have people been using?

I'm doing the classic square+triangle for attack and circle for dodge.

• Options

Alternatively, people could follow the rules of the thread and keep things behind spoilers. Dude literally has something unspoiled for something post-credits. That's pretty shitty.

Again, I didn't post any information that could reasonably be called a spoiler.
    What controls have people been using?

I'm doing the classic square+triangle for attack and circle for dodge.

Ooh dang... I should've looked at the control schemes when I started the game. I eventually got used to the default, but those attack buttons would've been way better.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Did we ever get an official ruling whether you could backtrack to the areas pre-lake before the end of the game?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I did notice the black bars on the sides and tops of my screen, but that was supposed to be fixed in 1.11. Do I need to do something special to fix that or am I stuck with it?

• Options

‘There is a thing post-credits’ is what is being claimed at a spoiler. If there’s no reasonable way to infer what ‘thing’ is based on what is said, I don’t think that fits under the ‘reasonable spoiler’ criteria.

Flagging spoilers is also recommended, so that people don’t accidentally click on anything they haven’t seen yet, but under these rules, the spoiler tagging, would count as spoilers themselves, so you can’t really have an actual discussion of the story using those metrics. I can appreciate that some people want to go into everything completely blind, but at that point, staying away from the thread might be the most prudent option.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Did we ever get an official ruling whether you could backtrack to the areas pre-lake before the end of the game?

Should be able too, after a certain point in the story but before the credits roll
    proper fast travel opens up. Also you get to a point where you can climb up to the Riverpass area through the witch's cave. Should be able to backtrack through there to the Wildwoods.

Also, something that was never cleared up by the end of the game
    Who blew the horn to summon the snake? When Atreus falls ill and you take him to the witch's cave, the horn blows and the water level lowers the last time, but it's not addressed after that
    At least, I don't remember anyone talking about it.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I'm gonna go with yes.
    I just know that around the middle of the game you return there as part of the story so it would seem there must be some path that opens up then. I'm not quite at that part myself but I know I will be soon and I am no where near the end of the game.

• Options

Yes.
    As mentioned before, fast travel unlocks later in the game, and you register the travel point that goes to the starting area as part of a story quest.

There's also a sealed door in the starting area and it would make no sense not to let you go back to that once you can open them.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Yes.
    As mentioned before, fast travel unlocks later in the game, and you register the travel point that goes to the starting area as part of a story quest.

There's also a sealed door in the starting area and it would make no sense not to let you go back to that once you can open them.

Oh that’s true, I forgot about that last thing.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I did notice the black bars on the sides and tops of my screen, but that was supposed to be fixed in 1.11. Do I need to do something special to fix that or am I stuck with it?

You have to go into System Settings on your PS4
    To fix the God of War not full screen issue, you’re going to need to head to the console’s System Settings page. If you’re currently in the middle of a game, press the middle PlayStation button on your controller and scroll along to System Settings.

Once there, click System Settings, go to Sound and Screen and, once you’ve pressed that, go to Display Area Settings.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/383901-god-war-not-full-screen-fix-black-bars

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    For postgame
    Where do you find weapon upgrade materials? I need one more to get the axe to rank 6, which I assume is max, and I only have the blades at rank 3

I'm terrified that the answer is Muspelheim...

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can I assume this already made its way to this thread?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

‘There is a thing post-credits’ is what is being claimed at a spoiler. If there’s no reasonable way to infer what ‘thing’ is based on what is said, I don’t think that fits under the ‘reasonable spoiler’ criteria.

Flagging spoilers is also recommended, so that people don’t accidentally click on anything they haven’t seen yet, but under these rules, the spoiler tagging, would count as spoilers themselves, so you can’t really have an actual discussion of the story using those metrics. I can appreciate that some people want to go into everything completely blind, but at that point, staying away from the thread might be the most prudent option.

Christ, it spoils the fact that
    you can indeed return home which was not a foregone conclusion to me in playing the game right now.

Instead of arguing about how much of a non-spoiler it is why not just listen to the people that are saying it's a spoiler and err on the side of caution for a game that's been out 3 days?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Nevermind, I don't need to be antagonistic like that.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Wonder why Kratos grew a beard but stayed bald. Love the rest of his new design.

Kind of wish he had went full stereotypical viking and looked like some sort of shaggy marauder.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    So, in the upcoming (already here?) photo mode, you can make Kratos smile. It's... unsettling

U7EqDbX.jpg

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Maybe he's.... actually bald?

Something something one punch man.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Okay the ending made me tear up. Everything about the ending moments of the game and right after are just perfect. Guess I'll try those ridiculous extra difficult Muspelheim trials. I'm going to save all of the "find all X" trophies for my second playthrough which I'll be starting immediately after I finish up a couple other end game trophies. I'm really glad the game lets you make lots of save files. I definitely regret not saving one for the ending.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So, my update:

Went to Best Buy at 11am on Friday, thinking there was almost zero chance of getting a bundle. Some other dude was there like 5 minutes ahead of mat asking the same question and the guy helping him (us) got confused and gave me mine first. It turns out they had over two dozen of the boxes in The Back (tm) that were sold on a first-come-first-served basis. Maybe I got someone's pre-order. (Who knows with BB.)
    mjdifentv20t.jpg
    Spent the better part of the afternoon hooking everything up and transferring all of my stuff from the old OG PS4 to the new Grey Pro. I left the PSVR not connected so I get HDR vido now for the first time. It's nice.

Played for about 4 hours on "balanced". Maybe I'm just too old for these kinds of games, but the starting combat is HARD. I can't even imagine what it is like on the higher difficulties. The block/parry move feels useless. I can press L1 to unfurl a shield, but in combat it doesn't seem to do anything unless I'm just randomly mashing it and then maybe one time in four I get a slowdown animation that pushes me too far away to counterattack.

I gave up on the game when I got to the first shop. I upgraded my axe a bit and then immediately died in the "test the new equipment" fight. Five times in a row. Very frustrating. Clearly doing something wrong.

Didn't play at all on Saturday. After the ass kicking this game gave me I just couldn't muster the incentive to go back for more.

Sunday there was a grassfire somewhere and the smell of smoke in the air had me freaked out. It's been only six months since the wildfire that burned my entire neighborhood to the ground and it's a little triggery to have smoke in the air. Finally calmed myself down enough to play a bit more in the evening and after 10 hours, I managed to get to the big lake.

I'm relying primarily on dodging in combat now and doing a lot better. The block/parry is beyond me, so if there comes a point in the game where it is vital to proceed, I'm likely going to be stuck there. I did the first mini-quest at the lake and found a black portal the spat out a "purple" enemy that one-shotted me. Serves me right for exploring I guess.

I'm likely in the minority, but Kratos and Atreus aren't really grabbing me as characters. I am enjoying the world building and the secondary characters a lot. The combat is HARD! It's almost too hard, even on a relatively low difficulty setting. Maybe I just suck at games! On the other hand, I see a lot of complaints about the text size, which boggles me. I sit a solid 14 feet away from my TV and wear fairly high prescription glasses, and yet the text seems perfectly readable to me.

Overall, its fun but I'm not making time for it.

EDIT: a word

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    I did the first mini-quest at the lake and found a black portal the spat out a "purple" enemy that one-shotted me. Serves me right for exploring I guess.

Oh good! I'm not the only one. Just a quick note, not all voids spit out enemies.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I've got a lot of problems with the story.

The first, and biggest, is that this doesn't feel like Kratos to me. He doesn't feel like the murderous master of mayhem that essentially left all of Greece in a smoldering ruin.

I also find myself not giving any shits about his kid. The whole father/son dynamic just doesn't do it for me. Mostly because I don't see the dad as being real Kratos.

And not knowing anything at all about the wife has left me very "who cares" about this whole quest to scatter her ashes on the mountain. Maybe I'll find out more about her later. I don't know. But so far, as far as I've gotten in maybe 3-4 hours of playing, I don't know anything about her, and that really makes the whole story hard to swallow.

Kratos is not the sentimental type. Especially since, as you might recall, he already murdered one family in Greece. That's kind of what kicks off the entire series. In fact, I would say the whole "settling down and living in the woods" thing doesn't suit him at all. I just can't reconcile the knowledge I have of this character from 6 previous games with the character I'm being given here.

And not having any bridging info to help fill in the gap between the end of whichever God of War is last in the timeline doesn't help. Why did Kratos go north? Who is his wife? What kind of special lady got him to settle down and start a family when he literally banged Aphrodite, the goddess of lust?

I dunno man. I'm gonna keep playing because the gameplay and combat is fun. But this story just feels exceedingly uninteresting and it does not feel like a real God of War story at all.

Edit: Follow-up thought: This is essentially the same problem I had with Luke in The Last Jedi. We come back, years later, with a huge gap of unexplained time, and the character we're presented with feels inconsistent with the previous version we were given.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I've got a lot of problems with the story.

The first, and biggest, is that this doesn't feel like Kratos to me. He doesn't feel like the murderous master of mayhem that essentially left all of Greece in a smoldering ruin.

I also find myself not giving any shits about his kid. The whole father/son dynamic just doesn't do it for me. Mostly because I don't see the dad as being real Kratos.

And not knowing anything at all about the wife has left me very "who cares" about this whole quest to scatter her ashes on the mountain. Maybe I'll find out more about her later. I don't know. But so far, as far as I've gotten in maybe 3-4 hours of playing, I don't know anything about her, and that really makes the whole story hard to swallow.

Kratos is not the sentimental type. Especially since, as you might recall, he already murdered one family in Greece. That's kind of what kicks off the entire series. In fact, I would say the whole "settling down and living in the woods" thing doesn't suit him at all. I just can't reconcile the knowledge I have of this character from 6 previous games with the character I'm being given here.

And not having any bridging info to help fill in the gap between the end of whichever God of War is last in the timeline doesn't help. Why did Kratos go north? Who is his wife? What kind of special lady got him to settle down and start a family when he literally banged Aphrodite, the goddess of lust?

I dunno man. I'm gonna keep playing because the gameplay and combat is fun. But this story just feels exceedingly uninteresting and it does not feel like a real God of War story at all.

Edit: Follow-up thought: This is essentially the same problem I had with Luke in The Last Jedi. We come back, years later, with a huge gap of unexplained time, and the character we're presented with feels inconsistent with the previous version we were given.

Well, both God of War and The Last Jedi give explanations to the character change. It's okay not to like them... but it's still an explanation.

No offense, but this post seems like a big rant filled with justifications that boils down to 'I wanted the old God of War, and despite all the evidence that it wasn't, I went in with expectations anyway, and was unsurprisingly disappointed'.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    I did the first mini-quest at the lake and found a black portal the spat out a "purple" enemy that one-shotted me. Serves me right for exploring I guess.

Oh good! I'm not the only one. Just a quick note, not all voids spit out enemies.

There's a void somewhere... no clue where it was, but I fought the really hard enemies that came out of it and managed to beat them. I didn't collect my reward though, because I was unsure how the voids worked. I thought if I touched it again, more tough bois would spill out.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    So based on the age of the kid, this game is at least 10 years after the earlier games, probably closer to 15-20 years after the end of God of War 3. @Lucascraft are you saying that people aren't capable of change over a period of 15-20 years, or are you saying that you don't think Kratos is capable of change?

You're complaining that this is a different Kratos from the original games, and...well, you're right. He is a different character, he is not the same person that he used to be. Not to be harsh, but it sounds like you should return the game. This is not the same character that you've seen for 6 games in a row; if you're expecting that then I think you won't enjoy this game.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    In a sense, I'm still murderous Kratos. I murder everything in my path that I can. I go out of my way to murder things instead of going up the mountain.

But I never played the previous games. Read a synposis and then went straight in and I can actually buy the character change. He's an old man now (for that time period), he's probably mellowed a bit.

I'm near the last bit of story, I think I'm just gonna finish it tonight so I no longer have to avoid spoilers for the game. I've actually done most of the side missions too though so it's mostly just finding bits of treasure and farming up stuff. Though I do have a question regarding one of the late game armors, or maybe armor crafting in general.
    So I finished the legendary dwarf king quest and can craft the armor. The only problem is only have mats for 1 of each armor piece, and I have to choose which brother to craft it, so whichever one I craft locks in the choice. There's no way to get more of it is there? It's also what's made me wary about upgrading some of the other armor pieces. Like will there be ways of buying more dust or oblivion stones? Or is there exactly enough to upgrade each piece to max, for the rarer mats?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    He's also mellowed because he understands now that all that anger and rage accomplishes nothing, and he has a son that he wants to see grow up and be better than he was.

Edit: there's a really good story Kratos tell Atreus while boating
    It's about a horse trying to kill a stag. He cannot do it, so he enlists the help of a man who saddles him and helps him kill the stag, but then never releases the horse from his bondage.

"Huh, trading his freedom for revenge. I hope it was worth it."

"...It was not"

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I came in with no expectations. None at all. The only thing I knew about this game was that there's a kid in it. I didn't watch any trailers. I didn't follow any of the hype. I just ignored it till it came out, and then I bought it, because I'm a fan of the series.

The gameplay is fine. It feels like they borrowed very heavily from the Souls games, which is a series I love. I'm totally fine with the over-the-shoulder, slower paced combat of this game.

My problem is just with the story. I'm not even saying people can't change. But what I am saying is that having played all 6 games previous to this one, the character we are given is inconsistent with those games, and so far I haven't seen any justification for the change. Maybe that justification is coming. I'm only like 4 hours in. But it's a hard pill to swallow right off the bat.

And like I say, the basic premise of taking some ashes to scatter on the mountain does not feel like a very Kratos-y thing to do. He's not a sentimental guy.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am really surprised that anyone wouldn't see how younger, vengeful, raging Kratos would get old and tired and turn into this Kratos.

I am also surprised that anyone wouldn't find this character far more interesting, especially in contrast, as there was basically nothing appealing or interesting in previous Kratos except as a vessel for player wish fulfillment--but it takes all sorts