As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I made it to the top of the mountain!
    Except it's not the right mountain? But I did get to kill a dragon!

About how far into the game am I?

Probably closer to 60%. But it depends on whether or not you're going to do the side quests. (You should)
    Maybe I missed something, but I haven't found any side quests or maybe I don't know where to look? It's been pretty linear so far. I mean I've found a lot of things that appear to be "hooks" for side quests - like the mirror doors and and the black spawn point things (that kill me the instant I touch them) - but nothing that says "go do this thing for an optional reward".

You're definitely way earlier than 60% through the game.

Unless I'm remembering wrong... Do you have an additional weapon yet? That's around the halfway point of the campaign.

Ah shit you're right I was thinking of something else.
    Did you just meet a man that was a tree? If so then you're at the half way point.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I made it to the top of the mountain!
    Except it's not the right mountain? But I did get to kill a dragon!

About how far into the game am I?

Probably closer to 60%. But it depends on whether or not you're going to do the side quests. (You should)
    Maybe I missed something, but I haven't found any side quests or maybe I don't know where to look? It's been pretty linear so far. I mean I've found a lot of things that appear to be "hooks" for side quests - like the mirror doors and and the black spawn point things (that kill me the instant I touch them) - but nothing that says "go do this thing for an optional reward".

All the stuff around the Lake with the spirits and from Brok and his bro.

Niflheim too. Also Muspelheim.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Explore everywhere you can go around the Lake. A lot of the dwarf side quests don’t appear until you’ve found the locations for them.

Also every time the lake level drops it exposes new routes and chests and sometimes even new areas to explore.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    All of the towers around the lake say that they are locked. Some say something along the lines of 'You'll never be able to access this" and others say they will unlock later.

The lake level has only dropped once, so maybe that's the thing I need to work towards to make it happen.
    I just met the tree guy. No additional (?) weapon yet. I've only been Alfheim and Midgard so far.

26904.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I tried out each of Atreus' spells but the Wolves just seemed to be the best ones for me. I got excited briefly with each new one I found and then when I tried it I just kept thinking "eh.....wolves are better."

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I didn't even try anything else, just kept the wolves equipped the whole time.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Those "you can never access" gates make me a bit sad, even though I know they're probably just being saved for sequels.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I used the crows because they can cover the entire room and keep everything locked down for a long time

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, I think they talked about the messaging on the other realms. Because if they said anything else people would expect them to release it as DLCs. It also didn't make sense to simply not include them because then in the next game people will go "wait, where did these come from?" So they just came up with the "It's permanently blocked for random reason"

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    All of the towers around the lake say that they are locked. Some say something along the lines of 'You'll never be able to access this" and others say they will unlock later.

The lake level has only dropped once, so maybe that's the thing I need to work towards to make it happen.
    I just met the tree guy. No additional (?) weapon yet. I've only been Alfheim and Midgard so far.

You've got some time to go then! I think when I finished the game it was at around 30 or so hours.

• Options
    Don’t worry too much about the lake level, it changes as you progress the story. The big thing is just to explore where you can when you can.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they talked about the messaging on the other realms. Because if they said anything else people would expect them to release it as DLCs. It also didn't make sense to simply not include them because then in the next game people will go "wait, where did these come from?" So they just came up with the "It's permanently blocked for random reason"

Oh, I wouldn't call it random. "Odin is a gigantic dick" is a message that is sold somewhat strongly over the course of the game. So of course he's going to block you from going to cool places.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Is there any way to block those blind mines that the elite dude in the first part of the 3rd trial in the fire place casts? I always get hit by one and then get absolutely dumpstered by all the randos, and the mines do a huge amount of hp damage on top of all that.

I can dodge them most times but they detonate so fast I eventually dodge the wrong way once and then it's all over.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    timhodge wrote: »
    How is this thread not full of photo mode pics?!

I actually haven’t had time to switch on the game since photo mode but that’s like 30% of my play time in Horizon. I might try and pop in tonight and take a few. Game’s gorgeous.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Is there any way to block those blind mines that the elite dude in the first part of the 3rd trial in the fire place casts? I always get hit by one and then get absolutely dumpstered by all the randos, and the mines do a huge amount of hp damage on top of all that.

I can dodge them most times but they detonate so fast I eventually dodge the wrong way once and then it's all over.

You just have to dodge them. It may help to focus your strategy on getting him stunned as quickly as possible. This means BOY hitting him with Light (Blue) Arrows, and saving your Rage for when he shows up.

One thing I’m not sure if they mentioned in the tutorial section, but is really useful: barehanded attacks do less damage, but build up enemies’ stun meter quickly

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Ok here we go!

edit - I put some tags around them because it looks like there's some concern about spoilers.
    xivb615ts1mv.jpg

v7e8a9j3bff9.jpg

pujjuqofzboq.jpg

jsa60holeqkp.jpg

7qugrxrmmtzb.jpg

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    dude get rid of the chain ones

Kadoken on
  • Options
    I'd just assume that screenshots will include spoilers.

• Options
    Eh, mine really didn't, but if we want to be extra safe in this thread that's fine.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, that 4th screenshot straight up shows
    the blades on Kratos' back. I lost my mind when he brought those bad boys out again. Woulda sucked a lot to have that spoiled beforehand

But then again, the folks who frequent this thread are probably well past that part anyway. Except for Stupid, I guess :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Honestly
    If I hadn't played the game yet, and saw that screenshot, I would definitely not assume the things on his back were THOSE blades.

• Options
    the blades on Kratos' back. I lost my mind when he brought those bad boys out again. Woulda sucked a lot to have that spoiled beforehand

But then again, the folks who frequent this thread are probably well past that part anyway. Except for Stupid, I guess :P

I think that particular thing had been spoiled for me in the first 48 hours I bought the game, and since I've beaten it I've seen people freely talking about it everywhere.

But I'm perfectly fine being extra careful about spoilers here.

• Options
    I essentially avoided the SHIT out of this thread and any videos of it until I finished it. That part was absolutely insane.

• Options
    I didn't even watch any videos. The thing I'm talking about was spoiled in the screencap and title of a YouTube vod. I wasn't even searching for GOW stuff, it just appeared in my recommended list.

I'm not precious about spoilers, but it was kind of ridiculous.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I didn't even watch any videos. The thing I'm talking about was spoiled in the screencap and title of a YouTube vod. I wasn't even searching for GOW stuff, it just appeared in my recommended list.

Yeah that's bullshit, sorry man.

Edit: It sounds like I'm calling his recount bullshit, I'm not... Putting a pretty major spoiler in the screencap of a video is bullshit lol.

urahonky on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Yeah, I'm still not clicking on spoiler tags here, but I think at this point the game has been out long enough that it's mostly on me to actively avoid stuff. Plus, I'm not too hung up on spoiling things anyway, so it's even less other people's problem.

I'll finish this game someday. If I just had an extra 8 to 10 hours every day...

26904.png
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Just popping into the thread, but beat the game last night.
    Loved the ending, was expecting a last-minute boss fight, but it felt right. Anything else would have felt rushed and spoiled the mood they built up.

I did get the secret ending (not realizing there was one...I really just wanted to 100% the game), and HOLY CRAP!

novaspike on
  • Options
    @novaspike I'd probably spoiler the second line in your post. Mainly because I did too and it was a nice way to handle it.

• Options
    Added the spoiler, apologies. I was trying to stay vague regardless, so hopefully it's not too informational for anyone who may have seen my original post.

• Options
    novaspike wrote: »
    Added the spoiler, apologies. I was trying to stay vague regardless, so hopefully it's not too informational for anyone who may have seen my original post.

No worries! Like I said it was because I also felt the same way and when it did happen I was like "huh, yeah that works out better". I'd like everyone to feel the same way too.

• Options
    I actually like how they left lots of loose threads that can be picked up in sequels. But none of those storylines (though they were interwoven or even pivotal to this game) prevented this game concluding the story arc it began with. Plus actual human growth from Kratos was pretty cool to see.

Now for actual heavy spoiler discussions:
    I do wonder if they'll kinda go back over the old God of War territory and have you kill a whole new pantheon of gods, or sort of subvert expectations and you actually end up allying with Odin and the Norse gods. At this point they've left it open as to whether Kratos will be the bringer of Ragnarok (by killing the gods) or if it'll stick closer to actual mythology and have the resurgent giants be the army opposed the valhallen warriors. I could totally see Frea going nuts and somehow reanimating all of Jotunheim (sp?) to try and get back at Kratos. And Atreas real name kinda implies that he has a spot on the Norse lineup still. I really need to see if I can go back and look at the prophecy that was uncovered after Atreas left. I caught it's general meaning I think, but I'd be willing to bet there were a ton of other details about it I missed.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Atreus is Kratos's mom, don't @ me, don't ban me, don't read this post
    why did you click this
    WHAT this one too
    are you serious right now

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

Yeah, I'm still not clicking on spoiler tags here, but I think at this point the game has been out long enough that it's mostly on me to actively avoid stuff. Plus, I'm not too hung up on spoiling things anyway, so it's even less other people's problem.

I'll finish this game someday. If I just had an extra 8 to 10 hours every day...
    I was so pleased that I wasn't spoiled by that, either here or in reviews. An extra weapon is the kind of thing I might have expected to hear about. I had gotten far enough in the game that despite the rather small skill tree, I was thinking it would be just the axe, with perhaps some additional powerup.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I got the game today.

I can't play it.

When trying to start the game, the PS4 says it's copying the application version 1.0 and shows me a loading bar that doesn't advance. Then I get booted back to the menu screen for the console, and there's a big honking pause button on the game's icon. Attempting to click on it again just immediately quits back out to the icon again. I tried downloading an update for the game. That took about an hour, and then attempting to install the update causes the exact same immediate quit. I've tried deleting the game's local files and inserting the disc again. It did nothing to help.

What can I do?

• Options
    It sounds like the disc might be bad.

Are you on the regular PS4 or the Pro?

I found a thread on the PlayStation forums where someone with a Pro had the same problem and their solution was to send the disc back and just download the game.

• Options
    Pro.

I can have my bro try to exchange the disc. If that doesn't work, I may try to buy the digital version instead.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Pro.

I can have my bro try to exchange the disc. If that doesn't work, I may try to buy the digital version instead.

Do you have an external drive? You could try installing it to that instead (just plug it in and set it as the default application install location). Or if you've been using one, try the console HDD instead?
    No idea why that would work, but trying that kind of nonsensical thing works for me more often than you'd think.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Only have the one drive (the one in the console).

Gonna try getting a disc exchange done today.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    So i need some tips. I finished the game once, killed the optional boss, on normal. Now i've started over on super ultra kill me cause i'm stupid difficulty.

It's tough. I've cleared the first 2 bosses, and the bosses themselves were pushovers. But every single encounter with Drauger is a freaking slog. I die like....5-10 times before i finally get lucky and finish the encounter up. I'm not at the point where i can really level up or even buy equipment. I have no abilites to spam. XP is...well low. I suspect the game will get easier when i get a few of those cheese abilities. But until then, I don't know how i'm going to progress.

Anyone got any tips on how to handle these pesky little bastards? I just unlocked the ability to kill them with R3...but when your surronded that's a challange and a half...