As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I just finished and I didn’t really mind the end. It was certainly rushed, but it seems like the postgame is actually a postgame and a chance to reckon with all the things that just happened to you. I’m actually pretty happy to be walking along with some of the same characters again and we’re all talking about what just happened

It seems pretty novel for a game tbh

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    The problem is that walking along with these characters is more interesting than accomplishing anything with these characters.

I'm 100% invested in these characters, but this game's flaws make me rather watch a youtube than do it myself.

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Mmmm I don’t think so. I had a blast fighting through the game with the companions

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The flaws of this game are minor imo compared to the overall quality of the game. Like I have a problem with 30 minutes of the ending part of the story, which does not take away from how good the rest of the experience was.

Just watching Kratos develop as a person and character was worth the price alone, even if they fumbled one part of a truly deep and excellent game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The flaws of this game are minor imo compared to the overall quality of the game. Like I have a problem with 30 minutes of the ending part of the story, which does not take away from how good the rest of the experience was.

Just watching Kratos develop as a person and character was worth the price alone, even if they fumbled one part of a truly deep and excellent game.

Yeah the reveal that
    Kratos is eventually venerated and worshipped and he breaks down into tears at the realization was beautiful and haunting

That’s good shit!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Yeah the reveal that
    Kratos is eventually venerated and worshipped and he breaks down into tears at the realization was beautiful and haunting

That’s good shit!

Wait when did this happen?

• Options
    Have you uh, finished the game?

• Options
    edited December 2022
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah the reveal that

That’s good shit!

Wait when did this happen?

Endgame:
    There’s a prophecy that it will happen on one of the prophecy boards at the end of the game

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Again, not everyone has played or finished the game so even hints at spoilers are spoilers. I'd probably just call that a flat spoiler Eddy.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Again, not everyone has played or finished the game so even hints at spoilers are spoilers. I'd probably just call that a flat spoiler Eddy.

The spoiler… that I put behind spoiler tags?

Ah you probably meant the untagged one which I tagged

Casual Eddy on
  • Options

Yeah I did.
    I didn't get that's why he was crying about it. I figured he was emotional at the idea that his wife hid this from him because of prophecies or something.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah I did.
    I didn't get that's why he was crying about it. I figured he was emotional at the idea that his wife hid this from him because of prophecies or something.
    That was probably part of it. But he’s an engine of murder and destruction for so long, the prophecy that he will be exalted and shining and golden sort of broke him for a moment

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    it goes back to Odin slagging him because he couldn't understand that kind of love, because it's unlikely anyone prayed to Kratos. Kratos carries so much guilt and regret, he doesn't think he's worthy of it himself. To have something that says he could be, a validation that he could be worthy of something like that after all his mistakes, rocks him. It's a great moment.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    As he says after seeing it, it's a future he couldn't even have imagined for himself.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Yeah I still didn't even notice that it had people worshipping and celebrating him. I just figured it had to do with the prophecy again. And it's a little bittersweet with his wife being the one to do it.

That and becoming the general and when you walk through the camp and everyone's congratulating him... Figured it all kind of welled up and hit him.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I've got a theory about it:
    I think Angrboda painted that last panel. All the others are made of metal and wood figures, but the last panel is all paint in pretty much her style (aside from a background figure that doesn't seem to mean anything important). She had visions too, so that could have been her editing a panel after they veered off the 'Kratos dies in his sons arms' path.

edit: I mean, on rewatch you can see the raised figures that show the last panel was the 'Kratos dies' scene. So someone definitely re-painted it, it's just a question of if it was Faye or Angrboda.

klemming on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Got a question about a main story quest.

(the path: the runaway)

When talking about the Rift, Odin says that he wouldn’t advise trying to look into it directly, then pointedly lifts his eyepatch as if to say “I tried, and I lost my eye in the process”. Which makes it a bit like the pool of wisdom from the mythology, to which Odin sacrificed an eye.

However, in the previous game, Mimir says he once presented Odin with a pool of water he claimed was a font of knowledge, but was actually laced with hallucinogenic substances. And that Odin tore out his own eye before he came down, leading Mimir to concoct a story that Odin had sacrificed his eye to the pool for its knowledge.

Am I to assume that this is a full retcon of that Mimir story? Because honestly, I’d be fine with that. That was always my least favorite Mimir story, because of how much it cheapened both his and Odin’s roles.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

When talking about the Rift, Odin says that he wouldn’t advise trying to look into it directly, then pointedly lifts his eyepatch as if to say “I tried, and I lost my eye in the process”. Which makes it a bit like the pool of wisdom from the mythology, to which Odin sacrificed an eye.

However, in the previous game, Mimir says he once presented Odin with a pool of water he claimed was a font of knowledge, but was actually laced with hallucinogenic substances. And that Odin tore out his own eye before he came down, leading Mimir to concoct a story that Odin had sacrificed his eye to the pool for its knowledge.

Am I to assume that this is a full retcon of that Mimir story? Because honestly, I’d be fine with that. That was always my least favorite Mimir story, because of how much it cheapened both his and Odin’s roles.

They talk about it later:
    As Mimir says, habitual liars lie all the time, even when they don't need to. And Odin is constantly manipulating whoever he's talking to.
    It's really left to the player to decide who's telling the truth, but Mimir is demonstrably the more honest of the two.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

They talk about it later:
    As Mimir says, habitual liars lie all the time, even when they don't need to. And Odin is constantly manipulating whoever he's talking to.
    It's really left to the player to decide who's telling the truth, but Mimir is demonstrably the more honest of the two.
    That’s a fair point. And honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Odin got someone else to look into the rift for him, to test how dangerous it is without threatening his own self.

It would keep the previous Mimir story in place, which isn’t my ideal. But it does fit Odin’s character to do these things and lie about it .

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Odin is a
    liar, not incompetent, if they were retaining the Mimir story as canon it would've come up from Atreus or something when Odin showed off why he lost the eye. Plus he knows he needs the mask to look into it for a reason.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Odin is a
    liar, not incompetent, if they were retaining the Mimir story as canon it would've come up from Atreus or something when Odin showed off why he lost the eye. Plus he knows he needs the mask to look into it for a reason.
    Eh, Atreus is being kinda foolish, but I think he's got enough smarts to say 'Oh, I thought Mimir suckered you' to Odin's face. This covers it without rehashing the story, which would be an unnecessary complication for people who haven't played the last game, an just unnecessary for player who have.

Also, it fits his character of twisting the truth, like separating Freya and Frigg so Freya doesn't get any credit for things. In the same way he won't admit to fault in anything, he's not going to admit someone suckered him, and Mimir's story that he sacrificed it to a mystic well for knowledge is easy enough to twist to fit his magic rift.

klemming on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    They retconned a number of things from the previous game, some lampshaded by Mimir, some not. Writing changes between sequels, sometimes.

For example,
    Mimir in the previous game clearly said he had never met Tyr, but here they act as if they're old friends (consistent across both iterations).

I'm convinced this is because they were setting up Kratos to time travel and become Tyr or something like that, so Mimir couldn't know him if they wanted to preserve that, but they abandoned that plotline and seemingly a few other ones.

• Options
    Starting to feel like the game should’ve just had HP restore to full after combat.

Yes can there’s something to be said about finding hearthstones and not expending all your resources every fight. But that stops being an important factor in gameplay when put into practice. Because, every time I die in combat, I respawn from the nearest checkpoint with full HP anyway.

So it seems like going into a fight with less than full HP isn’t much of a mechanic. The first time I lose a fight, that goes out the window, and it just ends up feeling like a chore more than anything.

• Options
    I just went into every fight at whatever health I had. If I died it respawned me right before it with full health. I usually used the first fight to understand what I'm up against.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I also found out quite late that interacting with a gateway fully restores health and rage

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I've by no means been rushing through, but I'm 30something hours in and just did the main quest where
    Kratos and Atreus go to Helheim and fight / save Garm
    then decided I should have a go at the Muspelheim trials before getting into the next batch of story stuff.

I've done 4 out of 6 but I'm not enjoying them that much and kinda just want to get on with the story, will I be missing anything important if I leave them til later?

Also, could someone give me a hint as to roughly how far through the story I am? I'm seeing people saying they've finished it at around the same playtime I'm already at and it feels like there is a lot still to go, but I have been doing the bulk of the favors I come across as I play.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    I also found out quite late that interacting with a gateway fully restores health and rage

I didn't even know this at all!!!

• Options
    McFodder wrote: »
    I've by no means been rushing through, but I'm 30something hours in and just did the main quest where
    then decided I should have a go at the Muspelheim trials before getting into the next batch of story stuff.

I've done 4 out of 6 but I'm not enjoying them that much and kinda just want to get on with the story, will I be missing anything important if I leave them til later?

Also, could someone give me a hint as to roughly how far through the story I am? I'm seeing people saying they've finished it at around the same playtime I'm already at and it feels like there is a lot still to go, but I have been doing the bulk of the favors I come across as I play.

Muspelheim stuff is skippable (though you can get some pretty good gear out of it). It gets more tedious after you're through the initial trials, as it wants you to do trials in different orders to unlock new ones.

For story progress, I'd say you're maybe two thirds through? That's a very unscientific estimate.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »

Muspelheim stuff is skippable (though you can get some pretty good gear out of it). It gets more tedious after you're through the initial trials, as it wants you to do trials in different orders to unlock new ones.

For story progress, I'd say you're maybe two thirds through? That's a very unscientific estimate.

Awesome, thanks - after posting this from work I got home and finished the Feed the Rift trial first go, will have a couple more goes at the King of the Hill and if I'm not having fun after that I'll just move on.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It had better be all one shot

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Hit a significant point in the story, a d I have some thoughts about an interesting bit of character writing there.

The quest is The Path: The Reunion. But it is about a considerably later plot reveal that I got spoiled on. So don’t open the spoiler if you’re only at this quest.
    knowing that the Tyr in the dwarves’ house is actually a disguised Odin really puts a sharp point on how much of a manipulative cruel liar Odin really is, in this scene specifically.

In Asgard, as himself, he tells Atreus that he may have made a massive mistake, one that is causing huge problems, but that doesn’t mean he’s not welcome anymore. He says a lot to try and comfort Atreus.

And then, not 10 minute later, as Tyr, he’s the one leading the charge in blaming Atreus for his failures. Everyone in the scene is horrified at what’s happened, but Tyr is the first one to insinuate that Atreus did this on purpose as some form of horrible “mischief”.

Even while he’s portraying himself as a reasonable authority figure who will forgive him, he’s making plans to tear him down in his own home, to drive him away from everyone else. Watching this scene with later context really drives in how much of a fucking snake this Odin is.

As if his abuse of Thor wasn’t enough of a sign.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Finished this last night and, honestly, I think this was kind of a bad game.
    The major plus for me was the character voice acting work. I found just about everything else in the game to be underwhelming if not straight up annoying.

Biggest thing this game is guilty of is the "show, don't tell" rule. Whether it was characters CONSTANTLY telling you what to do or the story itself doing it (seriously, how many times are you TOLD how cool a character is/was in this game without being shown anything?). I thought even the ending plot point discussed above was guilty of this.

The environments were pretty but incredibly repetitive. Character models were all over the place in terms of quality. Game soft locked on me a few times due to characters spawning in the walls (particularly the little salamanders - whoever thought they were a good enemy concept should go to jail). The story honestly did absolutely nothing for me and I hope to never play/watch/read a story about overcoming prophecy ever again - they are just so boring and predictable.

The environmental puzzles were all things I was doing in Dark Sector almost 20 years ago.

Also - SO.MUCH.CLIMBING. Why are we doing this? I have to assume it's to mask load times or something?

Most of my friends are head over heels for this game so I'm sure I'm in the minority but, wooof, this one felt like a big miss for me. So much money and talent poured into something that just ended up being pretty milquetoast IMO.

Edit: oh god - and the SYSTEMS in this game? Were they designed by Xzibit? "Yo dog I heard you like systems! So we put systems on your systems so you can system while you system!"

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I mean it is definitely under no circumstances a *bad* game.

• Options
    I don't really agree. I think it's a prime offender of the AAA game development "lets put so much shit in this game" nightmare and it has no real payoff. I call that bad. Granted, it's bad from my perspective and I can respect that it may very well be other people's favorite game of the year.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I don't really agree. I think it's a prime offender of the AAA game development "lets put so much shit in this game" nightmare and it has no real payoff. I call that bad. Granted, it's bad from my perspective and I can respect that it may very well be other people's favorite game of the year.

Well thats kinda what I'm saying. A game doing a very good job at being a kind of game you dont happen to like doesn't make it bad.

All football games aren't actually bad just because I dont like that kind of game.

• Options
    I thought it was bad for all of the reasons I stated above. I don't think it did a very good job at anything - outside of the voice acting and some of the environments.

Me thinking it was a bad game doesn't make that an objective truth - but to me personally, yeah, it was a bad game.

• Options
    Post game spoiler:
    Mirmir asks kratos if he was in a contest of champions that included princesses, the undead, and the great musician of all time and kratos doesn’t want to talk about it

I thought that sounded familIar and remembered, wasn’t kratos in super smash brothers? Is that what he’s asking about?

After some googling it turns out kratos was in Sony’s version of super smash brothers. And PaRappa the rapper is the best musician of all time, lol

Funny Easter egg!

• Options
    edited December 2022
    I thought it was bad for all of the reasons I stated above. I don't think it did a very good job at anything - outside of the voice acting and some of the environments.

Me thinking it was a bad game doesn't make that an objective truth - but to me personally, yeah, it was a bad game.

Just about everything there was a preference! And frequently the exact things people are looking for in games. Literally why AAA games, the ones appealing to the most people, do those things.

What about the actual combat would you say is bad? Do you find it odd that something, the combat, praised by so many feels bad to you? I would start to thing maybe it was just a style and not actually poorly designed before I said "no, it is everyone else who is wrong!"

Unless this is one of those "there's no difference between not liking things and them being bad" kinda things.

DemonStacey on
  • Options

Just about everything there was a preference! And frequently the exact things people are looking for in games. Literally why AAA games, the ones appealing to the most people, do those things.

What about the actual combat would you say is bad? Do you find it odd that something, the combat, praised by so many feels bad to you? I would start to thing maybe it was just a style and not actually poorly designed before I said "no, it is everyone else who is wrong!"

Unless this is one of those "there's no difference between not liking things and them being bad" kinda things.

I didn't say anybody was wrong? I just kinda feel like it wasn't a great game. It's absolutely just a preference thing so I'm not sure what you're taking umbrage with. My opinion of something doesn't make it a universal absolute truth.

Personally, the combat felt really repetitive and pretty stiff to me with enemies constantly coming up on your ass before you can get a whole combo out.