As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Extra Credits] As channels grow older, their voices will change...

Imaynotbehere4longImaynotbehere4long Registered User regular
edited May 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
I searched the forum and found them mentioned a few times in other threads, but I didn't find a dedicated thread about the channel. So, what are your thoughts on the group and what they do? For me, I have disagreed with some of their opinions, but generally speaking, they've brought up interesting topics or at least points of view that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise.

Imaynotbehere4long on

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I actually just unsubbed them because I stopped watching their videos. I think they make great content, I just got tired of watching it. Highly recommend their 'Games You Might Not Have Tried' Series though. I try to watch those still as most of their recommendations usually lead to games I love.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I don't watch the main stuff but Extra History is good. Especially Walpole being snuck into like every series now.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying Extra History quite a lot

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Their content is palatable mush for the most part but their continued defense of lootboxes was enough I don't find them worth watching anymore.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Their content is palatable mush for the most part but their continued defense of lootboxes was enough I don't find them worth watching anymore.
    In my case, it was not so much their defense but how bad their arguments were, and their reaction to criticisms of said argument.
    Which was basically, "no, you don't know what you want, and we can't help how people take what we say."
    In other words, completely ignoring the actual substance of the criticism.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Extra History is the greatest

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I find them quite enjoyable. They just have this streak of arrogance that they can't back up with knowledge that overtakes them sometimes. They're fun and valuable when they stay at the right depth and don't let their opinions outrun their facts.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Extra Credits is pretty rad. It's kind of an extension of work that James does, which is like consultation-design-theory stuff.

Extra History is undeniably the best fucking thing ever and I adore it and everyone should watch it. I only became aware of it when they ran their anniversary episodes for D-Day last year, so there was a ton of watching back of content. Now it's a goddamn torture to wait week to week for the newest episode, although the past month or two they've been doing two episodes a week it seems. The best part is that they follow series up with their "Lies" episodes, which is fact checking themselves but also fact checking the audience does for them and acknowledging it. Some people say they shouldn't knowingly do things like use modern flags vs previous era flags, but the explanation is that it makes it easier to associate / pick up what's being laid down. And I agree with that explanation. "This place here? Long ago, this happened." The flag designs are extra information not quite vital to the nature of what's being taught (with as much brevity as possible).

I wanted to watch Extra Science more but my roomie stopped me from diving deep on my own. And then we've never gotten around to it. HARUMPH.
    I mean, they weren't defending loot boxes - rather they were framing the corporate think behind loot boxes since said corporations weren't doing it. But there's an actual thread for that isn't there?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I don’t like the voice.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I used to watch their stuff the moment it came out (same with Neebs Gaming)...but lately, I think I'm kind of burning out on youtube. I mean...I've got 30+ years of Doctor Who seasons to watch, and I'm only on season 2 from 1964! I still fire up the Extra History playlist every now and then because that series is simply amazing...but the actual Extra Credits videos have kind of fallen by the wayside.

Also, for the past few months, I had been watching their Twitch stream...but then they fired Will Overgard and I found out that it was mostly his commentary I was watching the streams for (and while I like Dan Jones fine enough, I'm not overly fond of his interactions with the chat...James, though...he tends to get too focused on the games being played (which is fine) and ignores chat interactions (which is also fine...but it does take something away from the Twitch experience that I like: community interaction)).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I used to watch them but then just forgot they existed.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Huh? I get not liking their gaming content but what wrong with their sci-fi and historical series?

LoisLane on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    They did a month on loot box defense and then missed multiple weeks of the game series while mostly hitting targets on the History. I think since the Patreon money is for History, they have stopped treating their main/original series as important to them as it probably should be. I find the videos generally interesting considering their length, but they're often insubstantial.

And those loot box videos were god awful. Jim's counter videos clowned them.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Extra credits are pretty great, especially given how many people have decided that they're dead to them forever for saying things they didn't want to hear.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I disagreed with them on lootboxes, but that doesn't render them deal breakers.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    They're ok, as long as you remember their possible biases as game industry insiders.
    Their loot box videos were pretty horrible, but otherwise they tend to do reasonably entertaining stuff.
    Extra sci fi is especially good.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    LoisLane wrote: »

Huh? I get not liking their gaming content but what wrong with their sci-fi and historical series?
    Speaking for myself, they spent one month attacking a strawman and pretending that Skinner boxes are new and have not been studied extensively.
    Essentially, if they are that dishonest, they are not informative.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

Speaking for myself, they spent one month attacking a strawman and pretending that Skinner boxes are new and have not been studied extensively.

Ehhh. . . Some times people can be good at one thing and awful at another. Neil Degrasse Tyson is a brilliant science educator who puts his foot in his mouth almost every time he tries to get etymological. As long as they’re not spreading hate, I treat them as a fun trivia show and a good place to start studying new historical event. Like I had never heard of the South Seas Bubble or the history behind “she sells seashells by the seashore” if not for them.

• Options

Ehhh. . . Some times people can be good at one thing and awful at another. Neil Degrasse Tyson is a brilliant science educator who puts his foot in his mouth almost every time he tries to get etymological. As long as they’re not spreading hate, I treat them as a fun trivia show and a good place to start studying new historical event. Like I had never heard of the South Seas Bubble or the history behind “she sells seashells by the seashore” if not for them.

Let me put it another way: they spent one month using shitty arguments to defend exploiting addicts, because the industry makes more money exploiting addicts than making games.
    And while they were doing that, they kept insisting that people were objecting to the industry making money, not to the industry exploiting addicts.

If that's their relationship with truth, then the information content of their videos is zero. Might as well not watch them.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

"Palatable mush" is not a sharp criticism. To me, most of the content I have seen is easy to digest but only kind of interesting. Thus "palatable mush."

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    EC is mostly good for a very middle school video time presentation of things, and they're quite good at that. They're not up to critical analysis. They're mostly artistic folks who like video games. I've never even seen any of them at the local game developer meetups.

Incenjucar on
  • Options

Let me put it another way: they spent one month using shitty arguments to defend exploiting addicts, because the industry makes more money exploiting addicts than making games.
    And while they were doing that, they kept insisting that people were objecting to the industry making money, not to the industry exploiting addicts.

If that's their relationship with truth, then the information content of their videos is zero. Might as well not watch them.

Even if I agreed with you assessment of those videos, using that to extrapolate out that everything they have said, and will ever say, on any given topic has no value is sheer nonsense.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    EC is mostly good for a very middle school video time presentation of things, and they're quite good at that. They're not up to critical analysis. They're mostly artistic folks who like video games. I've never even seen any of them at the local game developer meetups.
    James apparently has a job of giving consultation speeches or something to that effect. I dunno where or who he has done this with, as far as developers and publishers go.

Still, breaking things down to be as understandable as possible for the layman / "casual" gamer has value. "Gamers" kinda get up their own ass collectively about understanding / knowing things about the industry and often use that shit to reinforce gatekeeper mentality.

• Options
    HerrCron wrote: »

Even if I agreed with you assessment of those videos, using that to extrapolate out that everything they have said, and will ever say, on any given topic has no value is sheer nonsense.

Liars are not trustworthy. I fail to see how that's nonsense. I guess it needs more study.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like there are at least sixty threads on this forum for people to work out the disproportionate level of hatred they have for lootboxes, I don't see a pressing reason why this should be another one.

• Options
    Hot damn, today's episode was really serious and not video game related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZLB8CyPbM

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    If you ever want to get grade school kids into various eras of history, extra history is fantastic. It is fun to see them connect some of the threads of history, Otto von Bismarck to the sinking of the Bismarck.

"This ship was named after that guy. Did they have a plan?"

(Bismarck always has a plan)

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Imaynotbehere4longImaynotbehere4long Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hot damn, today's episode was really serious and not video game related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZLB8CyPbM

Funny, I just got done watching that video, then I came here and saw you posted it.

There does seem to be a consensus that the anti-homeless measures are bad, but I did notice a comment that said the anti-skateboard measures can be justified since skateboarding in public places is potentially harmful to others who use the space for its intended purpose.

• Options
    People have been hating on skateboarding for years. There was a video game documenting this, called Skate or Die.

• Options
    Given that grinding on masonry is generally not required for using a skateboard for transportation... it's mostly just preventing damage and loitering.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't at least include a comment on how games use hostile design to shape user behavior.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    https://youtu.be/FgCt0RFJskQ

This is really cool.

Edit: video does not have their traditional preview, so I'll explain. James hired people to make an annotated version of Lord Dunsany's A Dreamer's Tale cause he couldn't find a good version himself.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Given that grinding on masonry is generally not required for using a skateboard for transportation... it's mostly just preventing damage and loitering.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't at least include a comment on how games use hostile design to shape user behavior.

Honestly, tying it back to something as trivial as games would have just diluted things.

sig.gif
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    EC's Loot Box videos didn't seem like they were defending them to me. Rather, it seemed more like they were resigned to their inevitability. I.E. The "Jaded Insider" view.

I also want to say that they were going to have one more video about loot boxes, but RL issues canned it, and instead they ended up talking about what was going to be in that video on their twitch page.

In any case, I can (almost) forgive them for anything they say in their main series if they still keep making awesome Extra History and Extra Sci-fi episodes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HerrCron wrote: »

Honestly, tying it back to something as trivial as games would have just diluted things.

Maybe. It's still worth addressing, even if the videos are not connected. Hostile design is pretty common in games that want to stop the player from making progress or

I certainly don't mind them taking advantage of their audience to spread good info. This was one of their better tangents. Others have been... less graceful.

• Options
    I'd rather content creators (oh god I hate that phrase) show an occasional moment of humanity. In this case, the EC crew saying "hey harming the poor instead of solving the problem of homelessness is bullshit" is preferable to "SO VIDEO GAMES."

• Options
    edited April 2018
    God! I fucking wish the Mali Empire survived till our current age. Imagine how different everything would be if they had.

Edit: Link- https://youtube.com/watch?v=YPytwp5ll9g

LoisLane on
  • Options
    I'm actually really happy with the source on the Mali Empire (it being the one eye-witness account ever written), because said source was at least acknowledging the biases that existed with his view while also recognizing things that were going on. With recording history it is too easy to just slander the shit out of whatever you don't like even just a little. I'm impressed. Though I wonder how much of that was EC being generous with how they read things.

Still this is a cool series.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    EC's Loot Box videos didn't seem like they were defending them to me. Rather, it seemed more like they were resigned to their inevitability. I.E. The "Jaded Insider" view.

I also want to say that they were going to have one more video about loot boxes, but RL issues canned it, and instead they ended up talking about what was going to be in that video on their twitch page.

In any case, I can (almost) forgive them for anything they say in their main series if they still keep making awesome Extra History and Extra Sci-fi episodes.

Which is ridiculous, because in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-fwdc3OSaU
    They end it by literally saying Fight the Power, even if it seems impossible.

• Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

Which is ridiculous, because in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-fwdc3OSaU
    They end it by literally saying Fight the Power, even if it seems impossible.

Lip service to a popular ideal is pretty easy to give, and is basically a reflex.

Which makes that book thing quite impressive in contrast.

• Options
    Lip service to a popular ideal is pretty easy to give, and is basically a reflex.
    Researching a historical moment and everything it lead to is not "lip service" at all.