As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Solo Reviews/Tauntaun Guts = Lukewarm.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    I didn’t like the prequels either but, man, I am so over this endless Lucas hate fest. And the idea of a microscopic midichlorian trilogy is so ridiculous that I love it

Nowadays I tend to dislike Lucas for being a horrible businessman then as a director. Since the ST is heavily inspired by Lucas idea, maybe Disney will get someone to adapt this at some point?

Explain Lucas' poor business ability?

Here is how he ran LucasArts.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/how-lucasarts-fell-apart/

Given how he oversaw the video game division I have little faith he didn't do this with other branches.

I'll see if I can find the article where developers/anyone in upper management had to be briefed on what to say to Lucas as if he was the goddamned Emperor by his chief of staff.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Midichlorians were the single stupidest part of the Prequel trilogy; In one idiotic line of dialogue you effectively reduced the force from being this unknowable cosmic power that suffused the universe to a fucking bacterial infection. Further, since you now know exactly what creates the force I can't for the life of me get why it hasn't been comercialized so that everyone everywhere can just go to the equivelant of shoppers drugmart and just buy a couple of force pills or get a needle jammed in the ass so that you now can see the future.

This makes me wish Kathleen Kennedy gave TFA to David Lynch instead.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    Midichlorians were the single stupidest part of the Prequel trilogy; In one idiotic line of dialogue you effectively reduced the force from being this unknowable cosmic power that suffused the universe to a fucking bacterial infection. Further, since you now know exactly what creates the force I can't for the life of me get why it hasn't been comercialized so that everyone everywhere can just go to the equivelant of shoppers drugmart and just buy a couple of force pills or get a needle jammed in the ass so that you now can see the future.

David Lynch already made a Star Wars movie; it was called Dune and it was terrible.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Clipse wrote: »

David Lynch already made a Star Wars movie; it was called Dune and it was terrible.

What the fuck??

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

Just think:

"What are his midichlorian levels, master?"

"Padawan, he has midichlorian levels the likes of which even GAWD has never seen!"

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

What the fuck??

It was shit. Did absolutely no justice to the source material and the plot made no sense. The whole movie felt like it was made by someone who fell in love with the aesthetics of Herbert's universe while paying no attention to the underlying themes of politics, religion, human nature, and free will. And yet somehow the only thing worse than the dialogue were the special effects.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    How dare you disparage that spewing space worm

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    lol what, Dune is the best movie:

1EilY.gif

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The Pug was the true hero of that movie.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    The Pug was the true hero of that movie.

Also Thufir Hawat's cat.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Holy crap, Patrick Stewart was in 1984's Dune? I need to find somewhere to watch it.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    What thread am I in?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    What thread am I in?

You are in many threads at once, for you are the kwisatz PAderach.

Don't feel special about it, there's a ton of them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I finally saw Solo.

It was fine. Maybe even fun. But it did not make me feel any less cynical about the state of the franchise.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    The original trilogy was the best, and we owe Lucas for that, so I dont understand why people who liked the movies, people who are clearly invested in the Star Wars universe talk so much crap about him.

Even when talking about Lucasarts or Lucasgames, I have very fond memories of their products. Maniac Mansion, ZacMcKracken, Secret of Monkey Island, Sam & Max hit the road, X-wing (and tie fighter and x-wing vs tie fighter), Full Throtle, Jedi Knights, KOTOR, the list goes on, if he was so terrible at managing the company, how did they make the very best games out there on every genre for almost two decades? It doesnt add up, if they had a couple of hits and then went down, then ok, but two decades of being on top is not a bad run, I wouldnt call that poor management.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    "Darth Icky"

All the Lucas subsidiaries were fine, until he got involved.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    The original trilogy was the best, and we owe Lucas for that, so I dont understand why people who liked the movies, people who are clearly invested in the Star Wars universe talk so much crap about him.

Even when talking about Lucasarts or Lucasgames, I have very fond memories of their products. Maniac Mansion, ZacMcKracken, Secret of Monkey Island, Sam & Max hit the road, X-wing (and tie fighter and x-wing vs tie fighter), Full Throtle, Jedi Knights, KOTOR, the list goes on, if he was so terrible at managing the company, how did they make the very best games out there on every genre for almost two decades? It doesnt add up, if they had a couple of hits and then went down, then ok, but two decades of being on top is not a bad run, I wouldnt call that poor management.

Lucas didn't make the OT himself, the first draft he wrote was very, very different.

http://maddogmovies.com/almost/scripts/starwars_rough5-74.pdf

SW was a massive collaborative effort both in front and behind the camera. That he was a big part of that did not make him flawless, he is a person and people are flawed. For example, a major factor in why the OT was so good was due to his ex-wife's editing. Irvin Kershner directed ESB. As well as having talented writers like Leigh Brackett, and Lawrence Kasdan. How could I forget Joe Johnson, who was the brilliant art director for the OT.

The PT was an absolute train wreck which Lucas has no-one to blame for for but himself. This is Lucas without having people around him telling him "no," unlike in the OT.

The problem isn't pleasing customers, lots of talented people who are jerks can do that and remain a nightmare behind the scenes. Hollywood is filled with them. I liked those games, too, but where's the empathy for the employees and the bureaucratic labyrinth they had to get through just to make those games? Lots of good ideas for games were scuttled and undermined by Lucas decision making at the last minute, under superior leadership you likely would have gotten more excellent games then what we got. Frankly, given how unstable the leadership was it was a miracle they got as many good games they did for so long, imagine the results if they had better management. The company wasn't exactly running at peak performance if the employees accounts are to be believed.

Nor was LucasArts in its absolute best under Lucas management, if we're judging the company by profit the company only became a multi billion dollar investment in films. Lucas did that on the toys side, yet that was at a cost of not being boosted by the films like Disney did.

Lucas is a very talented businessman, I'm not saying he isn't - that's only half the picture about his reign at LucasArts which included a lot of bad decisions and questionable business practices.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

The thing is, Star Wars and Lucasarts being a product of Lucas and Lucas alone is a massive myth. At best, he came up with the basic underlying ideas, but time has proven that Lucas, on his own, is shit at producing content and he has to have a competent team of folks to turn his rough ideas into good ones. He was an idea guy why ended up running the company full of talented people who did a really good job of turning his basic ideas into great products. And it turns out that a lot of times, people had to work around Lucas as much as work with him, because he was way too heavy-handed in his control of projects (which eventually destroyed Lucasarts).

The OT we got isn't even because of him, it's because of additional people who had a very big say in what was written, shot, and edited together.

And the myth of Star Wars/Lucasarts being solely his creation is also why he got such a big backlash when the PT was crap and Lucasarts fell apart. He got to thinking that he was the bigtime brilliant media genius and then it bit him in the ass when the world figured out he wasn't, it was just advertising.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    No kidding Lucas needed a team, what franchise didn’t? That’s some very suspect reasoning to continue to hate on Lucas. Dude created possibly the most iconic franchise in existence, let’s bestow some credit.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Who isn't bestowing Lucas credit? The guy created Star Wars.

The issue is that Lucas - from the late 90s with the OT Special Editions up to now - has shown that he's not actually a very good storyteller on his own. For every well-done component (like the actual fall of the Republic), he makes several head scratching decisions that either distract from or cheapen the whole thing (Anakin building 3PO, Jar-Jar, midichlorians, the 'rock video' in RotJ SE, Vader yelling "Noooooo" when throwing Palpatine down the hole in the latest version, and a ton of other things big and small).

His vision is generally interesting, but it's pretty obvious he can't refrain himself from piling on things that are simply unnecessary and cringe-inducing. And a trilogy focusing on microbiology might be interesting, but I have 0 faith it would be a better product than the PT.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    From a couple pages ago, talking about Decipher's CCG, here is a rather recent article from The Ringer about the state of the game nowadays.

Magic was the first CCG I played and I still love it, although I've sold of my collection.

The Star Wars CCG, however, was my favorite and I loved it so much. Just about 2 or 3 Saturday's a week, I'd play in a local tournament, whereas with Magic, I only ever went to prereleases.

I miss the game so much. Unfortunately, most of my collection has gone missing after several moves, although my cousin maintains his entire rather impressive collection.

Assuran on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    The Star Wars CCG, however, was my favorite and I loved it so much. Just about 2 or 3 Saturday's a week, I'd play in a local tournament, whereas with Magic, I only ever went to prereleases.
    I thought you could only do that in the Doctor Who CCG?

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Lol, I meant a month, but I'll let my error stand.

• Options
    https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/10/26/the-story-of-the-darth-maul-game-that-never-came-to-be.aspx
    The next day, Red Fly finally met with George Lucas, but not before being told how to talk to him. Our source says they were told to never say “No” to him, or to say, “Yeah, that will be easy.” They were also told not to mention Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. If he’s referred to by George, it will be “that guy.” The most important rule, much like not feeding a Mogwai after midnight, was “Don’t tell George how the Force works.”

Red Fly’s representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.

A friendly George Lucas entered the room and was eager to hear the pitch from Red Fly’s creatives. “Before they could finish their spiel, Lucas cut them off, stood up, walked over to the statues, rotated them to be facing the same direction, pushed them together, and said ‘They’re friends!’” adds the source. “He wanted these characters to be friends, and to play off of each other. He talked about the show Burn Notice as a reference point. He likened Darth Maul to Sonny from The Godfather, and he likened Darth Talon to Lauren Bacall. He actually did an impersonation of her. It was supposedly the weirdest impersonation of a ’40s actress going, ‘Don’t you know how to whistle? Put your lips together and blow.’”

• Options
    No kidding Lucas needed a team, what franchise didn’t? That’s some very suspect reasoning to continue to hate on Lucas. Dude created possibly the most iconic franchise in existence, let’s bestow some credit.

And if he hadn't had such an overwhelming case of ego, he would've recognized that the content he took the credit for making was in fact a huge team effort and letting it thrive would mean sticking to what he was good at while working with other people who were good at everything else.

Instead, he choked all the creativity and quality out of Star Wars and Lucasarts. He gets all the credit he set himself up to take. At least he had the sense to cash out when he did, instead of bothering with trying to force people to accept something he obviously wasn't actually any good at making.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/10/26/the-story-of-the-darth-maul-game-that-never-came-to-be.aspx
    The next day, Red Fly finally met with George Lucas, but not before being told how to talk to him. Our source says they were told to never say “No” to him, or to say, “Yeah, that will be easy.” They were also told not to mention Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. If he’s referred to by George, it will be “that guy.” The most important rule, much like not feeding a Mogwai after midnight, was “Don’t tell George how the Force works.”

Red Fly’s representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.

A friendly George Lucas entered the room and was eager to hear the pitch from Red Fly’s creatives. “Before they could finish their spiel, Lucas cut them off, stood up, walked over to the statues, rotated them to be facing the same direction, pushed them together, and said ‘They’re friends!’” adds the source. “He wanted these characters to be friends, and to play off of each other. He talked about the show Burn Notice as a reference point. He likened Darth Maul to Sonny from The Godfather, and he likened Darth Talon to Lauren Bacall. He actually did an impersonation of her. It was supposedly the weirdest impersonation of a ’40s actress going, ‘Don’t you know how to whistle? Put your lips together and blow.’”

Well, now I know exactly what I want from any and all Obi-wan-on-Tatooine stories from now until forever.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Well, now I know exactly what I want from any and all Obi-wan-on-Tatooine stories from now until forever.

Jeffrey Donovan, Gabrielle Anwar and Bruce Campbell as supporting characters?

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

And if he hadn't had such an overwhelming case of ego, he would've recognized that the content he took the credit for making was in fact a huge team effort and letting it thrive would mean sticking to what he was good at while working with other people who were good at everything else.

Instead, he choked all the creativity and quality out of Star Wars and Lucasarts. He gets all the credit he set himself up to take. At least he had the sense to cash out when he did, instead of bothering with trying to force people to accept something he obviously wasn't actually any good at making.

It's a difficult conversation because I loved the prequels. Grandiose, overwraught space operas. Whereas you see him as someone who "choked all the creativity and quality out of Star Wars and Lucasarts". So i dunno. YMMV?

Frankiedarling on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Jeffrey Donovan, Gabrielle Anwar and Bruce Campbell as supporting characters?

Obi-Wan, and old Twi'lek contact, and a Toydarian he bailed out of one-too-many bad scrapes, yes exactly.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    There is only one clear choice for Obi Wan

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I would watch an Obi Wan movie on a loop for months, always loved the character in all its iterations.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Is anyone else subscribed to Wisecrack? I pretty much take their analysis as gospel now. Spoilers in the video itself:

While the video is specifically about Solo: A Star Wars Story, I think it can just as easily explain the vast majority of quick, forgettable, modern entries in our entertainment genres.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ThatSwedishGuyThatSwedishGuy SwedenRegistered User regular
    What I would like out of future Han Solo side stories, kind of, is that they might not essentially be his stories. The next one coming up is Boba Fett so... have that act as a pseudo sequel to Solo, where the two cross paths for whatever reason. Maybe don't have him hunting Solo but something brings together. All while Boba Fett is the main character and Solo acts as a supporting character. Then, make a Lando movie with both Boba Fett and Solo showing up while Lando is the main character. Make it the... scoundrel trilogy or something. I think that could be a lot of fun and make for some interesting storytelling.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Star Wars spin-off movies are taking an indefinite break.
    Here’s some interesting news from a galaxy far, far away: a new report claims that the Star Wars Story spin-off movies are being put on hold at Lucasfilm. Rian Johnson’s planned trilogy and the Game of Thrones creators’ series of movies are still in the works, but the long-awaited Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone movie and the planned Boba Fett film are reportedly on ice…for now.

reVerse on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Star Wars spin-off movies are taking an indefinite break.
    Here’s some interesting news from a galaxy far, far away: a new report claims that the Star Wars Story spin-off movies are being put on hold at Lucasfilm. Rian Johnson’s planned trilogy and the Game of Thrones creators’ series of movies are still in the works, but the long-awaited Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone movie and the planned Boba Fett film are reportedly on ice…for now.

Its probably for the best. A movie every year was going to wear thin at some point anyway.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Yet I could not be less interested in Rian Johnson making a trilogy.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’d rather they put the numbered trilogy sequels on hold and fully explored individual new stories.

But that’s just me, I realise I’m in the minority.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Conversely Im really eager to see what he can do when hes not cleaning up loose ends from JJs stupid mystery box and can focus more on the stories he wants to tell

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    For me it's the opposite. I'm curious to see how they'll finish the main sequel trilogy (i.e. Ep IX), but after that I'd rather see an interesting, talented director (which I'd consider Johnson to be) explore new material rather than continuing the main story of the Skywalker/Solo dynasty. I don't think The Last Jedi was flawless, but IMO it was a worthwhile breath of fresh air, doing interesting things with the tropes and doing something new in the process.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
This discussion has been closed.