As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Old thread, like the carcass of a cored-out Locust.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If someone is still mechwarrioring in ~6 hours, I'd love to do duos in Solaris.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Welp, my co-pilot's fallen asleep on me, so I won't be making the dropship tonight.
    97VFs8y.jpg

On the plus side, this should get me leverage to be free next week, for BT shenanigans.

Good luck, MechWarriors, may the high-proof flow smoothly and the salt encrust our enemies!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    that is nothing like i imagined you'd look like

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Funny, I would've thought "slovenly disheveled and a hot mess" would have been the first picture in your head of me.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I am extremely hype for Battletech next week. Crescent Hawks' Inception was the founding document of my pc game nerdery.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I am extremely hype for Battletech next week. Crescent Hawks' Inception was the founding document of my pc game nerdery.

Me too! It was one of my favourite games as a kid. It blew my fucking mind when I found out that it was based on this whole bigger thing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

Funny, I would've thought "slovenly disheveled and a hot mess" would have been the first picture in your head of me.

I was thinking more 350lbs female trucker named Ruth, who just lied about the family stuff to protect her identity. @Nips

• Options
    is it just me or is vent not working?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Haven't hopped on Vent (yet). Just trying out the Nova Cat in a match or two.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just gave MWO a shot again, and it's actually playable for me now. The tutorial felt good, I like how modernized the controls are compared to the MS-DOS days. Torso rotation used to be outside of my ability to handle when I was 9 / 10 years old. Also weapon setup / grouping seems easier than it used to be.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

I was thinking more 350lbs female trucker named Ruth, who just lied about the family stuff to protect her identity. @Nips

Wait, are we talking about you or Nips?

Edit: Dangit, I forgot to patch... Downloading the insanely huge patch now. Also Vent isn't working for me...

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    how are we supposed to shit talk and talk shit if we cant vent.

Also solaris suuuucks.. They alter weapon heat/damage/etc for it or something? Hit someone with a RL100 and did literally nothing, and then overheated from firing a couple LPLs, even though i have a shitton of heat sinks.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Looks like the vent server is down.

Im in Gameon1 in discord if youre into that sort of thing.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Well that was...different. Just had the game disconnect me from a match. Oh well...didn't want to play Conquest anyways!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

You look like a math teacher , don’t know why it’s just what popped in my head.

• Options
    So...since Vent is borked...

What's this fancy new thing called Discord that all the younguns are using these days?

• Options
    Its like vent, the invite is in the vent thread at the top of G&T. I think there is a browse version of it or you can download the app.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Its like vent, the invite is in the vent thread at the top of G&T. I think there is a browse version of it or you can download the app.

Yeah, I'm currently in the general lobby. I was mostly pointing out that there is another alternative to Vent since Vent is broke

• Options
    i dont do discord because it forces you to basically have a universal ID, which is bullshit, because I dont want to us the same account to go into my goat fucking channel, that i do to go into my gaming channel, that i do for important/business communique

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I uh, huh. The free mech got me to try out Solaris. So I loaded up my Huntsman, figured some light mech brawling would be fun.

And I got paired up against a Dire Wolf.

I did not do well.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    19.4 gb update what the actual fuck

ed: ... am I better off just deleting the fuckin' game files and reinstalling it at this point? I don't actually have space on my hard drive for a 19gb update

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    i dont do discord because it forces you to basically have a universal ID, which is bullshit, because I dont want to us the same account to go into my goat fucking channel, that i do to go into my gaming channel, that i do for important/business communique

Great to know! We figured a way to keep the salt out!

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Polygon has a glowing preview up, including a 45 min, non-story mission with no spoilers.

But, um, I'm not sure I can recommend watching it. He's got poor Dekker in the Spider running off, exposed from the rest of the pack. He's using called shot to target the enemy Jenner's heat sinks saying that will prevent the mech from firing... on a half skull mission... in a polar biome.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm very excited for Battletech next week.

Battletech will always hold a special place in my heart. In sixth grade there was a student in my class named Chris. I didn't much interact with him, he was shy, and quiet, and nerdy, like many of us were. One day, near the end of the year, during reading period I walked by him and noticed a Battletech Tech Readout in his hand. I had no idea what it was, but I saw mechs and I was interested. We started talking about it and fast became friends over it. He would loan me readouts and books, I'd read them, and then we'd nerd out over them together. Though it was only for a few months before we moved to different schools, he was my window into the word of Battletech.

My interest in the game took a backseat for a while, until I moved to a new highschool and had to make new friends. I was wandering around, looking for a seat, when I heard a group of students talking about the last game of Battletech they played. I instantly latched on to that group, and used that as the catalyst to become friends with them. I'm still friends with them to this day, hell, I live in the same complex as one of them.

I wish I could say thanks to Chris in person for that, and I wish I had gotten to known him sooner in elementary school. Unfortunately Chris had the absolute misfortune of happening to get into a car of someone at his highschool for a ride home, and that someone decide to race and drive recklessly and got everyone in the car killed (other than himself, because the Universe is a sick twisted fuck like that). So, all I can say is thanks Chris. Thanks for getting me into this wonderful setting and game, thanks for helping me make lifelong friends.

• Options
    So, just tried out some Solaris action. First impression:

Something fucked up is going on. Apparently my Blackjack-1 gets rear CT crit from taking damage to its front? Like...looking at an AC20 Grid Iron in my forward quadrant...and I'm taking rear CT damage from it? WTF?

• Options
    Further thoughts:

I have to say that in 2v2, it is not all that fun. Maybe it's just me, but running meta builds has zero appeal to me. The refrain I've heard about Solaris is that you get to see all kinds of different builds...well, I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing:

6xSRM6 (with or without Artemis)
    6xAC2 (or UAC2)
    2xHGR
    2xHPPC

That has, literally, been the only 4 builds I've seen in Div 1, Div 2, Div 6, and Div 7 (yes...2xHPPC Uziels). This is not what I play MWO for...and, as such, Solaris may as well not exist for me.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    So, just tried out some Solaris action. First impression:

Something fucked up is going on. Apparently my Blackjack-1 gets rear CT crit from taking damage to its front? Like...looking at an AC20 Grid Iron in my forward quadrant...and I'm taking rear CT damage from it? WTF?

Ask Adamski, i was bitching about that last night as well.

Almost exclusively from a little SRM commando shitheel, too.
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Further thoughts:

I have to say that in 2v2, it is not all that fun. Maybe it's just me, but running meta builds has zero appeal to me. The refrain I've heard about Solaris is that you get to see all kinds of different builds...well, I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing:

6xSRM6 (with or without Artemis)
    6xAC2 (or UAC2)
    2xHGR
    2xHPPC

That has, literally, been the only 4 builds I've seen in Div 1, Div 2, Div 6, and Div 7 (yes...2xHPPC Uziels). This is not what I play MWO for...and, as such, Solaris may as well not exist for me.

I dont remember the divisions, but I saw 4xLBX10 (Fuckin assholes copying my sandblaster, I WAS DOING IT BEFORE IT WAS META [/mechhipster]), 2xC-Gauss 4-5xC-ERLL, or 2xHGauss and MLs innumerable.

who the fuck brings gauss/ranged into a fucking arena?

WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERY ARENA BUT CAVES HAVE MASSIVE, GAUSSCUNT FAVORING SIGHTLINES WITH LITTLE TO NO APPROACH COVER.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Arena just fell into the hole I figured it would. Of course it would fall quickly into meta being that it is competitive. What surprises me is that LBXs would be so good. I figured everybody would be running UACs for the DPS.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Excellent, 1st May is on a Tuesday, which means that basicly I have a 4 day weekend after Battletechs release.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Sounds like Arena just fell into the hole I figured it would. Of course it would fall quickly into meta being that it is competitive. What surprises me is that LBXs would be so good. I figured everybody would be running UACs for the DPS.

UACs are slightly heavier and jam. PGI recently decreased the cooldown of LBX's (aaaaaaaabout time, holy crap) meaning they now have greater DPS than their single slug variant and don't jam like a UAC. Given hit registration wonkyness and the general unlikelyhood you will hit the same location 100% of the time, the spread on LBX autocannons isn't a huge drawback for dueling.

• Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So.. thinking ahead for whats probably unimportant shit - Which character background is closest to Oosik 'Canon' in the creation phase for Battletech? I need to be prepared to do this crap right!
    -=ALSO EDIT!=-
    I've not tried Solaris at all yet, but I was thinking Twin Lbx10 Roughneck... cause... it's what I have and am comfortable driving, and I suspect the ARC-T would just be an overheat death waiting to happen

Redspo0n on
    "Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I mean we could probably make an “Oosik Traits Mod”.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    I mean we could probably make an “Oosik Traits Mod”.

"Salt of the Padre:
    Unable to be demoralized in combat, because you never expect anything to go well..ever.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    But, um, I'm not sure I can recommend watching it. He's got poor Dekker in the Spider running off, exposed from the rest of the pack. He's using called shot to target the enemy Jenner's heat sinks saying that will prevent the mech from firing... on a half skull mission... in a polar biome.

Sounds about right for Polygon.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    “Professional Drinker”

Unable to be made Unsteady, penalty to Gunnery.

Thanks to years of Oosik victory parties, pre-victory parties, “drink to forget defeat” parties, Beer-thirty celebrations, daily mandatory “one for the homies” drink memorials, and Drink Beer Day (everyday) you’ve mastered the art of staying steady despite the world never standing still anymore.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    "I didn't need that anyway!"

Can sprint while missing a leg and weapons in side torsos are not automatically lost when the torso is destroyed. Upon losing a second leg, an Oosik with jumpjets may opt to take one final DFA attack.

The dubious upkeep of many Oosik mechs and the resourcefulness of their pilots has surprised many opponents who assumed they had disabled their target.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    "Unintentionally Sober"

20% increase crit chance chance on all weapons in their optimal range-band

While many consider the Oosiks at their most deadly when drunk, very few no the real terror of an unintentionally sober Oosik pilot intent on getting this shit over with and back to his drink.

Am I doing it right? =p

Redspo0n on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Background wise i’m just going to lean hard into Capellan Confederation because they are the best.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2018
    Today's the day that the court is due to rule on PGI's motion for dismissal. Obviously this would be the absolute best possible outcome, though since the judge gave PGI a deadline of May 4th to prove the existence of Does 1-10 it's possible that a summary judgment is out of the cards. But maybe not! We'll see.

(For the record, Does = John Does = unknown people related to a case whom the plaintiff could add to the case without starting a new, additional suit. Like if I'm suing Burger King because they drove a truck into my house and we learn that the truck's brakes weren't correctly serviced, I could add the brake shop as a Doe without having to sue them separately. The court gave HG till 5/4 to prove there were other people related to the case beyond Catalyst Game Labs, HBS, and PGI, or it will remove that option.)

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Wishing I could pull the arm actuators out of my roughneck and run a triple LBx5..

This discussion has been closed.