As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OPEN SPOILERS! 10 Years, 18 Movies, it has all been leading to [Avengers: Infinity War]

ForarForar #432Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
pzqvlc4frwff.jpg

"I'm here to talk to you about the Avenger Initiative." - Nick Fury, Iron Man 1.

On May 2nd, 2008, the Marvel Cinematic Universe began with the release of Iron Man to theaters, and included a stinger that promised much more to come. Through cameos, Easter Eggs, teasers, and stingers galore, the movies that followed hinted at a looming climax of the sort many fans had only dreamed of for decades.

Now, it is (almost) here. On Friday, April 27th (and some Thursday evening showings, of course) the wait will finally end and Avengers Infinity War will release around the world.

Regarding spoilers: for now, let's allow for open discussion about the preceding movies, and the trailers that have been released to the public. Marvel has explicitly asked that fans not spoil the movie for others, so until its release let's keep actual spoilers tagged, for those who want to discuss things based on public knowledge. Once it gets in the wild we'll revisit that.

n3w1mqijfwxl.jpg

What this thread isn't for: actual spoilers, fandom bickering, more actual spoilers, etc.

Trailers (spoilered for space):

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
Bogart on

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    There is already some brilliant marketing happening for this

They are putting up posters you see on the left in this picture:

0nKZg3gvAPp6QmqaUsgZdMfEqSic6zwKDGZWGxaPFy4.png?w=589&s=b06ea653c3e78b649f48a9f940ffee6a

And when you remove the poster, there is an envelope congratulating you on daring to fight Thanos. This envelope contains free tickets to see Infinity War. And there is a second poster underneath the first that has the Avengers on it.

Freaking genius.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Marvels marketing department is fucking amazing.

I don't even care.

They're the goddamned best.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Why didn't they get Kevin Nash to play Thanos? Because that's who I see on the poster.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    YAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGICANTHANDLETHEWAIT

Here's a question..... do we know where Fury is?

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Downey's head looks way too big for his body on that poster.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    One day I shall solve the mystery of posters showing Star Lord's guns firing anything but what they actually do in the movies. Top barrel shoots fire, bottom barrel is electricity. Every movie poster has had him shooting various flavours of laser outta them things instead, usually green.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    In a discussion at work today i started wondering if we'll ever get a total meetup in this movie.

I worry that Panther, Cap, Widow, Falcon, Bucky will all be in Wakanda. Stark, Strange, Spidey in New York, and Thor Starlord n' crew in space and then New York without the big groups ever meeting.

You guys dont think they'd actually do that to us do you?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    In a discussion at work today i started wondering if we'll ever get a total meetup in this movie.

I worry that Panther, Cap, Widow, Falcon, Bucky will all be in Wakanda. Stark, Strange, Spidey in New York, and Thor Starlord n' crew in space and then New York without the big groups ever meeting.

You guys dont think they'd actually do that to us do you?

From the preview alone, that is confirmed not the case.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Stark and some of the Guardians are seen in Wakanda I believe

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

I don't recall seeing Stark. I do recall seeing the Hulkbuster in several of the trailers.

While we can assume he's in that suit, we can't know it for sure based just on the trailers.

Unless there's a shot of him (sans suit) that I've missed.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So I've got a theory on A4, and how any deaths in Infinity War are permanent but reversible...
    I had been thinking time travel, that Strange takes whoever survives this movie back in time to unfuck things. I no longer think that! I think it'll be Ant-Man that saves the day, teaming up with Strange to traverse the Quantum Realm into a parallel universe and recruit some parallel Avengers.

So now anyone who dies in Infinity War can stay dead forever... but it's OK because we get replacements for em. ;P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »

Are you sure?

Because i have a theory that it isn't Stark in that Armor there.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    They changed Thanos too much.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    It's certainly possible

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Good.

His original design in that post-credit sequence was shit.

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Have ticket

Am excite

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Good.

I meant from the comics.

I would rather have him trying to woo death.

• Options

Good.

I meant from the comics.

tbf we don't even know what he's doing in the film.

And some of the death wooing was just... Thanos being one of those "nice guys" who thinks taking a girl out to dinner means she owes him a blowjob.

Ugh.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Plus we already know who woos death.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Downey's head looks way too big for his body on that poster.

Sounds about right.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Not just Tony, but in typical spite to Rhodey his head looks as badly pasted on that armor as Cyborg's was.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Good.

I meant from the comics.

Some things that work in comics wouldn't work in a movie, not that anyone here has actually seen the movie and can speak with much accuracy on how Thanos is portrayed.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I like the general concept from whatever interview of
    Thanos originally being part of a civilization that achieved immortality and great power only to stagnate and nearly destroy the universe. It lends weight to him viewing most people akin to insects.

• Options

Good.

I meant from the comics.

tbf we don't even know what he's doing in the film.

And some of the death wooing was just... Thanos being one of those "nice guys" who thinks taking a girl out to dinner means she owes him a blowjob.

Ugh.

I feel like making the concept of a "nice guy" into a villainous attribute would be a great way to maybe get it into their heads that its a bad way of thinking.

"You are being a Thanos" might stick with them more than describing them as a "nice guy."

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Good.

I meant from the comics.

Some things that work in comics wouldn't work in a movie, not that anyone here has actually seen the movie and can speak with much accuracy on how Thanos is portrayed.

If Thanos does not take at least a brief ride in his Thanoscopter then I, for one, will be appalled at the lack of regard for comic book canon.

For reals though, there's a part of me that's still utterly shocked that this film is actually happening. It's been led up to for ten God damn years, by eighteen other bloody films! That's crazy!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to not get myself overhyped.

I have pre-ordered a ticket for the very first showing in town.

This morning on the way into work I was thinking about how much I'd love to see an Obidaih Stane cameo.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I think I may have mistimed things. I set it up to watch all 17 movies (Black Panther being unavailable until May) with 18 days to go (I'm not seeing it until the following Tuesday after release, as is my tradition), and I'm coming in WAY too early. Just about to start Captain America 3, seven days in. Leaving just four movies to go, over the next eleven days.

I may have to see what the cinema seating is on opening day, at this rate. Unlike some others, I'm not a fan of packed cinemas, and the "shared experience". Too many other people are jackasses. But I don't know if an additional 5 days works for me.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I am hype. This has been so long coming I can't believe its almost here.

God do I hope I don't get spoilered, boy howdy that would suck.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Having movie Thanos trying to woo Death could work, but they'd have been needing to lay the groundwork for a generally more mystical universe long before now.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Having movie Thanos trying to woo Death could work, but they'd have been needing to lay the groundwork for a generally more mystical universe long before now.

I feel like they did that with Ragnarok, Dr Strange, and even Dark World to a degree.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    ObiFett wrote: »

I feel like they did that with Ragnarok, Dr Strange, and even Dark World to a degree.

MCU Thor specifically tones down the magic. Its fairly explicit that they're just ludicrously advanced aliens. Dr Strange was one movie, which isn't exactly a "groundwork".

Also Dark World? Never heard of it. No such place. Probably just made that up.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I believe Thanos's planet had essentially been run out of resources, and he is convinced that is happening to the universe and that's why he wants to eradicate half the life.

I have no proof of that, its just my hunch.

• Options
    I believe Thanos's planet had essentially been run out of resources, and he is convinced that is happening to the universe and that's why he wants to eradicate half the life.

Normally I'd say he wants to kill half the universe because he's the bad guy but marvel villains have gotten a lot better recently.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Normally I'd say he wants to kill half the universe because he's the bad guy but marvel villains have gotten a lot better recently.

I dont know man.

I dont know that anyone is 100% "a dick"

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

MCU Thor specifically tones down the magic. Its fairly explicit that they're just ludicrously advanced aliens. Dr Strange was one movie, which isn't exactly a "groundwork".

Also Dark World? Never heard of it. No such place. Probably just made that up.

I mean technically Dr Strange has been in two movies and mentioned in a third.

I highly doubt we're gonna get the crush on Death but I sure would like to see more MCU Hela.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Mine's kinda the same, but I'm guessing it's going to be more along the lines of he's the last of a race of immortals and is basically the only one who can see things "long-scale" enough. Except I'm going to guess it's going to be more than just "running out of resources" and more "the use of power and high technology on such a high scale is going to lead to the heat death of the universe" or something like that. In the ads we see him talking about "bringing balance" - I think it's going to twist "balance" to sustainability - too many people are accelerating/causing the death of the universe, balance must be achieved so it can survive.

Basically, in my head, they're going to turn Thanos into a twisted environmentalist on a cosmic scale because he's one of the only beings who will be around long enough to see all the consequences.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Mine's kinda the same, but I'm guessing it's going to be more along the lines of he's the last of a race of immortals and is basically the only one who can see things "long-scale" enough. Except I'm going to guess it's going to be more than just "running out of resources" and more "the use of power and high technology on such a high scale is going to lead to the heat death of the universe" or something like that. In the ads we see him talking about "bringing balance" - I think it's going to twist "balance" to sustainability - too many people are accelerating/causing the death of the universe, balance must be achieved so it can survive.

Basically, in my head, they're going to turn Thanos into a twisted environmentalist on a cosmic scale because he's one of the only beings who will be around long enough to see all the consequences.

oooo yea i like that.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I dont know man.

I dont know that anyone is 100% "a dick"

The trailers are already showing some kind of emotion with Thanos. So.. we will see?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I think AND IT'S A POSSIBLE SPOILER IN CASE YOU MISSED THE TRAILER AFTER THE FIRST ONE OR ARE ON MEDIA BLACKOUT SO DON'T YELL AT ME OKAY?
    In trailers he said he was looking to kill half the earth to balance the universe

So the snap is out, which goes along with the MCU being vastly depowered vs the comics

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I think AND IT'S A POSSIBLE SPOILER IN CASE YOU MISSED THE TRAILER AFTER THE FIRST ONE OR ARE ON MEDIA BLACKOUT SO DON'T YELL AT ME OKAY?
    In trailers he said he was looking to kill half the earth to balance the universe

So the snap is out, which goes along with the MCU being vastly depowered vs the comics

I interpreted this differently.
    Gamora explicitly says that he wants to wipe out half the Universe.

Thanos says that when he's done, half of Humanity will still remain. Presumably that's just because half of everyone, including Humanity, will be gone/dead/whatever. So I don't think it's about balancing the universe by wiping out ~3.6 billion Humans, simply that half of all beings will be gone and that will include half of humanity, among all of the other species.

I'm thinking the line is being said to Stark or another human, hence the emphasis on half of Humanity.

But I admit, I could be wrong, and it might be a misdirect of some sort.

This discussion has been closed.