Options

The Many [Love]s of Hocthuseles.

1939495969799»

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have just always viewed twitter as a garbage app that nobody really needs to use. Sure it can have positive uses but it can also even more easily become akin to mainlining horrible comment section posts.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Twitter is, and has been for a while now, an integral and valuable tool that a vast number of people utilise to let them do their job effectively.

It sucks a massive one that dickheads also use it to push their poop agendas, but saying that nobody needs to use it is extremely reductive.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's incredibly useful as a tool for academic networking and finding other people who research your subject. And fortunately that's most of the bits that I see directly. Unfortunately every time I click through to the replies to someone else's tweet I'm reminded that 90% of humanity is garbage.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think I'd say that if your job, occupation, profession etc uses Twitter then you need Twitter, sure, but for purely social purposes I think it's really bad. Personally, anyway.

I don't have or use it though so it doesn't really matter either way.

• Options
    But Josh Malina just used Bradley Whitford's account to tweet "I'm horny" and if that isn't the pinnacle of 21st century cultural achievement I don't know what is.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I said up front it can be used for good.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    But Josh Malina just used Bradley Whitford's account to tweet "I'm horny" and if that isn't the pinnacle of 21st century cultural achievement I don't know what is.

I don't know who either of these people are, but I wholeheartedly and blindly approve

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    My only interaction with twitter is via embedded ones on this forum, and even that is too much at times.

But then i'm not much of a chatter in general and I don't think social media is for me on the whole.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Your position is compelling, I'll grant you

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I can’t block websites on my phone cuz I forgot the Restrictions passcode I set

Which I can only guess once an hour now

poo
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Twitter's good because I can put cute pictures of myself on it and get a bunch of instant validation

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I deleted Twitter off my phone and only look at it when I'm at home now, and I think it's a pretty big improvement

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Why would anyone wear anything over their underwear?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I tried that for a few days but most of the people I talk to I talk to through Twitter DMs so I needed it back.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Why would anyone wear anything over their underwear?

Public decency laws

Also, uh, in order to downplay certain anatomical details

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Twitter is way less toxic than Facebook, at least for me. Which I mean I barely use my Facebook already, but still, if you're going to ditch a social media, that would for sure be my pick.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Facebook is good for organising events and the messenger app is useful.

But in my old age, I've stopped caring about the actual newsfeed.

Instagram does that for me now

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah I skip Facebook mostly. I'dve deleted for good if not for my family members all being there.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I use Instagram to make my dating profiles look active

I use Facebook mostly to log in to dating apps and see what my extended family and friends who don't live too close are doing with their lives

Weeks of no matches on Bumble and Tinder have me on the verge of deleting them both again

I'm not sure what the algorithms have against me

• Options
    The only issue I have with not having the facebook app on my phone is missing a notification for event invites, maybe there's a way to turn on notifications via email for important stuff.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Twitter has been WAY more toxic for me, mostly because it often turns into a real grim misery party when things get....rough on there

It's also so much easier for random jerks to harass or follow you and I don't dig that, so I basically keep mine on high security and only really use it as a news feed, I don't even actually tweet

Whereas Facebook lets me curate what I see or send out on my feed a bit better

I'd gladly leave both for a more ethical social media option though, if something like Mastodon actually gained traction

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If you curate your feed well enough twitter is just friends and funny people with the occasional smattering of apocalyptic dread.

I’m terrified to actually talk about things on there though since I’ve seen so many innocuous comments lead to people getting brigaded by harassment groups.

I should probably throw mine back on private now that I think about it. I’m only followed by people here I’m pretty sure.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This Twitter is for the BIRDS, I say

• Options
    Social media experiences in general are highly dependent on who you're following. It's true that Twitter is easier for randos to swarm, but my biggest problem with Facebook is I've had it for like 8 years and a good chunk of my friend list is people I follow out of social obligation who post complete garbage. (Okay technically that's my second biggest problem, the first being my name). Meanwhile my Twitter handle is something that only one person I know locally even knows and I've made a point of only following people who I care to hear from, so it's generally a much more positive experience for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    This Twitter is for the BIRDS, I say

Thanks Norm

• Options
    I don't follow anyone on facebook who's shit I don't want to see. If you're worried about unfriending them just unfollow them, they won't know and you can live in blissful peace free of click-here-to-find-out-your-smurf-name memes.

• Options
    I don't follow anyone on facebook who's shit I don't want to see. If you're worried about unfriending them just unfollow them, they won't know and you can live in blissful peace free of click-here-to-find-out-your-smurf-name memes.

This is what I did and it worked wonders.

@Tynic giving out the top tips

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm just too old for these apps

Maybe the matches I had earlier in the year were flukes

I'm only 34

• Options
    I trimmed my twitter a little while back, so now my feed mostly consists of:

- Friends' thoughts/daily stuff
    - Lots of very cool artists posting very cool art and very hot art snark
    - Bizarre, existentially confronting concepts
    - Rad science and history stuff (with a weird bias towards vikings for some reason?)
    - Exactly three billion rabbits a day

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've never been social enough for Facebook or Twitter. I have a Twitter but it's pretty much just me posting into the void about a mobile game I play every now and then.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    For the past several years, Facebook has only ever shown me like, a post from three days ago that I've already seen, posts where people I like and still want to follow comment on some dingus who I have repeatedly tried to block, and every day a new meme page that I'll immediately block but it doesn't matter there are always more.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Goodbye, love thread #68

Goodbye, Hocthules

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    he will be missed

as will Saliva, Salvia, Silvia, Stevia, and Gustav

• Options
    wa4a4cpcm17b.jpg

Here's a picture of Hochthules waving goodbye with both hands

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i wish i could trim my social media feeds better

like my instagram

my instagram isn't even sfw

i wish i could seperate it all out to other accounts but it'll be too much work

poo
This discussion has been closed.