As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World: PC released, AT Teo on consoles. MHGU: Aug 28

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    ....Wait are sub-3 clear times supposed to be on the non-tempered versions of Nergigante?

like anybody has tempered nerg investigations to begin with

they're basically mythical

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    ....Wait are sub-3 clear times supposed to be on the non-tempered versions of Nergigante?

t. nergi has 1.1 (ish) times hp and a higher defense modifier, so 3-4 mins for tempered while 2-3 mins for non-tempered

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    but i mean

just cause you arent getting sub 5 doesnt mean anything

just play the game

i like putting my best clears to my fav music cause im a nerd

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    as a lance and switch axe main i want more community camaraderie and dev pandering like the GS gets

this place helps with the weird lance enclave, but nobody cares about the switch axe

nobody

it's a lonely calling

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Switch Axe ?

Is that the big thing the Charge Blade turns into?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    penny arcade is the only place where lancers congregate

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    i have hundreds of switch axe hunts in and i'm not even sure i'm using it right because there is just no swaxe inspo out there

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    SWAXE without Aerial style just isn't the same.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    I ...

Is GS just that good? Because that play wasn't especially impressive for that clear time...

this is lowkey the most savage response ever

Git gud
    Elendil wrote: »
    as a lance and switch axe main i want more community camaraderie and dev pandering like the GS gets

this place helps with the weird lance enclave, but nobody cares about the switch axe

nobody

it's a lonely calling

I do. I have multiple swaxe sets.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

t. nergi has 1.1 (ish) times hp and a higher defense modifier, so 3-4 mins for tempered while 2-3 mins for non-tempered

I feel like this can't be right, I thought my own times were against the tempered beastie

But I didn't record anything, either

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    i have hundreds of switch axe hunts in and i'm not even sure i'm using it right because there is just no swaxe inspo out there

I dunno man, that one clip of you completely owning Vaal with that fire switchaxe really opened up my eyes. Pretty sure you're doing something right.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options

I feel like this can't be right, I thought my own times were against the tempered beastie

But I didn't record anything, either

are u saying its too fast or too slow

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    If I remember my best Tempered Nergi time was 2"45 and it was not what you'd call an optimized run (big difference being I never, ever ran from it, and never healed unless it was with a max potion)

I think of Nergi as more of a glass cannon than those times suggest

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    If I remember my best Tempered Nergi time was 2"45 and it was not what you'd call an optimized run (big difference being I never, ever ran from it, and never healed unless it was with a max potion)

I think of Nergi as more of a glass cannon than those times suggest

no thats about right

getting sub 3 on tempered is considered top tier

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Yeah but the damn thing actually managed to run away from me and I had to sleep bomb it for the finisher and it still came out to that time

I thought top class kills on Nergigante would be like 2 flat

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    theres sub 2 with specific builds and timing the spike growths to chain knockdowns

areial bow etc etc

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    For real though

What does the Switch Axe offer over other weapons?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I can only find a couple sub-2 on the Youtube but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQeUz4Z0Ko

Yeah this is more what I had in mind for a nice hammer beating

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    yeah but mine has a daft punk soundtrack!!!!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    You're not wrong

Also hammer is the best and anyone who doesn't use it might as well just be taking the L

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    For real though

For the Barroth SA, the highest Paralyze values in the game in Sword Mode. It's pretty ridic.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    You're not wrong

Also hammer is the best and anyone who doesn't use it might as well just be taking the L

hammer is hella good but you should try MHFU hammer for true op

in FU the golf swing was 110 motion value

it got nerfed ever since to 100, then 90, and now is at 87 i believe

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    The idea of a golf swing hitting harder than the final slam on a big bang combo is very, very enticing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    For real though

For the Barroth SA, the highest Paralyze values in the game in Sword Mode. It's pretty ridic.

I guess I'm looking more for core values of the weapon type

Ah, Arrekz does have a tutorial vid, I'll check that out

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    The days where your b&b could also be your main damage dealer seem like a good time

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I like Arekkz' videos, but I find for myself I have to skip to his combo lists because my eyes start glazing over half way through a lot of the videos, then once I get comfortable with the basics I try to go back and absorb the more nitty gritty details there.

I've tried to pick up SA several times via that video, and by the end I feel like I retained less than when I started with it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I like Arekkz' videos, but I find for myself I have to skip to his combo lists because my eyes start glazing over half way through a lot of the videos, then once I get comfortable with the basics I try to go back and absorb the more nitty gritty details there.

I've tried to pick up SA several times via that video, and by the end I feel like I retained less than when I started with it.

axe mode is simple. you pretty much just want to use triangle+circle. only use the wild swing when you're doing the transformation.

in sword mode, circle hits gets you to amped faster while triangles come out faster. you want to fire off a few circles to hit amped, then do 3 triangles and a circle for deeps.

the thing i'm just now getting to realize is a thing is switching back to axe mode with R2 like a bloodborne trick weapon to go back into axe mode here for a few seconds to build meter, THEN switch back to sword mode to get more amped uptime. then when your amped is running down, THEN do the element discharge. you can fire it off early by not mashing triangle if you're not in a safe spot to do the whole thing.

i think that's the gist of it

as far as i can work out because ain't anyone use switch axe

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    i have never actually successfully popped off the element discharge early to avoid damage

i don't have that kind of willpower

edit: OH. getting the mount and doing the discharge finisher will put you into amped automatically when you finish

amped state + downed monster = you really, really want dat mount

Elendil on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The idea of using just one weapon class in a game that offers so many always seemed weird to me. Up through the end of 3rd generation, I experimented, fighting everything with each weapon and learning which I like best for each monster.

I'm still learning the the new ones introduced with 4U. I found myself consistently turning to the ones I knew already, which is why in my latest Generations file, I'm forcing myself to use just Charge Blade, Insect Glaive, and Prowler, until I finally know them. I'm also making all the low rank armor, one set at a time. This helps me re-learn each monster and provides a concrete drive for fighting each one a bunch. Even though the low rank sets just suck (which I've felt has been a mistake in recent games), they still look cool.

After that I'll have to re-learn lance thanks to the prolonged 3rd hit. While it may not seem like much, it really throws me off!

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I've only just recently started branching out to new weapons after over 200hrs played, first into Gunlance, since that was an easy transition from lance and now into LBG/HBG. It wasnt even out of boredom, it was more because, outside of needing another stone for my jho lance, after the KT event, my lance build felt "complete". LBG is very refreshing though after lancing, mobile as heck and managing the different shots is pretty fun.

• Options
    I kinda burned out on the content at around 200 hours, while maining CB and IG. I branched out to GL, DB and Lance and I've already logged an additional 100 hours so far, learning new weapons makes the game feel fresh again.

• Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm really interested in moving onto either switch axe or HBG for my next weapon since the playstyles are so different from my old mains. Amped discharge on a switchaxe has a plus plus cool factor, which is mainly how I go about making my weapon choice decisions.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    i just actually attempted tempered kushala for the first time post flash nerf

without his set bonus

i nearly timed out on a 30 minute quest

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Here is a pretty cool video showing the benefits of animation canceling with CB. It's an exploit that replaces the recovery of SAED with a normal AED.... which you can then cancel into a roundhouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCHGqqDqmKg

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    For real though

That and Minds Eye for "Free" doesn't hurt. Even in Axe Mode you get one of the easiest to pull off upward attacks in the game, really nice to chopping into say Xeno's chest, etc. Also the Swagaxe has one of the most consistent 'launch me bro' moves with it's X+O attack in axe mode.

I'll do unawakened Discharges sometimes if I can stagger a foe with it. Great for screwing up Angie or Legie's lumbering attack sweeps. Not so good for Jho because he ignores the laws of inertia.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular

without his set bonus

I TIRED to do it with Switch Axe and Gun Lance. Said, screw this and got out my Karma and Pierce Shot his ass to oblivion.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options

without his set bonus

I TIRED to do it with Switch Axe and Gun Lance. Said, screw this and got out my Karma and Pierce Shot his ass to oblivion.
    i was running the teostra switch axe and it was doing good damage at first, lots of blast procs

didn't even have problems not running health boost

then i ran out of flashes and ended in the constant cycle where he'd bob around in the air for a while, land, i'd bounce off the wind aura, hit him one time, then it'd pop back up and cast a tornado

i could not land two hits

fuck i'd forgotten how annoying it was without the set bonus

• Options
    I wasn't paying attention and missed out on a Destoyer and an Artillery jewel in my melds. :(

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    anybody feel like doing some tempered elders tonight, 8 pm-ish EST?

I have a desperate need for gleaming streamstones

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List