As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there a website I can use to see what tournament lists were used? I'm curious to see what a T'au list looks like.

There are usually threads on dakkadakka and similar places going over the lists of major tournaments. Because of how pairing is done now (using a phone app) there's a picture of literally every participant's list available for everyone to browse, and these make their way online.

But uh, be prepared for some serious sniping back and forth about who's overpowered or not, lol "Imperial Guard are in literally every winning Imperial List!" "Sure, but no pure Imperial Guard ever win!" etc. etc.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I feel the opposite here. People are playing 40k constantly. There are pick up games at all the stores. And folks are enjoying the hell out of it. The biggest thing is the time for a 2k 8th edition game is 3.5 hours and sometimes you don't have that time.
    I and my buddies can't come in under 4-5 hours it feels like. That's vastly better than where we started, but alas....

If am playing a tournament list so like NoVA practice my friend and I can play in 3 hours if we move fast. We have dice buckets for how many shots a unit has. Share dice for saves if it is a lot. Also just having your stuff open and knowing the information helps a ton. The old read and know your codex is huge.

Part of it also is the first 2-3 turns take most of the time by turn 4 there are like 10 models on the board on each side so turns go much faster.

Also the type of army matters. I play 90% chaos space marine not a horde army by any measure. So that helps a lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hm, I really need to explore carrying case options and figure out what the best thing will be for multiple knights.

• Options
    I'm pretty confident the answer will be magnets, could be as simple as a cheap toolbox from a hardware store. You don't need much area, just height and nothing will even budge.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So Necrons get Warriors, Immortals, Deathmarks, and Flayed Ones.

They also have cool tactics.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/16/16th-july-kill-team-focus-necronsgw-homepage-post-1/

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Starting to feel like Eldar are getting more than a bit shafted here in terms of unit diversity.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I imagine craftworlds are going to get the greatest unit variety

Also, has anything been said about what the Deathwatch veteran unit card looks like? In 40k they have terminators, bikes, vanguard included but I somehow doubt that will be the case here...

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/07/16/16th-july-kill-team-focus-necronsgw-homepage-post-1/
    I just got my last batch of Necrons from the guy who was painting them for me and the last batch had 20 flayed ones.

Just in time!

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Also, has anything been said about what the Deathwatch veteran unit card looks like? In 40k they have terminators, bikes, vanguard included but I somehow doubt that will be the case here...

My guess would be similar to the regular marines but with more weapon options. Terminators got nixed likely because of their 2+, and bikes move super fast abd are T5 so they would be fairly op in Killteam I would bet.

Will be fun to see how their shotguns fare in Killteam, at any rate.

• Options

My guess would be similar to the regular marines but with more weapon options. Terminators got nixed likely because of their 2+, and bikes move super fast abd are T5 so they would be fairly op in Killteam I would bet.

I'm guessing they will just get their regular 40k wargear list (which is pretty extensive) for base veterans, sergeants, and maybe black shields. I doubt vanguard vets make it in, also

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

I just got my last batch of Necrons from the guy who was painting them for me and the last batch had 20 flayed ones.

Just in time!

Kill team gives me a reason to finally use my flayed ones. I'm also gonna try Deathmarks but all my Deathmarks look weird since I'm using my leftover Deathmark bits from the Immortals box and finishing them with Necron Warrior bits from the start collecting box

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options

I'm guessing they will just get their regular 40k wargear list (which is pretty extensive) for base veterans, sergeants, and maybe black shields. I doubt vanguard vets make it in, also

Yeah that is the thing after building 15 normal vets this weekend I can say they have every weapon ever basically. And every vet can take a mix of about anything.

Stalker Bolt Rifle and a powerfist? Sure. Dual grav pistols? Why not. Storm shields with stormbolters? Totally a thing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Basically the biggest thing they can't get that I would actually want is sniper rifles.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    ? A stalker bolter is just a bigger, better, sniper rifle.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    You likely can't target characters from afar with stalker bolters

But I suppose that's not an issue with kill team

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    ? A stalker bolter is just a bigger, better, sniper rifle.

They don't have the sniper rules sadly. I wish they did. I have a unit of 3 that goes with 2 infernus heavy bolters as they are all 36" range if you use the right special ammo on the stalker. If they were though Deathwatch could just snipe everyone with ap -1 wound on 2+ sniper weapons.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Oh, I thought we were talking about Killteam still, in which case, I doubt there's any character protection, and deathwatch seem to get access to the "sniper" skilltree.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Everyone's a character in Kill Team.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Everyone's a character in Kill Team.

We don't know if this is true in new kill team.

Yes, we know that every model is it's own "unit" so to speak. But we have no idea if there are rules about having to target the closest model, or if leaders have special "look out sir rules" or anything of the sort that snipers may or may not negate.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    They haven't had anything like that in 23 years of 40k-adjacent skirmish games and I'd hate to see them implement something so fiddly. Better to put 'plot armor' modifiers when figuring out injuries.

But, you're right. I haven't played nü-Kill Team yet so I don't know for certain: I'm just assuming based on precedent. The last edition to have both Kill Team rules and 'closest model' rules for characters was 4th. But then 4th edition Kill Team was a very different beast from anything we've gotten since.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Having picked up some smurfs from a friend on the cheap I'm currently sitting on playable quantities of admech, DG, smurfs and tyranids.

Thinking about selling my DG as a result just to streamline things a bit... is bartertown the best place to buy/sell/trade?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Bartertown is the safest option for trading for sure, it might take awhile though. eBay will get the most eyeballs looking at your stuff, but you won’t get as much from selling.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I just remembered that I got the chaos side of Execution Force last year. I also have Space Hulk. This means that between the Genestealers and the Cultists/CSM I probably have a decent shot of having (when added to my Space Marines and Orks) four potential armies to play Killteam with.

I hope the rules leak early, I want to start building abd painting dudes but I don't want to commit to any weapon options without knowing anything about them.

• Options
    Looking around my collection I have a lot of potential kill teams.

Finally my decades of indecisiveness pay off!

• Options
    Chaos Space Marines are up

Looks like cultists and marines

I guess Grey Knights will be the only team with terminators?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

I would say the list is a bit misleading as it is "marines with a billion load outs" so marines/havocs/chosen/cults possibly.

Culitist are you chaff though. Also cultist work in three systems now. Necromunda, 40k, and Kill Team.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Huh, are there any 2+ saves on any of the kill team units, yet?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I would say the list is a bit misleading as it is "marines with a billion load outs" so marines/havocs/chosen/cults possibly.

Culitist are you chaff though. Also cultist work in three systems now. Necromunda, 40k, and Kill Team.

Which makes me wonder why they haven’t re-released the Dark Vengeance Cultists (all of them) as a separate box yet.

• Options

I want to hope there'll be terminators but it'll probably just be the power armor marine entry and very boring the way Harlequins have just Players. The only powered armor GK unit that's even slightly atypical is the Interceptor but no one else gets jump units so I doubt that also.

They haven't shown any other 2+ save units but there have been plenty of multiwound guys.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Alpha Legion time!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    The inclusion of cultists in kill teams probably means that DG are destined to just be plague marines and pox walkers

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    With how the armies have been so far I’d be quite shocked if we saw terminators for GK.

Keep in mind we haven’t seen a single psyker so far so that alone is going to make GK and Thousand Sons very elite forces.

• Options
    The Tyranid preview stated that Warriors were good anti-psykers, which seems like an odd statement considering the lack of them so far.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Psykers being useful depends entirely on the psychic powers. We learn this lesson from 40k, where I'd say GK are disadvantaged because they have a +1 invuln psychic power instead of a +1 invuln army-wide rule like Custodes do, etc.

• Options
    The three pieces of 3D printed Imperial Knight upgrades I bought are almost done. I'm so excited to get them. Been looking forward to turning my Imperial Knight into a Space Wolves knight.

• Options
    That reminds me I 3D printed my first modular piece of 40k terrain today as a test, surface is a bit rougher than I'd like, curious how it will take to primer and washes and whatnot, but the price (free) was right:

gC8DMDK.jpg

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    nnG5WTtEnBuhs4tUDXfUMBIf_7fEn-pLM6oBbGaluMA.jpg?w=900&s=010ef904202e5035769cdbdf732305a7

That is a lot of stuff inside the Kill Team box. I'm really torn on whether I want to pick it up or just the rulebook...

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Thankfully I can happily wait to appraise Killteam without spending money yet as pretty much everyone in my FLGS seems to be getting the box so I'll try theirs out.

I do hope it's any good.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I am getting the box because the terrain inside it is worth almost 100 bucks by itself.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Saw a scan of point values for Necrons in kill team.

15 per Deathmark
    10 per Flayed One
    16 per Immortal
    12 per Warrior

Wonder what the total point scale is.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).