Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WH40K] Previews galore!

14849515354101

Posts

  • BizazedoBizazedo regular Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

    Mostly. If something is set up during deployment in a weird way (like Space Marine Scouts) then it doesn't work. If something's being redeployed as if they were coming from reinforcements or are reinforcements (like Eldar Rangers or Orks using Da Jump) then you can use Forewarned to shoot them.

    Be prepared for it to cause arguments, since even though it's been FAQed it's a little bit unclear still.
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    It's GW's own fault, everyone played it as Da Jump, etc. being affected by it.

    Then GW posted the Beta Deep Strike nerf and said that Da Jump, Interceptor Shunt, etc. do NOT count as coming in from reinforcements.

    So.. yea
    So, just to be clear, and I only put this because of Lanloarn's comment about it not counting as coming in as reinforcements, a Veil of Darkness, Deceiver move, or Upon Wings of Fire for Blood Angels do not count then and won't get shot up by 10 dark reapers?

    And yes, the #1 above with horizontal versus vertical distance allowed Blood Angels to rip me to shreds.

    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • InquisitorInquisitor regular Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My Gue'vesa Kill Team is almost entirely built. I just need to do a little green stuff and a little sanding to fix the transition from the imperial guns to the tau barrels.

    La'rua Gue'vesa: Lhas'rhen'na (Human Taskforce: Noble Sacrifice)
    B1pmydy.jpg
    szKcTS8.jpg
    Leader:
    Gue'vesa'ui Burke “Ko'vash”
    “We have to prove our species' worth to the Greater Good.”
    bSHPIDJ.jpg
    Veteran:
    Gue'vesa'la Vasquez “Monat”
    “Imperium? T'au? Just give me a gun and a target.”
    2s8vKE4.jpg
    Medic:
    Gue'vesa'la Dietrich “Kais”
    “Science can not stop while ethics catches up.”
    iKqv4aT.jpg
    Comms:
    Gue'vesa'la Hudson “Shovah”
    “Movement. Signal's clean. Range 20 meters.”
    4po3Nt6.jpg
    Grunt (potential sniper specialist later in campaign):
    Gue'vesa'la Drake “Mont'yr”
    “Rounds complete.”
    osHv96y.jpg
    Experimental Biological Weapons Team
    Gue'vesa Apone
    Gue'vesa Crowe
    Gue'vesa Ferro
    “Advisement to all T'au units operating in the same theater as the EBW team: Do not come within 200 meters at any time.”
    mQPh8rc.jpg
    Gue'la Hicks
    Gue'la Bishop
    Gue'la Frost
    Gue'la Wierzbowski
    “Here is your shoulder armor and your primer on the teachings of Commander Puretide. Welcome to the Greater Good.”

    I whole-heartedly approve of the de-weebification of Tau.

    I am actually pulling from Japanese and Japanese American history for some of the Kill Team backstory I am working on.

    Unit 731 and the 442nd Infantry Regiment though. So not your typical weeb look at Japan. I figure if you are going to use Japanese inspiration for a faction like a Tau, you can’t just cherry pick the bits you like.

  • BurnageBurnage irregular Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

    Mostly. If something is set up during deployment in a weird way (like Space Marine Scouts) then it doesn't work. If something's being redeployed as if they were coming from reinforcements or are reinforcements (like Eldar Rangers or Orks using Da Jump) then you can use Forewarned to shoot them.

    Be prepared for it to cause arguments, since even though it's been FAQed it's a little bit unclear still.
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    It's GW's own fault, everyone played it as Da Jump, etc. being affected by it.

    Then GW posted the Beta Deep Strike nerf and said that Da Jump, Interceptor Shunt, etc. do NOT count as coming in from reinforcements.

    So.. yea
    So, just to be clear, and I only put this because of Lanloarn's comment about it not counting as coming in as reinforcements, a Veil of Darkness, Deceiver move, or Upon Wings of Fire for Blood Angels do not count then and won't get shot up by 10 dark reapers?

    And yes, the #1 above with horizontal versus vertical distance allowed Blood Angels to rip me to shreds.

    As I understand things currently, for the purposes of Forewarned and similar abilities or stratagems, anything which redeploys a unit causes them to count as if they were coming in from reinforcements and are thus a valid target.

    For the purposes of the Beta Deep Strike change they do not count as if they were coming in from reinforcements.

    Yes, this is needlessly confusing.

    KhraulMazzyx
  • BizazedoBizazedo regular Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Yes, this is needlessly confusing.
    It is, but thank you for answering it. It means that I just have to bumrush him with Wraiths, I suppose. A lot of Wraiths.

    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against the Irish) Registered User regular
    Great googly moogly, it's been a bad week for Keter Team. So many 1s on the after battle roll. I lost my leader, a plasma gunner scion, and an guardsman.

    Also, I learned the hard way about starting too close to pox walkers.

  • LanlaornLanlaorn regular Registered User regular
    I can't find the original quote because it was posted on Facebook and that's just a terrible place to find any old information, but as I understand it GW said "those powers don't count as coming in from reinforcements" - with no "for the purposes of the Beta Deep Strike nerf" caveat.

    So, yes, originally, Rules As Written, all those things count for Forewarned but today GW said something explicitly to the contrary and you'll get an argument with regard to what they intended to say when they clarified that.

  • BizazedoBizazedo regular Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I can't find the original quote because it was posted on Facebook and that's just a terrible place to find any old information, but as I understand it GW said "those powers don't count as coming in from reinforcements" - with no "for the purposes of the Beta Deep Strike nerf" caveat.

    So, yes, originally, Rules As Written, all those things count for Forewarned but today GW said something explicitly to the contrary and you'll get an argument with regard to what they intended to say when they clarified that.

    Damn it. Am I going to have to make a dakkadakka account.

    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • LanlaornLanlaorn regular Registered User regular
    Lol sorry, I didn't mean to give you a headache, just FYI be aware that there is official GW communication that muddies the waters here and what used to be cut and dry in the original rules is now possibly contentious.

  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Djzh3aVU4AUd3zx.jpg
    Dj2c3A5U4AAGbl5.jpg
    Dj2c3A3UYAgXXmW.jpg
    Dj2c3A4UwAAz6-S.jpg
    Dj7zBSHU0AAqQP7.jpg
    got quite a few eldar painted now! still need to name my craftworld tho

    AuralynxLanlaornInquisitorBizazedoKhraulExtreaminatusForceVoidhonovereLord_AsmodeusDiannaoChongSharp101Ianator
  • NealnealNealneal regular Registered User regular
    The answer is obviously Dorhai I think.

    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dorhai

  • KhraulKhraul regular Registered User regular
    I need to take more photos when I play

    And find some really dense city terrain

    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I picked up the Killteam starter pack with a friend and I snapped up the genestealer cult side. In future I plan to get more genestealer cult stuff if only to give my Killteam more variety if not to build a full army. One thing I'm wondering is what are the most compatible product lines I could use to make hybrids from xenos races? Assuming I don't just use Tau or auxillaries from them or the Dark Eldar for the purpose

    Lord_Asmodeus.gifLord_Asmodeus2.gifz1i30sg.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior regular Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    If you were to have the crazy idea of proxying these AoS power armoured dorfs as a Killteam, would that work?

    Some kind of marines I assume? I dunno what kind of weapons are available to the various sides in KT.

    The dwarf kit has big cannons, double barrel big cannon, even bigger cannon with blast shield, multiple barrel gun, chemical thrower and rocket launcher.

    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks regular The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    Put them on elevated bases and have them be a small band of mercenary squats that somehow survived the destruction of their homeworld by the tyranids.

    gRAhjXV.gif
  • KhraulKhraul regular Registered User regular
    If you were to have the crazy idea of proxying these AoS power armoured dorfs as a Killteam, would that work?

    Some kind of marines I assume? I dunno what kind of weapons are available to the various sides in KT.

    The dwarf kit has big cannons, double barrel big cannon, even bigger cannon with blast shield, multiple barrel gun, chemical thrower and rocket launcher.

    I saw someone on Reddit mod those into squat space marines.

    I think they just swapped in bolters, power packs, and helmets from primaries intercessor kits

    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • InquisitorInquisitor regular Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The more I play KT the more I think the following:

    Don’t think of it of “winning initiative” but rather “having the initiative.”

    When you have the initiative you want to play defensively. You shoot first, get clean sightlines. Ready up. Move back out of range of charges. Make your own charges either to force fall backs to deny future shooting or get stuck in if if you were close.

    When you don’t have the initiative you want to be aggressive. You will see all of the enemy movements. You will know where they are. You will know who is ready and who is not. You will know who can fall back from charges and who can not. Create local superiorities, divide and conquer.

    Inquisitor on
    Viking
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    The answer is obviously Dorhai I think.

    http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dorhai

    My guys team up with Dark Eldar and Harlequins, but Dorhai sound really cool too :o

  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks regular The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    Is it safe to say that Titanicus is going to be dead on arrival?

    Pricing it at $290 seems absolutely insane when the 40K and AOS starters are not only significantly cheaper at $160 but have significantly more models/value.

    gRAhjXV.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor regular Registered User regular
    I don’t want to deal with that price and forgeworld when Kill Team just hit and is way more accessible.

    Khraul
  • VikingViking regular Registered User regular
    yeah, Killteam has me looking at plastic for armies I would never consider playing before.
    no room for titanicus in my wallet right now while I have to make KTs for every 40k army ever

    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    InquisitorLord_AsmodeusKhraul
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I put all my T'au together. One day I will paint them but for now I will field them in KT games.

    7h80ARZ.jpg

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    NoughtExtreaminatusKhraulDayspring
  • NoughtNought regular Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Is it safe to say that Titanicus is going to be dead on arrival?

    Pricing it at $290 seems absolutely insane when the 40K and AOS starters are not only significantly cheaper at $160 but have significantly more models/value.

    I'm going to buy it, since Titan Legions era Epic was my gateway to figure battleing, but I think you're right.

    I love the idea of Titan on Titan battles, where the individual systrms matter. But iy seems like there is a lot of overlap with the niche that Kill Team covers.

    And since Titanicus is expensive even for a GW game and Kill Team is a game of figures you most likely already have, and can be used in at least one other popular game, it is most likely goibg to due on the vine.

    As I understand it Titanicus has been held back for some time now. I wonder if this release window is GW top having lost faith with it, and pushing it out to try and get some return on the investment.

    Nought on
    On fire
    .
    Island. Being on fire.
  • honoverehonovere regular Registered User regular
    I think the timing is not ideal, coming right on the heels of Kill Team. Might've been a better fit for the christmas shopping period.

    Lord_AsmodeusKhraul
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    It's expensive and crunchy, which might not be the best direction to be going given the relatively streamlined and cheap nature of the other GW games. I'll second the thought that Christmas might have been a better time for it.

    I hope it doesn't tank though. Giant robot battles being awesome and all that.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    FroThulhu
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    LOTR is also getting a new starter, cheaper-per-model reboxes, and rebranding this month and all of it is going in a big display that will be in stores.

    Please, GW, stop. I need money to pay bills!

    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean Battle.net Drkeenbean#1951
    Khraul
  • honoverehonovere regular Registered User regular
    Also the fact that you get identical models for both sides makes it less appealing on the surface I think. Mirror matches don't look that appealing generally and we really don't know enough about the rules to know if the game is going to be interesting despite that.

  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It seems AT is kind of doa with my club. Between KT, necromunda, and the big games of 40k and AoS and also shadespire no one really wants to drop $300 on an epic scale robot game. Also more than a few focus are former Battletech folks and just look at AT as kind if meh BT.

    03x29di.png
  • BurnageBurnage irregular Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I think the timing is not ideal, coming right on the heels of Kill Team. Might've been a better fit for the christmas shopping period.

    Coming in at the tail end of a really packed year for 40k and GW games in general seems like a bad time to release a game that's got a large buy-in cost.

    I mean, in the last twelve-ish months we've had, what? 40k's 8th edition, AoS's 2nd edition, Necromunda, Kill Team, Forgebane, nineteen Codexes?

  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Plus the second coming of Renegade.
    honovere wrote: »
    Also the fact that you get identical models for both sides makes it less appealing on the surface I think. Mirror matches don't look that appealing generally and we really don't know enough about the rules to know if the game is going to be interesting despite that.

    It's a Warlord and some Knights, but you should be able to tweak the loadouts of the units. I'm more annoyed that there are no Warhounds, because Warhounds are awesome.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Nought
  • honoverehonovere regular Registered User regular
    I think Reavers come before Warhounds. The latter haven't even been shown so far, I think. Probably because they didn't have existing CAD files for those from 40k.

  • LanlaornLanlaorn regular Registered User regular
    I've seen some picture of them standing near Bloodbowl minis and it seems close, but does anyone know the size comparison between an AT Warlord Titan and a 40k Questoris Knight?

    Some kitbashing/conversion potential for 40k Knights would be nice, although I'm definitely not buying the full game.

  • NoughtNought regular Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I've seen some picture of them standing near Bloodbowl minis and it seems close, but does anyone know the size comparison between an AT Warlord Titan and a 40k Questoris Knight?

    Some kitbashing/conversion potential for 40k Knights would be nice, although I'm definitely not buying the full game.

    I believe I've read somewhere that the Warlord Titan should be close to a 40k Knight.

    They didn't look quite that big in a yt video I saw a few weeks ago, where they unboxed the starter at a con.

    On fire
    .
    Island. Being on fire.
  • RiusRius regular Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Oh hey of course there's a 40k thread in hurr

    I'm gonna check out the last bunch of pages, see if folks are talking about Kill Team. But I popped in to say that my buddy came over with his core box terrain and a pair of armies, Necron and Tau, and we had our first matched play game. It was pretty dope!

    He's been into 40k since he was a kid, and back into miniature gaming for the last few years. I've never been (apart from a stint with the OG Mage Knight back in the day) but I've bought a box of Death Watch veterans and a cheapo box of easy assembly Reivers to pad out the 100 points a bit. Currently I'm still figuring out how I want to equip them all.

    Anyway, yeah, Kill Team. This seems pretty brilliant; small scale armies, progressive campaigns, playing field small enough to fit on a regular folding table. I think we're going to have a lot of fun.

    Edit: some sporadic discussion of Kill Team in the last 20 pages :rotate:

    Rius on
    KhraulViking
  • honoverehonovere regular Registered User regular
    I've seen some size comparisons, but can't remember exactly where. The Warlord was more the size of A Thanatar than a 40k Questoris.

    Here's a Thanatar next to a Knight
    DSCF9623.jpg
    and the Warlord on the same base size
    32349554_1797549173599004_3156048909491503104_n.jpg

    The Knights on the other hand seem pretty much the right size to proxy as some kind of robot Terminator for 40k.

  • LanlaornLanlaorn regular Registered User regular
    Hmm thanks, I'll keep an eye on it, I have this crazy urge to make a Knight look like a Battletech Warhammer variant.

  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Oh hey of course there's a 40k thread in hurr

    I'm gonna check out the last bunch of pages, see if folks are talking about Kill Team. But I popped in to say that my buddy came over with his core box terrain and a pair of armies, Necron and Tau, and we had our first matched play game. It was pretty dope!

    He's been into 40k since he was a kid, and back into miniature gaming for the last few years. I've never been (apart from a stint with the OG Mage Knight back in the day) but I've bought a box of Death Watch veterans and a cheapo box of easy assembly Reivers to pad out the 100 points a bit. Currently I'm still figuring out how I want to equip them all.

    Anyway, yeah, Kill Team. This seems pretty brilliant; small scale armies, progressive campaigns, playing field small enough to fit on a regular folding table. I think we're going to have a lot of fun.

    Just the 5 model box of veterans gets you to 100 points easy. My Deathwatch team is 5 veterans.

    You definitely want to equip one of them with a frag cannon.

    I like the infernous heavy bolter, flamers are really strong. I also regret putting a stalker pattern bolted on my leader with a xenophase blade. The more guns you can abuse the special ammo rule for Deathwatch the better. You also have good options for melee, with zealot and a thunder hammer you should be wounding any model on a 2+ but at the very best you are hitting on a 4+. Power swords are also good and Deathwatch get the storm shield which is nice too.

    Lots of variety with Deathwatch

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Khraul
  • RiusRius regular Registered User regular
    Stalker Pattern Boltguns get the special ammo, though?

    I do have one question that I could use some more opinions on.

    What can a Black Shield take with regard to wargear? He has no options listed at all. Does that mean he can't change anything? Do you have to build him with two power swords like he is in the box instructions, then? And if that's the case, what is the point of having two swords? I still only get 3 Attacks in the Fight phase, it's not like I can attack 3 times with each weapon.

    In other words, if I can't change the Black Shield's gear, I don't really know why I would assemble one of my five guys as a Black Shield. It does seem like it'd be OP to give him a Heavy Thunder Hammer or a Power Sword/Storm Shield combo, but still...

    I suppose it Looks Cool to have two swords, but that's about it. And the mechanical effects of rerolling failed Charge rolls plus having a 3rd attack are pretty good.

    Other than that, I am leaning towards including a Shotgun and a Frag Cannon guy at the least.

  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    Stalker Pattern Boltguns get the special ammo, though?

    I do have one question that I could use some more opinions on.

    What can a Black Shield take with regard to wargear? He has no options listed at all. Does that mean he can't change anything? Do you have to build him with two power swords like he is in the box instructions, then? And if that's the case, what is the point of having two swords? I still only get 3 Attacks in the Fight phase, it's not like I can attack 3 times with each weapon.

    In other words, if I can't change the Black Shield's gear, I don't really know why I would assemble one of my five guys as a Black Shield. It does seem like it'd be OP to give him a Heavy Thunder Hammer or a Power Sword/Storm Shield combo, but still...

    I suppose it Looks Cool to have two swords, but that's about it. And the mechanical effects of rerolling failed Charge rolls plus having a 3rd attack are pretty good.

    Other than that, I am leaning towards including a Shotgun and a Frag Cannon guy at the least.

    In KT? Then the blackshield can do anything under the first point in the wargear options section ("This model may take etc").

    So the reasonable options are boltgun, combi-melta/plasma, or stalker bolter; or storm shield + maul or sword.

    Ed: You could also take any of the bolter options + sword or maul

    [Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Khraul
  • RiusRius regular Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    If it's the first line (Veterans can take) then why not also the second line (which would allow for a HTH?) Only the third line refers to Veteran Gunners.

    Rius on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Stalker Pattern Boltguns get the special ammo, though?

    I do have one question that I could use some more opinions on.

    What can a Black Shield take with regard to wargear? He has no options listed at all. Does that mean he can't change anything? Do you have to build him with two power swords like he is in the box instructions, then? And if that's the case, what is the point of having two swords? I still only get 3 Attacks in the Fight phase, it's not like I can attack 3 times with each weapon.

    In other words, if I can't change the Black Shield's gear, I don't really know why I would assemble one of my five guys as a Black Shield. It does seem like it'd be OP to give him a Heavy Thunder Hammer or a Power Sword/Storm Shield combo, but still...

    I suppose it Looks Cool to have two swords, but that's about it. And the mechanical effects of rerolling failed Charge rolls plus having a 3rd attack are pretty good.

    Other than that, I am leaning towards including a Shotgun and a Frag Cannon guy at the least.

    In KT? Then the blackshield can do anything under the first point in the wargear options section ("This model may take etc").

    So the reasonable options are boltgun, combi-melta/plasma, or stalker bolter; or storm shield + maul or sword.

    Ed: You could also take any of the bolter options + sword or maul

    I was pretty disappointed at the abbreviated list of options in KT for my DW. Though normal deathwatch can have every single model kitted out like a character so I understand why.

    I am bringing a stalker in mine at least and probably a few other odd combos. Also a frag cannon and shotguns.

    03x29di.png
Sign In or Register to comment.