As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    If anyone is interested in more early Eldar development, early 40k development, or just some old school GW stuff, Gav Thorpe has an interview with Jes Goodwin about designing the Eldar, and a complete copy of the WD article in question.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Played my first match with the Five Guys on Monday night against my buddy playing his Tau. I realized somewhat belatedly that I built my entire team to have large amounts of AP; every unit has at least one attack mode with -3 AP, either always-on or conditional. Thanks to this, there were quite a few landed hits from my guys that it wasn't even possible for him to save against.

He had some pretty poor luck with rolling his own hits, though, and I basically shut him out. He conceded after my VP total started running away and I'd killed a third of his squad so we could move on to other things.

The Stalker-Pattern guy with Heavy specialization worked perfectly; no penalty for shooting after moving combined with the special ammo that adds a +1 vs obscured targets meant that I could pretty much move and shoot at any target not behind absolute cover, or threaten any area if I had the initiative, and have really nice odds of landing at least one hit. I really like that guy's flexibility and range. He's good against high Toughness targets too.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So here’s a fun(I lied it’s terrible) interaction.

A Death Guard tallyman regains a CP on a roll of seven on 2d6 when you use a Death Guard strategem.

Rerolls (as well as auto pass, interrupt and draw a secondary objective) strategems aren’t Death Guard.

So he can’t use his ability on the biggest chunk of your CP spending.

How's that work? The stratagems are in the codex and in the little box of Death Guard cards you can buy that have all of their stratagems.

The brb strategems have no faction assigned to them (and I don’t have my codex to hand but I’m certain they don’t appear in the codex). They do come in the card box but notably don’t have the icon for Death Guard specific strategems on them.

Poking around the net and the consensus is that this is correct.

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Was that the large or small terrain kit that came with all that?

I got the Grandmaster edition so I'm guessing the large kit. I had enough sprues inside to make 2 of each building the instructions had listed.

I got the big box and the two terrain boxes in the hope that there were different sprues.

There isn't. Only two different sprues.
    Small box has two sets, big box has four sets and the big terrain box has eight sets.

Good to know thank you!

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So wait, are the "Eldritch Raiders" associated with Yriel as someone said up-thread? Because I thought he was the guy from Iyanden (the Craftworld that got nearly eaten by the Tyranids), not Alaitoc.

Alaitoc wear dark blue armor with bright yellow helms and their symbol is a vertical, point-downward double-edged sword impaling an upward-facing horizontal crescent moon, all edged in bright green.
    Iyanden wear yellow armor with blue helms and have a gold torii gate framing a flame on a blue disc for their emblem.

The raiders definitely look more like Alaitoc in most of the old art you guys are posting.

My comrades-in-arms and I are doing the Doom of Iyanden as our Adepticon team tournament theme. We have two 'Nid players, one Craftworld Iyanden player, and then I'm doing Yriel and Company to come save the day (using the Craftworld rules).

The biggest thing I've struggled with as I'm getting things together is trying to really ensure that they come across as Yriel's Raiders and NOT as Alaitoc. The big thing I'm trying to do is add in more of that rad purple color to break up the blue/yellow pairing, and then I need to do more tiger stripes and other crazy stuff, very much pulling from the classic art. I'm also trying to mix in parts from other sets to break up the Craftwold aesthetic as well.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think I've found my Titan Legion.

Legio Ignatum, or if we are being less fancy about it, The Fire Wasps.

Definitely want to channel this old school scheme for them:

541px-IgnatumReaver.jpg

800px-IgnatumWarhounds.jpg

• Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    Today I played my first game of Kill Team, I have to say it was pretty fun. My Tau were defending in assassination against Dark Angels, and even tough I dropped a couple of marines early they managed to surround my leader and I was pretty much done for. But I had a lot of fun! I hadn't touched 40k in several years and this scale of conflict feels pretty nice, I see myself building a couple other kill teams from different factions.

The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    Well that seals it, I just found a very nice PDF to print banners and decals for the Fire Wasps.

Pretty much have to do it now.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I've gotten most of the bits I wanted before I started making my Genestealer Cult guys, just waiting on the green stuff to finish some detail work on the faces/heads of some and that kind of thing I can do after the fact. Right now my major concern is finally putting together a list which I've been putting off. For now, should I focus on putting together a core team, filling out all the available types of stuff I might want to use for a given mission, or go for all the specialty stuff now and fill in my roster with another box of hybrids later? I'll need to check to see how many guys I can actually make right now since that will probably weigh in as a factor as well.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    My fledgling Wolf army is coming along. I've got most of my stuff assembled, based black, and just finished putting down the first coat of grey.

So far I've got 2 6-man Grey Hunter Squads in Twin Lascannon Razorbacks (I've got the men for a third squad but I haven't assembled them yet, still need a 3rd Razorback), 3 Thunderwolf Cavalry with Thunderhammer and Storm Shield, and a Venerable Dreadnought with Frost Axe and Blizzard Shield. Right now all I need is a Wolf Lord on a Thunderwolf and a Rune Priest and I'll have a basic force I can use.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So the first two dudes I made I decided to use a couple of the heads I ordered, the cthood from victoria miniatures for the commander and a bald female from statuesque miniatures for the standard bearer. What I didn't know when I started the first guy was that the hybrid heads include a little bulbous bit at the bottom of the neck to help push up the mini's head. Fortunately, the larger of the round extrusions on all the sprues are just about the perfect size around to fill up the neck hole, and after I ground it down to about the right size and ground down the neck of the statuesque head a bit, I found it fit nicely for what I was going for. All in all I'm pretty happy with how both turned out. I am, however, going to need to get some tweezers for the more finnicky placements, and perfect my plier handling skills to hold down smaller mini bits so as to avoid grinding down my fingertips with the sandpaper.

Here's how they both look
    5wLRdQe.png

92z9lb4.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in more early Eldar development, early 40k development, or just some old school GW stuff, Gav Thorpe has an interview with Jes Goodwin about designing the Eldar, and a complete copy of the WD article in question.

I remember that Issue!
    I was given someone's Eldar army because they were joining the Navy right out of high school and felt I needed it since in their words {I doubt I would find people willing to play this game} Shock of Shocks I always found someone in the Corps that would!
    I really wanted to paint my Swooping Hawks like the middle or right one but I just did not know how and my mother was helpful in helping me learn how to paint minis but would say why not try your own colors as I think she was trying to hint a certain set of paints would have looked nice

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Swooping hawks are my favourite aspect. Even if for the longest time GW could never figure out what they were supposed to do. ( I also really like Scourges)

A plastic update for them could be soooo good. (again, see Scourges).

• Options
    Avoiding Hairesy:

reg-std-aug22-hairstyles.jpg?w=760&h=1641?w=760&h=1641

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That Gene Stealer and Space Wolves set looks nice.

Are there any Wolf Successor chapters? I can't seem to find any.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Nope because when the codex came out and Guilliman was like, "No more legions for the safety of the Imperium!" Russ was like, "Get bent you tightwad." Wolves are actually the only major original legion that may actually be at legion strength.

BT's also tell the codex to get bent and may be legion strength as well but it is split through a bunch of different crusades.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Nope because when the codex came out and Guilliman was like, "No more legions for the safety of the Imperium!" Russ was like, "Get bent you tightwad." Wolves are actually the only major original legion that may actually be at legion strength.

BT's also tell the codex to get bent and may be legion strength as well but it is split through a bunch of different crusades.
    Don't forget Dark Angel shenanigans.

"We're all separate chapters. Honest."

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Those forgeworld price hikes...

If future AT stuff is going to be through FW and not GW...

Yikes, just yikes.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Yikes, just yikes.

Citadel was deleting comments of people posting the prices in their region compared to what the actual converted price should be. Then they shut down comments and got review bombed. Then they shut down reviews.
    People are rightfully furious

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yikes, just yikes.

Citadel was deleting comments of people posting the prices in their region compared to what the actual converted price should be. Then they shut down comments and got review bombed. Then they shut down reviews.
    People are rightfully furious

Yup. FW was already niche and super expensive and this may have just killed a large chunk of sales in the non-UK market at least in the short term. I was going to get a couple of FW models at NoVA but the prices will be like this means I will be abstaining and getting more plastics.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'll never be against paying a little extra for convenience. They're going to get a lot more business from me now that I don't have to wait fucking weeks to get shit.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I compared the prices on the mechanical ordinaria piece, euro countries are taking at 10% hit. What the hell is GW thinking?

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I compared the prices on the mechanical ordinaria piece, euro countries are taking at 10% hit. What the hell is GW thinking?

Probably, "fuck it, they'll buy it anyway".

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    According to the last financial report FW lost £1.5 million because of the huge fluctuations in the pound. Yes lower pound is good for exports but FW stuff often has to be made to order and money is lost there when the price changes.

Considering Brexit is incoming it’s clear they are putting a big margin onto rates to act as a buffer. People keep quoting tariff figures and stuff and whilst that’s true now, it can very easily change.

It sucks for you guys (I’m uk based) but it’s an understandable business decision.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

US is taking like a 30% hike.

It makes sense unless everyone stops buying their stuff. Pretty much every I know considered FW stuff to be on the very edge of worth paying for.

• Options
    I haven't checked yet, how does the pricing work out when including the new flat shipping costs?

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Because of the hubbub I pulled the trigger on an order I’d been considering for a while. 3 Razorback Assault Cannon turrets. Came to $26 US each. With the fastest shipping they have it came to $114 (cause I need them before next weekend).

Probably the only thing I’ll ever order from them, but I don’t think it’s too terrible.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular

Aaaaaaactuuuually as of the Darm Imperium novel, Robbo G created a Primaris Space Wolves successor called the Wolfspear. Its kind of sad, there was a Fenrisian Primaris (with space wolf geneseed) all excited to be reuinited with Fenris and finally be a Space Wolf and then he gets his marching orders telling him he's joining the 'Wolf Spear.'

I was really hoping they'd have lore about them in the new codex but they were super conservative with new shit. Kinda sucks.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    According to the last financial report FW lost £1.5 million because of the huge fluctuations in the pound. Yes lower pound is good for exports but FW stuff often has to be made to order and money is lost there when the price changes.

Considering Brexit is incoming it’s clear they are putting a big margin onto rates to act as a buffer. People keep quoting tariff figures and stuff and whilst that’s true now, it can very easily change.

It sucks for you guys (I’m uk based) but it’s an understandable business decision.

Well i hope they lose 1.5 million again to consumer sentiment impacting sales. I'm not buying. Cant afford it, main studio treats me better.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

What about the Salamanders? They don't seem to have any successor chapters either.

Aren't the Fists and (most) of their successor chapters the same?

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

What about the Salamanders? They don't seem to have any successor chapters either.

The Black Dragons have long been implied to be Salamanders descendants, but other than that I don't know what the Salamander's deal was. AFAIK they've never been stated nor implied to be over-strength, so either their numbers were low enough by the end of the Heresy to make subdividing a moot point, or they must have made a few successors at the start. Could just be a matter of stricter population control after that point.

Sort of; most of the former legions retain pretty close ties to their successor chapters, with the Fists' having swordsmanship tournaments and other acts of jolly cooperation, while the Ultramarines' successors voluntarily act as a reserve force to the smurfs. And the Blood Angels probably have a support group for their geneseed's taint. But none of them are engaged in an ongoing conspiracy the way the Dark Angels' chapters are. The Fists are at least trying to obey the codex, that's why their successor, the Black Templars stand out. They didn't want to change their ways, so they went on crusade, and their perpetual state of being engaged in multiple separate crusades at any given time exploits a loophole allowing them to get around the restraints on numbers (as well as just generally making things bloody difficult for the notoriously slow-moving administratum to keep track of how many BT's are out there).

The Space Wolves get away with it presumably because of their legacy as the Emperor's executioners; no one really wants to get into that kind of fight with the force the Emperor trusted enough to call in when he needed someone or something purged.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I've never really looked into the lore for any army besides Space Wolves and Necrons.

What are those whacky Dark Angels getting up to?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Stragint wrote: »
    I've never really looked into the lore for any army besides Space Wolves and Necrons.

What are those whacky Dark Angels getting up to?

There was a schism that occurred during the Heresy that kept them out of the action. By the end of it their homeworld Caliban was almost completely obliterated (like, their fortress now stands on a large asteroid). Their Primarch Lion El'Johnson was aboard a fleet that carried out an orbital bombardment of Caliban followed by a ground invasion to suppress a rebel faction led by his former mentor Lucius. Only the mysterious Cypher knew the full story, but he and many of the other Dark Angels involved in the ground action were mysteriously warped to places across the galaxy. So in order to suppress the truth and avoid any possible accusations of heresy, the remaining Dark Angels (and their successors) began a millennia-spanning effort to hunt down every last one of the so-called "Fallen", while Cypher repeatedly and possibly miraculously escaped death many, many times as he tried to work his way closer to Holy Terra for a purpose GW kept a mystery for a very long time. I've kind of lost track of the narrative but I understand he's been working with the good guys since, so it must've turned out he wasn't one of the bad ones after all (something about trying to deliver Lion's sword to the Emperor?).

Anyway, the Dark Angels & their successors kept the whole incident, Caliban's fate, and the hunt a secret. Calling each other together when groups of Fallen where found, and arranging the deaths of any other imperials who even might have learned some of the details. Lot of 'strange accidents', 'must have been lost in the warp', 'friendly fire incidents', and 'we arrived too late to help, and could only avenge their defeat by the enemy'.

A popular joke online is to strike out anything telling what happened and follow it with what the DA's would say, as though they are editing your post.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

The Black Dragons have long been implied to be Salamanders descendants, but other than that I don't know what the Salamander's deal was. AFAIK they've never been stated nor implied to be over-strength, so either their numbers were low enough by the end of the Heresy to make subdividing a moot point, or they must have made a few successors at the start. Could just be a matter of stricter population control after that point.

Sort of; most of the former legions retain pretty close ties to their successor chapters, with the Fists' having swordsmanship tournaments and other acts of jolly cooperation, while the Ultramarines' successors voluntarily act as a reserve force to the smurfs. And the Blood Angels probably have a support group for their geneseed's taint. But none of them are engaged in an ongoing conspiracy the way the Dark Angels' chapters are. The Fists are at least trying to obey the codex, that's why their successor, the Black Templars stand out. They didn't want to change their ways, so they went on crusade, and their perpetual state of being engaged in multiple separate crusades at any given time exploits a loophole allowing them to get around the restraints on numbers (as well as just generally making things bloody difficult for the notoriously slow-moving administratum to keep track of how many BT's are out there).

The Space Wolves get away with it presumably because of their legacy as the Emperor's executioners; no one really wants to get into that kind of fight with the force the Emperor trusted enough to call in when he needed someone or something purged.

It's my understanding the Salamanders got caught in an ambush towards the end of the Heresy that devestated their numbers so they weren't called on to split during the First Founding and their numbers have always been low enough they don't produce a lot of successors. I'm pretty sure one of their bitterest foes is a group of Salamanders who fell to Chaos, the Dragon Warriors

• Options
    edited August 2018

It's my understanding the Salamanders got caught in an ambush towards the end of the Heresy that devestated their numbers so they weren't called on to split during the First Founding and their numbers have always been low enough they don't produce a lot of successors. I'm pretty sure one of their bitterest foes is a group of Salamanders who fell to Chaos, the Dragon Warriors

If you're referring to the Istvaan dropsite massacre, then yes that'd be my guess as well, but I haven't read any of the new lore from the Horus Heresy novel series, so I don't know how much time passed between that and Guilliman's establishment of the Codex Astartes.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Played a 1k point game tonight versus an Alaitoc Craftworld force against my Nephrekh Dynasty. I brought 6 Wraiths.

In one round, the Wraiths got wounded 13 times by Dark Reapers and made 11 of 13 saves. I love Wraiths.

I won via VPs and my Wraiths absolutely annihilated his Shining Spears, but if the game went on indefinitely I'd have lost because the last Wraith went down on overwatch versus the Reapers and my Destroyers only killed two Reapers on the same round the Wraith went down (so he had 8 left).

Luckily, that was turn 4 and he would never have caught me VP wise or tabled my remaining fleeing behind LoS guys. Reapers are evil.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options

If you're referring to the Istvaan dropsite massacre, then yes that'd be my guess as well, but I haven't read any of the new lore from the Horus Heresy novel series, so I don't know how much time passed between that and Guilliman's establishment of the Codex Astartes.

I think the current fluff is that the Salamanders had taken so many losses by the end of the Heresy that Vulkan didn't want to split up into chapters. It actually was a pretty serious sticking point, but the primarchs met for lunch and hashed things out and everything was cool. Now they're just weird and non-compliant, but nobody cares because they're cool dudes and everyone likes them. One book (I forget if it was a codex or one of the FF Deathwatch books) did mention that it was strange that there were no known successor chapters since the Salamanders are well liked, loyal, have stable geneseed, and (I think) have all their additional organs.

That Emperor's Executioners stuff is probably the worst fluff in recent memory. Even some of the authors have tried to walk it back by saying 'well maybe the Wolves just think they're the Emperor's Executioners'.

The Wolves are overstrength but nowhere near the old legion numbers, the legions were big. Really just too big to keep hidden unless you're keeping the vast majority of them kicking back at the Fang.

• Options
    It might have been retconned by now, but the numbers I remember for the legions were like between 12k and 250k at the peak of their strength with the Ultras being the largest and Space Wolves or Thousand Sons the smallest?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    It might have been retconned by now, but the numbers I remember for the legions were like between 12k and 250k at the peak of their strength with the Ultras being the largest and Space Wolves or Thousand Sons the smallest?

Seems about right. I think the Word Bearers were up there near the Ultramarines in size. Lexicanum, for what it's worth, has the Wolves at around 90k once the Heresy got rolling.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, thing with “keeping them hidden” is that the Wolves use extremely non-standard unit identification marks and make a habit of ‘changing’ them mid-campaign so no-one can easily keep track of who s where. Plus they regularly allow entire formations to detach and pursue their own agendas without apparently having any trouble replacing them, despite their notoriously finicky geneseed and reportedly high attrition rate in recruitment…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.