As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Was that the large or small terrain kit that came with all that?

I got the Grandmaster edition so I'm guessing the large kit. I had enough sprues inside to make 2 of each building the instructions had listed.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    How does a Warlord Titan compare in size to a 40k Questoris Knight? Are they close enough to swap bits or even be a kitbashed / conversion away from a stand-in?

I love how that thing looks but not really interested in Adeptus Titanicus

• Options
    The Warlords are going to stand a bit shorter from the 40k Knights, and I'd venture that the parts are not swappable directly without some decent conversion work.

The back of the box had a "actual model size" picture once built.
    Of4P58w.jpg

• Options
    Aw :( Is that Dreadnought size then, do you think?

• Options
    That's the closest comparable I'd say yeah.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

A lot bigger than a dreadnought, unless the Colonel has some really strange hand proportions. A knight stands eight inches, a handspan like that should be 5-6ish. A Primaris dreadnought comes in somewhere near 4 inches, while a standard dread is closer to 2.

*edit*
    Here's a direct comparison.

received_532974283797731.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Well then that's a very annoying middle ground, lol

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    See my edit above - it looks like you could get quite a bit of crossover.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I got the email for the Space Wolf stuff one thing stood out to me
    ijhr7vcjy4bb.jpg
    The Waterslides as my brother went yes finally the dancing wolf!
    Just I am kind of dismayed they don't have it yet on the website

So I wonder anyone getting it would be willing to part with the dancing wolf part of the sheet?

Dancing wolves? Do you mean the wolves rampant?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

A lot bigger than a dreadnought, unless the Colonel has some really strange hand proportions. A knight stands eight inches, a handspan like that should be 5-6ish. A Primaris dreadnought comes in somewhere near 4 inches, while a standard dread is closer to 2.

I suppose I hadn't actually handled a classic dreadnought in awhile, man they are a lot shorter than I remember.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Picture with a ruler for scale:

4df95254ae050a03199ee24c1e24135bbf649bd3c7d029f7fdc4b12cb0d1c826.jpg

Even though the models are gorgeous and the rules are great, I still find myself annoyed they went with such a large scale in many ways.

I want them to be more like the scale in red:

89ce83371c82c660836d1da52b7b59f7_8725.jpeg__thumb

Still probably gonna collect the game anyway because I am dumb, but definitely will be a slow grow project for me as a result.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    ijhr7vcjy4bb.jpg

So I wonder anyone getting it would be willing to part with the dancing wolf part of the sheet?

Dancing wolves? Do you mean the wolves rampant?

Yes just I know it as the dancing wolf
    dance_dance_wolf_by_pagels-d3hv3ri.gif
    As in the static view of it. It's kind of dancing

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    What is the ground/model scale for Titanicus? I can't seem to find this crucial piece of info.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    What is the ground/model scale for Titanicus? I can't seem to find this crucial piece of info.

Not 100% sure, but a warlord titan is about 6 inches tall as a miniature and 33 meters tall in the fluff.

• Options

Not 100% sure, but a warlord titan is about 6 inches tall as a miniature and 33 meters tall in the fluff.

If my math is on, that's about 1:217.

That's a weird scale.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    I really used to think Epic/space marine or whatever was a weird scale as it had many of the troops tiny and grouped as a slot

I remember Warmaster or whatever it was called before as I wanted certain figures from that as standards tops

• Options
    Epic is 1:300/1:285 though, which is a pretty common wargaming scale.

AT's scale is just...I get it, but don't get it.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    AT scale is "How do we sell Epic but make people buy new models from us instead of using the ancient collections they have had sitting in their garages for a decade, or buying an army dirt cheap off of ebay, or buying an army from the myriad of recasters".

The new scale being larger does mean that they can make more detailed models, which I will admit is pretty nice.

• Options
    The scale makes sense if you look at what they're trying to do with it. I've mentioned a couple of times about my old epic army and the titan legion I had. The knights were about the size of a skaven clan rat. Warhounds were a little smaller than a space marine. Even when you got up to an Imperator, the detail was pretty meager, with the height of a dreadnought but a lot less breadth. Sculpting technology has come a real long way since then, but keeping at that scale, you lose a lot of fine detail just because of the scale (the knight's weapons vs the titan's in the side by side pic helps show that).

The scale they chose lets them make really detailed kits while maintaining a 'reasonable' price point.
    Picture with a ruler for scale:

4df95254ae050a03199ee24c1e24135bbf649bd3c7d029f7fdc4b12cb0d1c826.jpg

I'm no carpenter, but every now and then those eyeballing skills the game has taught me come in handy. :3

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

If my math is on, that's about 1:217.

That's a weird scale.

1:220 is model train scale Z. So it makes at least some sense.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

I'm no carpenter, but every now and then those eyeballing skills the game has taught me come in handy. :3

I played a lot of 2ed Warmachine at a high tournament level. That was a game where there was no premeasurment but making a mistake with distances could lose you the game there and then. I got real good at getting distances right when eyeballing them.

It’s a useful skill in 8th edition because stopping your opponent to measure something (a heroic intervention range for example) is a huge warning sign.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    ijhr7vcjy4bb.jpg

they only sell the sheet in europe nowadays unfortunately.

i got, like, three sheets, awhile ago, but it's mine precious.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Matrias wrote: »
    ijhr7vcjy4bb.jpg

they only sell the sheet in europe nowadays unfortunately.

i got, like, three sheets, awhile ago, but it's mine precious.

Really that SUCKS! That's really well annoying as I just cannot get it why did they just lock it off to people in Europe? uhhh I cannot even get it as I tried to order it and it kicked me back to the US site with a big nope nothing here

Brainleech on
  • Options
    I think they call this a whoops-a-daisy

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/08/21/20th-aug-updated-space-wolves-warlord-traitsgw-homepage-post-2/
    These new Warlord Traits are official, and completely replace those found in the English versions of Codex: Space Wolves.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So Space Wolf warlord traits are fucking auras? There best be some sort of price to be paid elsewhere in the codex because that's one hell of a bit of power creep otherwise.

edit: Admittedly you need to do a thing in game for the aura to kick in, but that's still a major change.

daveNYC on
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Honestly, I know it's where they make some of their money, but they should just stop printing codexes. 12 months in and there's no printed rules you can use as printed. Just give us a living pdf.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I mean, on one hand it's good they fixed it so quickly. But on the other the codex I don't even have yet is already out of date?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Honestly, I know it's where they make some of their money, but they should just stop printing codexes. 12 months in and there's no printed rules you can use as printed. Just give us a living pdf.

If you buy them electronically this is exactly what they are.

But folks like buying books. I do. I like the feel of a codex in my hands.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm both annoyed with this and pretty whatever. It sucks but they at least let everyone know basically right away and gave the page to us for free.

So GW sent me a tracking # for my codex going to the GW store near me which is cool but now I know it is there, waiting for me to come pick it up and I can't grab it until Saturday.

I want it. I want it now.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I was wondering what happened to these actually. They were mentioned in the WarCom article but none of the reviewers seemed to notice this awesome new mechanic…

Heh. Saga of the Warrior Born plus the Armour of Russ = fighting before Slaaneshi daemons when they charge. Awesome.

Oh wow, just re-read the Saga Of Majesty and it is insane once it goes “active” - first, it buffs its own aura to 9" so that’s a 20" bubble of no morale checks. But also any characters in that same boosted bubble get the buff to their own auras. Wow.

Seems like a really good thing you can only have one of these…

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Saga of the Bear is a 6+ FNP whose aura trigger is the warlord making a save. Saga of the Hunter is similarly trivial. At least activating Saga of Majesty requires a bit of work.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    A lot of the best warlord traits were already auras, you just had to put zero work into having them fire.

If anything these space wolf ones seem bad by comparison.

Your warlord needs to make a save? Well I couldn’t target your warlord until we was the closest model anyway, and now I’m definitely just killing everything around him first.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Saga of Majesty is one of those that looks good but I doubt I'll ever actually use it because the trigger is way too situational. I'll probably stick with Saga of the Bear or Hunter, cause at least those you can predict for the most part.

• Options
    Hunter looks fun because it actually promotes leading from the front. Have you Warlord and units adance, charge with the Warlord and now the other units can also charge. No idea how actually feasible that is.

• Options
    IMO Hunter is definitely the best one, yea.

• Options
    Saga of the Hunter is going to lead to some hilarious moments sometimes.

Where the whole Space Wolf army advances, ready to charge into close combat. And the leader advances, and charges, and fails the charge, and then flubs the command re-roll, and fails the charge again, and now the entire army can't charge.

I think most of the time it will work just great but those few times when it faceplants, it is going to faceplant comically hard. :D

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Surely a wise move would be to include a code in each book for an online version. A nice book a lore and an easy to access online PDF?

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Saga of the Bear is a 6+ FNP whose aura trigger is the warlord making a save. Saga of the Hunter is similarly trivial. At least activating Saga of Majesty requires a bit of work.

If your warlord is making saves early though that means they are being shot at which is often not the best thing turn one

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Surely a wise move would be to include a code in each book for an online version. A nice book a lore and an easy to access online PDF?

This will never happen as people would resell the code because people are garbage.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    The rules are already available for free online for anyone who wants them, 40k rules information piracy is rampant.

IMO Games Workshop should just realize that the people who are buying codices are doing so because they like to physically hold a codex or put one on their bookshelf and should just give the rules away for free on their website, PDFs, a wiki and an army builder. I think they won't see a significant decline in the number of physical codex purchases and it will be easier to keep track of the current state of the rules if you can just trust the army builder to be right.

Corvus Belli does this for Infinity and this model has allowed them, a much smaller company with no big IP draw, to not only survive but grow pretty impressively.