As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    My understanding was that the Black rage was only ever triggered on the eve of battle. Which would be fine if the Blood Angels weren't....super soldiers always fighting wars. Now that Primaris marines exist, there's a way to create blood angels that doesn't involve injecting blood from a dead primarch.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The red thirst is a gene seed flaw.

The black rage is a psychic aftershock of sanguinius death. Presumably Primaris marines don’t have it because thier geneseed predates that, whilst the afflicted seed had been passed on and on.

The intresting thing is here is we know Death Guard (and other chaos forces presumably) steal geneseed from other marines so either they can fix flaws, or there’s chaos dudes with the red thirst or wulfen changes or something.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    A chaos marine with the black rage seems like a neat moral quandary for a story.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    An anthology of short stories where the main character is a CSM with the Black Rage, one story for each of the traitor legions.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I picked up the new Kill Team Mordelai box so I could get another five Marines and some trees. I was amused to discover that the included rules for unit costs are the full 40k rules, not specifically for Kill Team.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I picked up the new Kill Team Mordelai box so I could get another five Marines and some trees. I was amused to discover that the included rules for unit costs are the full 40k rules, not specifically for Kill Team.

Yeah, I got an Ork box from the Kill Team event at the NovaOPEN and I was rather surprised they included full 40k rules in that box too. And I was also surprised at how bad the custom mega blasta is.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    God damnit, GW put the twitter dog rate meme into today's article. To be fair, it is a good dog.

edit: Aximillion's special rule in Nitsch's squad is the worst!

edit edit: And the meme is gone.

honovere on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    I never got around to writing it, but it could have been cool if the Tau anwser to battle titans was allying with Squats/Demiurg since the defining thing for Squats in the old Epic Titan Ligions was their fortress sized super heavy vehicles that were an even match for Titans.
    In the case of the Cyclops, more than even.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    Hello. To chime in with Blood Angel geneseed issues.

They have 2 issues

1. The Red Thirst which is the whole "we need blood and we lose our shit in the middle of a fight and become stronger and faster beserkers".
    2. The black rage, where they have a hallcination that they're actually their primarch in his last battle with Horus. However suffering from this somehow allows them to channel extra strength etc which means they can take extra damage.

It's a bit confusing because the Red Thirst can happen in the middle of the battle. The black rage doesn't. It happens on the eve of battle when a Blood Angel is praying/meditating before they get deployed.

Interestingly, when Cawl was creating Primaris Space marines he decided that the Red Thirst was purposely implemented by the Emperor and decided not to fuck about with it. Which is why Primaris Space marines do not suffer from the Black Rage (as that is a side effect of the previous bodge job implementation of creating Blood Angels) but they do suffer from the Red Thirst.

Wait so when Cawl arrived with Primaris reeinforcements going "these are faster, stronger, and don't suffer from genedefects" and the BA probably were like "Whoa, you cured us from the red thirst?", he went "lol, nope"?

I love that in DI Cawl was all like "jelly-man, gotta use all them tools bruh... Check these sweet loyalist world eaters" and Gillyman was all mad about it.

I'd love to see loyalist primaries traitor legions deployed just to see how they'd fair without all the chaos taint and stuff.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The red thirst is a gene seed flaw.

The black rage is a psychic aftershock of sanguinius death. Presumably Primaris marines don’t have it because thier geneseed predates that, whilst the afflicted seed had been passed on and on.

The intresting thing is here is we know Death Guard (and other chaos forces presumably) steal geneseed from other marines so either they can fix flaws, or there’s chaos dudes with the red thirst or wulfen changes or something.

I mean... When you get to where your head and neck are a mass of sprawling tentacles and your left arm is a crab pincer, what's a little black rage?

Black rage is probably the brand of coffee kharn has in the morning to warm up before collecting skulls

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    I never got around to writing it, but it could have been cool if the Tau anwser to battle titans was allying with Squats/Demiurg since the defining thing for Squats in the old Epic Titan Ligions was their fortress sized super heavy vehicles that were an even match for Titans.

I thought the Tau’s equivalent of a Titan was the Manta.

I don’t think that Titan’s really fit the Tau’s fighting philosophy but we’ve been getting bigger and bigger battle suits so who knows.

I did always like those squat land trains from epic though.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

They have 2 issues

1. The Red Thirst which is the whole "we need blood and we lose our shit in the middle of a fight and become stronger and faster beserkers".
    2. The black rage, where they have a hallcination that they're actually their primarch in his last battle with Horus. However suffering from this somehow allows them to channel extra strength etc which means they can take extra damage.

It's a bit confusing because the Red Thirst can happen in the middle of the battle. The black rage doesn't. It happens on the eve of battle when a Blood Angel is praying/meditating before they get deployed.

Interestingly, when Cawl was creating Primaris Space marines he decided that the Red Thirst was purposely implemented by the Emperor and decided not to fuck about with it. Which is why Primaris Space marines do not suffer from the Black Rage (as that is a side effect of the previous bodge job implementation of creating Blood Angels) but they do suffer from the Red Thirst.

Wait so when Cawl arrived with Primaris reeinforcements going "these are faster, stronger, and don't suffer from genedefects" and the BA probably were like "Whoa, you cured us from the red thirst?", he went "lol, nope"?

I love that in DI Cawl was all like "jelly-man, gotta use all them tools bruh... Check these sweet loyalist world eaters" and Gillyman was all mad about it.

I'd love to see loyalist primaries traitor legions deployed just to see how they'd fair without all the chaos taint and stuff.

How's the writing in dark imperium? There seems to be a lot of background establishing in it.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I don’t think that Titan’s really fit the Tau’s fighting philosophy but we’ve been getting bigger and bigger battle suits so who knows.
    At a certain point, they will put a battle suit inside of a bigger battle suit, and once that matryoshka is open, you can go as big as you want.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Nought wrote: »

I thought the Tau’s equivalent of a Titan was the Manta.

They do seem to be pretty reasonable about it, because at a certain point they go 'while a bigger battle suit would be cool, mobility has it's charm too, so, aeronautic weapons platforms it is!' I'd imagine if they need to mount imperator level firepower, they could make a Manta that drops the 3,000 point army transport capacity to just load up with more gun.

They have 2 issues

"We have something to prove."

Which decides me on now painting the primaris marines in my SM army in original Death Guard colors. I'd alluded to it being part of their background in other ways, like the MKIII models I used for sternguard being pointed white and green, so doing that with primaris would be cool.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options

They have 2 issues

How's the writing in dark imperium? There seems to be a lot of background establishing in it.

In one of the white dwarfs not long after Primaris launch they had some schemes for all Primaris chapters. One of them was purple boys with a redacted geneseed source, who were really into parties. The model had a bunch of candles on it, actually looked sweet.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    At a certain point, they will put a battle suit inside of a bigger battle suit, and once that matryoshka is open, you can go as big as you want.

<<Insert Gurren Lagann meme here>>

The Tau response to learning about Titans is one of those things that just makes me kind of smile.
    "What, that's ridiculous. Nobody would ever build a weapon platform that large. These humans are lying to us.
    Fast forward a few years/ expansion campaigns
    "So, that nutjob that we were laughing at for designing impractically large battle suits... he's still around, right?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    There's a semi-official Sons of the Phoenix primaris chapter out there. Mostly white, but a purple arm and gold trim.

Claims primarch is Dorn which is an odd misspelling of Fulgrim.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is $10 for a Space Wolves Venerable Dreadnought gun arm with each weapon option good? I don't know how I'd be able to magnetize each of the guns into the gun arm so I figured I'd just buy more arms.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options

They have 2 issues

Even in the context that most Warhammer stuff is pretty pulpy, it's still not great.

I grabbed the audiobook, it might be better on paper though.

It establishes a lot of cool canon for the new Imperium, but the writing itself is pretty meh.

There's interesting parts where Guilliman is all "shit got grimdark while I had a nap" or where irrelevant plot points are covered by primaris marines to establish how cool their new swag is.

I won't spoil it, but the best plotline in the book has nothing to do with any of the big names.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    There’s plenty of renegade space wolves and blood angels, so you could conceivably have Chaos war bands with Possessed wulfen, black rage Berzerkers, plus a bunch of Dark Angels whose secret geneseed flaw is being huge assholes.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    There’s plenty of renegade space wolves and blood angels, so you could conceivably have Chaos war bands with Possessed wulfen, black rage Berzerkers, plus a bunch of Dark Angels whose secret geneseed flaw is being huge assholes.

But... is that really a secret?

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    daveNYC wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    If I saw that Dreadnought on the field of battle I would call the Inquisition immediately.

Space Wolves are the mary sue faction of the marine lineup though, so odds are they'd find some way to tell them Inquisitor to go to hell and get away with it with literally no repercussions whatsoever.

That's actually kind of why I liked the thing about them being the emperor's executioners. Someone the other day expressed disdain for it, and I don't know if it's that they don't like the connotations it has about the wolves, or how it was brought up in the lore (I've just seen it thrown around in fan discussions), but if the wolves were the emperor's means of punishing treachery while he was still around that makes a great in-universe justification for why they were able to engage in open conflict with the Inquisition with only minor consequences after the first war for Armageddon. In a theocratic society predicated on the emperor's infallibility, choosing sides between two groups he expressly trusted to deal with subversive elements would present a major dilemma. Whereas if the wolves are just another space marine chapter/former legion, it doesn't seem like they'd have been able to get away with so much.

Having them as the official executioners doesn't improve things all that much. It provides cover for why the Wolves are able to get away with things, but in doing so it elevates them above the other first founding chapters based on the traits one would logically look for in such a role. The whole idea that the Wolves are the best at Space Marine-ing because their job included potentially having to take on the other legions.
    i was going to say, the reason people don't like the executioner thing it is because the relationship folks have with their favourite chapter is often the same as their relationship with their favourite football club, and god help the heavens if GW one chapter some interesting status over the others. it was a cool element but because fans were insecure people raged about it.

Anyways, its not that they're 'better' at marineing but they have the spiritual and mental disposition that make them trusted to do the job and then move on. They're supremely loyal to their friends and bitterly ruthless to anyone who betrays that loyalty. That loyalty combined with the autonomy they operate with right down to their organisational structure also means you don't need to give them a lot of oversight and worry about eventually needing executioners for your executioners. So they're suited to it, just like the Ultramarines are suited to running shit and building empires and Dark Angels are suited to being secret dickholes.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

If they make a Titan sized battlesuit that isn't a voltron style robot made out of other battlesuits joined together they've fucked up.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Trying out Killteam tomorrow using my Goliath gang as proxy orks. The models translate across pretty well!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If anything I always felt like being the emperor’s executioners would be a black mark for the Space Wolves. It’s like the Romans, anyone who celebrated a triumph during a civil war was looked at like an asshole. Triumphs were celebrated for beating not-Romans.

• Options
    Space Wolves may have been the enforcers during 30k, but I don’t think they really are anymore with the Ecclesiarchy and High Lords in charge. Minotaurs and Sisters of Battle are the current executioners I think.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    i thought the minotaurs were primaris taken out of the jar to early since the cursed 13th founding i thought was a vault of the primaris was found and put into circulation

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So is one box of Kabalite Warriors acceptable for a Kill-Team squad and should I probably pick up a Wych box before too long?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    If I saw that Dreadnought on the field of battle I would call the Inquisition immediately.

Space Wolves are the mary sue faction of the marine lineup though, so odds are they'd find some way to tell them Inquisitor to go to hell and get away with it with literally no repercussions whatsoever.

That's actually kind of why I liked the thing about them being the emperor's executioners. Someone the other day expressed disdain for it, and I don't know if it's that they don't like the connotations it has about the wolves, or how it was brought up in the lore (I've just seen it thrown around in fan discussions), but if the wolves were the emperor's means of punishing treachery while he was still around that makes a great in-universe justification for why they were able to engage in open conflict with the Inquisition with only minor consequences after the first war for Armageddon. In a theocratic society predicated on the emperor's infallibility, choosing sides between two groups he expressly trusted to deal with subversive elements would present a major dilemma. Whereas if the wolves are just another space marine chapter/former legion, it doesn't seem like they'd have been able to get away with so much.

Having them as the official executioners doesn't improve things all that much. It provides cover for why the Wolves are able to get away with things, but in doing so it elevates them above the other first founding chapters based on the traits one would logically look for in such a role. The whole idea that the Wolves are the best at Space Marine-ing because their job included potentially having to take on the other legions.
    i was going to say, the reason people don't like the executioner thing it is because the relationship folks have with their favourite chapter is often the same as their relationship with their favourite football club, and god help the heavens if GW one chapter some interesting status over the others. it was a cool element but because fans were insecure people raged about it.

Anyways, its not that they're 'better' at marineing but they have the spiritual and mental disposition that make them trusted to do the job and then move on. They're supremely loyal to their friends and bitterly ruthless to anyone who betrays that loyalty. That loyalty combined with the autonomy they operate with right down to their organisational structure also means you don't need to give them a lot of oversight and worry about eventually needing executioners for your executioners. So they're suited to it, just like the Ultramarines are suited to running shit and building empires and Dark Angels are suited to being secret dickholes.

There's certainly several stories about how the space wolves are also dumb as dog shit. "Tactics? That's when we run at them yelling, right?"

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Saw a picture of someone who made a Redemptor Bjorn. It looked pretty cool.

I'm considering grabbing 3 Vindicators or 3 Predator tanks for my next Space Wolves purchase. Not sure which though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I'm considering grabbing 3 Vindicators or 3 Predator tanks for my next Space Wolves purchase. Not sure which though.

I think you will get more use out of preds than vindis.

I tested linebreaker with three vindis a few times. If you opponent is a castle you can do a lot of damage with it thanks to them all being centered around a point for you to shoot.

But most of the time, especially if you go second you will just lose 1 or 2 turn 1 and that ends a lot of their usefulness.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    None of the mortal wound in an area stratagems/abilities are all that great. If it was something they did as a bonus to their normal shooting it would be great, but losing all their firepower isn’t really worth it. Unless you’re fighting Tau. Nothing feels better than popping the AoE stratagem in the middle of a bunch of fire warriors and their 20 drones, and watching it all fade away.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Didn't the Wolves used to be able to take Leman Russ' of some sort? I wanna say it's the type with dual autocannons... the Exterminator?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Didn't the Wolves used to be able to take Leman Russ' of some sort? I wanna say it's the type with dual autocannons... the Exterminator?

4r2mzqs22a3d.png
    Why yes

This is my brother's coveted mini as he has said it is his goal to paint him to what he deserves {I got him long ago for my brother when he first started out 40k it was not his first mini probably his 3rd 5th with the wolves

I plan on getting him the forgeworld one with the wolves for either Xmas or his birthday

The tank yes

jqyzrwawi1pa.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Now that I remember he had a Leman Russ tank for a time as in a few games that will be remembered as the war of the bridge he won all three because he used the tank as a bunker to hold the bridge I could not get near it or do enough damage to it

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    also, one thing, both the blood angels and space wolves are like

"we

...that's a flaw?

Oh man not since 3rd edition codex. You could use it a bit in 5th with the 3rd edition book and some faq hijinx..? But then the new codex came out and thst was that.

Also, wierd to see people talk about predators being better than vindis. Vindicators were a no brainer choice for, like, twenty years.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    About twenty years ago I used to play against a friend who had that Leman Russ model, and managed to persuade me to let him run it as a Primarch unit with 10s in all characteristics.

I... didn't win many games against that friend, looking back.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    also, one thing, both the blood angels and space wolves are like

"we

...that's a flaw?

Oh man not since 3rd edition codex. You could use it a bit in 5th with the 3rd edition book and some faq hijinx..? But then the new codex came out and thst was that.

Also, wierd to see people talk about predators being better than vindis. Vindicators were a no brainer choice for, like, twenty years.

Exactly. They have to switch the power curve to keep them models selling.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Gonna try out Killteam tomorrow. For now I'm taking what is painted, so Eldar it is.

Probably going with something like this
    Exarch
    - combat
    - shimmershield
    - power glaive
    DA
    - medic
    DA
    DA
    DA
    Storm Guardian Gunner
    - fusion gun
    Storm Guardian Gunner
    - fusion gun
    Ranger
    - sniper
    Ranger
    - leader

or this
    Exarc
    - leader
    - shimmershield
    - power glaive
    Ranger
    - sniper
    Ranger
    Guardian Defender
    - comms
    HWP
    - missile launcher
    Storm Guardian Gunner
    - fusion gun
    Storm Guardian Gunner
    - fusion gun
    DA
    - medic
    DA

The DA medic is basically the support to the Exarch, who in turn can protect 1 or two other guys with the shield when closing in. Multiple shot weapons might be dangerous though.

Not sure if the first team should get a comms guy instead of the sniper.

I'd rather have at least 1 flamer in the team but I haven't finished the conversion yet. Also working on a dual catapult Exarch. 5 points cheaper than the close combat version and with Asuryan's Blessing a bit of firepower.

Or I just take the guard out for a spin. decisions.
    Guardsman Segeant
    - leader
    - plasma pistol
    - power sword
    Guardsman Gunner
    - plasma gun
    Guardsman
    - comms
    - vox
    Guardsman
    Guardsman
    SW Guardsman Gunner
    - heavy
    - grenade launcher
    SW Guardsman Gunner
    - flamer
    SW Guardsman Gunner
    - flamer
    Tempestor
    - power sword
    Scion Gunner
    - demo
    - Flamer
    Scion
    Scion

honovere on
  • Options
    Honestly after playing a few games of kill team it feels like the opposite of 40k. The “horde armies” so guard, Orks and so on are garbage because it’s way too easy to just have cascading morale check failures where a bunch of guys die because you have a lot of them and they’re easy to kill, then you fail morale on the others, who then die because they are sitting ducks, and loop forever.

It’s at the point where you have an “elite” choice and “filler” choice the filler is a trap. Cultists, poxwalkers, Tzaangors and the like are basically just giving away morale for nothing. I’d rather just not spend the points if I have the option.