As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    A huge blob of guardians is a pretty serious threat with the number of shots it fires out, escpecially with various buffs. You sometimes see a unit of like, 20, played. It’s a niche application though.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Ya know, I wish the Intercessor box came with the extra skirt armor all the easy to build Primaris have.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    The Wraith kits are some of the better stuff if only because it’s one of the few plastic troops Eldar have.

I’ll be glad once all the codex’s are released because hopefully that means we start seeing ranges updated or some new stuff.

Opinions and all that but AoS has blown 40k out of the water when you look at what has been released.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Ok so they are continuing the war on Vigilus.
    yske7aa2f6w1.png
    But you get a spiritseer and a Primaris LT
    q8610635p51a.png
    sokyxks7hli9.png

It annoys me the interceptors from that have the plasma guns and the ones from the dark imperium box don't. I want that plasma.

They like the agressors in tooth and claw so you ca build them as you want.
    I might get it or wait till it's parted out a few weeks later

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    yske7aa2f6w1.png
    q8610635p51a.png
    sokyxks7hli9.png

It annoys me the interceptors from that have the plasma guns and the ones from the dark imperium box don't. I want that plasma.

Yea, the problem is the dark imperium interceptors didn't give the option, only the assault bolter option. I was gonna just cut the front off and hack some plasma guns to glue to the front but it would look so goofy compared to the actual thing.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    This weekends game was brutal. 1750, my Primaris as Crimson Fists vs a Imperial Guard army consisting of mostly tanks, including one superheavy. (Stormsword maybe? It was the one with the Vulcan Superheavy bolter). It was a Scouring mission, and through the skin of my teeth I managed a 7-7 tie, but only because my opponent rolled a 2 to see if the game continued after turn 4. Had it gone on he would have easily killed my remaining 6 marines and won. Things of note; Both squads of Aggressors and my Redemptor Dreadnought died on turn 1. Again. It was kind of my fault for positioning them front and center but honestly with there slow speed and short range they have to set up close or they'll never do anything anyway. Also, Primaris have a seriously problem killing tanks from a distance, but if you can managed to get within Rapid Fire range Hellblaster can just melt tanks. Granted they had a Captain behind them so they could safely overcharge, but 5 Hellblasters managed to kill a Leman Russ in 1 round of shooting (it had taken a couple wounds to bolt rifle fire). The problem is getting the 5 guys within 15" without them being slaughtered. My HQ did their jobs. My Captain in Gravis Armor tanked the fire from 3 Leman Russ's while stuck out alone in the open before going down. And my Warlord spent most of the game walking behind Hellblasters so they could overcharge but on the last turn he heroically charged the superheavy. He managed to do 12 damage to it with his relic powerfist, then died to it's treads, but with the strategem that lets him fight again upon death he did another 19.

I'm not sure what to do with the Dread and the Aggressors. I like them, but they've yet to actually accomplish anything but draw all the fire. Which I guess helps everything else live longer but it's not great. The GW store owner had an idea that's a little cheesy but I'm tempted. I'm already running my army as 2 detachments. A battalion with a Captain, an Lt, 4 Intercessor squads, 2 Hellblaster squads, and 2 Riever squads, and a Vanguard detachment with a Gravis Capt, an Lt, 2 Aggressor squads, and the dread. He pointed out that I could run the Vanguard detachment as Raven Guard, then use the strategem to let the Aggressor's come in on a board edge. It seems a tad much, but I do like the idea of my Aggressors appearing somewhere where they can actually do something. Plus, I already drop my Rievers in, so they could end up supporting each other. Still pondering it, might give it a go my next game and see how it plays.

Pics.

Turn 1, after his movement but before shooting. (Notice the Dread and Aggressors in the middle? Yeah, they won't be there long.)
    t5hw7s.jpg

End of Turn 1.( My Hellblasters managed to kill a Chimera. Yeah!)
    nm0ydc.jpg

End of Turn 4, and the game. (I have 5 models left at this point, but since they are all securing objectives it's just enough to get the tie. I Have a badly wounded Lt tucked behind cover that you can't see beside Objective 1 on the far right.)
    x1c6tv.jpg

• Options
    yske7aa2f6w1.png
    q8610635p51a.png
    sokyxks7hli9.png

Yea, the problem is the dark imperium interceptors didn't give the option, only the assault bolter option. I was gonna just cut the front off and hack some plasma guns to glue to the front but it would look so goofy compared to the actual thing.

I ment the agressors in tooth n claw are the agressors you can give the bolter or flamer option the interceptors should along the same ideal bolter/plasma

• Options
    So playing that fluffy Death Guard list I posted a while back in tournament practice games ready for this weekend (because whilst I’m playing a fluff list I don’t want to get too crushed) and er, I’m 5-0 on my tournament practice matches with huge wins in every game.

It’s kind of intresting.

Mortarion is very fragile for his points against massed lascannons and the like, but as everyone is bringing multiple knights and they are overwhelmingly using avenger gatling cannons they just cannont kill him before he kills enough knights to cripple the list.

The plaguemarines are proving way better than I thought they would be. The chaff that people are bringing just cannot kill them in cover, whilst marines kill the chaff just fine.

Normally tournament games are over turn 3, both sides either nearly out of models or one persons been tabled. Having multiple obsec squads left to just take run up to board capping valuable objects is proving extremely effective.

Even the PBCs with entropys are working shockingly well. With people focus firing Morty they get to fire on anti-tank stuff untouched. Whilst they won’t alpha down much with that poor BS they eventually kill what they need too, and importantly don’t get killed back.

And last, but by no means least are the possessed, I’ve been casting +1str and toughness on them, and keeping CP to reroll the number of attacks and they have been doing way better than I ever would of expected. They will blender any infantry they get into no problems at all. They use almost all my CP between cloud of flies, rerolling attacks and VOTLW but honestly I have nothing else to use it on and having a bunch of -2ap attacks wounding most things on 2’s is doing work. They are suprsingly tough with the DG buff, T5 models with 3+/5++ and 2 wounds, are about as tough as the rest of the list.

And that’s really the thing. Every turn the game goes on the list just gets better. My opponents lose firepower, dudes to make shots, BS on the big stuff, but any stuff dosn’t get any easier to kill, and there’s a clear tipping point in each game where it just becomes insurmountable by my opponents. Yes that PBC is on 5 wounds, but your down to one tank and it’s now hitting on 5’s. Still gotta make it through T8 3+/5+/5+++.

It’s given me some food for thought for my future “serious” tournament lists.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    With the Commanders rules previewed, I bet the next expansion after that is going to introduce elites/heavies, like Kataphrons for Mechanicus, Wraithguard for Eldar, and Terminators.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    @Norgoth just out of interest, have you tried playing that list against any of the common-ish Aeldari builds?

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    @Norgoth just out of interest, have you tried playing that list against any of the common-ish Aeldari builds?

Sadly not, no-one local really plays them. I think I would probably really struggle with stacking -1s. Thankfully there’s only a few in the 50ish player tournament so I’m hoping I can dodge them.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Plague marines probably are the top tier of power armor and toughness with the disgustingly resilient rolls and a good set of special weapons. Blight launchers are really good for example.

Possessed are really good. I use them a lot in my Emperor's Children list. I take the banner with mark of slaanesh and very rarely do I not plow through loyalist everything. I also tend to have support with them in the form of an apostle and a exalted champ. Though sometimes they just get VoTLW and precision from my sorc.

They are just in general a pretty decent unit at killing infantry and light vehicles.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Are the AoS easy build sequistors and steelhearts bigger than normal Space Marines?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    The Stormcast line are in line with the Primaris/Custodes over the regular Marines

• Options
    edited September 2018
    TheColonel wrote: »
    The Stormcast line are in line with the Primaris/Custodes over the regular Marines

Ah, alright. Thank you. That isn't too bad, that will work for some Space Wolves HQ conversions.

Stragint on

• Options
    TheColonel wrote: »

Ah, alright. Thank you. That isn't too bad, that will work for some Space Wolves HQ conversions.

It could work with little changes to the Storm Wardens
    39xtd2atr0ec.png

• Options
    The Necron construct on the forgeworld preview made me wonder if they are going back to the campaigns

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I need that Necron Seraptek. I doubt it'll fix all the Necron problems, but it'll be fun to roll out in LoW eligible games.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I need that Necron Seraptek. I doubt it'll fix all the Necron problems, but it'll be fun to roll out in LoW eligible games.

necrons problems are more about the fact that ynnari and imperial soup exist, rather than much with the army itself

plus, destroyers are one of the best units in the game and immortals are a tremendously powerful troop choice and the vault is absurdly good when the enemy doesn't have a slamguinus/knight gallant/a billion drukhari lasers

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    plus, destroyers are one of the best units in the game and immortals are a tremendously powerful troop choice and the vault is absurdly good when the enemy doesn't have a slamguinus/knight gallant/a billion drukhari lasers
    The vault pisses me off as it's relied on too much is my main issue. Yeah, Destroyers and Wraiths are good. I just want to see that Chapter Approved.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    The vault pisses me off as it's relied on too much is my main issue. Yeah, Destroyers and Wraiths are good. I just want to see that Chapter Approved.

oh yeah, I'd love to see the balance pass for a lot of things too, but necrons are in a pretty good position if you remove the silliness of the tier1 soup armies

• Options
    Still I would like to see what they are planning for the Ynnari as in the case of soups outside of dark reapers and power from death it seems fine

• Options
    Still I would like to see what they are planning for the Ynnari as in the case of soups outside of dark reapers and power from death it seems fine

green goblins and lasers are also a big problem

as are cheap basic troops

• Options

I was toying with Eldar lists earlier and everything is so so cheap.

Three battalions, psykers, d6 damage weapons, insane mobility, everything is just a little bit too cheap.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

Three battalions, psykers, d6 damage weapons, insane mobility, everything is just a little bit too cheap.

Part of that is a result of them being mega fragile, but that is much less of a problem in 8th

• Options

I want a vault but they are so expensive for just one, it is pretty nuts.

I do feel like my Necrons are in a really good place though. 60+ warriors, 40 immortals, 12 wraiths, lords and cryptek, 6 destroyers, 3 heavy destroyers, 2 monoliths, spyders, 2 doomsday arks, 18 tomb blades, doom/command barges, and some other random stuff. I have 5 metal pariahs but they don't exist anymore.

I will probably look into grabbing more destroyers after I finish shoring up my Dpacr Wolves.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I don't want to say that everything's too cheap, but the best units certainly are. I'm kind of dreading the FAQ because I'm pretty sure my 1500 and 1750 point lists are suddenly going to be closer to 2000.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The fragile infantry get balanced out by having the toughest transports in the game, I feel.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I could have sworn biovores had a points increase in a faq, but I can't find it anywhere... Battlescribe says 50pts per vore. Is that right?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Also, how do "counts as" rules work?

Like if I Frankensteined a biovores from my bits box so I can use plastic and not muck around with the shitty looking resin biovore models.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Put a lot of love and effort into your work and no one will care, will probably even compliment you.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Also, how do "counts as" rules work?

Like if I Frankensteined a biovores from my bits box so I can use plastic and not muck around with the shitty looking resin biovore models.

They largely work through mutual agreement that this tiny little monster dude represents a different tiny little monster dude. Some official tournaments may be more rigorous regarding where the bits you use come from, but for friendly games so long as all the players know what tiny dude is what.

• Options
    The Chapter Approved book has the most recent points updates for Biovores which are indeed 50pts, but it’s also in the FAQ on the warhammer community site. Always good to keep that bookmarked, it’s where all the points adjustments, rules errata and general big fixes are kept.

Also, definitely fine using counts as proxies for stuff. As long as you keep it consistent, reasonable, and the same general shape and size no one of consequence will have a problem with it. Go for it with biovores, those are dumb models and feck paying 50 bucks a pop. I made some myself from Tyrannofex guns (middle right)
    eDcu7XI.jpg

• Options
    Excellent!

Time to hit eBay for some bits

I :heartbeat: this thread

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Those are awesome Bada

What's right above them? Warriors? The extended carapace looks really cool

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I'm having the idiot desire to clean off my Tau and airbrush them but it was such a pain to prime all those models.

I think I'm gonna leave them primed white and just clean the 3 stealth suits and then try airbrushing from there. I kind of want to see what I can do with a metallic color on them.

• Options
    What's the big headed? thing Badablack

• Options
    I'm having the idiot desire to clean off my Tau and airbrush them but it was such a pain to prime all those models.

I think I'm gonna leave them primed white and just clean the 3 stealth suits and then try airbrushing from there. I kind of want to see what I can do with a metallic color on them.

There was talk of the holographic paint in the last thread
    I know I am dismissive of airbrushing since it's the tres chic thing now to paint with

• Options
    The big-headed thing is my Maleceptor. Made it out of an AoS arachnarok I won in a tourney along with bits from just about every other kit.
    pqB4Jth.jpg

The carapace’d warriors are my Hive Guard. Here’s the only other picture I could find with them. They’ve got hive guard limbs, trygon armor plates and heavy venom cannons.
    img

In retrospect, I’m probably somewhat biased about using counts as proxies in games, so take my advice with some salt.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    General rule with proxies I see are just keep them around the same height and shape, same base, and don't make it look like you are modeling for advantage and you are good.

My oblits are green stuffed aggressors because I hate the oblit models. Same shape and size and most folks like it as something different.

u7stthr17eud.png