As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    *blares dubstep and strobelights*

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    That’s just an Admech Infiltrator.
    McGibs wrote: »
    *blares dubstep and strobelights*

i-pnZkpTF-2100x20000.jpg

or for a more WH40K flavored response: sounds like next edition's Noise Marines?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Got a 1250 game in vs Custodes. I was using my ynnari drukhari and harli detachments. Not having as many psykers (and jinx!) hurt, but I knew going in I was fast enough to kite his guys.

Then I ignored myself and went for mass melee round 2. That was a bad idea.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    But it is the most honourable form of combat?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The most honourable combat is to stomp any of the uppity young races as effectively as possible.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think they're supposed to be like, laser and reflex sights for close/fast aiming. Afaif, the bottom mounted lasers are just for the assault version. The standard variant has no attachments at all.

Personally I find the 'tacticool' aesthetics of the primaris guns to not gel with the rest of the 40k ideology, so I've been filing off all the picitinny rails. Modularity is heresy!

Weirdly the quick build helllblasters have no attachments but the actual kit ones have the “laser sight” on the bottom for the rapid fire blasters and the assault. There are infact only two front parts, the laser dot and the heavy one with the pipe connection.

As others mentioned, we know marine guns are aimed through the helmet using cameras, it comes up in a few novels (which makes the dudes with no helmets thing even sillier because now, how do they aim?) so it’s probably one of those in reality.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they're supposed to be like, laser and reflex sights for close/fast aiming. Afaif, the bottom mounted lasers are just for the assault version. The standard variant has no attachments at all.

Personally I find the 'tacticool' aesthetics of the primaris guns to not gel with the rest of the 40k ideology, so I've been filing off all the picitinny rails. Modularity is heresy!

Weirdly the quick build helllblasters have no attachments but the actual kit ones have the “laser sight” on the bottom for the rapid fire blasters and the assault. There are infact only two front parts, the laser dot and the heavy one with the pipe connection.

As others mentioned, we know marine guns are aimed through the helmet using cameras, it comes up in a few novels (which makes the dudes with no helmets thing even sillier because now, how do they aim?) so it’s probably one of those in reality.

Psychic powers.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    o-NIGHT-VISION-facebook.jpg

Look out you guys, the emperor's finest are comin'.

Those are panoramic night vision goggles and they are the light... uh... in the dark. To imagine the difference, take your hands and cup them together like you were holding a 32oz Big Gulp. Now put that up to your face. That is how restricted your vision is with normal NVGs. That's also how silly the normal ones look. Actually I think the panoramic ones make you look like a Star Wars space alien.

Fake edit:
    isptwn7ydo1ytcvivunk.Jpg

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

Through the power of the Emperor.

Same way captains without helmets can't be head shot.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How hard is it to go to the NoVA Open and play a solidly for fun game with absolutely no eye toward competitive lists? We sort of want to go, but our lists are so far away from meta that I don't want to waste time setting up minis just to get tabled turn 2.

@Darkewolfe I am not sure what game you were thinking of but moved this to the 40k thread.

What type of game do you want to do? In the GT you will probably get wiped early on till your rank drops far enough as it is one of the biggest GTs in the world and the big boys come out.

I am doing Trios and some folks who played last year got destroyed. But I keep playing them with test list and beating the pants off so I have decided maybe their experience isn't the same for me. Trios has a mix of hard list and fun list because some folks use it as a warm up.

The narrative is where fluff list go to play.

And also there is the wandering around and doing pick up games at night and such too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mostly wondering what the pick up game scene is like. How involved is the narrative stuff?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mostly wondering what the pick up game scene is like. How involved is the narrative stuff?

I wish my club was here to help you but as far as I know I guess pick up games are more friendly and you can talk it through with folks. I am doing the trios with some bros in my club which is my harder list (Alpha Legion with oblits and such). For the Narrative I am doing noise marines, possessed and basically making a fun list.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Pick-up games can be kind of scarce in my experience. Mostly because it's getting bigger and bigger every year and table space is getting hard to find during tournament hours, but also because allot of people don't show up just for pick-up games, they come for the events. The only pick-up games I've played there were with people I was already with, so maybe those weren't really pick-up games at all.

The narrative stuff is pretty fantastic, though. I've done the 30k narrative games since my second year going and they've always been great. And @Dr_Keenbean and I played in the AoS narrative doubles event last year and had fun losing our first 2 games, and then were miserable winning our last one (someone's gotta be That Team, right?)

Do I ever take more than 2 wins out of 3 rounds? Nope, not in the last 3 years.

Do I almost always a great time playing games with cool people? Fuck yes.

I would highly suggest getting a day pass (or a whole weekend depending on where you're at) and going in on a 40k narrative event to give it a shot. You could even sign up for some of the great painting and hobby seminars if you wanna fill up some time. And hey, if you don't like it, don't feel bad about dipping out and getting blackout drunk with me.

You might also wanna reserve a hotel room now, rooms are getting gobbled up quick.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Every review I watch for the knight codex includes some pretty big detail some others forgot.

Like how the melee knights are base WS 2 instead of 3 now and base 5 attacks instead of 4. Give them the +1 attack warlord trait and that’s 24 stomps hitting on 2s.

Or that the codex is really like two codexes and something like 1/3rd of the strategems and some of the key relics get locked away based on your choice of Imperial or Mechanicus.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I have yet to see a Battle Report where the Knights lose. Tabletop Tactics, Bone made some mistakes with his Death Guard against the Knights, but I doubt it would've changed things.

Obviously, Knights winning is a better outcome for GW advertising, but....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I don’t read much into Battle Reports, usually it’s suboptimal armies making suboptimal plays while forgetting key thing and getting rules wrong.

They are fun to watch and all but I don’t think they are that useful in figuring out the state of the game.

That said this codex is definitely a huge boon to knights, that said it gave them next to nothing on what was already their weakest element: objective play.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    They also seem to be made to kill elite units and big targets, like each other. While what's strong now is hordes with fast melee characters and backline artillery.

Knights still don't have an invulnerable save in melee right? I think we'll see Knights just get shots by gunlines as they close and then a friendly BA Captain with Jumppack and TH/SS finishes the job.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    They also seem to be made to kill elite units and big targets, like each other. While what's strong now is hordes with fast melee characters and backline artillery.

Knights still don't have an invulnerable save in melee right? I think we'll see Knights just get shots by gunlines as they close and then a friendly BA Captain with Jumppack and TH/SS finishes the job.

There is one relic that gives them a 5+ invuln in CC but that means at max one knight can have it (and is giving up on having a damage increasing relic instead.)

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Yea that's definitely not worth it, while "Slamguinius" will take off 6-9 wounds on the charge I think the real threat to these guys is IG backline shooting anyway.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    Yea that's definitely not worth it, while "Slamguinius" will take off 6-9 wounds on the charge I think the real threat to these guys is IG backline shooting anyway.

Yeah, the 2+ armor relic, or the 4+ invulnerable save against shooting warlord trait seem much better. Becomes a 3+ invuln with rotate ion shield and that’s just sexy.

Though only one review mentioned it, apparently it’s 3CP to rotate ion shields on the new Dominus class knights, which makes me change my plan of making a super tank doninus, instead probably going to make one of my old class of knights super hard to kill.

• Options

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Every review I watch for the knight codex includes some pretty big detail some others forgot.

Like how the melee knights are base WS 2 instead of 3 now and base 5 attacks instead of 4. Give them the +1 attack warlord trait and that’s 24 stomps hitting on 2s.

Or that the codex is really like two codexes and something like 1/3rd of the strategems and some of the key relics get locked away based on your choice of Imperial or Mechanicus.

24 stomps on 2's seems like a pretty decent solution to hordes. Tack on a gattlingcannon and rockets and you could do a lot worse. The strength of a lot of hordes is also board control and tying up units, both of which knights can mostly ignore, as they can walk over infantry and don't care about getting stuck in combat.
    Choppy Armigers also get a 'sweep' attack now, to split their 4 attacks into 8.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    No gatling cannon for that knight, it’s the gallant (I think that’s the name) only that gets the 5 attacks and 2s to hit in melee. The one that can only take two melee weapons. All the other knight chassis are the standard 4 attacks and 3s to hit. (And the dominus are a miserable 3 attacks and 4s to hit).

Also my math was wrong, it’s 3 stomps per attack at 6 attacks for 18 stomps. I shouldn’t try to math right after waking up. Still good though.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Having a small admech force and a couple of armigers from the forgebane box, I'm pretty excited to see how the new armigers play and how they're costed post codex.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Not having read all the leaks, just a cursory read of some threads, it seems like the Armigers are the best part of the Knight codex and will likely be what gets adopted into competitive lists.

• Options
    The shooty ones have 4d3x 3damage autocannon shots and can move and shoot. That sounds bonkers good.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Not having read all the leaks, just a cursory read of some threads, it seems like the Armigers are the best part of the Knight codex and will likely be what gets adopted into competitive lists.

Interesting! I don’t claim to be super in touch with the competitive side of the game but I figured their complete lack of CP generation would have turned people off from them.
    The shooty ones have 4d3x 3damage autocannon shots and can move and shoot. That sounds bonkers good.

Very weak CC on them and no ability to fall back and shoot in the same turn. A lot of dakka but if you get into CC with them they are hosed.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm not claiming to be a super pro expert or anything, although I've run into a lot of guys bringing hardcore stuff to casual games lol, but the typical Imperial Guard battalion gives all the CPs you need and yea, the shooting Armiger seems ludicrously good - although IMO the melee one isn't bad at what it does either!

Edit: The IG battalion solves the problem of Knights being tied up in melee, too. 200 points of Guardsmen just does way too much, let alone what a proper list of them brings. I don't care how much Guard players defend themselves by saying it's not pure guard winning tournaments - Guard are present in ever list and I think it's pretty clear they're too good.

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Got my two knights on order (well, the Renegade box, but close enough...) I'll see if I can 'counts-as' my warhound, because I'm certainly not buying a 3rd for that super heavy detachment. :rotate:

Does anyone know if the e-codex is cross platform (kindle, specifically) or do you have to have an Ipad?

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Yeah you do really need to take a battalion of something for knights I feel. They are so CP hungry but must take 3 big knights to get 3 CP, and then are likely to blow 2-6 CP on extra characters and relics.

I went with a minimum battalion of AdMech instead of guard because I like the models and the thematic nature of it better. Though for an imperial knight house having a detachment of guard is perfectly fluffy.

I am a little surprised the codex did not grant Sacristans (knight TechPriests) or Household Soldiers (IG troops) to the army. It’s a bit odd to have to bring allies to have what your faction has in the fluff.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Armigers count towards a super heavy detachment, right?

I'm splitting the Renegade box with a pal and it'd be cool to run a knight + two armigers with my admech.

Cancer gun screen and an onager in the back... all kinds of dakka

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Armigers count towards a super heavy detachment, right?

I'm splitting the Renegade box with a pal and it'd be cool to run a knight + two armigers with my admech.

Cancer gun screen and an onager in the back... all kinds of dakka

As per the codex the only knights that count toward a knight super heavy detachment generating CP are Dominus and Questoris class knights.

So currently anything from FW and all armigers do not count.

One knight and 2 armigers is a legal super heavy detachment but gives no CP.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Hmm, so 2 knights accompanied by two armigers apiece counts as 2 detachments, but no CP? Sad panda. At least that eliminates my worries about how to conjure up a 3rd knight.

• Options
    Yeah it’s a head scratcher of a rule to me to be honest.

Cheapest all armiger super heavy detachment is 492 points and that would net you 3CP without the rule.

When you can get 5CP for 200 with guard.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    I have seen several people saying that rule basically negates the main selling point of armigers GW was pushing when they were first talked about, cheaper option to fill out a SH detachment, and as such makes them unlikely to buy any.

I can see an argument for a pure armiger detachment not giving CP, as at that point it's like getting 3cp for taking 3 Russes with another imperial list for example. So a 1 bigger knight requirement I can see, but what they did just seems weird.

• Options
    I will have to read the rule+post launch FAQ.

At this point I am feeling knights will be a loyalist only thing for this edition (index knights only for Chaos boooo!).

But if I did get one, and I want one, it is going with my Deathwatch.

I feel this is fluffy though:

1xDeathwatch chapter of mostly primaris and some super elite normal vets
    1xdetachment of guard (Armageddon) who are veteran ork hunters using mostly artillery or mobile infantry tactics
    1xFree house knight with armigers who has sworn himself to the deathwatch.

It would be fluffy and not bad but also look cool on the table.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The only thing I want from this IK codex is good and fun rules for Freeblade Knights.

• Options
    Seriously though I am grouchy that there is no Chaos knights coming basically. They just straight up said in the previews, "Well you have the index!"

Stupid Imperium being the majority of the releases and all the toys.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Seriously though I am grouchy that there is no Chaos knights coming basically. They just straight up said in the previews, "Well you have the index!"

Stupid Imperium being the majority of the releases and all the toys.

Well you did give up on the imperium

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Reading the harlequin codex I really am curious about the final piece of the aeldari the Ynnari as how will they work?

Still I just want to get a couple of Troupes a shadowseer and a couple of jetbikes to build my harlequin force

• Options
    *Waits patiently over in the corner to see what the GSC codex/unit release looks like.*

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6