As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I am entirely confident that the Ynnari are getting relegated to their heavily-FAQed Index version for the foreseeable future.

Strength From Death has fucked up too much this edition, GW need to go back to the drawing board about it (and the faction as a whole).

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    If I'm building one knight to use as an addition other armies, I have two questions.

Can I build him as a freeblade?

And what build might be best? CCW for apocalypse game to take out other knights, or standard shooty and chainsword? I'm thinking the meltacannon and chainsword build.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If I'm building one knight to use as an addition other armies, I have two questions.

Can I build him as a freeblade?

And what build might be best? CCW for apocalypse game to take out other knights, or standard shooty and chainsword? I'm thinking the meltacannon and chainsword build.

You can build him as a Freeblade.

As for best loadout, hm, not sure. Depends if you are going to pick or randomize your Boons and Flaws on the Freeblade or not.

Random you get 2 boons and 1 flaw. Pick you get 1 boon and 2 flaws.

If you are going random a mixed loadout is probably best so you can take advantage of whatever you get.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Do Knights seriously have an RPG merits/flaws box on their character sheet:

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Do Knights seriously have an RPG merits/flaws box on their character sheet:

Yup!

Freeblades do at least. And some are hilarious combos.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    This sounds great

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    As much as I groused about its existence, the Knights codex seems filled with cool, flavorful stuff.

I'm hoping Orks get the same kind of dynamic stuff, because Knights looks really cool from afar at least.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    If stompas and the nauts get half the options knights did, there are going to be greenskins everywhere!
    Ogotai wrote: »
    I have seen several people saying that rule basically negates the main selling point of armigers GW was pushing when they were first talked about, cheaper option to fill out a SH detachment, and as such makes them unlikely to buy any.

I can see an argument for a pure armiger detachment not giving CP, as at that point it's like getting 3cp for taking 3 Russes with another imperial list for example. So a 1 bigger knight requirement I can see, but what they did just seems weird.

It makes sense to me, at least. 1: The knight and armigers detachment is pretty good. 2: knight lists are very CP thirsty. 3: if it gave CP, it would absolutely be a no-brainer. 4: options that are so good to be auto are bad (see mandatory IG mans). 5: if you really want CP, buy Renegade and the new supernduper knight! It's such a good deal, you can't afford NOT too! :rotate:

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really like I keep saying it I am very curious what the ork codex contains

• Options
    Oof if these reviews are true I feel like imperial knights really got hosed compared to AdMech knights.

The 1cp strategem to use your top wound box stats is AdMech only. That’s a super important strategem for such high cost models with degrading stat lines.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oof if these reviews are true I feel like imperial knights really got hosed compared to AdMech knights.

The 1cp strategem to use your top wound box stats is AdMech only. That’s a super important strategem for such high cost models with degrading stat lines.

Can't it be used if your Knight sides with the Mechanicum? i.e., isn't the Knight Codex giving a choice of who the Knight Household sides with? Or is that what you mean and I just misread?

What do Imperial ones get?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    The emperor's light?

Everybody knows those Mars guys are kinda...shady.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Can't it be used if your Knight sides with the Mechanicum? i.e., isn't the Knight Codex giving a choice of who the Knight Household sides with? Or is that what you mean and I just misread?

What do Imperial ones get?

Sorry, that is what I meant.

In the new codex you have to pick Questor Imperialis or Questor mechanicus.

From there Imperial have 5 traditions to choose from and Mech have 4.

Further there are 8 strategems that only the Imperials get and 7 that only the Mech gets. (Numbers may be slightly off, this is from memory from watching video reviews. I also think these numbers include the tradition unique ones). Imperials off the top of my head get the 3CP to outflank with a knight, 3CP to battle a second time, and 1CP to give all stubbers -1ap for the whole game. Mech get 1cp use top damage stats, 1cp shrug off mortal wounds on a 6 for this phase, and 1cp to do something cognis to your stubbers for the whole game (I forget what.)

Furthermore there are relics that are unique to Mech and unique to Imperial, beyond the ones that are unique to each household tradition. There are some minor ones like mechs repairing one wound a turn.

The big ones are for the Dominus. Only imperials can take the relic flamethrower for the Valiant (same stats, re-roll all failed wound rolls) and only the Mech can take the relic plasma for the Castellan (is that it’s name? Anyway it’s +1 str, AP and damage iirc). Which hey, i’m happy I made my 11th hour decision to change my Valiant preorder to a Castellan preorder after tweaking my list because I’m planning an AdMech list and honestly the Castellan is a bit lackluster without the relic.

It’s a really weird codex they’ve made, but interesting.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

If they get a decent line of meganob models and a couple more vehicles. New boys models would be nice. All that, along with new plastic dreads and kans would be a strong temptation to start ruining my life with Orks.

Because I can't escape horde armies, apparently.

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Isn't one of the imperial traits for knights double the current number of wounds for which stat line to use? That would eliminate much of the need for that stratagem. Would have to see what relics/warlord/house strat that house has access to, but it looked like one of the better imperial ones

• Options
    Ogotai wrote: »
    Isn't one of the imperial traits for knights double the current number of wounds for which stat line to use? That would eliminate much of the need for that stratagem. Would have to see what relics/warlord/house strat that house has access to, but it looked like one of the better imperial ones

Yeah, but being locked into that one house is a bummer

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The Mechanicus can use stratagems to: have a guy fight on his top line until dead, then resurrect at the end of the turn with D3 wounds.
    I’m going to see if I can’t pull some of the computer announcements from one of the MechWarrior games to play when that all goes down. I’m pretty sure there’s an “emergency reboot” and something about declaring an alpha strike that would be appropriate….

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

If they get a decent line of meganob models and a couple more vehicles. New boys models would be nice. All that, along with new plastic dreads and kans would be a strong temptation to start ruining my life with Orks.

Because I can't escape horde armies, apparently.

When I was looking at the model range it's pretty much the gorka morka orks so I know they were pretty much perfection for the time
    The Deff Dread is new for me but yes I agree they need new stuff

• Options
    If I eemember correctly, the current boys were released right around the same time as the Catachans, which also need an update.

Catachans for launch of female Militarum?

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    If I eemember correctly, the current boys were released right around the same time as the Catachans, which also need an update.

Catachans for launch of female Militarum?

In general the imperial guard need help as I remember much of their minis from back when I played an epoch ago
    They just need female heads and non bruh catachans
    For a death world they do have a heathy pop. to feed the imperial war machine

• Options
    Catachans are literally abhumans adapted to thrive on a horrible planet, but reclassifying them would drastically hamper deploying them in battles so everybody looks the other way when the army of freakishly muscled deathwotlders stomps by.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I kind of regret deciding to clean off my Necrons to repaint them. I'm not gonna be able to play for a little while.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The newer Catachan kits like Straken or the command squad are much better than the old gorilla models.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I never had a problem with the Schwarzenegger Catachans, really as a design choice.

They're just... badly sculpted and molded. And their faces are mostly awful.

And we need female Guard. Ladies can be swole, too.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    I’m pretty chuffed with myself, selling a bunch of stuff on eBay and one of them is a big ol’ spikey Lord of Skulls, covered in chains and skulls and doodads. Basically a big evil sea urchin. Easily in the running for Worst Model to Ship.

I had to hunt around to find the exact size box I needed, finally got it at a Wal-Mart while getting other stuff. Grabbed a box an employee had finished emptying and was about to shred, he probably thought I was crazy. But I got the perfectly proportioned box. Then I fashioned struts out of foam and glue, and basically suspended the model in the middle of the box supported on its flat sturdier areas with foam bumpers to keep it from jostling. All spikes and bits are safely nestled, and it should survive anything but the worst abuse.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    it should survive anything but the worst abuse.

After shipping thousands of dollars of models, I warn you to say that very quietly, lest the USPS take it as a challenge.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    But they’re gonna half-heartedly poke it with a dried out Fragile stamp, clearly it will be treated like a newborn babe.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    But they’re gonna half-heartedly poke it with a dried out Fragile stamp, clearly it will be treated like a newborn babe.

Fragile stamps are a one way ticket to "Fucked City" care of the "Toss this shit out the truck" expressway.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    I’ve got all of my knight that I own so far built to the priming stage! Wooo!

Only 10 more models to go and the full 2k is will be built. Ignore that 2 of those 8 models are knight super heavies.

Tomorrow when GW opens i’ll snag the box for my last 5 skitarii rangers and get my two engineers.

Then my Dominus shows up Friday, and then when that is done I’ll pick up my 2nd Questoris knight. Pretty confident I’ll be able to build this one noticeably quicker now that I have one under my belt. (Also this time I’ll go for a simpler build and not convert the model so it’s holding its reaper chainsword like a sword in its thunderstrike gauntlet).

I was thinking of maybe giving it the effect of shooting some of its rockets with contrails mid-flight though. Anyone done that before? Any advice?

• Options
    I have long ago when they gave us the new missile launcher with the 40k starter that had the dark eldar
    I used a wire and some cotton to make it look like he fired the missile

• Options
    With the Legion era ones that Forgeworld discontinued recently
    ap7ku21anegi.png
    Is that small thing the missile it fires? or what?

• Options
    The missile fires out of the domed side. The small circular thing with fins goes on the back of the launcher and is like a counterweight or something. The bundle of 4 is the spare missile ammo you put on the marine to reload.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I had to hunt around to find the exact size box I needed, finally got it at a Wal-Mart while getting other stuff.

Grocery stores have always been a primo spot for me to pick up free boxes whenever I move. Sturdy freight stuff.

• Options
    I had to hunt around to find the exact size box I needed, finally got it at a Wal-Mart while getting other stuff.

Grocery stores have always been a primo spot for me to pick up free boxes whenever I move. Sturdy freight stuff.

I just hate when people ask for them as it's first come first served with boxes

• Options
    Finally assembled my last primaris deathwatch marine. Made him dance in celebration.

8brxdIB.jpg

Feels good to have a full 2000pt army that fits into a single hard case. I can even pick it up by the handle and carry it sideways, it’s all chunky Marines without spikes or tentacles flying in every direction making easy transportation impossible.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I’ve got all of my knight that I own so far built to the priming stage! Wooo!

Only 10 more models to go and the full 2k is will be built. Ignore that 2 of those 8 models are knight super heavies.

Tomorrow when GW opens i’ll snag the box for my last 5 skitarii rangers and get my two engineers.

Then my Dominus shows up Friday, and then when that is done I’ll pick up my 2nd Questoris knight. Pretty confident I’ll be able to build this one noticeably quicker now that I have one under my belt. (Also this time I’ll go for a simpler build and not convert the model so it’s holding its reaper chainsword like a sword in its thunderstrike gauntlet).

I was thinking of maybe giving it the effect of shooting some of its rockets with contrails mid-flight though. Anyone done that before? Any advice?

I used a toothpick covered with hot glue for this.

(Forgive the paint job, this was a for a speed painting competition, 24hrs to paint a Start Collecting in the store. It was super fun!)

m68sfax4pada.jpeg

Nealneal on
  • Options
    That looks rad! Also I love that color scheme

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've been so busy with my new job I haven't been able to get a game in in like three weeks. I decided last night that I was going to paint some terminators even if it killed me. I basecoated three dudes before I got too tired to continue.

On the upside my Lysander conversions are coming along decently. I was able to get all of the Imperial Fists icongraphy removed from the model - The body will be a Terminator Captain, and the TH/SS arms will be attached to one of my assault Terminators.

I was able to trim the cape down where the giant chunk of resin broke off, but GW is still sending me a replacement, so this weekend I'll have a spare Captain Lysander model I guess.

• Options
    Here’s a few deathwatch dudes.
    The Chaplain dread. After carefully priming his head here I’m gonna mask it off, spray the whole thing, then do it all again with the basecoat.
    wIJZstm.jpg

A Primaris wizard, made with the noble sacrifice of a Dark Vengeance librarian.
    eackzLe.jpg

Watchmaster with all his basecoats and shading done, need to tidy up the details and little doodads hanging off him now.
    lV2wU8u.jpg

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    What's that librarian spell effect bit from?