Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch and Bugboy

davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty MeatshieldPanhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
edited June 13 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey @Arch and/or @BugBoy , my daughter almost ran herself into this creature and I don’t know it’s name. It’s always easier to calm her scared reaction when I know as much about something as I can do call upon the PA hive mind for assistance.

YNpyUwO.jpg

And more pictures of both sides because it was on my sliding door! https://imgur.com/a/AHCxHLl

Thanks!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
ceres on
PLA

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    It’s a leaf-footed Bug, maybe the Western Conifer Seed Bug in particular. They’re plant feeders, and they pretty frequently wander inside houses looking for warmth.

They scared me when I was a kid too! Kind of weird looking, but they’re happy to just hang around and eat plants.

You see lots of things, out there in the swamp at night. Some of them might even be real. But the Bugboy? That's just plain impossible.
    davidsdurionsDisruptedCapitalistArchRingoceresNightDragonzepherinAegistyniccB557BrodyTheBlackWindfightinfilipinofirewaterwordZilla360
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It was still on the outside of my impenetrableholey screen door.

Thanks for the info!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    God BugBoy, do some actual work like the rest of us* so that I can practice IDing things!**

*hahaha

**stop stealing my thunder

ElvenshaeShadowfireKruitezepherincB557BrodyTheBlackWindRobonunfightinfilipinoHahnsoo1BouwsTZilla360
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I can do IDs and dissect large quantities of insect genital capsules! I can do everything!

(I’m pretty sure you’ve beaten me to the punch the last few times)

You see lots of things, out there in the swamp at night. Some of them might even be real. But the Bugboy? That's just plain impossible.
    NightDragonArchElvenshaezepherinspool32ShadowfireKruitetynicchrishallett83cB557fightinfilipinoCambiataHahnsoo1BouwsTDisruptedCapitalistZilla360
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Registered User regular
    Alright then, here's another round for @BugBoy and @Arch !

These tiny little guys are all over the wood borders to the path in our front yard, and have recently been observed on our wooden front porch. I couldn't get a good photo with my phone as they're too tiny to focus on but the video turned out well.

It looks like the biggest ones, which are probably no more than a millimeter, are white, but there are even tinier ones that are yellowish.

We live in Oregon, near Portland. Preliminary searching tells me wood mites or springtails and insists they're harmless. That'd be fine, though there are zillions of them and so they kind of give me the jibblies. Just want to make sure it's not some kind of termite or other yard-and-home-destroying critter.

steam_sig.png
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Registered User regular
    Further investigation has led me to think it's ash whitefly, which apparently is only bad in that they're annoying in the way they swarm all over your stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This sounds like a job for Encarsia inaron! Now you just need to find and import some.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    New bug flew up to me while I was working in the back yard. Sounded like a regular bumble bee so I wasn’t too concerned until my wife said it looked like a big wasp and then it landed on my arm. Yay. My wife was kind enough to swipe it off me in my paralyzed in fear state. Then she snapped some pics!
    cCHsv6F.jpg

hkXqcld.jpg

1py9wCp.jpg

@Arch @BugBoy is this an Eastern-Eyed Click Beetle that our googling said is super common in our area but we’ve honestly never seen in our 70 combined years living here?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Elvenshae
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Okay alright fine I give we can make this the official bug identification thread

FrydavidsdurionsElvenshaemRahmaniXaquinHahnsoo1ArchEncArbitraryDescriptorFiendishrabbitdispatch.ochromdomJaysonFourNightDragonCambiataTofystedethTNTrooperDisruptedCapitalistfirewaterwordSpoitAresProphetShadowfireGnizmoBetsuniHeirZilla360Man in the Mists
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    now everyone can see what the buzz is all about!

eh!

eh?!

ArchDaenrisbowenRingoElvenshaeEncBouwsTArbitraryDescriptorBloodySlothdispatch.odavidsdurionschromdomFryJaysonFourHahnsoo1BugBoyCambiataTofystedethAngelinaPLADisruptedCapitalistAresProphetShadowfireLovelyschussAbsoluteZeroZilla360Man in the Mists
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ok what's this one!

Xaquin
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Structurally it looks a lot likea bush cricket nymph to me (with those long antennae and well-developed rear legs), but I've never seen a bush cricket with those kind of colours.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited June 13
    ceres wrote: »
    Okay alright fine I give we can make this the official bug identification thread

I see my petition for a forum name change to "Help: Arthropods!" did not garner enough support in the House of Mods.

Curses.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    XaquinDisruptedCapitalistDaenrisAegis

I see my petition for a forum name change to "Help: Arthropods!" did not garner enough support in the House of Mods.

Curses.

I'm sure it is on the lips of anyone finding themselves walking through tall plant life with shorts on.

PLA

Seeing the thread title change was a small delight

Much like insects!

NightDragondavidsdurionsTofystedethXaquinPLADisruptedCapitalistceresArchArbitraryDescriptorzepherinElvenshaeAresProphetBetsuniMan in the Mists
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    Xaquin wrote: »
    now everyone can see what the buzz is all about!

eh!

eh?!

Agreed, not having an official post was bugging me. ^.^

E.Coyote on
    XaquinDisruptedCapitalistRingoBugBoyLovely
    Structurally it looks a lot likea bush cricket nymph to me (with those long antennae and well-developed rear legs), but I've never seen a bush cricket with those kind of colours.

It was really pretty! I thought it might be a mantis at first.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest if that helps.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    It's not a mantis- it's the nymph (baby) of some True bug (hemiptera). I can poke around and get a better id in a bit, but juveniles are pretty tough for me.

EDIT it might be a juvenile cricket, I may have lied.

Arch on
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    It's not a mantis- it's the nymph (baby) of some True bug (hemiptera). I can poke around and get a better id in a bit, but juveniles are pretty tough for me.

EDIT it might be a juvenile cricket, I may have lied.

keep that up and you are gonna get bumped from the thread title

camo_sig.png
    ElvenshaeArchZilla360
    It does look crickety!

If you click thru to Instagram that post has another couple angles

Definitely a baby as it was v smol (that's a single hydrangea flower it's on)

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited June 14
    It IS a little bush cricket (or katydids as they're called in the US).
    Probably a Scudderia Furcata (or fork-tailed bush katydid).
    080707ny.jpg

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Arch
    Aw yeah katydids are weird and cool

MichaelLCI ZimbraceresXaquinHeirRingoZilla360
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Aw yeah katydids are weird and cool

Take one cricket, set all sliders to "long"

I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    ElvenshaeZilla360ceresJaysonFourFiendishrabbitSo It GoesXaquinE.Coyote