The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

1161718192022»

Posts

  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's the taste of protein umami.

    DisruptedCapitalistH3KnucklesRingoElvenshae
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    That's a Rove beetle in the family Staphylinidae!

    It might be a Devil's Coach Horse Beetle (Ocypus olens), but I'm not nearly an expert on Rove beetles.

    Also, it's definitely too many names for one bug!

    They're harmless to you and actually eat a lot of garden pests, including snails!

    I'd never heard of a Devil's Coach Horse Beetle until I picked up Empires of the Undergrowth. They're a formidable enemy in the game!

    Although when I wiki'd them, it didn't say anything about them preying on ants. I gather they'll eat anything they can fit in their jaws, though?

  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    With the exception of some parasitoid rove beetles ants are not a common prey for rove beetles. Unless they use traps (like spiders) virtually all ant-predators are very specialized, with very sophisticated means of infiltrating or warding off ants.

    Because ants are generally not soft targets, and if you're an insect they're more likely to eat you than the other way around.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    RingobwanieFryH3Knuckles38thDoeElvenshae
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 30
    Ants are to me literally the most terrifying being on this planet.

    I've seen footage of roving ant colonies literally obliterating anything that was too slow to get out of the way. Snakes, Spiders, Birds, Mammals of varying sizes, any insect...Doesn't matter it will be drowned in acid, filled with poison and taken apart by thousands of tiny jaws.

    bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    OrcaRingoElvenshae
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Ants are to me literally the most terrifying being on this planet.

    I've seen footage of roving ant colonies literally obliterating anything that was too slow to get out of the way. Snakes, Spiders, Birds, Mammals of varying sizes, any insect...Doesn't matter it will be drowned in acid, filled with poison and taken apart by thousands of tiny jaws.

    Grey goo is already here, it's just brown and has jaws?

    RingoH3KnucklesMoridin889Elvenshae
  • RingoRingo HE KEEPS REPEATING THE LINE I'M GONNA CRY BLEASE LET HIM LIVE YOU MADE ME WATCH SO MUCH KISSING IN THIS FILM LET INIGO LIVERegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    bwanie wrote: »
    Ants are to me literally the most terrifying being on this planet.

    I've seen footage of roving ant colonies literally obliterating anything that was too slow to get out of the way. Snakes, Spiders, Birds, Mammals of varying sizes, any insect...Doesn't matter it will be drowned in acid, filled with poison and taken apart by thousands of tiny jaws.

    Grey goo is already here, it's just brown and has jaws?

    Also, sometimes movie characters make friends with one and you cry when the friendly ant dies

    That's right, ants can take you apart emotionally

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    OrcaMoridin889Elvenshae
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you've never seen AntsCanada, man that guy can tell a story. The death of The Fire Nation was one of the saddest things.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    NobodyRingoJaysonFourRanlin
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So this thread is kind of perfect since I just got stung on the arm and it hurt a surprising amount.

    Just making sure my arm won't fall off or anything.

    f206ax8w5f5w.jpg

    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    I'm pretty sure that's an assassin bug nymph* (many assassin bug nymphs are red, regardless of what they will look like when they're adult).

    They're really only dangerous in south and central america where they can carry really nasty passengers (like the parasites that cause chagas disease). They bite like motherfuckers though (sting, bite. Dunno what to call it but they jab you with their needle-like mouthparts).

    P.S: It has wings. Which means it's adult. Still assassin bug.

    Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    RingoJedocH3KnucklesElvenshae
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Thanks!

    Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    RendH3KnucklesElvenshae
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks!

    Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

    Only if you ate the heart to gain its strength.

    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
    Elvenshae
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    I'd second that's an assassin bug of some type, but would also like to mention that the subfamily of assassin bugs that carry chagas (the Traitominae, or kissing bugs) definitely exists in the United States, and we have many strains of Chagas in circulation domestically. Chagas in the United States is primarily a canine disease, however, because in order to get infected with Chagas you need to rub the feces of the kissing bug into the open wound caused by the bite. For various reasons United States Triatomines don't defecate where they bite, unlike other species.

    In addition, we don't tend to encounter many kissing bugs in the United States, since they tend to live in more wooded areas. In other countries where people have thatched roofs and dirt floors, you're more likely to run into kissing bugs.

    Anyway the point is that the reason it's a disease we primarily see in dogs is because dogs, upon being bitten, will eat the insect, thus ingesting the parasite.

    This is actually the focus of some of my personal research, in conjunction with Texas A&M's Chagas Disease initiative.

    Arch on
    FiendishrabbitFrydavidsdurionsJedocRingoInfidelArbitraryDescriptorBouwsTchromdomVishNubMoridin889ceresH3Knuckles38thDoeElvenshaeGnizmo
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks!

    Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

    Requiescat in secta

    RingoDeMoNH3KnucklesElvenshaeMichaelLC
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks!

    Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

    No, first you have to go through your entire house clear all the templar bug nests.

    XagarFryFiendishrabbitRingoArchDeMoNH3KnucklesElvenshae
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    They bite like motherfuckers though (sting, bite. Dunno what to call it but they jab you with their needle-like mouthparts).
    If there's already a sub family called 'kissing bugs,'
    then it seems like a fine opportunity to appropriate "snog" from the British and give it an entirely different meaning that is still contextually similar enough to change the meaning of a sentence.

  • JedocJedoc Once to start a new life and once just to start a fireRegistered User regular
    That might be confusing, since they're called "kissing bugs" because they like to bite humans around the lips while you sleep so they can drink your blood. Also around the eyes, but I guess they couldn't come up with a cute name for that.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    ArchArbitraryDescriptorMoridin889H3KnucklesElvenshae
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That might be confusing, since they're called "kissing bugs" because they like to bite humans around the lips while you sleep so they can drink your blood. Also around the eyes, but I guess they couldn't come up with a cute name for that.

    AHH!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

    Frychromdomsee317RingoBouwsTArchDeMoNArbitraryDescriptorceresH3KnucklesHappylilElfElvenshae
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks!

    Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

    No, first you have to go through your entire house clear all the templar bug nests.

    There are no Templar bugs.
    There are however
    Clymene moths, aka Crusader moths
    XZCLKZOLYLKHSRYZMRKH4R0H4RHHIZCLQZRH6ROLXZULQRWLYLJZHZTZQRZHGR1L5RTL5RSHXRWLHZCZRZWLSR9L7ZDL.jpg

    And Crusader bugs
    30686253117_90a75e0511_c.jpg

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    JedocInquisitor77chromdomArchFryDeMoNceresH3Knuckles38thDoeElvenshaeMaguano
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited July 31
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks!

    Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

    No, first you have to go through your entire house clear all the templar bug nests.

    There are no Templar bugs.
    There are however
    Clymene moths, aka Crusader moths
    XZCLKZOLYLKHSRYZMRKH4R0H4RHHIZCLQZRH6ROLXZULQRWLYLJZHZTZQRZHGR1L5RTL5RSHXRWLHZCZRZWLSR9L7ZDL.jpg

    And Crusader bugs
    30686253117_90a75e0511_c.jpg

    Whatever you say, Abstergo crony. We know the truth!

    Inquisitor77 on
    FryBouwsTH3KnucklesElvenshae
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    For some reason, I thought assassin bugs used their mouth parts to cut open tough leaves to get at the gooey insides. Did I make that up?

    Arch
  • JedocJedoc Once to start a new life and once just to start a fireRegistered User regular
    That's what most hemiptera do. And some of the larger ones, like leaf-footed bugs, have a very similar body plan to assassin bugs.

    tqn9so67rtda.png

    But no, assassin bugs are straight up carnivores. One reason their bites hurt so bad despite the lack of venom is because they inject their victims with digestive juices and then slurp up the dissolved tissue. A lot like spiders, except with a long crazy hypodermic mouthpart instead of retractable fangs.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    BouwsTH3KnucklesArchElvenshae
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man, I'm actually kind of glad I started my morning getting chomped on. Learned some interesting and gross things today.

    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    JedocRingoH3KnucklesElvenshae
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    D: D: D:

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    FryOrcaH3KnucklesElvenshaeMichaelLC
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    it's called a proboscis, a modified head/mouthpart. In this case evolved into a stinging apparatus.

    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I've spotted a couple of these things recently around my home in central VA, USA. Wingspan is maybe 25% bigger than a quarter. At first I mistook it for some type of fancy day-moth, but my roommate was like "dude, that's a fly":

    XspNcCo.jpg

    Using my totally scientific method of "that sort of looks like it," I have identified this as Xenox tigrinus, the Tiger Bee Fly

    JedocFiendishrabbitOrcaRingoceresElvenshaeH3Knuckles38thDoeArch
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I've spotted a couple of these things recently around my home in central VA, USA. Wingspan is maybe 25% bigger than a quarter. At first I mistook it for some type of fancy day-moth, but my roommate was like "dude, that's a fly":

    XspNcCo.jpg

    Using my totally scientific method of "that sort of looks like it," I have identified this as Xenox tigrinus, the Tiger Bee Fly

    It's a tiger bee fly. If you were further west or south it could be one of it's nearly identical cousins, but in VA it's a Tiger Bee fly.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    RingoceresElvenshaeH3KnucklesFry38thDoe
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Insects surviving freezing temperatures is a lot easier to believe than microwaving them. The latter being much more disruptive at cellular level...

    Insects can survive microwaving though. Oven microwaves are standing waves with a wavelength far longer than the diameter of roughly ant-sized insects. Thus from an insects perspective, the oven contains islands of high energy that heat them up, and low energy areas where they can chill down. And if the insect has a sufficiently large surface area to volume ratio, it's able to quickly cool down all the heat it receives from passing through a high-energy island, making the oven entirely survivable.


    MSL59.jpg
    ceresbwanie
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    But are they really microwaved then?

    And i wonder, if the disc is spinning, will they figure out where to move?

    Yh6tI4T.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.