As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]TLETECH

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
So I've only been waiting for this for like three years. At 9am Pacific time, BATTLETECH unlocks on Steam and GOG for PC and Mac!

w5yLNC7.jpg?1

Opening cinematic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGY4UMScyU

BATTLETECH is a game of turn-based tactical 'mech combat that puts you in the role of a commander of a ragtag mercenary mech company. You take jobs, fight battles, and use your payment to hire better pilots, buy bigger guns, and so forth, so you can take more dangerous jobs for more money. Along the way you help a deposed ruler avenge a betrayal and regain her crown.

It's half XCOM, half Freelancer, with giant robots, and it's all done in the classic BattleTech wargame/roleplaying/video game IP, in a modern game by the setting's original creator, Jordan Weisman.

The Combat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HereJw4XP4

The Business Sim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJiPxCS1yvs

What is BattleTech?
- Battletech is the name of a setting for a tabletop wargame (also called Battletech) and a pen-and-paper roleplaying game called MechWarrior, as well as decades of tie-in novels, a cartoon series, comic books, etc. MechWarrior got used as the title for two Super Nintendo games and the series of classic PC mech shooter games set in the Battletech universe, leading to decades of brand confusion. Battletech and Mechwarrior are the same thing.

3a9hZ4A.png
Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (1989)

- The vibe of Battletech is "Game of Thrones with giant robots." It's a world of backstabbing medieval politics combined with sci-fi military tactics. The creators were inspired by the Macross anime, and even licensed some Macross designs for use as Battletech robots, but they were also hardcore science fiction and military fiction nerds so it's a much more hard sci-fi take on how robots would work. Battlemechs aren't athletic, they don't do graceful kung-fu jumps over buildings. They're stompy, bulky tanks and have real-life problems like overheating and falling over.

1TMXQpl.png
Mechwarrior(SNES) (1993)

- The backstory is that humans spend the next few hundred years colonizing space in all directions, creating a big ball of settled space around Earth, or the "Inner Sphere.” Eventually the planets of the Inner Sphere unite to form the Star League, a single government for humanity. There are hundreds of years of progress and prosperity. However, the hereditary ruler of the Star League is betrayed and assassinated by his best friend and the Inner Sphere is plunged into bloody civil war. In its wake five huge Successor States, each ruled by a noble dynasty with a claim to the throne, start fighting over who should rule next, using Mechs on the battlefield and politics, spies, assassination, sex, and betrayal everywhere else.

LbdR3bO.jpg
The Inner Sphere, circa 3025

- In the world of Battletech, faster than light travel is slow. It takes a while to get places. FTL communication is also slow and unreliable. A leader can't direct their troops or command their bureaucracy from the capital, because it can take a month to get news from the front lines and another month to send orders back. So leaders appoint people they can trust - family members and friends - to take charge in their name in exchange for a promise of loyalty, creating a modern feudal system of lords, ladies, dukes and barons. In this society, Mech pilots are like knights. Every noble family has its Mech that gets passed down, like getting your father's sword. That's what your person in this game is.

sggCwyZ.jpg
Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (1996)

- This game is set in the Periphery, the less-colonized space at the edge of the Inner Sphere. The unending wars between the Successor States aren’t as much of a thing here, but this place has its own problems. It's a smaller pond, but you get to be a bigger fish.
iU4LK5C.jpg
Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance (2000)

- Like Star Wars, Battletech has a big fictional timeline of different events spanning decades. This game takes place in 3025, where the Battletech game began when it first came out in 1984. It's kind of going back to basics. A lot of people who've played bits and pieces of the other games will wonder where certain elements - like certain mechs, or the "clans" - are. The short answer is that they aren't part of the setting yet. That makes this a great place to jump on.

Og2Y7dg.png?1
BATTLETECH (2018)

I said that I've been waiting for this game for three years, and that's true, but in a more general way I've been waiting for it for more like 25 years, since I first got hooked on MechWarrior on the SNES and wanted more of this world. A great sci-fi setting is finally being done justice in a terrific-looking, narrative-heavy game, and I'm excited for the chance to share this fun with a new brood of nerdlings.

BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    @Jacobkosh I was literally about to make a post about how jazzed I was the game was finally out, and bemoan how I have to wait seven more hours to play it.

This abuse of power.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Alazull wrote: »
    @Jacobkosh I was literally about to make a post about how jazzed I was the game was finally out, and bemoan how I have to wait seven more hours to play it.

This abuse of power.

I don't have the game in my hands, though, so as you see, power is truly naught but dust and vanity

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    What is power for if not abuse? It's not like with power there must also come responsibility.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh is battletech an xcom like thing? i thought it was like, real time action combat. what was the latest one of those with mechs

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    When I saw your post locking the last thread I already knew what this was gonna be.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Battletech and Frostpunk on the same day! Who's ready to be utterly unproductive for the rest of the week?!

*bounces off walls with excitement, but lazily, because it's 5am*

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    "dadsign" is what you cry out to warn your tribesmen of an approaching dad in the deep desert

Walk without rhythm

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    very good intro cinematic

cB557 on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    "dadsign" is what you cry out to warn your tribesmen of an approaching dad in the deep desert

Walk without rhythm

and you won't

attract

the worm

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    I wish my computer was a bit more reliable, I would probably stream it.

Maybe I still will, but I also kind of want to take on Kulve Taroth sooner rather than later.

Gaming decisions...

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    oh is battletech an xcom like thing? i thought it was like, real time action combat. what was the latest one of those with mechs

The last one of those in the shared Battletech universe is Mechwarrior Online

Though Mechwarrior 5 is supposedly still in development

There was about a decade where the IP was shelved in the videogame realm because Microsoft subsidiary and videogame license holder FASA Studios was shuttered after the commercial failure of the Shadowrun (2007) FPS.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Mechwarrior is the real time action combat games.

Battletech is an adaptation of the miniature tabletop game Mechwarrior is based on, IIRC.

Also IIRC, Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is coming out this year as well? If so, looking forward to it.

• Options
    Alazull wrote: »

Mechwarrior is the real time action combat games.

Battletech is an adaptation of the miniature tabletop game Mechwarrior is based on, IIRC.

Also IIRC, Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is coming out this year as well? If so, looking forward to it.

It’s scheduled to yes but frankly I’ll believe it when I see it.

Besides the developer there is still embroiled in legal issues regarding certain mech designs. The plaintiff in that action doesn’t actually have a case anymore but, yknow, legal system so who knows

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2018

this, or it will be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqtebt0DBOo

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Beaglerush was trying to get max salvage from a Grasshopper. He'd stripped it of all weapons, both arms, and had knocked it down. The enemy pilot had 1 hp left.

And then

https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareTastyLocustNerfRedBlaster

@Elldren @Thomamelas @Mazzyx @RiemannLives

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    hmmm ok

as an explosion-loving simpleton, that is the game for me i think

i take strategy games as an unwelcome affront and challenge to my sense of intellectual self-worth

i'm like jerry with the dog in rick and morty

• Options
    You just wanted me to awesome that post twice didn’t you jake?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    You just wanted me to awesome that post twice didn’t you jake?

I mean, I'm not going to say no.

• Options
    Beaglerush was trying to get max salvage from a Grasshopper. He'd stripped it of all weapons, both arms, and had knocked it down. The enemy pilot had 1 hp left.

And then

https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareTastyLocustNerfRedBlaster

@Elldren @Thomamelas @Mazzyx @RiemannLives

I've always loved this as a feature of these games.

Sure, you can get the kill, but it comes at a cost in salvage. However, no amount of salvage makes up for losing a 'mech of your own.

Unless of course it's trading out a light for sniping the cockpit out of an Atlas I guess.

Getting way too hype, should try to sleep.

• Options
    hmmm ok

i take strategy games as an unwelcome affront and challenge to my sense of intellectual self-worth

MWO is produced by those same developers but as a f2p multiplayer arena death match thing it might not be your jam.

In fact knowing what I do of your videogame tastes chu I will explicitly say to not bother with MWO

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    wait do i dislike death match stuff

i don't even know what i like anymore

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've been really impressed with HBS in the past between how they've pretty much erradicated the need for publishers from their funding systems to how they keep those production costs low by focusing more on good gameplay and writing without having to worry about quadrillion poly counts or hiring triple a VAs.

Like, that intro cinematic was just fucking beautiful and didn't need a single line of spoken dialogue to communicate the wonder and tradjedy of battletech.

• Options
    hmmm ok

your lack of belief in yourself troubles me

i know you have a tactical genius buried within who can rout eight enemy platoons from the golan heights armed with nothing but rubber bands and roofing nails

but that said, if that game comes out and is good i will be playing it and it is gonna have co-op so u better love them explosions : x

• Options
    'Chu let's go rout some platoons right now

• Options
    wait do i dislike death match stuff

i don't even know what i like anymore

It’s the grindy free to play gameplay loop that I think specifically will turn to ash in your mouth

That and the fact that it’s a one spawn only counterstrikeish-style deal

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    hmmm ok

i know you have a tactical genius buried within who can rout eight enemy platoons from the golan heights armed with nothing but rubber bands and roofing nails

but that said, if that game comes out and is good i will be playing it and it is gonna have co-op so u better love them explosions : x

do you remember how some people played spec ops the line and they were furious that the game had the gall to lecture them, to challenge them, to make them do anything but have a short, neat, pat experience

that is me with strategy or puzzle games

one time i started to play the witness and my interest petered out a little bit. DK implied maybe it's because i'm not smart enough for the game

so i started jerking off on public transit and thought about mailing bombs to congress

WHO DOES THIS GAME THINK IT IS, LAYING CLEAR MY INADEQUACY

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    I've been really impressed with HBS in the past between how they've pretty much erradicated the need for publishers from their funding systems to how they keep those production costs low by focusing more on good gameplay and writing without having to worry about quadrillion poly counts or hiring triple a VAs.

Like, that intro cinematic was just fucking beautiful and didn't need a single line of spoken dialogue to communicate the wonder and tradjedy of battletech.

I agree, although in this case Battletech is being published by Paradox

which made some fans mad, I guess they had visions of walls of $2.99 DLC or something, but in this case I feel like it made sense. This game represents HBS reaching for the brass ring and trying to step up a couple of notches from super indie developer to, like, AA developer

I hope it pays off for them (and it seems to, it was #1 on Steam global sellers an hour or two ago). The studio super deserves it. I really appreciate the honesty and straightforwardness of how they do business (including just saying "no" to things instead of stringing people along), and as a bonus they make things I actually want to play. A lot of indie devs are interesting people with interesting perspectives but maybe I don't wanna play their game about a sock that has anxiety or whatever.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    As an anxiety-ridden sock,

• Options
    also if a game requires that i manage potions and paralyze effects and poisons etc i turn down the difficulty until i don't need to manage those things anymore because it hurts my brain

• Options
    I am already 50% behind my reading goal for the year. In my defence, I've read a couple of big fat history books, but the prosecution will also note that I've counted a couple of trade paperback comics as well, so that probably evens out.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Morning and happy mech day!

• Options
    hmmm ok

do you remember how some people played spec ops the line and they were furious that the game had the gall to lecture them, to challenge them, to make them do anything but have a short, neat, pat experience

that is me with strategy or puzzle games

one time i started to play the witness and my interest petered out a little bit. DK implied maybe it's because i'm not smart enough for the game

so i started jerking off on public transit and thought about mailing bombs to congress

WHO DOES THIS GAME THINK IT IS, LAYING CLEAR MY INADEQUACY

chu DK is cruel to you

I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but

• Options
    also if a game requires that i manage potions and paralyze effects and poisons etc i turn down the difficulty until i don't need to manage those things anymore because it hurts my brain

It depends on the game for me.

Like, these are an element in both Skyrim and Pillars of Eternity, but I have that tactical part of my brain that I can turn on and enjoy the PoE experience

Whereas the thought of having to worry about stuns and status effects and damage over time in Skyrim disgusts me

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am already 50% behind my reading goal for the year. In my defence, I've read a couple of big fat history books, but the prosecution will also note that I've counted a couple of trade paperback comics as well, so that probably evens out.

what history books did you read?

• Options

The Road to the Blowjob: An Historiographical Examination From Suck to Slurp

• Options
    i am of course only guessing

• Options
    The Witcher 3 has a lot of those potion/decoction/poison/toxin systems in it and I'm sure they're great and all but I haven't touched them unless it's been quest-specific stuff like you die if you don't drink this while wandering through the toxic cloud. I've barely used the signs except the shield one and the one that makes bad guys fight each other. I guess in higher difficulties they're important, but honestly just hitting things with my sword and dodging is fun enough for me.

I could do without weapon degradation as well, but I can't think of any game wherre it's anything other than a pain. I guess people say it works in Zelda, so OK, but aside from that it's like the game tugging your sleeve to stop having fun and go pay a blacksmith or use a repair kit and what's the point?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I just spent a whole uninterrupted hour reading a book, please not all at once hold your applause, I’m only one man.

Tomorrow I’ll get on this new HBS game.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

The Silk Roads, a history of the world but angled so that the middle east is the focus rather than the usual Greece, then Rome, then the Dark Ages then the Renaissance etc , and Dynasty, a history of the Julian/Claudian Emperors. Both excellent.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i love macross

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.