As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alchemist Code] Yauras, we hardly knew ye

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Ended up with J2 Zain and Yauras, trying to decide if Zain is a good rainbow shard dump or if I should only use Light shards and keep hoarding rainbow

Also a Lucretia! So I've got 50% PAtk leaders for three elements

And Mielikki again on my 5* ticket. I fucking keep drawing her, I've got her at lb10 now. If I was going to keep drawing a limited unit over and over again, I'd really rather it be Balt or something.

EDIT: Farming Kanon's boots makes me want to die

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I did it!

UkA0KeH.png?1

Lucretia literally sitting there doing nothing except providing +50% Thunder PAtk was the deciding factor

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Fuck off, this is a game?! Holy shit, this is a game game! Holy shit, it is amazing! Holy shit, kinda doesn’t pull punches either.

Well I have been very pleasantly surprised.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I started off getting a cool looking dude with lightning guns, a Knight lady with a lightsaber, a samurai lady who looked badass, and then the chemist woman with her boobs hanging out. Every character since then has been boobs. I'm kinda unimpressed with the character design.

Other than that, the game is pretty fun so far. I have no idea what to do so I'm just working through the story for now since I get trashed in the event dungeons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'm actually loving these Sacred Stone Memories event stories, horrible equipment grind aside. Just mastered Kanon's Apprentice Paladin job and started up the second chapter now.

Next up, Kagura farming.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Who should I pick for my free 4*?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Who should I pick for my free 4*?

Do you have Zangetsu? I'd strongly consider taking him if not

Otherwise Lucian is also extremely strong at J3, and Rahu and Lofia are very good support characters

All of them are farmable, as well

• Options
    I don't have Zangetsu but I have Vettel who is already a fire swordsman, so I figured I should go with something else. I'll probably go with Lucian, he sounds cool.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Just got another Spica as my daily summon, so I guess I can limit break her to thief. But then the job doesn't unlock so eh?

F2P games are so obtuse if you don't play from day one.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Just got another Spica as my daily summon, so I guess I can limit break her to thief. But then the job doesn't unlock so eh?

Once you get the limit break to the pint where you can unlock a new job, you need to get six job tokens for it. They're easy to get in the events section or multiplayer.

• Options

It took me so long to figure that out...

• Options
    Heads up, farming Kagura's evolution mats makes Kanon's equipment grind a fond memories, goddamn

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Tip: If you're not sure where to get something in-game, tap on it. Usually it'll pop up a quick-link to take you there directly. It may not always be the MOST efficient method, but it's usually pretty close.

In general, getting Evolution and Job Token mats via multiplayer is the way to go, even if you host, because the cost is half AP and you get Multi-coins, which can be exchanged for goodies.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Pulled Spica with my free pull today, pretty excited about that. If only because Axes are cool!

Any thoughts on team comp? I have:

Vettel
    Spica
    Fate Zahar
    Elizabeth
    Aswald
    Chloe

Vincent
    Victor
    Rahu
    Lucian
    Chihaya

Vanekis(?)

Brody on

• Options
    Lucian and Rahu are top tier 4* units that you should be farming their shards every day, Chihaya is also a solid Chronomancer once she's limit broken some

Vanekis is useable, but not great, she gets a little better latter when she gets Sage+

Chloe and Vettel are totally serviceable 5*s, and are also farmable so you probably ought to work on them; Vettel improves greatly with access to Holy Cavalier, same with Chloe when she gets Holy Cavalier on her third job

Aswald is a solid unit even at J1 because of her Shadow Assassin job

More 5*s will become farmable later on down the line, like Spica, Elizabeth, and Aswald as well

As for leader units, Vettel makes a pretty good leader unit because his Slash bonus is element agnostic, and it'll be awhile before you can run mono-element teams effectively

• Options
    Will the limited characters ever be farmable? I got Fate Lamia and it looks like there's no easy way to get stuff for her. And I rather like her.

• Options
    Will the limited characters ever be farmable? I got Fate Lamia and it looks like there's no easy way to get stuff for her. And I rather like her.

Sadly, no

You can pump elemental and/or rainbow shards into characters to limit break them, but the real issue is that characters with unique jobs have equipment at job levels 9, 10, and 11 usually that can't be obtained outside of their event

In the case of Fate Lamia, she has three unique jobs; so without her unique gear, you'll be stuck at job level 9 with all of her jobs and thus she'll fall far behind

If you get any collab event character you might want to use down the line, the most important thing is to make sure you have whatever unique gear they need. Like for Fate Yomi I had to make sure I had three copies of her Caster equipment even though I haven't unlocked that job yet, so that eventually once I do get her to lb15 I can max out her Caster job

• Options
    Well, that's rather shit. Thanks for the warning, I'll throw her on the bench.

• Options
    Fate Lamia is interesting, but she really needs her second job to shine, and even then there are better water units out there. For example, Yauras on the current banner is only semi-limited (she comes back about every 4-6 weeks, along with the rest of the Sacred Stones units), and does a lot of the same things (buffable PATK, high evade, water-based).

It's not so bad, really. I think for every collab unit that's solid, there's others that are just OK, so it's not always worthwhile to dump resources into one just because you pulled it. It can lead to a LOT of farming for a unit that you only use rarely (or never).

As for team composition, unlike a lot of mobile RPGs/tactics games, support units are actually really useful here. Status are applied somewhat liberally, and they can be hard to resist unless you're using Gear explicitly to resist it (and even then!). For example, the current EX level has archers that tend to Silence your mages, and it basically always hits. Using an item or a Professor/Chemist to remove that can mean the difference between completing the level and not. They can also heal, which is always helpful.

• Options
    Oh I figured as much. Just like FFBE, not every 5* is useful. I just like her character design since she's not 80% boobs like I mentioned above.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been running Vettel, Elizabeth, Zahar, and then w/e story character.

• Options
    Seems like the only "bad" Sacred Stones unit is Cadanova, (Who I of course pulled) and he gets buffed to be decent down the line

Makes pulling on the SSM banners almost always a good choice

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Any thoughts on team comp? I have:

Vettel
    Spica
    Fate Zahar
    Elizabeth
    Aswald
    Chloe

Vincent
    Victor
    Rahu
    Lucian
    Chihaya

A lot of it depends on the LB level. Vettel is OK at LB60, but at 65 when he gets his Holy Cavalier job, he becomes a very tanky unit because you can put Divine Shelter on him as well as the "Basic Magic Swordsman" job, giving you a tank that can do elemental/magic damage.

Elizabeth is useful as a professor right out of the gate, and gets better with each new job. She's not top tier or anything, but she's solid and I use her quite a bit. Fate Zahar is also pretty fun but only if you have his Berserker job unlocked (otherwise, I wouldn't spend shards on him).

Aswald can actually work really well if you play cautiously. She can kill from afar and also inflict CC, so you could keep her behind Vettel and Spica, rushing out occasionally to refill her jewels. It wouldn't take that long and could let you beat a lot of otherwise challenging content. Not THE most challenging content, but a lot of it, I'd think. If Vettel is in the lead, his Slash passive would give Aswald a 30% boost to her damage (more than her own boost), too. His passive also boosts Spica, so, there you go.

• Options
    Are either of Yaurus/Zain worth spending more than the 500pc pull on?

• Options
    Zain is good, and gets better with his other jobs. Yauras is "just ok." Both will be back, this "Sacred Stone Memories" thing is a recurring side story and the units become available on-banner and also get job boosts then.

JP eventually got Zain for free for completing a challenge board (like the "complete this level" stuff), so there's that. Personally, if you're not spending any money, doing the 500 pull weekly is a good move but saving up the rest for collab units you like is ideal. For example, you could pull Spica today, or when you're pulling for Laharl, but obviously the inverse isn't true.

The downside to pulling either unit (or, honestly, many of the collab units) is that to master their special jobs, you have to farm their equipment, which is usually done on the high-level event stages, and those aren't really new player friendly.

• Options
    Yauras improves later on (As do a bunch of currently bad or mediocre units)

Zain is real real good though, I'm pretty glad I got him to J2

• Options
    edited May 2018
    It was kind of a nightmare, but I finally got Kagura to 5* and JM'd her second job

I'm finally ready to start SSM chapter 4 now (I don't have Kudanstein so I'm not gonna farm his spear yet)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    user name: maguano, if anyone needs a friend...

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    I really wish we had more Friend slots. I have 33 and that's, like, almost none. I'm going to clear some up so that I can have real friends (well, more than just randos :D ) on my list to help out and such. I have a very tanky Forcas up for the current event, and she does very well on the left side for the EX map.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Likewise I put my Illya up as my friend slot because I hear she is very good for the current event

EDIT: My ign is Maddoc and friend ID is IKHJTIAD if anyone wants to shoot me a request, I've got plenty of spots open

Maddoc on
  • Options
    I've sent you a request.

My friend code for anyone who wants to add me is: vi1yxioj and my ign is eggytoast, obviously. I've cleared up a handful of spots.

• Options
    Used Eggy's Forcas on a random mission

Ended up with her standing in front of my Gilgamesh

Spearman runs up, attacks my Gilgamesh, my Gilgamesh pre-emptively counters with Forestall and just completely obliterates the back of Forcas' head

Good times

• Options
    Looks like Mei Fang, Deneb, Gormalas, and Soleil are coming soon

Mei Fang and Gormalas are supposedly very good

• Options
    And they're here! But, not so easy to get just yet. We do have a special "bonus" summon banner that seems like a good deal if you are thrifty with your gems. 500 for the new banner, and 500 for a generic banner.

Also, new Veda tower! For you new guys, this is a particularly fun challenge area, where you run up against a mix of different enemy types. Often, it's a mono-element map, so bringing thunder units against water enemies is advised. Also, HP and death status are kept from level to level (you can restore all once per day), so bringing support units to heal you up at the end of a fight is ideal.

Often the enemies start with a bullshit move, like boosting everyone's PDEF to the moon, and you can either a) somehow kill that buffer first or b) wait it out or c) work against it with creative planning.

There is no penalty to retreating and trying again, and there is no AP cost so you can try as much as you like. Importantly, HP and KO status is retained for enemies, too, so a viable strategy is to just throw crappy units at a level to kill off certain enemies and then bring in your ringers to clean it up.

The point of all this, besides fun maps, is that the rewards are pretty amazing. Shards, summon tickets, and once you complete it you can do it again (for free each time it returns) for Veda Coins, which you can exchange for more goodies.

• Options
    Apparently next week will be a Mei Fang/Gormalas 3 step banner?

If so, that'll be a really nice one

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Between those two 500 pulls, I got Zahar, Dorothea, Caris, and Lupinus. Pretty good pull as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: And a 5* ticket from somewhere got me Lucretia.

Brody on

• Options
    Nice pulls. Dorothea in particular is strong now and remains strong. Necromancer is a top-tier job in a lot of ways, and if you luck into pulling another Dorothea, she's really great with a mix of Magic Swordsman and Necromancer.

Lupinus should shine for you next week, as the Hard map is geared towards magic users.

• Options
    I haven't really been able to break into the hard maps yet.

• Options
    500 pulls on both of those banners gave me a stack of blues. Ouch!

• Options
    I've definitely had a couple bad pulls like that, but after playing for almost two weeks, I've got 9 5*'s and 7 4*'s that show up well on tier lists, so I definitely feel like the rates are nothing to worry about.