As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Achieve your dreams… or post in [chat]?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I have a Dragon and a Jeagermech. Both seem kinda underwhelming.
    I have to do something about the Jaeger, it's like a heavy mech built out of paper.

For a while I was running an AC10 and 2 AC/5s on the Jager, and keeping it at pretty long range, and that was good, except there were only 8 AC10 bullets, which got iffy in long engagements.

Then the AC10 arm got blown off and I decided to just go for 3 AC5s and a bit more ammo, which left me with some weight allowance to increase armor. So now the Jager is tanky and does very reliable solid damage from quite long range.
    Kamiro wrote: »
    credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

My cent build was super solid.

AC/5 in the arm+2 SRM4s+SRM6. Maxed armor mostly. Was able to always alpha strike. The right positioning is wonky but it is mostly staying around 90-100 m away for max missile+ac damage.

I actually swapped it down to three SRM/4s for another ton of ammo and got an AC/5++ in it before bed. Looking forward to using it more.

I'm really looking forward to playing more tonight/this weekend; I didn't get to yesterday and I am jonesing

I have to go to a wedding instead of playing Battletech. I still need to find a mech that is heavier than 65 tons.

I have two different Orion models :D

The Orion is one of my favorite mechs. Super versatile. Also one of the mechs I always did well with MWO.

I kind of want to build the most massive missile boat catapult.

One of the Orions is just running 2LRM20 and 1LRM15 and it is really fun

also putting someone without multishot in it so you can't split fire, and using it to take out a vehicle. Vehicle dies partway through the first volley and then you send another 40 or so missiles into its exploded chassis for massive overkill. It's really funny to watch

My current builds (I am still early game):

Shadowhawk-JJ, max armor, LRM10+LRM5, Large Laser
    Centurion-Max armor, AC5++, 3xSRM4
    Jenner-2x ML, JJ, 2x SRM2
    Vindicator-1xPPC, 3xML, 1xSL with JJ and lots of overheating still good though

Also a Blackjack with 2xAC2+2xML with max armor.

maxing armor is for cowards and should only be done if you seriously can't fit any more cool guns in there
    like yes I did it for the Jager but only because I couldn't fit another AC of proper caliber and I wasn't interested in adding jump jets or whatever
    every other model gets the armor it came with! The blackjack is a deathtrap and will remain so until the end of time (but I put it in storage quite a while ago)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I have to do something about the Jaeger, it's like a heavy mech built out of paper.
    The Jagermech is an excellent chassis for a heavy 'Mech weapons platform! Both variants can be built into something good. But you need to max out their armor (sort of... when I say "Max out armor", I really mean max out front armor, but you can strip off a ton or two from the rear armor since it's highly unlikely that you will get flanked and cored out if you play well). You get around 23 tons of weapons after maxing out Front armor.

The JM6-A is a missile carrier. You can make it your main missile boat and slap on a pair of LRM 20s and 3 tons of ammo. Or you can dump a bunch of SRM-4s (which saves you on heat compared to SRM-6s), a couple tons of ammo, a pair of Medium Lasers, and heat sinks/jump jets to taste, and make it a formidable mid-range brawler. I'd always fill the support hardpoints, too, with a pair of Small Lasers, since 1 ton = 40 damage, which is a great value proposition.

The JM6-S is a nice Energy Weapon boat and Ballistics platform. I'd put an AC-20 on there with two tons of ammo, and fill up the rest of the tonnage with Medium and Small Lasers to fill up the hardpoints.

Yeah, so far I haven't much experimented with load outs, that's why I'm beginning to struggle on some missions, I think.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

i think one of the lies that we tell ourselves is that changes feel big, meaningful, and pronounced

but that feeling comes from simple changes in routine, not changes in how we relate to our environment, mindset etc

which is why relapse into old habits is super common

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I will hear no criticism of our modern-day Edison.

Laa laa aaaaaaaaaaa can't hear youu

I dunno, spool

I'm as big a fan as everyone but I kinda draw the line at "people getting hurt in non-rocket-related explosions"

It's still gonna be a while before no one EVER gets hurt in rocket-related explosions, okay

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I saw a hornet in my backyard yesterday

Today I pay a man to murder every insect possible

Just throw it back, its a cool game.

0d6e2dqhzitw.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Why not use orange if you don't like yellow?

Orange has yellow in it. Disgusting. Let them eat cake.

How about hot pink?

Not a good safety colour. Pinks and purples, even highly saturated, can look grey to me and I'm only moderately colourblind

How about grays?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Eh, long as Musk keeps launching rockets I'm don't care how weird his meetings go or what he does in them.

The entire financial industry controls basically everything, but produces nothing. I would like more people to shut them out like that.
    Except he has a financial and legal obligation to his shareholders and those that invest in his company.

To people who don't produce anything, and instead move money around enough that no one notices when they take a bunch off of the top.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Patton Oswalt has specifically addressed saying shitty things in the past and pretty much every time he's called out for his words he's pretty apologetic and agrees it was wrong.
    I mean 12 years ago I was 20x worse than Patton so I dunno. There's gotta be a balance for being accountable for your past words and having them held against you forever. Eventually we're gonna have to reconcile this in our digital world

for me pretty much anything is forgivable if the person shows a willingness to understand and change

it's patterns of unrepentant shittiness that should be condemned

otoh, when your explanation of your past shitty behavior is literally the-hackers-did-it, and you keep doubling down on this explanation, that is kinda fucked up

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    note to self do not post on second to last page because thats how you always end up getting picked by geth to make chats when you dont have time

e: god damn it

Casual on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    I'm a little bit leery of the "musk doesn't like yellow so there's no yellow" line

not that I discount what the people are saying in that article completely but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt

If it was like, a common but not universal safety practice, or something that would cost money, I'd be a bit leery about that explanation as well. But yellow warnings is literally universal and basically free, so the only reasons for not having yellow are an insane demand from management, or being a fly-by-night hackjob of a facility that never hired any safety consultants or blatantly ignored them. Neither is good.

I mean the factory's rebuttal of pictures of things that are yellow is a pretty decent rebuttal that serves to make me think that the complainer is at least a little hyperbolic

I had not seen that yet, so fair enough. Though of the photos, two are different angles of the same segment of railing and another is of a pre-purchased movable sign with a small amount of yellow, so it's also not the most compelling evidence. One of the pictures is even that same kind of railing painted red the whole way with a yellow end cap!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

How about hot pink?

Not a good safety colour. Pinks and purples, even highly saturated, can look grey to me and I'm only moderately colourblind

How about grays?

Gray looks grey-ish. Mostly.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    If the leak was short term and fixed then the water actually does drain out, you shouldn't suddenly have mold issues. Bathroom drywall is supposed to be the mold resistant stuff.

But if your electrical ain't on a GFCI in the bathroom, they might also have skipped the green sheetrock.

The bathroom wall is kinda bulging/folding a bit which makes me very concerned

The outlet is right outside the bathroom. It's a 1 bedroom apartment, bathroom, living room, bedroom are connected by a tiny little square "hallway" that has it's own lightswitch on the plate with the sparking plugs.

Hopefully the water's not a concern, just the wall being wet is worrying. I'm guessing they're gonna fix the outlet to be fine but there's probably some way to test it afterwards to be sure it's safe? Maybe they will put in the GFCI one, that'd be nice.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    hahahahaha modern day edison

well would you like to hear about Edison then

because boy oh boy did they miss telling you some things in jr high

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    wait are we not talking about joy reid

it looked just like a conversation about joy reid -_-

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Tesla having to rely on investor funding rather than just being a personal project shows the current necessity of relying on people who don't directly create anything.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So guys do I start with the elephants or work my way up

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i heard elon musk electrocuted an elephant for his sexual gratification

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

How about hot pink?

How about grays?

Gray looks grey-ish. Mostly.

FINE NO COLORS AT ALL THEN

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

For a while I was running an AC10 and 2 AC/5s on the Jager, and keeping it at pretty long range, and that was good, except there were only 8 AC10 bullets, which got iffy in long engagements.

Then the AC10 arm got blown off and I decided to just go for 3 AC5s and a bit more ammo, which left me with some weight allowance to increase armor. So now the Jager is tanky and does very reliable solid damage from quite long range.
    credeiki I got to play some battletech last night and I am hankering for some right now.

AC/5 in the arm+2 SRM4s+SRM6. Maxed armor mostly. Was able to always alpha strike. The right positioning is wonky but it is mostly staying around 90-100 m away for max missile+ac damage.

I actually swapped it down to three SRM/4s for another ton of ammo and got an AC/5++ in it before bed. Looking forward to using it more.

I'm really looking forward to playing more tonight/this weekend; I didn't get to yesterday and I am jonesing

I have to go to a wedding instead of playing Battletech. I still need to find a mech that is heavier than 65 tons.

The Orion is one of my favorite mechs. Super versatile. Also one of the mechs I always did well with MWO.

also putting someone without multishot in it so you can't split fire, and using it to take out a vehicle. Vehicle dies partway through the first volley and then you send another 40 or so missiles into its exploded chassis for massive overkill. It's really funny to watch

If it were me, I'd replace the Shadowhawk's LRM-10 and -5 with an LRM-15. You save 3 Heat that way. That's a whole Heat Sink! Unless the 10 and 5 were both ++ models or something.* You can also save a ton if you go with 3 LRM-5s over an LRM-10 and LRM-5, but see my clustering note below.

Not all LRMs are created equal. Same with SRMs. For some reason, SRM-4s are 2 heat per missile, while SRM-2s are are 3 heat per missile. The SRM-6 is 14 heat, which is somewhere in between. For LRMs, the higher you go, the more heat you save. LRM-5 and LRM-10 are on par, heatwise, but LRM-15s get a discount (down to 1 heat per missile) and LRM-20s get even more of a discount (18 heat for 20 missiles).

* Given the way clustering in this game works (the initial target hit by the LRM is where the most hits are going to go, with most damage being concentrated near that part), there could be an argument for splitting your LRM racks, if you wanted to distribute damage over MORE body parts instead of concentrating them, but Battletech combat is about focusing on specific targets.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    because of billionaire talk I looked up Olav Thon - a very nice billionaire - and apparently his wife died yesterday.

63420708.jpg?imageId=63420708&width=1024&height=615
    Thon in his very iconic red hat.

Kind of an interesting thing because he's had a girlfriend for 30 years, and him and his wife have been separated for longer than that. He just never bothered to get divorced.

As he said, "She's been gone for a long time. One might say, why not get divorced when you've got a new life partner? But when you're this grown up and not planning on having a big flock of children, it's not necessary. Why not just let things go quietly and calmly, and at the same time take care of the one who's seriously ill?"

which is rather nice, if sad.

I should say former billionaire - in dollars - because he's given 25 billion kroner to the Olav Thon Foundation he founded, which then became norway's largest. I think he maybe has a billion or so left, mostly in the real estate he still manages because even at 94 he doesn't care for the idea of retirement

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    wait are we not talking about joy reid

it looked just like a conversation about joy reid -_-

Nope, don't think that has come up here as it may run foul of the no politics rule.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Hey maybe that elephant was a war criminal how can we know

• Options

The elephant thing wasn't Edison.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

i think one of the lies that we tell ourselves is that changes feel big, meaningful, and pronounced

but that feeling comes from simple changes in routine, not changes in how we relate to our environment, mindset etc

which is why relapse into old habits is super common

‘Tis just hard to make habits stick
    Takes a long time to make those brain connections rewire and overwrite the old ones, that’s science

It’s basically lots of just repeating the things with new routines forever until it really sticks
    But even then it’s easy to relapse, even if you’ve kept up the new habit for even a few years sometimes, if you fall off it (eg me and the gym)

poo
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The "dozen people between him and the factory owner" thing reminded me of something incredibly neat that happened around Thanksgiving, though.

Because of a certain interesting event at my company, an existing vacancy due to other interesting events before that, and a couple of conveniently timed vacations, for a single afternoon my chain of command, as an entry level employee, was:
    1. Me.
    2. My group leader.
    3. A major political figure who effectively owns the company I work for.

And that was it.

Pretty neat!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Alright well I still have plenty of ammo so

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

If it were me, I'd replace the Shadowhawk's LRM-10 and -5 with an LRM-15. You save 3 Heat that way. That's a whole Heat Sink! Unless the 10 and 5 were both ++ models or something.* You can also save a ton if you go with 3 LRM-5s over an LRM-10 and LRM-5, but see my clustering note below.

Not all LRMs are created equal. Same with SRMs. For some reason, SRM-4s are 2 heat per missile, while SRM-2s are are 3 heat per missile. The SRM-6 is 14 heat, which is somewhere in between. For LRMs, the higher you go, the more heat you save. LRM-5 and LRM-10 are on par, heatwise, but LRM-15s get a discount (down to 1 heat per missile) and LRM-20s get even more of a discount (18 heat for 20 missiles).

* Given the way clustering in this game works (the initial target hit by the LRM is where the most hits are going to go, with most damage being concentrated near that part), there could be an argument for splitting your LRM racks, if you wanted to distribute damage over MORE body parts instead of concentrating them, but Battletech combat is about focusing on specific targets.

Also since it is early I don't have an LRM15 in my inventory.

Merc life.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm a little bit leery of the "musk doesn't like yellow so there's no yellow" line

not that I discount what the people are saying in that article completely but I'm taking it with a pinch of salt

If it was like, a common but not universal safety practice, or something that would cost money, I'd be a bit leery about that explanation as well. But yellow warnings is literally universal and basically free, so the only reasons for not having yellow are an insane demand from management, or being a fly-by-night hackjob of a facility that never hired any safety consultants or blatantly ignored them. Neither is good.

I mean the factory's rebuttal of pictures of things that are yellow is a pretty decent rebuttal that serves to make me think that the complainer is at least a little hyperbolic

I had not seen that yet, so fair enough. Though of the photos, two are different angles of the same segment of railing and another is of a pre-purchased movable sign with a small amount of yellow, so it's also not the most compelling evidence. One of the pictures is even that same kind of railing painted red the whole way with a yellow end cap!

yeah it's kind of weak

also nobody requires railing to be yellow, I mean, railings don't really need to be any safety colour they mostly just need to be, y'know, there

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Also

One a rare day when my office area is super empty and quiet because a lot of people are gone there is a goddamn jackhammer right outside
    All day

Grumble

poo
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Alright well I still have plenty of ammo so

Edison probably did intend the offer of that bonus to Tesla to be a joke.

• Options
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also

One a rare day when my office area is super empty and quiet because a lot of people are gone there is a goddamn jackhammer right outside
    All day

Grumble

Have you heard of music

Let me tell you about an app called Spotify

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hilarious. My new windows 10 laptop does (or tries to do) its initial out of the box set up via voice control.

It's like living in a slightly rubbish future

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Then launched it into space to hide his shame

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As an in-house designer I've pretty much always been like 3 people away from the owner the company, even if I'm much lower on the totem pole in the over all company structure, they always want face time and input.

I'm not sure if this has been good or bad for me. I'm probably way too comfortable and casual with power dynamics. I also think most hierarchical structures are bullshit people buy way too hard into.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Yeah but who can say that hasn't

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

maxing armor is for cowards and should only be done if you seriously can't fit any more cool guns in there
    like yes I did it for the Jager but only because I couldn't fit another AC of proper caliber and I wasn't interested in adding jump jets or whatever
    every other model gets the armor it came with! The blackjack is a deathtrap and will remain so until the end of time (but I put it in storage quite a while ago)
    It's not if you max out the front armor. Sheesh.

Most of the stock 'Mechs have REALLY poor armor distribution and armor weight. The reason that they are death traps is precisely BECAUSE they don't have enough armor.

Blackjacks, in particular, are great for their weight for carrying weapons since their engine size is so low.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Also

All day

Grumble

Have you heard of music

Let me tell you about an app called Spotify

Yes and the new Jon Hopkins album is good

But sometimes I dunno I just wanna not have my headphones in

poo
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    Patton Oswalt has specifically addressed saying shitty things in the past and pretty much every time he's called out for his words he's pretty apologetic and agrees it was wrong.
    I mean 12 years ago I was 20x worse than Patton so I dunno. There's gotta be a balance for being accountable for your past words and having them held against you forever. Eventually we're gonna have to reconcile this in our digital world

for me pretty much anything is forgivable if the person shows a willingness to understand and change

it's patterns of unrepentant shittiness that should be condemned

otoh, when your explanation of your past shitty behavior is literally the-hackers-did-it, and you keep doubling down on this explanation, that is kinda fucked up

i don't want to follow this thread for fear of politics in [chat], suffice it to say i don't believe that would count as "a willingness to understand and change"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Also since it is early I don't have an LRM15 in my inventory.

Merc life.

One reason I decided to delay the story missions and go bop around earning money and new heavy mechs is that it allows me the time and resources to buy new weapons at the store and experiment with refitting my mechs. I have never had enough LRM20s on hand and always have to just go buy them.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.